[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I can't seem to get my pup crate trained. Been crating him

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20170209_140443.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170209_140443.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I can't seem to get my pup crate trained. Been crating him at night for 5 months now. Weeks go by with no issues, and then randomly he goes back to whining. My method is to place him outside for 5 minutes if he whines, but he just whines out there too. This will go on for hours for a few nights, then we go back to perfect nights, and then whinging again a few weeks later. What is the best way to solve this?
>>
I he excercised ebfore you put him in the crate? If he's not excercised he has pent up energy and that might make him anxious, causing him to whine
>>
you don't have put a cat in a crate unless you want to drown it in a river i can tell you that. what a retard of an animal a dog is
>>
>My method is to place him outside for 5 minutes if he whines
In other words:
>My method is to give him some sort of attention when he whines

There's your problem. If the puppy is whining in his crate you can't give him ANY attention. If you don't ignore him when he's whining, you end up reinforcing the whining because he learns he can get your attention by making noise.

Also, this: >>2317574
>>
>>2317543
Dogs don't "randomly" start doing things again. This isn't how behavior works. You need to figure out why he's doing what he's doing to fix the problem -- you can't just attribute it to "randomness." In fact, it's completely, totally, 100% your fault. It's pretty much always the owner's fault when dogs start acting out "randomly", really. You're straight up actively rewarding him for whining, so of COURSE he keeps doing it. You trained him to. If I was locked in my room and somebody let me out every time I screamed, i'd scream all the time too. Ignore him when he whines and reward him for going continually longer and longer periods. Don't punish him, either -- especially not with a goddamn reward -- it's still giving him attention and therefore rewarding him, even if it's negative attention.
>>
>>2317579
>what a retard of an animal a dog *owner is
crate training is literally an american meme, brought to you but the same savages that advocate declawing and cropping of ears/tail
>>
>>2317632
This this this this!
>>
>>2317622
>If you don't ignore him when he's whining, you end up reinforcing the whining because he learns he can get your attention by making noise.
whining may well be self-reinforcing, just like incessant barking.
ignoring it thus may fail miserably
>>
>>2317643
You don't JUST ignore the whining. You also reinforce quiet, calm behaviors of increasing duration.

What would your suggestion be? (I'm not being sarcastic or catty, I'm genuinely curious)
>>
>>2317654
do some exercise as other anons have suggested.

when it comes to getting rid of self-reinforcing behaviours I think there are 3 strategies:
1) stop the behaviour from occuring by making it impossible
2) put the behaviour on cue
3) teach a replacement behaviour

example for 1) is: your dog likes barking, so whenever it starts, give it a chewtoy, then it cant bark.
2) would be to train a "bark!" command
3) would be to get into a situation where your dog would normally start barking, and then make the dog do an alternative behaviour, and reinforce that (your suggestion)

all of that is from karen pryor's book btw. according to her book, 2) can be surprisingly effective
>>
>>2317665
Thanks, all good suggestions!

>2) put the behaviour on cue
Definitely this, I've personally had a lot of success with it (for example, preventing dogs from jumping onto furniture by teaching them a cue for jumping up onto something.)
>>
>>2317665
I think your example for 1) should be before it starts barking/right when it goes in the crate to give it a chew toy otherwise you're actively reinforcing the barking

Just my 2 cents but I think "put the behavior on cue" is a little risky for people who have no idea what they're doing because odds are they will only partially train the behavior, it won't be fully under stimulus control and they won't understand why their dogs barking has actually increased (been reinforced without being put under stimulus control)
>>
>>2317632
The "why" is he wants to be on the couch, he's made that very clear. He likes to always be around us, doesn't even like being outside. I've tried exercising before bed but it makes it worse, he seems to like 30 minutes cuddle time on the couch before bed. I've found just ignoring leads to hours of whining, and I have roomates.

>>2317665
I think putting it on cue might be helpful. Any suggestions on how to train it? The only time he whines or barks is when I'm out of sight so do I just click and treat to start?
>>
>>2317579
2/10

you tried, stinky catfag
>>
>>2317729
Don't exercise him RIGHT before bed--just more throughout the day/a few hours before bed.

Also,
>I've found just ignoring leads to hours of whining
This is because the whining behavior has worked in the past to get your attention. So if he's not getting attention right away, he'll keep doing it. The more you "give in" and pay attention to him after longer and longer periods of whining, the more he learns that he just has to whine for long enough.

Because you've been doing this, it will take a lot of time and patience to get him to unlearn that whining in his crate = get attention/get let out.

What you need to do is make sure to reward him for periods of silence. You can start off with short periods of time if needed (5-10 seconds or so) and just gradually build from there. This can be a little tedious (standing out of sight and waiting, etc.) but it is effective.

And of course, providing tasty treats than occupy his time (bully stick or stuffed Kong) can really help to keep him occupied and prevent him from whining. He can't bark or whine while he's chewing--so quietness is being automatically reinforced because the Kong/bully stick is rewarding.

>>2317729
>The only time he whines or barks is when I'm out of sight so do I just click and treat to start?
I wouldn't begin teaching it on cue while he's in his crate, that is a set-up for disaster
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.