[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking at getting a cat, a bit of info about why it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: 1469299225042.jpg (91KB, 535x508px) Image search: [Google]
1469299225042.jpg
91KB, 535x508px
I'm looking at getting a cat, a bit of info about why it's such a conundrum for me:
Single guy with an apartment (no roommates), and when I go to work, I am gone for 3-4 days at a time. Then I am back for a week, and go back and repeat the process. Would that time alone be too much on the cat? I just want to make sure I'm not neglecting it by leaving it alone, and if so, I will just give up the idea altogether, since I cannot change my work schedule.

I went and saw the cat at the shelter today, and he was probably the nicest cat I've ever seen. Super affectionate, and wasn't shy at all around strangers. He's allegedly 9 months old. Thanks in advance for your advice!
>>
no, they eat and drink and shit too much to leave alone for 4 days
>>
3 days is okay i'd say, 4 might be pushing it.

Then again, they would probably much prefer that situation to living in a small metal cage at the shelter.
>>
Unless you are able to ensure someone goes in on the days you aren't home to feed the cat, change it's water, make sure the litter box is clean, and to play with the cat for a while: no.

Sorry dude, it would be unfair on the cat. What is it that takes you away for 3-4 days at a time?
>>
File: sad kitter.png (154KB, 274x242px) Image search: [Google]
sad kitter.png
154KB, 274x242px
>>2312594
they let me hold the cat and meet him for a bit, and as I put him back in the cage and shut the gate to it, he reached his paw out at me desperately
>mfw
>>
>>2312583
Eh, I think with extra water and food dishes and an extra litterbox with deep litter in both, it might be okay. I've left my cat alone lots of times for 3-4 day weekends this way.
I'd just make sure the cat gets lots of attention while you're there to make up for it.
>>
>>2312597
>what is free feeding
>what is a water fountain
>what is having 2-3 litter boxes

all of these issues are solvable except the human interaction
>>
>>2312601
>>2312597
Well I do have a friend who agreed to check on it in that time. It's for work.
>>
>>2312608
Yeah, I think if said friend is good coming over to check on everything, refill food and water, clean litterbox, and play with cat once each time you're gone, it'd be fine.
After all, if you get shelter cat, he's still young enough to adapt to the schedule of things easily.
>>
>>2312608
Then go for it. If you do >>2312601 then all your friend has to do is play with him and pet him a bit.
>>
>>2312601
>what is a water fountain
a spill away from a very unhappy cat
>what is having 2-3 litter boxes
extremely unpleasant to come home to after 3 days of work
>>
>>2312601
Ok lol... If you think it's okay to leave wet food out for 4 days so it can get mouldy lmao then I feel sorry for your cat.

On the other points though I actually agree, but still I just don't think it's fair on the cat to be left alone for so long

>>2312608
I think that if you feel you can provide a good life for it then you should go for it. But my two largest concerns are that the cat may likely get bored in that time and food going off. But if you have a friend who can go in ever day or every second day you should be chill. Good luck my dude. (Honestly, sorry for my pessimism before, I hope you get your cat, he sounds sweet)
>>
>>2312601
>>what is free feeding
what is free feeding a cat that is bored and alone in an apartment? a recipe for obseity
>>
>>2312620
I free feed dry food, I've had cats for 20 years, never had an issue.

Do you think its fair for the cat to be in a small cage at the shelter?
>>
>>2312621
not if you start them off with it since they are kittens
>>
>>2312621
You wouldn't leave more than 3-4 days worth of food, though anon. It's the same intake whether the cat gorges on day one or rations it out.
>>
>>2312634
No, I do not think it is okay for cats to be stuck in tiny cages in shelters - what part of my post implied that?

I do however think that if a cat waits an extra week it could possibly find someone better suited to be it's owner; I think that shelters are horrible and shouldn't have to exist but they do and are vital, they are best suited to temporarily care for an animal whilst it waits for the right home.

The crucial part being the right home, there's no point in OP getting a cat because he can provide the cat a bigger place to live but not enough of other things (which I'm sure he can) - why act like anywhere in the world is better than a shelter, most animals in shelters have come from homes that don't want them or the streets so I would say, yeah, a shelter is better and I would rather the animal be in a shelter in that case.

Stop assuming.
>>
>>2312640
>same intake
Yeah except if the animal gorges it then is bloated for a day or two, possibly could vomit or have diarrhoea and then the next 3 days it's hungry and doesn't get proper nutrition.
>>
>>2312648
Or it could possibly be put down because no one wanted it.
And that next family might adopt another cat, and there you go, 2 cats saved in this scenario.
Unless it's an abusive or neglectful home, it is the right home.
>>
>>2312648
>cat waits an extra week

what fantasy world do you live in where there aren't thousands of cats and dogs put down every day because shelters are overcrowded and there aren't enough adopters?
>>
>>2312657
A neglectful home? Like a borderline vacant one?
>>
>>2312673
>borderline vacant
Gone for 3-4 days, then there for a week is hardly vacant. This is really no different from a long weekend every weekend.
>>
Don't get an affectionate cat u greedy fuck!
get a hikki grumpy cat who is fine alone.
>>
>>2312688
Assuming OP actually stays at home the majority of the time during the week he's home, it comes out really roughly like this:
3 days away, 7 days there or 30% away, 70% there

And the average person works 8 hours a day most days, once again really rough:
8 hours away, 16 hours there or 33.33% away, 66.66% there

So it's really not much different from the regular schedule overall.
>>
>>2312682
maybe if people just didn't go home every weekend like your whore mom.
>>
>>2312695
>3-4 days at a time.
>it comes out really roughly like this:
3 days away, 7 days there or 30% away, 70% there
nooooooope
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.