[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We're all in agreement that dogs should be bought from a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

File: animal-shelter-month.jpg (3MB, 2500x1667px) Image search: [Google]
animal-shelter-month.jpg
3MB, 2500x1667px
We're all in agreement that dogs should be bought from a shelter/rescue not a breeder right?
>>
There's nothing wrong with buying from a reputable breeder either. Just BYBs, puppy stores and mills.

A lot of people are off put by not only the adoption fee of some places but some of the loops they make you jump through too. They don't like being told what they can't and can do but it can be a pain.
>>
>>2313305
without responsible dog breeders we'd only have the bad ones who don't bother to do any health or genetic testing

reputable breeders don't contribute to the shelter overpopulation problem because their dogs don't end up in shelters, or its very rare should i say. bybs and puppy mills are the reason for shelters being full of dogs for adoption.
>>
>>2313305
Yeah, though i prefer to find some kid and his dad giving them away for free in the walmart parking lot

Got my first pup that way and i loved the fuck out of her
>>
>>2313326
So you're saying Craigslist or a classified ad?
>>
>>2313305
No. You have no right to care where I buy my fucking dog. That' SJW tier shit.
>>
>>2313330
Sure, long as theyre willing to meet you in public with the dog present
>>
>>2313331

>You have no right to care

So you want to regulate peoples' thoughts?
>>
I want a specific dog bred for a specific purpose and my chances of finding that dog in a shelter/rescue are nil.

I'm going to a breeder.
>>
>>2313355
See, that's cool, but the vast majority of people just want a pet and breeds are mere aesthetic in that case.
>>
>>2313305
Nothing wrong with buying from a breeder. My dogs have alway been used, not just kept as pets.
>>
I live in a rural place, the shelter is full of pitbulls and chihuahuas and breed-specific rescues are pricey and usually a hundred miles away. I got my last two dogs (a mcnab and a border collie mix) from newspaper ads. Good, healthy dogs.
>>
>>2313305
All the dogs in my shelter are staffys, little terrier mutts and kelpies. I hate staffies with a passion, I don't want a small dog and they wont adopt kelpies out to anyone who lives in the suburbs. Plus they amount of paperwork is more effort than it's worth.
>>
I wanted a specific dog type for our dogs so we went to breeders.

I now want a rabbiting dog and the majority of dogs in shelters in NZ are bull greyhound mixes which is what I want.

I will be just as selective as if I was choosing a breeder as I will be selecting this dog from the pound or shelter.

I will not be using this dog to virtue signal or to live vicariously through it as a victim and calling it a "rescue dog" as if it is morally superior to a purposely bred dog.
>>
>>2313467
>I will not be using this dog to virtue signal or to live vicariously through it as a victim and calling it a "rescue dog" as if it is morally superior to a purposely bred dog.

this sums up the people who are adamant about "rescue only" to such a fucking T.
>>
It depend of what kind of dog you want.
Adopt a big dog in a shelter, espicially if it's an adult dog = Roulette
>>
Nothing wrong with buying a dog from a legitimate reputable breeder
Buying a dog from a shitty craigslist backyard breeder is the problem.
>>
>>2313655
What makes a breeder "legitimate" and "reputable"?
>>
It depends on the personality of the owner and the purpose for wanting a dog.

If you want a working animal then get a pup from a reputable breeder.

If you want a pet then consider a rescue dog first but don't rule out reputable breeders.

Both avenues have their pitfalls and risks. Again it all depends on what you're looking for in the animal and how far you're committed to go for your dog.
>>
I have the same question as op but with cats.
I can't see any logical reason to purchase a cat from a breeder.
Dogs, I understand.

What are your thoughts?
>>
>>2313682
All cats are the same and there's never a shortage of kittens and youngsters in shelters and rescues.
>>
>>2313655
As long as brown people are allowed to live there will always be back yard breeders and dog thefts.
>>
>>2313709
>/pol/
>>
>>2313711
No. I'm just speaking for the worlds general population.
>>
>>2313718
>this is what /pol/ actually believes
>>
My preference might be reputable breeders, breed-specific rescues, shelters (preferably from a foster parent), byb. Byb's are a lot of work to find someone who's not an asshole or retarded. I'd rather not do it again. Puppy mills, pet stores, etc never.

>>2313682
I can't see any logical reason to purchase a cat. I just pick them off the street. Animal Services/Humane Society fixes and vaccinates them for free under their TNR campaign. Two cats atm.
>>
You know I'm not even so mad at the BYBs producing dogs, since in the end it's mostly the owners who abandon pets, and usually when the dog is at least a year old. Very rarely is it a case that the breeder can't find homes for puppies and brings it to a shelter (thought it does happen). The issue in the end are people getting pets they don't plan to care for in the long run.

What does trigger me is how much the dogs go for. I've fostered pregnant dogs before. A litter of 13 cost about $200 in the excess food, puppy pads,toys and baby gates. Now that's not $200 a puppy, That cost me about $15 a puppy. I would say you could get away with selling each pup for $30 before you're absolutely jewing people. If you add vaccines you could at most add $45-50 to that. But BYBs tend to sell their dogs for $300-500 and that's a fucking scam really/ At least at a rescue the excess money would go towards the non profit organization, and not lining someone's pockets
>>
File: genetic_abomintation_watermarked.jpg (195KB, 1300x867px) Image search: [Google]
genetic_abomintation_watermarked.jpg
195KB, 1300x867px
>>2313745
>reputable breeders
>responsible breeders
nice meme. breeding = inbreeding, so theres no such thing as a "responsible" breeder.
reputable a breeder may be, but thats like saying a high ranking gang nigger has a reputation for cutting the dicks off his victims and feeding them to them (the dicks to their respective victims)

thus, being a breeder of "repute" does not constitute a high ranking on some measure of moral integrity.

Josef Mengele was a doctor of repute. but even he would have recoiled had he been forced to behold the abysmal spectacle of a pug trying to engage in physical activity of any kind

tl;dr get a mutt from a shelter, everything else is incompatible with being a moral human being
>>
>>2313305
Yes. Even "reputable breeders" contribute to shelter overpopulation by drawing people who would otherwise adopt from shelters away. There are more dogs being born than there are people who need another dog, so it doesn't make sense to make new dogs on purpose.
>>
>>2313323
You say that like we want shelter pups lmao; in an ideal world shelters wouldn't exist and we'd only be able to buy pups from responsible breeders.
>>
>>2313826
That could be true. I haven't dealt with licensed breeders, so I may turn out just as disillusioned as with byb's. But when I want a dog I do have a personality and purpose in mind. I won't accept anything less.

Thinking on it, it does make sense to first visit rescues/shelters from a moral standpoint. After that try out licensed breeders who put in some minimal effort. Note, I'm not about to adopt to 'rescue' a pitbull or chihuahua just bc I want to be 'moral'.
>>
>>2313305
>since there are so many kids without a home on the streets, in foster care or orphanages, we all agree to adopt instead of having our own children, right guys?
>>
>>2314255
You mean adopt from an orphanage or child breeders.
As far as I can tell humans don't give birth to dogs.
>>
>>2314255
Try using this argument on a breeder and they'll start foaming lmao. They preach incessantly about "adopting not shopping uwu" then spend thousands of dollars on IVF treatments and pop out 5 kids. I know that it's very different but it feels a little hypocritical to me, idk.

I love my purebred pup. The two animals that I got from shelters in my youth died too young because the shelters lied to us about their conditions. There are some amazing shelters out there, but there are many that are pure shit. And as >>2313846 said, even shelter staffs don't want shelters to have to exist. In an ideal world, we wouldn't need them.
>>
>>2313663
Tracking lineage to prevent further inbreeding, health testing on the parents and pups, and making sure the dogs are well taken care of
>>
>>2313663
doing health tests on both parents so puppies don't inherent genetic diseases, starting socialization early before puppies even go home, keeping puppies with mom at least 8 weeks, vetting homes and taking dogs back at any time in their life. they generally do some sport or activity like agility, hunting, therapy work, obedience, etc.
>>
>>2314440
Piggybacking on this to add: Most breeders have potential buyers (because you buy from breeders--you don't adopt from them) fill out pretty lengthy questionnaires to help vet and also to learn a lot about the potential homes that their litters are going to. They may ask for your preferences (e.g. Male or female, certain colors) and SHOULD confirm what the dog will be for (working, companion, potential to breed or show) and a contract will be involved. Plenty of breeders don't let anyone pick and choose a pup. The BREEDER determines puppies that would be a good fit for the prospective owners based on their criteria and temperament.
>>
>>2313305
Ever since the chinese came to live here, the shelter has been pretty much empty of dogs. They take them, what they do is their business, and pretty much offer them a new home. Though in my opinion, I think they eat them.
>>
>>2314258
lrn2english faggot
>>
>>2315000
Don't feel too bad, at least you didn't try a car analogy.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.