[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

posted in dog general but didn't get any input my husky/pitbull

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1186.jpg (885KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1186.jpg
885KB, 1080x1920px
posted in dog general but didn't get any input

my husky/pitbull (pic related) has ungodly amounts of energy. I can go on long runs with him and he's still running circles around me when we're done. And of course the extra energy he has makes it harder for him to focus on training and just not being a lil shit in general. So to burn off some of that extra energy I was thinking about getting into amateur agility training. Does anyone have experience with training their dog for this? If so, how did it go? and are the diys for agility equipment online any good or should I invest in the actual equipment I would buy online? I have 6 acres and storage space for stuff so that's not an issue
>>
>>2304054
I dont know anything about agility training but that is a very majestic dog
>>
File: IMG_8251.jpg (155KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8251.jpg
155KB, 640x1136px
>>2304126
Thanks for the compliment and bump anon. He definitely is :)

And he's generally very well trained/behaved, but he doesn't give a single fuck about fetch and some days going on a run with him just isn't feasible so another means of tiring him out would be good. Plus since he's too smart for his own good figured he would enjoy ability.

pic of him as a lil pupper
>>
>>2304054
that's just what happens when you cross a husky with a pitbull. see you when you get mauled next week
>>
>>2304361
>falling for the meme
oh silly anon

and my dog is better behaved than just about any dog we've met while on a walk or run, all the labradors lunging at the end of their leashes or goldenpoodleshits dragging their soccer mom owners down the street. I think I'll take my chances
>>
>>2304370
that's because the labs have shitty owners. the aggressiveness of a pitbull combined with the boundless energy of a husky is destined for disaster no matter the owner. Hell, I'm pretty sure the bible explicitly states "Thou shalt not own Pit Bulls unless thou wisheth relentless fury upon thyself as retribution for thy ignorance of Sabbath Day"
>>
>>2304630
>the aggressiveness of a pitbull
I knew pitbulls are prone to dog aggression when I got him as a puppy so I've worked on that extensively, and as a result he's one of the most friendly dogs at the dog park. And he's great with people too. Calm down a bit dude. I'm managing my dog just fine

I will say that owning a husky is a pain in the ass but he's turned out to be a great dog after putting in some work. I just want advice on a amateur fucking agility training because he and I would both likely enjoy it and it's good alternative exercise. Not a lecture on things I already am aware of
>>
>>2304633
I'm sorry I just wanted to make up a bible quote
>>
>>2304054
huskies were bred to pull sled. so mushing would be a good idea to get into.
also going on "walks" is a complete joke for dogs, especially sled dogs. whats wrong with you
it's interesting sniffing and marking things, but it's useless when you want to properly tire them out

try biking in the interim, and eventually maybe mushing if your dog takes to it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushing
>>
No high energy dog actually needs to let that energy out through physical exercise. Tiring out a regularly fit dog that way is practically impossible.
As long as you go for just regular walks to satisfy their wandering lust you can tire the dog out to the point of going straight to sleep as soon as he gets home, by doing very simple mental exercises. 20 minutes of focused sniffer training while in the park will do the trick for almost any dog.
>>
>>2304643
We've all been there mate
>>
File: lazytown.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
lazytown.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>2305408
>No high energy dog actually needs to let that energy out through physical exercise
confirmed never having owned a husky

they were bred for high intensity endurance cardio activity.
sled pulling is like running an uphill marathon with a full backpack.

a sedate husky will not be a happy husky
>>
>>2305433
For the vast majority of husky owners there is no practical way to actually drain the dog physically, and its also not necessary.
A dog that can drain its energy through exercise is happy about that regardless of whether it was physical or mental. It doesnt matter if it was bred to retrieve, point, shake little animals to death, or pull sleds. If you can get it to work until its tired it will be happy.
>>
make him pull a sled while fighting bulls i guess?
seriously, you're fucked
and if you bred him on purpose, you just get what you deserve desu
take good care of doggo plz
>>
>>2304661
Definitely not doing biking. I hate biking so much. No biking.

>>2305408
>mental exercises to tire out
Works to an extent but not really. He definitely needs his exercise

>>2305433
That's kind of what I figured. I take him on almost daily runs plus run around time in a 6 acre yard with another dog but figured he could use more

>>2305441
>bred him on purpose
what? No fuck that. I love him, but I'd never be dumb enough to breed a pit and a husky

my parents got him when he was an 8 week old puppy, and when he pooped on the carpet as an 8 week old puppy doee, they didn't want him anymore and made him my responsibility

as I've said I love him to pieces, but I absolutely never want another husky or husky mix again. I've had pits just fine, but huskies are just neurotic.
>>
>>2305456
There are specialized dry land mushing rigs, if you have the money to sink. They are pricey though. Lots and lots of people tie their dogs to kick scooters instead of bikes, if that is nore your thing.
>>
>Dog that can virtually run for every waking hour
>How do I get rid of this extra energy?

You dont, and certainly not through exercise, that is utterly futile. Going on runs with you is like taking a nap for him. I already said this, but you have to keep him drained and happy through other means unless you want your whole life to revolve around exercising your dog.
>>
>>2304134
>he doesn't give a single fuck about fetch
Put something delicious in something he can't open. When he has the object, call him and give him some of it. If he won't listen, use the leash gently. After a few times he should have learned, that bringing you this object will give him food.
You can combine that with other agility exercises or tricks.

There is no need to buy agility equipment. There are plenty of diys online, but you can take anything for basic training. If no kids are around, you can use a playground or you can let him jump on benches, run around tires. But really, if you want to drain his energy, playing fetch would be the easiest thing to do.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.