/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>live in Georgia (the state) >search in rain >search

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 8

>live in Georgia (the state)
>search in rain
>search all times of day during rain and no rain
>search around bodies of water
>search in forests
>search under logs
>search under rocks
>search under deciduous leaf litter
>never seen a single wild salamander in my life

what am I doing wrong?
>>
living in Atlanta probably.
>>
>>2312528
no I live on the outskirts of macon
>>
What season are you looking?
Hailing from Oregon, somewhat of a salamander and newt haven. We even have the deadliest newt species, Taricha granulosa.
I like to raise salamanders from larvae, so I may have input for you.
>>
File: Salamandersmile.jpg (52KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Salamandersmile.jpg
52KB, 720x960px
>>2312566
Pic related. My Ambystoma gracile that I raised from a larvae. He is trained to only eat while I am holding him. Super cute.
>>
File: chorus2.jpg (64KB, 536x953px) Image search: [Google]
chorus2.jpg
64KB, 536x953px
>>2312569
I was looking in the fall and winter rains because that's when I read and was told by herpers that salamanders in my area come out. I've looked in the other seasons too, but not specifically for salamanders at those times because we were in a drought and I didn't get rain. I'm waiting for spring break now to go home (right now I'm in athens) and hopefully it won't be dry. I find tiny little chorus frogs all the time though. pic related is one.
>>
>>2312579
In Oregon the easiest time to find newts/salamanders is to wait until rains during summer, around bodies of water. This is the season they all congregate for breeding.

The seasons I see them most are during spring rains, early summer rains, and most of fall even without rain.
Where are you trying to find them? It is only in the breeding season here that you see them out and about. Otherwise you have to lift logs and rocks. Looking in woodpiles is a great way to find them. There are specific species that only live in leaflitter too, so check piles of leaves.
>>
File: pregillahu053.jpg (141KB, 800x618px) Image search: [Google]
pregillahu053.jpg
141KB, 800x618px
>>2312579
Also, wow the chorus frogs here are way prettier.
>>
>>2312581
I have a deciduous forest in my backyard with a creek. I look around the creekbed, and then go through the woods lifting any logs I find. we're out of the drought now so hopefully this spring and summer I'll find some good stuff. I think the problem might be that most of the salamanders where I live are mole salamanders and stay underground most of the time.
>>
>>2312582
aww. oh well, we get some nice green treefrogs, bullfrogs, leopard frogs, etc. Hopefully I can find some of those later too.
>>
>>2312584
Well, if there is one thing you know, it is that at some point all salamanders and newts must visit water to reproduce. Along with this, you know that any bodies of water that are in salamander/newt range will have larvae in them granted the conditions are right.
Research breeding times for an species you think are local.

I would try looking near permanent ponds, and annual temporary ponds. Rivers and creeks, moving water, only host a few specialized species. Temporary ponds are often fishless. Great spots because any body of water with fish in it has a way lower survival rate.
>>
I'm from louisiana and have only seen wild salamanders like 3 times my entire life
seen plenty of anoles snakes skinks geckos alligators frogs and toads but salamanders tend to elude me
>>
I saw one once OP, haha you suck nerd
>>
>>2312591
dang I figured it might be a moving water thing. I don't know of any ponds around, but I do look out for temporary pools created by the rain

>>2312596
yeah this, but without the geckos. reptiles are my favorite, but it would be cool to find some salamanders
>>
>>2312591
>if there is one thing you know, it is that at some point all salamanders and newts must visit water to reproduce.
that's not true of the most abundant salamander in the united states (redbacks) or any of it's many close relatives.
>>
>>2312613
Well, that is just one group out of many. Most have to visit water.
>>
>>2312523
If after all that you've never even seen a Redback you are probably either blind or live in a salamanderless hellhole
>>
>>2312623
it's the easiest to find and therefore the most relevant to OP. you don't know shit about salamanders and should shut the fuck up
>>
>>2312636
I have never seen a redback in Oregon, and if OP hasn't found any yet with the way he is looking, they probably aren't extremely prevalent in his area. I am telling him to bet on finding salamanders or newts where he can guarantee their presence at some point.
Lay off the milk and steak, your testosterone is a little overboard bub. Chill the fuck out.
>>
File: redbackrangemap.gif (31KB, 749x769px) Image search: [Google]
redbackrangemap.gif
31KB, 749x769px
>>2312629
redback salamander isn't in georgia, friendo. and the southern redback range ends right around where I live, so I'm not sure if I should be finding those
>>
>>2312523
>>2312569
guys

did you just say larvae?
that could explain what the thing was when i was a kid
i had this transparent little 7mm see-through salamander looking creature on my fingers after digging around and he opened his mouth wide in agony and i chucked that shit
since forever i been trying to figure out what kind of creature that was
>>
>>2312656
>I have never seen a redback in Oregon
you don't know shit about salamanders and should shut the fuck up
>they probably aren't extremely prevalent in his area
well that's just wrong. I've only been to central georgia once and I found a couple muds in a hillside seep, didn't see any other salamanders that day. I'd bet slimy's would be the easiest to find quickly (by brute force flipping things)
>>
File: agracilelarva718052.jpg (91KB, 800x474px) Image search: [Google]
agracilelarva718052.jpg
91KB, 800x474px
>>2313197
Did it look like this? This is a northwestern newt (Ambystoma gracile) larvae. The main feature is that they look like adults, but with gill tufts. They are all similar in morphology, but vary a lot in color and habitat.
>>2313219
Did some research, I have actually found redbacks in Oregon. They are called western redbacks here, and they have a yellow stripe, which is why I didn't recognize the species. Gosh dude, why so aggro? I know you hold yourself to autistic standards, biased to the point you assume you are right over everything, but in real life people are wrong sometimes. Either way, if OP hasn't found any salamanders with the way he is looking, he should probably try a different strategy. Basic motherfucking logic bro, beyond just wanting to be right about everything. >inb4 shut the fuck up
>>
File: 2647011640_9514a0183c.jpg (124KB, 500x262px) Image search: [Google]
2647011640_9514a0183c.jpg
124KB, 500x262px
>>2313265
Pic related.
>>
File: firstsalamander.jpg (448KB, 1694x953px) Image search: [Google]
firstsalamander.jpg
448KB, 1694x953px
OP here, I found this guy today on a random sidewalk of all places. Not even next to any water, leaves, trees, mud, etc. Funny how things turn out. I think its a slimy salamander
>>
>>2313644
I would agree! What luck
>>
>>2313644
What are your plans for him? Did you just want to see one IRL?
>>
>>2313939
Just finding them. Even if I wanted to keep them, I'm still up at college right now and only cats/dogs allowed in the apartments. Taking them out of the wild doesn't feel right to me. Or legal. I know taking native reptiles from the wild is illegal in my state
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.