[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

About to get my first doggy but I have some questions: >what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: s-l225.jpg (17KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
s-l225.jpg
17KB, 225x225px
About to get my first doggy but I have some questions:

>what is the purpose of the Doggy Crate? Do I really need to buy one

>should i get bones to chew on?

>should i get used to wiping his / her ass after he goes #2?
>>
>>2312420
>should i get used to wiping his / her ass after he goes #2?
if it's your fetish.. whatever floats your boat.
but keep in mind it's exploitation to use your pet for sexual pleasure

>what is the purpose of the Doggy Crate? Do I really need to buy one
people are very divided on crate training.
I'd say, outside of the scenario of house-breaking a very young puppy, crate training is terrible. dont do it

>should i get bones to chew on?
bones are great, but make sure they are uncooked (otherwise they'll splinter) and the right size for your dog.

I'll also leave this youtube channel for some dog-training advice
https://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup

have fun with your new dog and make sure he/she has fun as well.
>>
File: 7812337-tyN3W276.jpg (237KB, 617x459px) Image search: [Google]
7812337-tyN3W276.jpg
237KB, 617x459px
Crate training is for when you want living furniture, not a pet.

Get a Kong.

Yes. With your tongue.
>>
>>2312420
>crates
Do your research. They can be a useful tool to help housebreaking, they can be used to keep your puppy safe for when you have to be away, and they make excellent places for the dog to escape to when they are older and need a break from you.
>bones
Ask your vet, they will make a recommendation for your puppy, there is a ton of different kinds available.
>wiping its little doggy ass
Dogs have been blessed with a self cleaning asshole. Generally you don't have to do anything other than make sure you've disposed of the ka-ka properly.
Good luck.
>>
>>2312436
>Dogs have been blessed with a self cleaning asshole
Is that all animals without hands or something? Are we the only animals without self-cleaning assholes?
>>
>>2312433
Are those dog plugs?
>>
>>2312456
Lol, I don't know, I was just trying to be funny.
Never put much thought in to it.
>>
>>2312457
Are you serious or.
>>
>>2312457
Kong toys.
Indestructible chew toys. Shaped that way so they bounce funny, and hollow so you can fill it with peanut butter or whatever your dog enjoys.
>>
>>2312456
>self cleaning asshole
are you shitting me?
>>
Crate training is a good idea if you have a destructive puppy because left alone they could get into things or eat things that are potentially toxic to them - but overall it's better to train dogs to be calm when you are not at home.

Some tips are to not give the dog any attention in the 2-3 minutes before you leave because it excites them and gets their energy up high and when you leave they are full of energy and have no way to express it properly - similarly wait a minute when you get home until the dog calms down when you get home because it teaches them that in order to get your attention they need to be calm.

Also if you do decide to crate train make sure you leave toys in their crate so they do not get bored whilst you are away and only get a puppy if you can be at home for most of the day for the first 6-8 months.
>>
>>2312498
>>2312456
When they poop their buttholes naturally prolapse thus leaving the entrance clean.

Then, if they're not obese, they clean their buttholes with their tongues
>>
My advice: Don't go to /an/ for advice

Getting a dog is a serious commitment and should be seriously researched outside of a subpar 4chan board. I recommend doing some book reading.
>>
>>2312420
>>what is the purpose of the Doggy Crate? Do I really need to buy one

Give the dog a little doghouse to sleep in . Some people lock the dogs inside. I don't.

>>should i get bones to chew on?

Yeah, if it's a 30+ pound dog. Bones are much more robust choice versus plushie toys. My vet is against bones like antlers... she says they can chip the dog teeth. I use "benebones".

>>should i get used to wiping his / her ass after he goes #2?

Uhhh... I guess if the ass is messy? Haven't ever had to do that.
>>
>>2312570
>Give the dog a little doghouse to sleep in
You dont sleep with your pup?
>>
>>2312577
Not him but my pupper is too big for me and her to fit comfortably.
>>
My dogs are crate trained. They like it in there just fine, and they'll generally get into stuff or (in the case of the standard poodle) she'll work herself into a tizzy and shit somewhere.

Some nights they sleep in the crates, some nights they sleep with me. I don't have to force them in there or anything; I just open the cabinet with the treats and they run right in.

Or if I'm out I just tell them to kennel and they run right in.

It's their space. When one of them's scared during a thunder storm they'll run and curl up in there.
>>
>>2312765
>and they'll generally get into stuff when I'm gone*
>>
I clean my puppers asshole cuz sometimes wads of shit get stuck to the surrounding fur. Better safe than smeared shit on your dog and house.
>>
Wiping is rarely needed, but a good idea if they have really bad diarrhea.

Unlike people dogs lack buttcheeks and sunken bootyholes that attract dingleberries. Also they lick themselves clean.

You may have to take a paper towel and pull bits out at times, especially long hairs, strings or blades of grass. That is if they eat them.

Your pup will also have anal glands that need to be expressed once in a while, IE squeezed until rancid ass juice squirts out. You can do this, but it will ruin your towel or shirt. Vets and most groomers provide the service.
>>
>>2312765
>and shit somewhere.
How is that acceptable or trained.
>>
>>2312556
Well how do we know not to take your advice then?

Seems we have a paradox.
>>
>>2312905
I dunno why she does it. She doesn't even do a lot, it's always just one single solitary turd in front of the door. Perfectly house trained otherwise. Asks to go out, etc.
>>
>>2312909
>perfectly house trained
>shits inside
Anon, no.
>>
This is a good answer, OP: >>2312436

Crates are great for housebreaking, keeping a puppy out of trouble when it's learning what is/isn't ok to chew when you can't watch them, and letting the dog have a place to go to to chill when they just want to relax and be left alone.

Also, crate training is a good thing because being able to be relaxed while confined is a very good skill for your dog to have--if they ever have to be boarded at the vet, if they ever need to travel, etc. etc. It's just very helpful for the dog to not freak out if you ever need to confine them for their safety.
>>
>>2312457
Holy fucking shit dude.
>>
>>2312420
OP don't listen to this guy:
>>2312765

Crate training doesn't mean getting your dog used to the idea of a dog storage compartment.

This guy is right:
>>2312912

Crate training is a way to maximize opportunities for positive reinforcement when housebreaking and training a young puppy. That's it. Once the dog is trained you stop using it.

Eventually the dog will get used to the crate and won't mind being in it, but that does not make the crate a dog storage cubby
>>
>>2312922
>That's it. Once the dog is trained you stop using it.
No. Your dog will continue to use its crate well in to adulthood. It provides a safe place comfortable for them to go to whenever they need it.
I don't think I've actually shut the door to my dogs crate in over 5years, but she still gets in it several times a week.
The post you criticized and said not to listen to pointed this out.
>>
>>2312577

I actually do, but the person who replied the pupster is too big is also right in my situation. It's a little bit of a shoving match to get comfortable and not wake up with aches.

She sleeps in the crate during the day in my office while I work (by her own choice... sometimes she sleeps outside it).
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.