[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can a human doctor double as a veterinarian? I just got my degree.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_20170207_125203.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170207_125203.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
Can a human doctor double as a veterinarian?

I just got my degree. And to celebrate, my dad wants to get me a dog. So I wanted to know, how far can I use my knowledge? I know we're different species and all, but Is there any books I can read to learn up on the doses and other stuff to take care of my dog on my own?

I would love to volunteer in animal shelters, but there are none close by.

Keep in mind, I'll still go to the vet when I have to. I wouldn't compromise it's safety. I just want to make use of my profession to its fullest for its sake.

Thoughtful discussion, please .
>>
>>2312204
pretty sure you should learn how to calculate doses by weight in your 'med school' you're pretending to have graduated from. Not all humans are adults.
>>
>>2312207
There are food items you can give humans but not animals. I assumed the same for drugs and doses. I also wanted to know about vaccination schedules and such. I'm in a remote part of India, so veterinarian are expensive.
>>
In general, the same principles apply to treating animals as they do to treating humans. It's just a bit harder to diagnose problems in animals because they can't talk and explain what's wrong/what hurts.

That said...
>>2312211
You are correct, certain medications can't be given to dogs/cats/etc. And doses for different species are not always the same as the human dose by weight.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure where you could find all that information in one place, but if you search up about a certain medication, you should be able to find out about safe doses for common pets like cats or dogs.

As for vaccination schedules, a simple google search will yield appropriate vaccination schedules for kittens and puppies. Hope this helps!
>>
>>2312204
Maybe. Being a human doctor is, in my opinion, easier than being a veterinarian. In the US, it's actually easier to get into medical school than it is to get into vet school so a lot of vet school rejects end up getting accepted to human med school.
>>
dogs are very different from humans. you could do basic first aid, but that's about it. i'm not sure about prescription law, but i doubt a non-vet can prescribe meds for an animal.
>>
>>2312284
No.. this is India, it won't be an issue.. I can get the meds from the store where they sell farming equipment.
>>
>>2312253
Weird. It's the opposite here. Veterinarian usually work for dairy or farms. Pet clinics are usually found only in posh metropolitan cities.

Students who can't get into medical colleges usually grudgingly go into government veterinarian colleges easily, because the seats are always vacant.
>>
>>2312204
>Can a human doctor double as a veterinarian?
>I just got my degree
lol, nice LARPing. you sound like a poorfag second grader who want to perform major surgery on his labradoodle.

reported.
saged.
raped, doused in gasoline and lit on fire.
>>
>>2312329
And if I were to prove it, friend?
>>
>>2312336
Not sure if you could operate a computer after immolation, but go for it my man.
>>
File: IMG_20170207_215347.png (4MB, 2080x1560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170207_215347.png
4MB, 2080x1560px
Here's some of my certificates. Rest is with the institution.
>>
>>2312339
Just because you're a nobody in society doesn't mean we all are. Work hard, anon.
>>
>>2312253
> In the US, it's actually easier to get into medical school than it is to get into vet school
This is a common misconception.

Firstly, vet school acceptance rates aren't actually worse than med school rates. They both hover around 45% plus or minus 10% depending on the year.
There are also only about 30 vet schools compared to nearly 150 MD ones, but the number of applicants is totally different. This is why the numbers are even similar, otherwise vet school would be way easier.

Pre-vet students are always worse than pre-meds. The GRE is a joke compared to the MCAT.

The only way this is true is if you include DO schools, but I'm not even sure then.
>>
>>2312349
>he says while posting from his designated shitposting street
Take your poo to the loo Rasheet.
>>
>>2312211
Ahh I see so it's not a real degree
>>
>>2312364
I'm repeating what i've been told by the dean of a vet school, who I'm assuming has maybe just a tiny bit of knowledge in this area.
>>
>>2312336
m8, no one outside elementary school would say "human doctor".
precisely what was your doctorate about?

I mean, you'd assume someone who studied at university for so long would have learned by now to go to the library to learn about a specific topic (vet medicine) instead of asking an anonymous Andalusian bird-watching forum for advice
>>
>i recently got my degree
bs, so utter bs. youre obviously 16 or so.

a vet is more likely to double as a human doctor than the other way around. a doctor wouldn't even know the first thing when it comes to dog anatomy and how it differs
>>
>>2312394
An Indian "doctor" can have less schooling than a US Bachelor degree. It's all undergrad stuff, only certain specialties even need postgrad work.

Our friend here has taken the equivalent of the intro bio/chem series at a community college. Plus his school is poorly ranked, and his grades don't even look that stellar.

He's probably still an intern at some back-alley slum clinic.
Or worse, a filthy FMG trying to take spaces from residencies at our real hospitals.
>>
Ask any veterinarian which customers they hate the most and besides people who abuse their animals the #1 answer is human doctors. I've read many an account of doctors killing their pets because they did things like give a certain antibiotic that works fine in humans but is poisons to cats to their cat, or tried to set their dogs broken leg bone despite having no idea which way it even goes. In short, no, all you do is fuck up because a dog is not a cat is not a ferret is not a human.
>>
>>2312422
>m8, no one outside elementary school would say "human doctor"
Or you know, a non-native English speaker on a board about animals who wants to make a distinction that he is a doctor that treats humans, not other animals
>>
>sister's dog gets put on phenobarbital
>sister's father-in-law is really highly respected heart surgeon
>freaks out sister by saying it has to be administered at exactly the same time every day and is very dangerous
>calm sister by saying dogs are different than people, phenobarbital kills humans, grapes kill dogs, just listen to the vet.
>>
>>2312885
Most non English speakers aren't human.
>>
File: 83ibckD.jpg (746KB, 2048x1366px) Image search: [Google]
83ibckD.jpg
746KB, 2048x1366px
Actual vet here.

You are probably going to kill the pet.

Animals drug restrictions and poisoning levels are completely different from humans and a lot more fragile.

Physical examination takes a lot of practice to get it even right, and their normal rates for heart beat, respiration, normal temperature, etc. are completely different and vary not only from animal to animal, but to sizes in the same kind of animal.

Human intramuscular injections are some times done intradermally, by default, in animals.

Animals don't talk, they respond to pain differently and in a very subtle way, until they react violently. Determining the evolution of a treatment is very complicated and requires the vet to fully understand the creature to gather signals of worsening or improvement.

Even cuts and bruises can be fucked up by a doctor who doesn't understand what medications he CAN give to his animal, this is quite common and I've seen many cases like this.

My biggest tip is: look everything up, specially medications that you can use.
>>
File: girls_laughing.jpg (30KB, 398x241px) Image search: [Google]
girls_laughing.jpg
30KB, 398x241px
>>2312951
>Actual vet here.
>>
>>2312951
Thanks. This was the whole point of the thread. I'm satisfied with what I have read.
>>
>>2312942
the only legit thing barbiturates are used for anymore are euthanizing pets.

I expect anyone with a medical degree in anything would know that
>>
Merck vet manual and just reading the documentation for animal medications on their website. There's tons of research you can read online from medical journals. aka RTFM. Like you, OP, I have no education in biology/medicine. I suggest taking them to a professional.
>>
File: phenobarbital.gif (25KB, 550x250px) Image search: [Google]
phenobarbital.gif
25KB, 550x250px
>>2312990
>the only thing this wonderful, extremely versatile class of medicines is useful for is putting down Old Yeller
Just because they're also good for killing your dog and your grampa doesn't make them worthless.

Especially if you're in Pooinloo-land, where they probably don't even have benzos.
>>
>>2313060
>wonderful, extremely versatile class of medicines
name one thing barbies can do that benzos cannot, with the exception of euthanasia (which I already mentioned)
>>
>>2313093
Treating benzo withdrawal.
>>
>>2312317
We can and do that in the US too. Most of them are for farm animals so you really need to have the correct doses when it comes to medicine since you'll kill a dog with a horse size dose.

For your new dog you will definitely want to see a vet about parvo, distemper and rabies vaccinations.
>>
>>2312204
Besides opening up your dog, no reason you can't do a lot of care yourself. I was raised on a farm, we did our own work on pretty much all the animals. We'd call and discuss things with a vet if there was any lack of knowledge in the matter.
>>
>>2313205
Depending on the breed you'll want to tests for other things as well, like reactions to medications etc. Aussies are known for the mdr1? Gene.
>>
>>2312348
>be pajeet
>write 988 word thesis
>receive """""doctorates"""""
Like pottery.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.