[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you guys feel about leaving your dog in one of these things?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: kennel2l.png (449KB, 600x447px) Image search: [Google]
kennel2l.png
449KB, 600x447px
How do you guys feel about leaving your dog in one of these things? I'm thinking about adopting an adult dog, but I'm single and I'm away for 9-hour shifts during the week and the occasional night out on the weekend, so I'd probably build one of these in my backyard and leave dog out there when I'm gone. Is this something that is okay or is it frowned upon by experienced dog owners?
>>
>>2309077
Why not just build a dog house and let the dog roam free in the backyard?
>>
How about instead of imprisoning your dog for several hours a day you instead train them to behave properly so you don't have to worry?
>>
>>2309099
Isn't the inside of a house also imprisoning your dog?
>>
Like an opinionated shit who never had a dog, I feel there should be a heat source of some sort.
>>
why would you get a dog to keep it locked up for 9+ hours regularly?

outside?

in a small space?

I feel like the kind of pet you would prefer is actually some type of bird
>>
>>2309106
Ironically, birds need more social time than a dog. They wouldn't be good for keeping locked up 9+ hours either.
>>
>>2309077

There are people who leave their dogs in crates when they go to work. I dont agree with that but kennelling is something I am comfterable with as I exercise my dogs 2+ hours a day with an hours walk and flirtpole sessions.

>>2309099

Training a dog how to behave when OP isnt there. The dog will either sleep or become destructive, period.
>>
>>2309155
>Training a dog how to behave when OP isnt there. The dog will either sleep or become destructive, period.

that's what dog training is, anon
>>
Why not just volunteer at a local shelter to play with the doggos? Why would anyone buy a pet they're barely going to see? Wait until you're married (lol) and have kids old enough to take care of it at least some of the time.
>>
>>2309077
>I'm thinking about adopting an adult dog, but I'm single and I'm away for 9-hour shifts during the week and the occasional night out on the weekend

so don't adopt a dog

problem solved
>>
>>2309292

Positive only aswell right? Im sure it works on your cockerdoodle or whatever the fuck you own.
>>
OP I advise you to do the following:

>hit the gym
> take a shower
>get a clue
And most important of all
>have sex, please

So you're not the kind of faggot who locks a dog up all day while you're at your meaningless job only to come home and make it watch you masturbate
>>
>>2309366
Your personal shortcomings in your ability to train animals are not relevant to the practice in general.
>>
It looks like a lot of NEETs have been posting here today. Most people actually work, and that usually means being away from your pet for 8-10 hours a day. A nice, clean kennel with an insulated shelter seems like a good place for a dog to spend that time.
>>
>>2309094
I would second this but realise that there are some cases where fencing either isn't practical or possible.

Of course, if your concern is the dog digging out and you have a perfectly servicable fence, then you can consider putting down wire mesh dig guards at the edges of the yard.

>>2309077
That's a pretty good outdoor dog home, OP. The whole thing has a roof, and there's an indoor area that should be warm and free from the wind on really cold days.

My only personal issue would be 9 hours is a really long time, and I'm particular about the surfaces my dogs are allowed to toilet on. Wooden floor boars aren't one of them. So maybe you could consider building a raised bed or tray of shallow dirt on the side where the door isn't? Put down some grass seed of the variety that does well in shade and also harsh weather, maybe, or just leave it dirt if you don't mind things getting muddy if it gets wet from blown rain and the dog steps on it and then walks around the rest of the kennel.

>>2309478
NEET, but my first time in the thread. I agree. OP's pic looks like a very decent kennel. My only concern would be inappropriate toileting.
>>
>>2309294
>barely going to see
You realize the average person has a job that takes them away for 8+ hours of the day, right? OP really isn't all that unusual.
>>
>>2309077
New dune movie?

This could be the first time im exited for a remake
>>
>>2309508
How the fuck did i get in this thread
>>
>>2309077
>How do you guys feel about leaving your dog in one of these things?

I think the dog will survive, especially with that shelter area in the pic, and could be a good dog. It will probably sleep for a good portion of its time in the kennel.

Some dogs also do OK in houses alone. Mine is still young and there's a little too much stuff for her to get into here. 9 hours and you'll probably have accidents anyway ftl, though.

My dog is mostly by my side all day long- comes in to work with me. And gets left in my office if we have to separate for whatever reason. I usually would never push that over 4 hours alone. I board her at a trusted place if it's an extended period of time.

So back to the beginning, that seems OK. It'd be nice if the time away was less, but do what you gotta do.
>>
>>2309514
I'm not necessarily against leaving a dog in the house during the day, I just figured that with a kennel it would have shelter but also be able to go outside as it saw fit.
>>
>>2309521

I don't think it's such a bad idea or I would have whined about it. I'd just hope the temperature is good in the shelter portion.
>>
>>2309106
A fish
>>
>>2309298
Seconded. What are you even getting the dog for?
>>
>>2309539
Where are all you NEETs coming from?
>>
File: IMG_8311.jpg (47KB, 669x621px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8311.jpg
47KB, 669x621px
>>2309367
>>
From the recession, I think. Well, that's why I'm a NEET.
I think it's a great idea, OP. Do the walking and play a lot with him.
Think about having two dogs, at least they will not feel that lonely when you are working.
>>
>>2309579
I work but there's always SOMEONE at the house, most he's alone is like 2 hours.
>>
I got my dog when my mother died and I had to work 8-9 hour shifts every day because I was poor.

I started off keeping him on a regular schedule but taking him a nice long walk before leaving and it worked mostly okay but he'd go to the toilet in the house. I used a webcam to record what he was like in the first few weeks and found out that after the first 5 minutes he'd settle down and go to sleep, wake up a few hours later and take a drink before going back to bed. When I came home I'd take him for another walk then take him out every three hours until I slept.

I don't work anymore but have no issues with leaving him alone for 8 hours or so if I have to go to hospital or something. The biggest change was that I'd feed him in the evenings. No more going to the toilet in the house at all.
>>
At least a house is better temperature controlled, better protection against the elements, and is bigger that a walk in closet. Honestly I wouldn't leave any dog outside for prolonged periods in fear of someone stealing, killing, messing with or calling ACO on me. If you have to keep it contained, keep it in a home in a dog proof room or kennel, not outdoors. Keeping a dog outdoors most of the day also puts it at a huge risk of different illnesses.

>>2309605
If kenneling (indoor or outdoor) this is a terribly horrible idea. 9 hours of either being seperated and getting so impatient and high strung that by the time they are let out they can accidentally cause damage to each other or you. Or on the other hand, they are together, they get anxious and there isn't enough room for the two of them to release their energy and there's a fight. Many, many dogs end up being rehomed over the latter.

It's also worth mentioning you need to have a lot of trust in both dogs to leave them alone together for 9 hours.

>>2309104
Keeping a pet is imprisonment.
>>
>>2309077

That looks pretty great. If you wear the dog out before you go to work, it'll be fine. Make sure it doesn't get too hot in there, though.

Give the dog some long-lasting chews and a puzzle feeder instead of a food bowl though, to stsve off boredom and stop it from barking at the neighbors.
>>
>>2309077
Just get a house broken senior dog. All they do is sleep all day so you can keep them in doors.
>>
>>2309367
>So you're not the kind of faggot who locks a dog up all day while you're at your meaningless job only to come home and make it watch you masturbate
yeah, that's what cats are for
>>
>>2309579
I have a wife that works a last time flexible job, often from home. Not everyone is a kissless virgin like you. Enjoy your dog licking your balls after you leave it in a cage all day. My dog is busy living a fulfilled life.
>>
You should not have a dog.
>>
>or is it frowned upon by experienced dog owners?
it's frowned upon by your neighbors who don't want to hear your neglected dog barking 9 hours a day and then all night long.
>>
don't have a dog if you need to do this
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.