[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people think that cats are smart? They don't even

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

File: images (27).jpg (19KB, 378x389px) Image search: [Google]
images (27).jpg
19KB, 378x389px
Why do people think that cats are smart? They don't even know what's going on around them most of the time.
>>
>>2315742
Because they are comparing them to most dogs.
>>
the real question is why do people think they're clean?

they're fucking gross
>>
>>2315749
Dogs are smarter than cats
>>
Cats are mostly calm and they prefer to look at things a lot before actually doing anything. Just like most smart people act
Dogs are mostly super excited goofballs running around with their tongue out. They don't look that smart
So yeah cats look smart, but they're fucking stupid
I still love both cats and dogs to death tho
>>
>>2315742
A lot of people associate being an aloof irredeemable cunt with intelligence.

See also: 4chan users.
>>
>They don't even know what's going on around them most of the time
And dogs do?
>random noise outside
WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOFWOOF WOOF WOOFWOOF WOOF WOOFWOOF WOOF WOOFWOOF WOOF WOOFWOOF WOOF WOOFWOOF WOOF WOOFWOOF WOOF WOOFWOOF WOOF WOOFWOOF WOOF WOOFWOOF WOOF WOOFWOOF WOOF WOOFWOOF WOOF WOOFWOOF WOOF WOOFWOOF WOOF WOOFWOOF WOOF WOOFWOOF WOOF WOOFWOOF WOOF WOOFWOOF WOOF WOOFWOOF WOOF WOOFWOOF WOOF WOOFWOOF WOOF WOOF
>>
>>2315774
>t. never had a dog or was too stupid to train it
>>
Cats are smart hunters. They suck at social intelligence.
>>
>>2315756
Very debatable. I see more dogs get killed and abused.
>>
>>2315787
You may reduce what they bark at or silence them at a command but they still do it faggot.

>>2315791
Pack animal (social) vs lone hunter (loner except breeding and raising babies if female). Wow who would have thought their brains aren't set up to be social like a pack animal.
>>
>>2315798
you may think you come across as intelligent but you don't faggot.
>>
People somehow conflate carnivorism with intelligence. Dogs and cats are not special in terms of brain capacity even after human selective breeding. The most intelligent domestic species (aside from man itself) is the pigeon.
>>
>>2315820
I think you ment crow
Or rat
Or chimp
Or octopus
Or dolphin
But not pigeon
>>
Cats are just decoration, they do nothing, they're useless
>>
>>2315862
-t. Don't have a cat

Or

-t. Never had vermin
>>
>>2315829
Of that list, only rat is domesticated.
>>
>>2316312
you're right, because i'm not fucking disgusting
>>
>>2315749
Not even close.

>>2315792
What does that have to do with anything?
>>
>>2316312

There are dog breeds that are better at killing vermin, and unless you are living in filth and poverty, they are still completely useless.
>>
>>2315802

And you are probably think dogs are better because of your opinion.

Faggot.

True pets, not work animals, are based on each persons opinion.

Hence this cancer. Just gets tiresome seeing these threads every fucking day multiple times to "b8" and start fighting.
>>
>>2316320
and the endless fucking timesink that is owning a dog is so useful.
>>
>>2316422

Lots of people get something out of it, be it exercise or learning new skills and training.

Not the dog's fault if you are a lazy basement dweller.
>>
>>2316422
omg i can smell your filthy lazy catfag house from where i'm sitting
>>
Fuck cats
>>
>>2316710
You'd like that, wouldn't you? You sick bastard.
>>
File: cat-and-dog-friends-001.jpg (43KB, 702x455px) Image search: [Google]
cat-and-dog-friends-001.jpg
43KB, 702x455px
>>2315742
Depends on breeds. Abyssinians are pretty damn smart, as well as curious and playful. They supposedly make great companions give how they're easily attached.

I dunno about "dumb" cat breeds, but they're probably out there.

This applies to dogs as well. There's a difference between a Border Collie and a Chow Chow.

Pic not really related.
>>
>>2315759
Nope
>>2315774
Nope
>>2315792
Not at all
>>2315820
Wrong. Dogs are getting smarter
>>
File: tumblr_n9a46qC1Fd1rr0bn4o1_500.png (621KB, 500x583px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n9a46qC1Fd1rr0bn4o1_500.png
621KB, 500x583px
New question.
Why breed is dumber: Airedale Terriers or Beagles?
>>
>>2315742
ITT: People fight like cats and dogs about cats and dogs
>>
>>2318779
the thumbnail makes this look like the dog has two heads lol
>>
>>2318779
If you think about it all dogs these days are retarded considering they were inbreed for their oddity. If dogs were smart they would still be wolves. Same goes for cats to be honest
>>
>>2315742
They act smart, the little fuckers are good actors I give them that. But they cannot outsmart a supreme gentleman like me, I see through their lies and their facade.
>>
>>2320461
>Murderous edgelords are the peak of intelligence
>Friendliness and loyalty are obvious signs of mental retardation
>I'm the queen of Agribah
>>
>>2318779
a terrier is always smarter than a hound
>>
>>2315787
If they were smart they wouldn't be that hard to train.

Cats are fun animals
>>
>>2315742
Both cats and dogs have just about the same amount of intelligence, now shut up.
>>
>>2316449
>exercise
Seriously? It takes the ultimatum of "get off your ass twice a day or this cute animal dies" just to get your lazy ass off the couch? Most people just buy a pair of runners instead of living, breathing motivation.

>learning new skills
Wait, so first you're arguing that cats are useless and their owners are stupid, then you're saying dog owners literally get taught basic skills by a fucking dog? What could a dog possibly teach you that you didn't already learn in elementary school, or from your parents?

>training
And now you admit that you're also getting trained by your dog. This is sounding more and more pathetic.

I think that's the difference between dog and cat owners - Cat owners have a good head on their shoulders and are in control of their lives. They get a cat to have a neat little animal living alongside them in their house. They don't need the cat, and for the most part - the cat doesn't need them. Like two friends or roommates.

Dog owners NEED a dog to keep them sane. Without a dog, they feel lonely, useless, lazy, and would basically just wallow in their own filth until they died in it, unless they had a living thing to take care of, literally forcing them to get their shit together or else watch a cute animal suffer.
>>
>>2315749
>>2315756
Neither are particularly intelligent.

>hurr muh carnivores so smrt MEAT GIVES YOU BRAINS

No, not really and I'm rather tired of this myth. Most obligate carnivores are retarded by mammal standards and they have about as much brain capacity, if not less than, the creatures they're trying to chase down. Intelligence results from ENERGY SURPLUS which can be from meat but can just as well be from fruit. The smartest animals tend to be scavengering omnivores because having diet adaptability means you can generate energy surplus from all number of different foodstuffs.

>>2320800
>Cat owners (...) are in control of their lives

Hahaha, oh wow he's serious!

>like two roommates

Always so quick the catfag is to resort to anthropomorphism. "It's not a beast that shits in a box and sees me as its surrogate mommy! HONEST! IT'S JUST LIKE DORMING WITH JOHNNY AT COLLEGE!!!! FUCKING BIGOT!!!
>>
Cats are disgusting, I hate them.
>>
>>2315742
They mistake curiosity for intelligence.
>>
>>2315756
This.

>>2315774
Stupid cat owner.

>>2316710
This.
>>
>>2318779
Fuck you mate.
>>
>>2315742
We had five cats when I was a kid. Two of them seemed quite intelligent (for a cat), the others really didn't. One for instance seemed to understand hand gestures IE: I point at something and he looks at it. That one also was good at opening doors, though he couldn't turn door knobs, though not for a lack of trying. He also, twice, abandoned our home when we moved and somehow made it 12 miles across town to our old house.

The other was similar, he also just seemed to display more self awareness and pride. For instance he would only play with cat toys, or play with the kittens when one of our cats had them, if nobody else was around. As soon as he realized someone was watching he'd immediately do a 180 on his behavior. He also stopped and looked before he crossed the street (yes, we were bad owners and let our cats outside. I would never do that now if i owned one)

I don't know if cats or dogs are smarter but I'd wager that at least certain dog breeds are quite a bit smarter than cats as they've been bred that way, such as Border Collies. Mind you, 99% of people don't bother to teach cats tricks but you absolutely can if you care to.
>>
My cat drank from her bowl by dipping her paws in and then lick them
I don't know if she's either lazy or clever
>>
>>2321165
Stupid is the best answer.
>>
>>2321178
She sometimes picks up food with her claws
I reckon she should get some sort of merit for that
>>
>>2321182
>muh speeshul kitty can feed itself
>Yay kitty
>eats another spoonful of paste
>>
>>2321207
You sound upset
>>
>>2321212
You obviously cannot distinguish between sarcasm and anger.
I blame the toxoplasmosis.
>>
>>2321212
why do dumb catfags always assume a person is mad or upset went they don't gush all over their stupid stinky animals?
>>
>>2321217
Because they are like their shit pet.
>>
I never come to /an/

Does this thread happen a lot? Because you are the fucking worst, taking the cat person/dog person to autism power level bullshit is one of the most pathetic things I've seen today
>>
File: 1485660465574.jpg (120KB, 1517x803px) Image search: [Google]
1485660465574.jpg
120KB, 1517x803px
>>2321229
Lighten up faggot
>>
>>2321229
Nah. Not really anon
>>
"Odd that our measures of animal intelligence are often tests of what humans do best rather than of what they do best."- Neil deGrasse Tyson

It's a false equalivance to measure cat intelligence to human intelligence. Cats have survived for thousands of years. They are doing something right. If they were such an unintelligent species they would have died out long ago.

Sure indoor cats may not be very skilled and may seem aloof. But that's probably due to being unstimulated from being kept in one space, unexposed to the outdoors/other animals, lack of exercise, lack of hunting, etc.

Cats need stimulation.
>>
>>2321243
you're trying so hard to sound intelligent, it's cute
>>
File: dogcat.jpg (115KB, 466x258px) Image search: [Google]
dogcat.jpg
115KB, 466x258px
Can't we just love them both?
>>
>>2318762
instead of repeating "wrong" over and over again like an autistic donald trump, enlighten us with your knowledge
>>
File: cat-dog-pictures-7.jpg (44KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
cat-dog-pictures-7.jpg
44KB, 540x405px
>They don't even know what's going on around them most of the time.

Most animals don't know what's going on around them because humans have built this world to suit ourselves, not them. That's not really a fair standard of animal intelligence.

Cats can be seen as intelligent based on the fact that they are very good at taking care of themselves, and while they're happy to let humans look after them, if abandoned they can return to being self-sufficient very quickly. A dog in the same situation will usually die.

Cats certainly take longer to train than dogs but this is more due to them not being as social, so they're not conditioned to follow orders instinctively like dogs are. A dog already wants to obey you, so you just have to teach him to understand you. A cat needs to be convinced you're worth obeying first.

I don't think one species is really smarter than the other, they just have different approaches to life.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.