[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /an/, what's the best way to [humanely] get rid of feral

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 5

File: 1920px-Herd_of_Cats.jpg (752KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1920px-Herd_of_Cats.jpg
752KB, 1920x1440px
Hey /an/, what's the best way to [humanely] get rid of feral cats living in your backyard? Our dog doesn't intimidate them and they're always back after I chase them away because the old lady next door keeps feeding them. Currently there's about 10 to 15 cats under our shed. I've lost count and I think they're inbreeding because their babies are slow to react, not cautious of humans, and have vision/sensory problems.
>>
shoot them
>>
Shoot them with Tylenol.
>>
Set up traps and send them to the shelter
>>
>>2317404
So they're euthanized there in an environment that's ten times more stressful or sent home with somebody who will throw them outside? Good plan.

Trap them and humanely euthanize them.
>>
>>2317407
Sounds like the babies might be able to be adopted at least
>>
>>2317381
They are probably ill, not inbred. If they aren't cautious of people you can bring the kittens to a shelter. As for humane euthanasia, unfortunately civilians are not allowed to own lethal injection and use it whenever. As far as humane goes, either quickly shooting a trapped cat in the head (doesn't need to be trapped if you're a good shot) or bring them somewhere to be euthanized. Alternatively, if you know anyone with orchards or farms, you could fix the cats and let them have the fixed cats. Do something with the kittens though, rotting corpses attract bad animals. If you are feeling confident you could raise kittens yourself and sell them for $20 a pop for about $5 of the effort. Or bring them to a shelter to let them deal with it.
>>
These cats carry cat aids. You need to trap and take the to a shelter. Even kittens will be aggressive towards people.
>>
y everyone always shut-in-down the pussy
>>
I'm sorry they're a ain't but Trap-Neuter-Return is probably the best. Google tnr+your city to find groups to ask for help. Killing them may be illegal and taking the to a shelter (without prior contact/planning) is insta-death.
>>
>>2318157
tnr is a shitty meme for bleeding hearts that doesnt work
>>
>>2317381
tylenol
>>
>>2318164

How does it not work?

>Trap: Animal is trapped
>Neuter: Animal is neutered
>Return: Animal is returned

Are you implying that some part of that fails? Are the cats un-neutering themselves? Are they walking back to the shelter after they're returned?
>>
>>2318179

TNR does nothing to address the ecological and property damage cats cause, and doesn't work in reducing feral cat unless you have a population of cats in which there is no immigration or emigration, a 100% success rate of trapping, and no pet abandonment. Needless to say the places and times where these three conditions are meet are extremely rare.
>>
Trap them in a cage and throw the cage into a 50 gallon drum full of water, OP. Fish them out an hour later and dump the contents of the cage innawoods or innahole or innaplayground. It's not as quick as just shooting them, but it's quieter and much cleaner.
>>
>>2318198
Don't be a sissy, op.

Use your hands
>>
Neko-neko-neko
>>
>>2318198
>hmmm, this influx of down cats and kittens in this no-where-near-the-water playground sure isn't peculiar.
>>
File: yum yum thanks for the chum.jpg (71KB, 563x497px) Image search: [Google]
yum yum thanks for the chum.jpg
71KB, 563x497px
>>2317381

Recycling is the best answer for unwanted strays.
>>
>>2317404
>>2317412
>>2317602
>>2318157
>>2317419
Thanks for the responses. Our local shelter doesn't take strays directly from citizens, but instead through animal control. The implications are pretty obvious. On top of that, anyone who has been feeding the cats for more than 10 days is considered their owner, therefore responsible for them. So they won't take away this lady's "pets" anyway.

>>2317608
They poop and piss all over the place. Like...think of the smell of a litterbox, and then apply it to literally anywhere outside. I can't go in one corner of our backyard because it's a landfill of cat shit. We've also had problems with them hiding in and under cars. :/
>>
>>2318209
>recycling
I'll take prion diseases for 500, Alex.
>>
>>2318210
Where abouts do you live, anon? South Florida?
>>
>>2318210
If you want the cats gone, kill them. Aint nobody else gonna do the work for you.
>>
>>2318216
i... i would
>>
>>2318208

Maybe OP lives in Oroville, CA? What then, smart guy?
>>
>>2318198
You have no honor
>>2318204
and you're just a barbarian.

What you really need to do is buy a sword and duel each one to the death. Either you vanquish all comers and reclaim your land or die valiantly in the attempt. Either way the spoils go to the most worthy.
>>
>>2318220
Then I'd say his cat problems are nearly solved
>>
>>2318218
I bet you could make money removing ferals from people's property. Is it legal for a pest exterminator to go after cats? It it's illegal you could still probably work off of craigslist.
>>
>>2318215
Jersey

>>2318216
Is it really going to come down to that? I was hoping they could be more or less banished, not dead.
>>
>>2318225
Well then.
>>
>>2318226
Just to make sure I'm understanding the situation properly. There are a lot of cats on your property that you don't want to be there. Local shelters won't accept the cats if you try to catch them and turn them over. Animal control won't take them because they're technically pets. Even if the lady who "owns" them wanted to keep them off your property she probably couldn't unless she's willing to make them indoor pets, which seems unlikely at best.

In all seriousness, it's probably still worth it to talk to the lady about the cats. Tell her you are having problems with them and ask her to stop feeding them and so on. Hopefully she's cooperative and the cats leave after the food stops. I don't really know much about cat psychology so I don't know if they'd actually leave even if the food does stop.

If the lady won't help or the cats stick around anyways then maybe you can catch them and turn them over to another shelter. You said the ones nearby won't take them, but could you drive a bit farther to a different shelter that would?

If that fails too maybe you could catch them then release them in the woods several or more miles away. They might just come back, I don't know cats well. This might also be illegal.

Barring all previous options I only see two remaining avenues. Kill them or learn to live with it. Since the cats are "pets" though I'd bet that killing them is illegal. Personally I think it's completely morally justifiable to kill animals who keep fucking up your property by shitting on it, but I'm just a dumbass on the internet so don't take that to court. The important part is that if you decide to kill them, be sneaky about it so you don't get in trouble for killing some lady's "pets".
>>
>>2318249
>be sneaky so you don't get in trouble for killing some ladies pets
This.
I became interested in cat killer cases for about a 2 week period and they all had 1 thing in common. Which is that the person killing the cats just started scattering their remains around outside. Not literally out the front door but houses away and into neighbors backyards.
>>
>>2318253
Not OP, but what are good ways to dispose of them? bury? burn? toss in a river?
>>
>>2318254

Dump innawoods
>>
If you are willing to spend a little money you can get those spinning rods for the tops of your fence so they can't jump over it. If not, cayote piss or general outdoor pet deterrent can be bought and put around your perimeter
>>
>>2318210
If they are legally her pets, then sue her for not keeping them off your property.
>>
>>2318253
Can I do the same thing to this ugly, shitty little dachsund my neighbors let run around outside all the time unsupervised? It pisses me off.
>>
>>2317381
Shooting them in the head probably
>>
I know this isn't the thread, but possums eat the food I leave out for the cats and there is no possum thread. How do I become friends with the possums?
>>
>>2318179
It also doesn't even fix the problem that it's attempting to, ecological effects aside. Neutered cats are just more likely to be chased out by much more aggressive intact males. All it does is displace them.
>>
>>2318254
As someone who cleans up roadkill cats/kittens every kitten season, my advice is in a bag and into the garbage can.
It's not the most sanctimonious method of disposal but the necessity of the situation dictated its use.
>>
>>2318258
The spinners don't work. Cats inevitably work their way to the stationary bits where the spindles are mounted.
>>
>>2317381
>babies are slow to react, not cautious of humans, and have vision/sensory problems.

In other words, their babies.
>>
File: crycat3.jpg (10KB, 251x241px) Image search: [Google]
crycat3.jpg
10KB, 251x241px
>>2317381
I feel that in this thread i ought to remind people of COMPASSION. If you were a feral cat, would you want to be shot in the head simply because some human found you a nuisance? What if the rich people started to act that way towards the rest of us?

Treat others how you would wish to be treated.
>>
>>2318414
by that argument I would have to let homeless people into my house.

do YOU let homeless people into YOUR house, or are you a complete hypocrite?

inb4 youre a complete hypocrite
>>
>>2318414
I feel that in this thread i ought to remind people of COMPASSION. If you were a fire ant, would you want to be killed simply because some human found you a nuisance? What if the rich people started to act that way towards the rest of us?
>>
>>2318414
I do treat others as I wish to be treated. However, it's unreasonable to place inherent value on the life of outdoor cats and especially feral cats.
Now my neighbors cat? That cat has value to its life by means of my neighbors affection for it as well as the time, money, and energy she's put out caring for him. When they're simply being horded then they've become pests and they ought to be dispatched and disposed of.
>>
>>2318191
There is no true study on the ecological problems cats cause. A study done on a small secluded island full of cats that people were feeding and zero predators isn't good enough evidence. We tried to study them but were cut funding but in that short time it was 90% mice and rats. They didn't even kill everyday either. The current estimation is they kill billions of birds which is highly unrealistic.
>>
>>2318438
Oh, look. Another delusional catfag. Whadda suprise.
>>
>>2317381
Small towns need feral cats. They help keep the rat population down. Feral cats might be annoying, but believe me, they are infinitely less of a pest than any type of rodents. Unless you think that the cat lady next door is feeding all of them enough for them to be as healthy as they are, I'd reccomend just keeping them around.

Also do not pet or touch them, they could you ringworm.
>>2318355
You can't, you just leave them alone.
>>
File: tumblr_nknskkHTXA1r6sw1uo1_1280.jpg (120KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nknskkHTXA1r6sw1uo1_1280.jpg
120KB, 640x960px
>>2318817
>Small towns need feral cats.
I love cats but no
Feral cats in small towns(which typically have more forests) are a big problem because cats are technically an invasive species. They kill too much.
>>
Not OP, but what kind of airsoft would you recommend to dispose of ferals?
>>
>>2318449
face it anon, survival of the cutest will win out over any sense of logic
>>
>>2317383
This.

Toss a frag grenade
>>
>>2318342
People should be allowed to lethally (but humanely) remove any pest animal that comes onto their property.
>>
>>2318817
>They help keep the rat population down

>>2162607
>>2162601
>>2162588
Because when given the choice between native wildlife that is a much easier catch and pest species that have evolved alongside cats and adapted to avoid them, cats will choose the much harder to hunt rats and mice, right?

Wrong, cats will obviously more often go after and successfully kill native species which have absolutely no adaptive defenses against them.

This is why rats and mice become even MORE prevalent in areas with free-roaming cats. After the cats start wiping out the native rodents, the pest rodents move in the fill the open niche.

>Identification of 68 prey items returned by cats indicated that 67% of 26 rodents, 95% of 21 birds and 100% of 11 lizards were native species

>In addition, over 85 percent of the native deer mice (Peromyscus maniculatus) and harvest mice (Reinthrodontomys megalotis) trapped were in the no cat area, whereas 79 percent of the house mice (Mus musculus), which is an exotic species to California and considered as pest, were found in the cat area. According to Hawkins (1998) “cats at artificially high densities, sustained by supplemental feeding, reduce abundance of native rodent and bird populations, change the rodent species composition, and may facilitate the expansion of the house mouse into new areas...” (Hawkins, 1998).

http://www.tau.ac.il/lifesci/zoology/members/yom-tov/inbal/cats.pdf
>>
Wolf or coyote pee. Get it at an outdoors or hunting store. There's also high pitched noise makers that act as a deterrent
>>
>>2317381
You can't. No matter how many you remove, there will ALWAYS be more because 90% of humanity is cancer and can't into responsibility. Wherever there are humans, there will ALWAYS be literally hundreds, thousands or more stray cats. And whenever they're gone, more come in and replace them.

The solution is actually to get rid of the humans in the area.
>>
>>2319180
It's easy enough to keep them off of your own property. I do it just fine.
>>
>>2318254
You don't want to get caught throwing dead animal carcasses in a public water way.
>>2318396
This is a better solution
>>
>>2319180
Is funny.
I've been secretly 1v1ing the feral community for less than a year and already have no ferals in the neighborhood.
Maybe you're doing it wrong
>>
>>2317381
If they don't have a food source then they will go off to look for food. Cut off their food source. Someone is feeding them.

The better way however would be to contact a few rescues and see if they can round up the herd.
>>
>>2318226

You should raise awareness somehow. Get them adopted on condition that they be neutered.

You might could even contact the media or something.
>>
>>2318871
I'm guessing you read the whole thing so maybe you can answer if it leaves room for this. It seems off to blame the greater number of invasive mice on the cats. Cats live where people are and so do mice. We give both pest species better conditions in which to thrive so how can they blame the cats and not the humans providing the environment?
>>
>>2318326
This right here. Make her take responsibility. There's also antifreeze if you change your mind about being humane. Extremely painful death though.
>>
>>2317381
gun
>>
This is what i did,

First off buy a Bag of catfood and lay them around the yard. Let the stray cats come around and eat the food. So the next time you do it. Put some rat poisoning pellets with the food. That should solve you problem. Note. There well die within 3-7 days.
>>
>>2319285
The study was done in two parks that were environmentally identical except that one had a free-roaming cat population and the other didn't
>>
>>2319486
They had the same human population sizes and living styles around them?
>>
>>2319495
Yes. There is another similar study involving two California canyons and the relationship between coyotes, FR cats, and native wildlife IIRC
>>
If you were someplace rural, I'd say grab the shotgun and aim for the head. It's how most humans prefer to go when committing suicide. But if you're in a town there probably isn't much that can be done without calling the authorities. Even laying out poison can be illegal if it harms anything else besides the pests.
>>
>>2317381
mark your territory. piss all over your backyard
>>
>>2319499
Then thank you for informing me
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.