[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just got a job at PetSmart doing pet care. I'm aware it'll

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: petsmart.jpg (78KB, 590x313px) Image search: [Google]
petsmart.jpg
78KB, 590x313px
Just got a job at PetSmart doing pet care. I'm aware it'll probably be a struggle and not as fun as it seems, but it's better than what I was doing previously at least. And with better pay.

Any advice? Also PetSmart general/stories thread, I guess. Though I don't know if it'll do any good making me paranoid at this point.
>>
File: hamster.jpg (60KB, 700x538px) Image search: [Google]
hamster.jpg
60KB, 700x538px
>>2305655
I've heard they euthanize hamsters by putting them in a sock and slaming to the wall.
>>
I was a stocker and it was the worst company I've ever worked for. Shitty hours and pay even by retail standards. Though I think that a lot of my problems stemmed from our gm whose mom died three times during the two years I worked there and she eventually got fired for stealing hours.
>>
>>2305767
>>2305773
Well shit.
>>
>>2305767
OK filthy frank
>>
>>2305767
that would certainly get the job done
>>
My ex, sister and cousin have worked for Petsmart and all hated it. They were groomers though.
>>
Worked at PetSmart for 6 months. Its a wreck.
None of the animals are taken care of well. Theyre all sick and unsocialized and the managers dont care. At my store they were overstocked in tiny little boxes in a closet.
I dont have much good to say about them but if you have pets, the 10% discount and first dibs on discounted items, broken cookies, and almost to date food that are marked way down, is nice.
>>
>>2305767
That's the animal shipping place that they get their animals from. Petsmart without a banfield put them in a freezer to die.

I don't work at a PetSmart, but I work closely with a few stores if that makes sense. I work for a shelter that participates in their every day adoption center. Don't be fooled, PetSmart doesn't give a rats ass about helping animals. Maybe some of the workers do (you will quickly find that many of your co-workers will range from crazy animal furry fanatic levels, to mostly kids that don't care at all) but the higher ups are all about the money. They require their adoption centers to get an outrageous amount of adoptions every month or they cut your fundings, and repeated failures mean they can kick you out and replace you with another shelter. Unfortunately for them they aren't going to get a better shelter, but we have to keep bringing our best stock up there in hopes to meet the adoption quota. They don't give a fuck about the dogs and cats, they just want the cred for helping animals and the money from people buying shit for their new pet.
>>
If you don't like taking care of animals (cleaning habitats, cleaning tanks, giving meds) you won't like it.

If you don't like educating people on the proper care of animals that people don't give a fuck about(a goldfish can go in a bowl right?) you won't like it.

Other than that, if you have a good pet care lead, it helps.

We do not throw animals in the freezer to die. We do not put them down by putting them in a sock and slamming them around. Our PetSmart doesn't have a banfield, but we do have a local exotic vet that we DO take sick animals to (hamsters with wet tail, mice with mites, geckos with internal damage).

Don't slack in general husbandry. If you find hamsters with wet tail, ISO them and sanitize the bin. Don't just fucking rinse it out with water.

I just hope you are getting on with a management team who DOES care. Shitty Petsmart's exist and I am really glad I don't work at one.
>>
>>2305909
>>2305977
To touch on this, groomers are always miserable, but rightly so. I would never trade pet care for a grooming position. Ever.
>>
>>2305767
We don't euthanize hamsters, we just let them suffer unail they're dead. On very rare occasions we'll take them to the vet.

I've worked at petsmart for 2 years now, for two different stores. Nothing extremely horrific really happens.
You'll have to deal with animals dying, of course. You'll have to deal with a lot of ignorance (the kind that could kill their pets) from customers.

The thing that bothered me the most when I started was the obscene amount of dead feeder fish every morning. I'm talking at least 100 dead fish.
It's gross.
>>
>>2305983
>at least 100 dead fish

Anytime there is a death rate even close to that high, our management checks the sump and water quality. One time we were having a lot of feeder deaths and it was because the chiller went out. The temp was fluctuating so much that added stress (on top of overcrowding stress) that killed a lot of fish. After getting it fixed, and properly maintaining the sump, I pull maybe 5-10 dead feeders a week.
>>
>>2305977
>>2305978
I agree with this anon. I worked at Petsmart for 3 years and I had an overall good experience, but then again, my management gave a damn. I was a cashier and my manager actually cared less than the petcare manager. They could almost do no wrong as long as they were protecting the animals. We could refuse sales, tell people to leave, etc. The animals were also pretty well taken care of. We used our banfield that had hired an exotics vet every time anything other than a fish or cricket get sick. When the store was closed and we had a little time, the management would have us help socialize any animals that weren't up to their par. It was a nice set up.

The groomers do seem to always be miserable though. I thought it was because they had a lesbian manager that hated gays with a burning passion who was just a cunt in general but they stayed miserable even after she got fired. Things might be better now but it seems to be a trend.

The absolute worst part of the job are the customers but if you have good management that backs you up, even that's not too too bad. I did love some of my repeat customers and sometimes wonder how they are doing
>>
>>2305977
What about PetSmarts that don't have exotic vets for miles and miles? The PetSmarts near me don't have a banfield and the nearest exotic vet is 3 hours away. Local vets only do farm animals or dogs and cats, they won't see small animals, birds or reptiles.
>>
>>2305935
>Petsmart without a banfield put them in a freezer to die.
We don't. We have an agreement with a nearby vet that we take animals to for treatment and euthanization.
>>
>>2305655
Suck up to your pet care manager and get on their good side as best you can. The best way you'll do well by the animals is if the pet catlre manager there gives you leniency to do stuff that corporate doesn't specifically "approve" of, like ordering more supplies than technically needed, signing things off, and live animal inventory adjustments.
>>
>>2305767
THAT'S BRUTAL
>>
File: I'm_surrounded_by_idiots.gif (484KB, 500x242px) Image search: [Google]
I'm_surrounded_by_idiots.gif
484KB, 500x242px
>>2305655
BE PREPAAAAAAAARED!
...for the dumbest fucking questions you thought humanly possible.

I went to Petsmart last week to pick up some zebra Danny-O's, but a family had beaten me to the fish girl on duty. They had a tank in their cart, and bless her heart, the fish grill didn't want to sell them any fish until they had given the tank a chance to cycle. At least three times, she had to explain why they needed to cycle the water, while their shitty kids ran all along the fish wall slapping the tanks and screaming which fish they wanted. The poor dog the guy had on a leash was straining to get away.
After she started in on her explanation for the third damn time, I just had to leave.

I used to think it would be so cool to work in a pet store.
Not anymore.
>>
>>2305767
I apologize I was partly wrong.
It was Sunpet not PetSmart, and they used a plastic bag not a sock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksCTvo5vAZc
>>
File: Drowned.jpg (55KB, 448x336px) Image search: [Google]
Drowned.jpg
55KB, 448x336px
The don't take care of rabbits. They let them abuse each other to the point where they need to be euthanized and then they drown them at the store and take goofy pictures.
>>
I work at Petco and at least in my state (WA) the numerous stores I've worked at take care of the animals well enough. However...

We have vendor issues. Our bearded dragons almost always get a casualty from our particular breeder and I wish we didn't stock them. Iguanas and chameleons tend to have problems too that aren't the cause of their enclosures. Also, we got some hamsters in that had wet tail IN THE DELIVERY BOX they came from, don't know why we didn't send them back but 2/4 of the affected ones died unfortunately.
>>
>>2306059

>bless her heart, the fish grill didn't want to sell them any fish until they had given the tank a chance to cycle

The tank won't cycle if ammonia isn't getting added to it, either by fish, or by rotting food, or by adding ("pure", unscented) ammonia to the water, then monitoring the ammonia, then nitrite, then nitrate.

A lot of Petsmart employees seem to think the tank will cycle if you just leave it there with the filter running and nothing but water in it. Not gonna happen.
>>
>>2306330

That picture is actually of an employee of Petland.

http://www.peta.org/blog/bunnies-drowned-ohio-petland/
>>
>>2306352
That makes all the difference on the world. Thank you, autism. You are truly my greatest ally.
>>
>>2306340

Imagine how much suffering would be averted if the pet industry didn't exist and people found other ways to enjoy their free time.
>>
>>2306356
Pretty sure more people would just take animals from the wild.
>>
Anyone with experience in the doggie daycare area?

I take my dog there on late days and I always wonder if it's a good environment. He seems happy enough when he comes out and he has good comments on the reports.
>>
>>2306413
The women that work there have been playing red rocket with him.
>>
>>2306360
not if animals had the same rights as humans.
if enslaving an animal for your amusement (or killing one to eats its flesh) will get you in prison, I fucking guarantee you that this type of behaviour would stop

but of course there's no money in "animal rights", in fact, there's LOTS of money in keeping the status quo where it's legal to sell animals and systematically enslave them for meat production.
>>
>>2306413
you might as well ask if anyone has experience with babysitters.

clearly you have to decide on an individual basis.
and with doggy daycare, the other dogs that are there will also be relevant
>>
>>2306330
We don't even sell rabbits
>>
>>2306428
>from 0 to kek in three hours or less.
>>
>>2306509

Probably because you drowned them all you monster
>>
>>2306629

That happened at Petland, not Petsmart.
>>
>>2306428
Yeah fuck you

a fucking hamster or bird does not carry the same value as a human and never fucking should.
>>
>>2306807
Yea I dunno about that I've seen alot people who are worth a lot fucking less than a hamster.
And I dont like hamsters.

Theres nothing explicitly special about humans that puts them above anything else and the fact that most people are trash doesnt help
>>
>>2305935
>PetSmart doesn't give a rats ass about helping animals.
>A successful business doesn't care about something that interferes with successfully doing business.

gee wizz liberal
>>
>>2306428
I've thought about this a lot. The best we can do is adopt and spay/neuter. Don't buy from breeders and try to keep the toys/paraphernalia to a minimum. My cat is 100x better in my home than out in the wild (I found here stuck in a tree after some shitskins put her in there). Fresh water, food, warmth, etc. are all better and hardly only for my own amusement. I feel a mutual sense of joy, but again, that could be projecting. Hard to truly say given the communication barrier.

>tfw want to read philosophy about animal rights but there isn't much beyond Singer.
>>
>>2305655
one time I was at petsmart and they left two lizards up for adoption unnamed so I named them reptaur and spoon by writing it on the blank space for their name
>>
She was trying to at least get them to use that quick cycle stuff in a bottle, rather than nothing.

I always just use a little fish food in the empty tank and let it rot and break down for a month before I add any fish.
>>
>>2308317
shit, meant to reply to:
>>2306350

I'm dumb.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.