[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could a fish swim in lava just like it does in water? Are there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8

Could a fish swim in lava just like it does in water? Are there possibly species of fish-type creatures in it that we haven't discovered?
>>
>>2316861
>Could a fish swim in lava just like it does in water?
>>
The fish would have to be extremely dense so they don't just float on the surface of the lava. They would have to be able to convert the heat into energy because I don't see them eating anything in the lava. I'm sure it's somehow possible but I don't know how they'd live.
>>
>>
>>2316872
Well, I think it works just like how other fish do, if they're in there. There's probably large and small ones and the large ones consume the smaller fish. I think that the smaller fish just eat the minerals.
>>
>>2316861

Could you swim in cement like you do in water?
>>
>>2316888
If it was wet like water, yeah. Not when it turns into hard though.
>>
>>2316891
water is a liquid, lava and cement aren't really, and they solidify
>>
>>2316896
Water isn't always a liquid either, it turns into ice sometimes and the fish still live in it and swim in it.

I just think that if it can survive extreme cold and it just needs to swim, that there's probably at least some species that are in lava as well.
>>
File: 1485057486970.png (29KB, 1050x756px) Image search: [Google]
1485057486970.png
29KB, 1050x756px
>>2316861
So anon this might get lengthy but bare with me. All life on earth is comprised of proteins. From the tiniest virus to your mom's ass every living thing is made of complex molecules of proteins, carbon, and oxygen along with other elements I'm too drunk to google. While there are life forms that can withstand immense heat and pressure (extremophiles) none can withstand the extremes of the earth's mantal. You would need a completely novel form of life bereft of the average building blocks we know and love. At that levels of heat no known protein or organic material as far as I know can survive. Silicon based life has been theorized but that's as far as my imagination goes. I can't begin to comprehend how a life form of such dense material would function on a micro level.
>>
>>2316910
I'm not talking about the earth's mantal, sorry. I just meant regular volcano lava.
>>
>>2316916
No, that shit is way too hot for any life even remotely similar to anything on earth to survive in no matter what adaptations it had.
>>
>>2316919
Could a fish swim in it though
>>
File: h3C32617C.gif (709KB, 320x255px) Image search: [Google]
h3C32617C.gif
709KB, 320x255px
>>2316916
The mantal is where the lava lives. It does under go significant cooling as it reaches the surface but still not close to what we'd need for life to thrive. According to the Googles life can't handle heat as well as it can cold. Organic carbon based life can not exist in temps exceeding 130 C. You'll notice that's just 30 degrees above the boiling temp of water at STP. Meanwhile tardigrades can chill in space for a few days and be relatively ok. Throw one in lava and it's fucked. For an organism to live in that environment i think it would have to have come from a separate lineage than all known life, be comprised of heavy metals, and function without oxygen.
>>
File: flying_shark__by_notesz-d59mb21.jpg (127KB, 900x635px) Image search: [Google]
flying_shark__by_notesz-d59mb21.jpg
127KB, 900x635px
>>2316921
No, lava isn't actually a liquid like water is. It's more like a sludge with bits of denser rock mixed in.
>>
>>2316925
Thank you. What about a turtle
>>
>>2316927
Absolutely.
>>
>>2316927
Turtles can only survive in lava as long as they are retracted into their shell.
>>
File: colbert057623.jpg (76KB, 402x352px) Image search: [Google]
colbert057623.jpg
76KB, 402x352px
>>2316897
>fish swim in ice
>>
File: 250px-324Torkoal.png (71KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-324Torkoal.png
71KB, 250x250px
>>2316927
>>
>>2316872
The fish would have to be nearly as dense as OP
>>
>>2319324
Fully sikk burn

RIP OP
>>
>>2316861
According to people in https://desuarchive.org/an/thread/2306075/#2306075 the thickness of the medium is irrelevant, so yes.
>life in lava
No.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.