[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My doggie is due for his snipping in the next couple months according

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Spay-neuter-381x242.jpg (53KB, 381x242px) Image search: [Google]
Spay-neuter-381x242.jpg
53KB, 381x242px
My doggie is due for his snipping in the next couple months according to my vet- I'm trying to delay it because I had my old female dog spayed too early and she had hormonal/incontinence issues as a direct result of that. Do male dogs differ from females in this respect? Are there any benefits to not altering your dog? Aside from the overpopulation issue (which I acknowledge and understand, but it's not what I'm asking about and don't care to argue over), can anyone share any compelling reason to neuter a dog? I've always had females so I'm just curious.
>>
with males the difference is much more drastic, and not in a good way

they're more difficult to train, more aggressive (towards other dogs and people), will try to escape/wander/run away more, piss on everything, and just generally crazier. which also makes sense considering they're stressed out from thinking about wanting to fuck 24/7 and they're not going to. its not very nice to keep a male unneutered if they're not going to breed since they'll just be anxious about it and lose their fucking mind if they smell a female dog in heat

just wait until your dog is 6 months and it'll be fine, or a year if you have a huge breed
>>
There is also testicular cancer which is even more common in some breeds than others. There are a few other diseases that I can't remember the names of atm but it is generally better to get them snipped
>>
>>2310576
I know that's the same with female dogs. The incidences of issues, including CA, with their uterus is higher if they are left unfixed.

I've had both female and male dogs neutered, and neither had hormonal/incont. issues. They where young when they had the surgery (oldest ~2 yo). Did you say you fixed your dog at an older age? Maybe that has something to do with it...or maybe the vet made an error. I'm not sure how common those symptoms are.

I've had many cats too which have been fixed and they didn't appear to have any issues after the operation.
>>
My dog mellowed out A LOT when I got him neutered. He was around 18 months. I wanted to wait until he was 24 months but he was constantly being attacked by other males so I couldn't put it off any longer.
>>
>>2310556
>>2310576
these are true, but be careful as some breeds also have some negative health issues related to getting neutered.

for example - Shih-tzus are far more likely to end up blind when snipped.
>>
>>2310611
How does that work? I'm not doubting you, I just don't see the connection between eyes and neutering.
>>
>>2310550
DOG BALLS ARE NOT FOR CUTTING!
>>
>>2310611
>Shih-tzus are far more likely to end up blind
[citation needed]
As far as I know all there health issues are because they are inbred as fuck, or were at some point in the breeds history.
>>
>>2310556
Forgot to add that it makes renting a lot more difficult, nearly impossible in some areas if you have a large breed. More and more dog parks are also excluding unfixed males because they're more likely to get into fights

>>2310595
I've had lots of dogs over the years and fostered them too, male and female. In my experience, the unfixed females really weren't THAT bad, the bloody mess and risk of accidental litters is the big reason I got them fixed. The males however really NEEDED to have it done. Much less high strung as well

>>2310611
I would say that eye issues are caused by them being brachycephalic and inbred as fuck, but if you can provide a source then okay
>>
What kind of dog do you have and how old? I'd wait on large/heavy breeds to make sure they got their growing in.
Really not a fan of unneutered dogs. I find them anxious and hard to trust around other dogs since playtime suddenly turns into fuck time with them. They don't seem to care or read other dogs behaviors so humping can easily turn into a fight. I don't let my dogs stick around them for long after they have their meet 'n sniff. Seen an unneutered German Shepherd try to mount a snarling collie mutt. They were playing fine but he eventually got too rambunctious and she was trying to walk away with some growls and lip licking but once he tried to mount her she was all snarls and teeth. She didn't bite but she did a weird tuck and spin so he fell over and his owner came over yelling that she attacked his dog, and then tried to be friendly again talking to her owner about how they'd have pretty puppies. Owner was packing up her dog to leave since his dog was still being a bother and informed him she was spayed and that the both of them should learn some manners.

If I met an unaltered male that was well behaved then it must have been a long haired dog since I don't remember seeing balls. I grew up with non spayed females and did not have issues with aggression but the blood was a pain and one female was always humping the other. My current dogs are spayed and my parents get theirs spayed now too because they learned the lesson of that condition where the uterus gets infected. I just forgot how to spell it.
>>
>>2310550
Well it will lower their lifespan, in some breeds by huge amounts.

So, no, no good reason.
>>
For females, spaying has more health benefits

For males, the health benefits/health risks of neutering is much less of a clear cut "which is better for the dog"

Either way, doing it too early is a big no-no. ESPECIALLY in large breed dogs. But either way, you should ideally wait at least a year.

If you're willing to do a bit of reading, here is a good document going over the health benefits/health risks of both spay and neuter:
http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

I highly recommend reading it to come to the most informed choice about what's best for you/your dog.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.