[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's discuss animal rights, specifically those referring

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: IMAG0905.jpg (979KB, 1840x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0905.jpg
979KB, 1840x3264px
Let's discuss animal rights, specifically those referring to pets and/or stray feral animals.

I find these laws very...weird. For example, in most western countries, I don't think it's legal to kill your dog/cat/bunny and eat it, even though we do that to cows/chickens/pigs, so what;s the difference? Is it an issue with safe food handling and processing...because it's legal to catch and clean your own fish to eat. Is it a moral issue, if so, why?

Is it illegal to kill my pet fish and eat them, or pet bugs? Would anyone even care? If not, then there's no reason the same can't be applied to dogs and cats.

Also curious about laws regarding the capture or destruction of feral animals, especially cats. As outdoor cats have been shown to be invasive and harmful to local fauna.

Do some animals just get special treatment because they're cuter?

And for the record, I have not killed or eaten any of my pets, past or present.
>>
it's not illegal it's just taboo and retarded.
>>
>>2313041
It comes down to feefees. People don't want their mascot animal harmed for the same reason they don't want their sports team to lose. So, since dogs, horses, cats, etc. are the 'most popular team' they get the most 'funds' or in this case protective rights.
>>
>>2313041
>Also curious about laws regarding the capture or destruction of feral animals, especially cats.
killing them as a random civilian will get you charged with animal cruelty unless you have a serious reason to believe that animal poses an immediate threat to you or your property. And no, cats killing birds in your yard doesn't count. cats can't really do anything that would justify use of deadly force against them just for being on your property

trap-kill programs enacted by your city or other local government are different, and they have certain methods of euthanasia that they can legally use because it's what's been deemed humane (basically that even if your city does a trap-kill program with feral cats, you as a civilian can still be charged with cruelty by useing them as target practice)

TNR or trapping and relocation of feral cats, in areas that free-roaming owned cats are legal (most areas) I don't believe there are really any laws prohibiting that, but I could be wrong.

as far as it being ethical or not, you can argue it all you want but it just comes down to people's biases and their cognitive dissonance will likely NEVER let them see how hypocrital all of it is. I mean, take a look at how factory farmed cows/pigs/chickens are treated that majority of people who call themselves "animal lovers" don't give a fuck about, but absolutely lose their god damn mind over dog meat consumption in Korea. Someome can claim dogs and cows are different for all you want, but really the reasons I've seen for this are pretty subjective and not substantiated on anything very concrete. I think we should be kind to all animals, not just the ones we deem "good enough" to be pets. But that's just my opinion as someone who works with animals and doesn't consume them. Most people will go through whatever mental gymnastics nessecary to justify that hipocriosy. gotta learn to accept it because most people feel too uncomfortable to acknowledge it.
>>
>>2313041
>in most western countries, I don't think it's legal to kill your dog/cat/bunny and eat it

Source? I've never heard of such a law.
>>
>>2313174
>cats can't really do anything that would justify use of deadly force against them just for being on your property

Feral cats are the second largest threat to songbirds behind habitat loss. In some areas where their populations are booming they should be considered pests and a cull enacted.

>certain methods of euthanasia that they can legally use because it's what's been deemed humane

this is also kinda ehhhh because I did my Msc working with fish and had to kill a ton. Ethical euthanasia consisted of whacking them over the head really hard to sever the brain stem from the spinal chord...so I don't see why that couldn't be applied to cats. I would be against other methods though lke antifreeze poisoning.
>>
>>2313178

i think it falls under animal cruelty laws but probably depends
>>
>>2313178
he's retarded

especially for the bunny part because I guarantee you nobody gives a flying fuck about domestic rabbits in any western country you go to and many will happily butcher them for you.

in america, six states prohibit dog/cat butchering but nothing else. this means 44 states do not. in canada, you can sell and serve either. in europe, it's taboo like every other western country but not banned in most cases save for Germany. the poles have had issues with people rendering dog fat into lard.

and if you retards think you can let your cats roam about on other people's property without repercussions it's 'cause youre all city folk with firearms discharge ordinances hovering over your heads.

NOBODY gives a fuck about domestics and people who say they do are lying fucks anthropomorphizing hard with no logic and pure emotion behind their words.
>>
>>2313187
>they should be considered pests and a cull enacted
I was talking about the actual law, not what "should" be

but for discussion purposes, culling them off is too edge-lord to ever expect to happen (look at what happened when they tried doing it in NY), and difficult to regulate due to the fact that govt mandated cullings don't really happen to domesticated animals, and there would be too many potential legal issues with the risk of killing free roaming owned cats. Enacting some sort of culling ordinance without addressing the issue of owned cats roaming free would create more problems than it would solve

In an ideal scenario, they should be treated the same as dogs in western society in that them roaming free is considered either abdonment or letting them run at large which means they're legally considered stray and/or that the owner can be cited for that. along with any other actions to push owners towards fixing their cats and microchipping them. then TNR as many feral adults as possible and adopt out the ones young enough to be socialized properly.

>this is also kinda ehhhh because I did my Msc working with fish and had to kill a ton
I was talking about the law regarding cats, the acceptable methods of euthanasia are different depending on the species. I think comparing fish to cats is a bit of a false equivalency, but I don't know enough about cat vs fish brains and their differing cognitive ability to really say much else about this
>>
>>2313207

So basically OP made up some imaginary laws and then asked why they exist? Quality thread here.
>>
>>2313212
i can hunt domestic bunnies in my state without even paying for a tag. That's how wrong he is.
>>
>>2313174
I acknowledge it and don't give a fuck.
If I saw my neighbor hatefully drowning cats and I wouldn't care.
Just don't touch my property and we're good.
>>
>>2313251
so you're an edgelord? Good for you dude, but people like you aren't the majorly of the population, and therefore not what this thread is about

go post gore threads on /b/ or something
>>
It's actually funny you bring this up OP. My county has ACOs and the community fighting for animal legislation currently. They want to be able to have a place to bring stray and feral cats, because currently if someone hasn't a problem with feral cats, they are told to fuck themselves basically. With this legislation, catfags will now actually be responsible for their pets and have to keep them off other people's property and keep them Utd on shots, and ACO will actually have to respond to feline related calls and bring stray and feral cats somewhere.

The big argument against it is that people can't afford vaccines and being fined for their pets vaccine will result in many people abandoning their animal. However, not only do we have free vaccine clinics but we have free vaccine clinics on wheels that actually goes out to communities to vaccinate pets. So it is no longer about money, but ignorance or laziness. The other hot button topic is people being forced to keep cats indoors, but this is also refuted by the fact that cats can go outside, there just need to be precautions to make sure they don't leave the property like supervision. And of worse comes to worse, keeping a cat indoors only is not a problem of time or money but one of, again, laziness and ignorance.

Since OPs thread sucks let's talk about this instead.
>>
>>2313286
Sounds fine to me and I like cats. You wouldn't be allowed to let your dog roam around, maul and kill shit so why not cats? Aside from maybe chickens depending where you live, no other pets are 'allowed' to roam, cats should be no exception. At worse a rooster is loud but in my experience no one cares about roaming chickens, and rather encourage it because they eat bugs.

Having to vaccinate them? Oh no, keeping your animal healthy and preventing it from contracting and spreading diseases - some fatal - how terrible. Every outdoor cat owner I've met has been the same. They don't clean up after it since it just shots and pisses in someone's yard, complain about dead animals it leaves around, complain when it's hanging out somewhere else that feeds it since half the time they don't, complain that other wild animals are eating the cats food when they do put it out, and "we dont spay/neuter" because "how can I take his manhood away" and with females they complain how their cat is such a slut and had 'yet another litter'. When they disappear for long? "Oh he'll probably come back'.
Let them be forced to be responsible.
>>
>>2313286
Can you describe where you live, and why there is so much action being taken towards stray and feral cats please?
>>
>>2313277
>getting triggered over hypothetical situations
Time to go outside, anon.
>>
>>2313187
You do that with rabbits that you catch in traps. They die instantly, even though they flail sometimes.
>>
>>2313214

Ummm, I don't think thats legal in Canada or my county at least...

I agree with what you're think, and think it should be legal here, I just don't think it is, and it's retarded.

(I live in Ontario).

Also, I think there's different laws for city vs county
>>
>>2313286

This addresses another problem: people who can't afford pets, own pets.

I've heard the outdoors argument too for cats. If it IS the case that not letting cats outside is cruel, then they shouldn't be domesticated.

I let my cat outside to eat grass but only for a few minutes, and I keep an eye on him. But godamn I get so many stray cats wandering through my yard, I want to get a box trap, bring them to the local shelter and tell them to euthanize the cat.
>>
>>2313312
I live in upstate NY. This action is happening because some places here are so overrun with cats that it causes a public health hazard, but no one can do anything about it. However, it's also a concern because in this area animal welfare has been seeing a large rise in concern, and people are becoming outraged that sick and injured cats are not protected like dogs are. If a cat gets wounded by a car, for example, you better man up and smash it's head in yourself because no one else will come to help it. Animal control does not come for any cat call unless there is a fear of rabies.

So in a nutshell there's a cat problem and the public is outraged that they can't do anything about it. It's not a ton of action; all it is is that animal control will now have to actually respond to calls concerning cats. And all but one animal control officer in the area are all for it
>>
>>2313582

There was a news story on the radio where some local county had a stray cat population that was double the size of the local human population and no one knew what to do.

When they brought up the ideal of a cull the head of the save-the-cats-bleeding-heart foundation just said it wouldn't work. For these crazy cat ladies adoption is the only solution, even though there isn't enough people wanting to adopt.

My friend who just went on a trip to thailand is adopting some dog from an animal rescue place over there and is already asking for people to take him in because she doesn't think she'll be able to take care of it.
>>
>>2313595
The difference with this set up is that ACO is bringing the cats to a place where they may go up for adoption or they may be put down. The public can go assume they are being taken care of. But that was actually why ACO stopped responding to calls on cats, because people began foaming at the mouth over the idea of cats dying. ACO used to respond to cat calls once upon a time here. I'm sure cat euthanasia will fucking skyrocket if this legislation is changed (currently feral cats are considered 'free roaming animals', so shelters can, and do, refuse them). But the problem isn't going to fix itself.

>>2313578
They don't even need to keep their cat inside. They just need to supervise it when it's outside at least. Or keep it utd on vaccines and pick the cat up when it gets caught.
>>
>>2313320
read again. I'm saying that the topics of this thread really aren't relevant to you because your mental state isn't that of most average individuals who these laws apply to and are put in place by

I think it's you who needs to go outside
>>
>>2314358
>I'm not triggered, I just wrote a paragraph to prove it!
>t.Triggered
>>
>>2313041
Rabbit meat is actually pretty tasty.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.