[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys i need some advice for my cat. (pic related) so here's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: cat.jpg (3MB, 3204x2406px) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
3MB, 3204x2406px
Guys i need some advice for my cat. (pic related)

so here's what's happening. since Sunday i noticed my cat wasn't eating food anymore and only drinking very little bit of water. he also hadn't taken a shit since Saturday.

we took him to a vet to see what's going on and ended up paying $600 to get some test done. they said his kidney and liver looked great for his age (he's 16) and his blood work was also great. they gave him some medicine for nausea and treated him for dehydration also.

Everything seemed cool when we brought him home, he seemed like himself again. he came home went straight to the food bowl ate food and drank water. going into Monday we noticed again he wasn't eating hardly drinking water and still hasn't taken a shit. Tuesday was pretty much the same thing, only going to the bathroom to pee only and still not eating and drinking very little water. only thing he's been snacking on are some cat treats but that's it.

could it just be he's constipated? I don't have money again to spend on all these test they wanna run on him :(

tldr : is my cat dying :(?
>>
just found out my brother took him to the vet again to get an enema, his stomach was a bit hard.

they told him they'd like to do x-ray and other tests again, but he only had enough money for the enema only. the dr told him he was dehydrated again and that the enema only has a 50/50 chance of making him feel better. if it doesn't I'm guessing he's not going to make it?
>>
>>2309385
Not a vet and don't have any experience with this type of thing but i wanted you to know that I'm rooting for your cat to feel better. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable comes by
>>
>>2309724
we don't know what to do anymore, be still isn't eating. isn't taking medicine, i can only think of one other option and i don't even wanna consider it.

but at the same time idk if he's suffering, idk what to do anymore...

if we keep sinking money in I'm gonna be broke.
>>
>>2310907
Your cat is a great old age and you sound like a great owner. I have a twins that are 12 years old and I cant imagine what you're going through.
He's had a great long life and you need to come to terms with that other option.
All the best mate.
>>
>>2310907
Feel sorry for cat, no fever? If no diagnosis comes up vet will bleed you out, i feel like shit saying it but maybe what could be done was done
>>
I've lived with many cats in my years. They tend to behave the same right up until the point they suddenly and profoundly get old. Kidney failure is a common terminus for old cats.

It hurts to say but it sounds like your cat is at the end of its long life. There is not much a vet can do to extend the life of a 16-year-old cat and the quality of life will not be good.

My advice would be hospice care. Make sure he is comfortable and pain-free. If he appears to be suffering then it might be appropriate to have him euthanized.
>>
He could possibly have a GI obstruction, OP. I highly, highly recommend those x-rays!

16 is old but it's not THAT old for a cat (many cats live into their 20s) and based on the blood work they did, he still seems like a healthy cat (not dying of old age.) So I would do whatever it takes to find out what's wrong. Like I said it could just be a GI obstruction, which is something that could happen to a cat of any age.
>>
>>2311115 Pretty much. There is not much you can do for your cat now (unless you're willing to force-feed him or force him to drink water, which could end up worse). Old cats just suddenly get really bad and start fading away, even for the most simple of reasons.
Try to hang around with him, pet him, make him feel loved. He's lived a long and happy life, there's no need to feel sad now. I'm rooting for your kot to get better though
>>
>>2311129
This guy stated it well.

My parent's cat, also 15 years old, is having similar s/s. I would avoid dry food at all cost, and only feed it wet food. Dry food will likely make it more constipated and dehydrate it. I would also try some hairball formula gel just in-case its blocked up from hairballs.

Give him comfort at this time; pet him and give him some love.

Your other option is to take it to the vet for more tests. but I understand that's very expensive. You can look into inexpensive vet care....
>>
Get the x rays, OP. If you have the money.
At least you will feel better knowing you've done everything you can do.
I found a cheap vet, x ray with them was only like fifty bucks.
>>
ty guys so much really.

>>2311166
>>2311121
my sister you him to the vet yesterday... i feel bad, but she also wants to do anything she can to help him also. She ended up getting the x-ray for him, they told her they were looking for cancer or something to go with the pancreas.

the x-ray showed nothing wrong other than him having some gas and stool. But they said if he continues not to eat they're worried about his fat breaking down and and messing up his liver, something i think they called fatty liver?

They have us two medication again. one for pain, which is a tablet and we take half of it and give it to him somehow every 24hrs. the
other is for nausea in syringe form and only to find to him every 8-12hrs if we think he needs it.

the next option would be as they said to keep him in the hospital for more treatment which she said starts at minimum of $1000 to $2,000...

>>2311156
>>2311129
for right now we're switching him over to wet food to see if he'll eat it. i haven't seen him eat that though since he was a kitten. my brother also have him some food through a syringe... he didn't react bad to it though, but it feels wrong idk...

>>2311112
he has no fever. they checked his vitals and blood again and they keep saying everything looks fine. i just don't get why he's not eating. the only thing the dr mentioned was that he seemed to be in discomfort when she touched his stomach, but she wasn't sure if it was cause he didn't like being there or he's in pain.

This is pretty stressful, I've had this car since i was 9(I'm 26 now). i remember i didn't even like cats at the time and neither did my family. my neighbor cats had kittens and i remember she was giving some away and no one wanted to take the black cat cause stupid things about them being bad luck, so she sad she was gonna put him to sleep if no one took him. after i heard that we ended up with a cat that we ended up loving so much.

i know he can't live forever, but this really sucks..

thank you..
>>
>>2311273
It sounds like he could be constipated for some reason. But yeah, he needs to eat.

If he will eat wet food (cats usually love the stuff,) offer that. If he won't eat it on his own, feeding through a syringe is fine. Don't feel bad about doing that. You're just taking care of him.

Feeding cats pills can be rough, but here is a good video on how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnJ_2TV4x7U
>>
can lock and delete this thread...

he passed today. at least we had 16 good years with him..
>>
>>2313183
sorry to hear that, i hope you will find another awesome cat soon .
>>
>>2313183
You were able to spend a wonderful 16 years with him, made him feel loved, and were loved in return. Never forget the happiness he brought you, and live as the person he loved. Take care.
>>
>>2313183
Aw, shit. Looking over this thread I thought he would be fine and was just constipated. I'm sorry, OP. He had a good life and you tried.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.