[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aq/ - Aquarium General - My Bubbles Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 73

File: BQ6Tgi.gif (4MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
BQ6Tgi.gif
4MB, 400x225px
Previous Thread: >>2298291

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size
-parameters
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

Links:
>General aquarium care sheets - http://www.google.com
>Livestock and plants for sale - http://www.petsolutions.com/ http://www.aquabid.com
>Useful & Extensive database for aquatic plants and their parameters - http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
>>
>>2303289
>that tank
Threw up a bit
>>
I know Glofish are tacky and all... but these new red tiger barbs are AMAZING to me.

I am deeply considering letting them be a species-only tank. Has anyone had them? I heard they don't really have any health issues aside the standard of normal tiger barbs. Any pics would be cool.
>>
>>2303290
Are you just mad about the airstone? who cares.
>>
>>2303292
>goldfish
Top Kek. You may be able to buy a tank and buy a nice scape but you can't buy experience.
>>
>>2303289
Why the fuck is it so hard for you NEETs to link the old thread to the new one?
>>
>>2303322
I think people are smart enough to use search
>>
File: P_20170121_003428.jpg (2MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
P_20170121_003428.jpg
2MB, 4096x2304px
I'm new pls no bully.
POST 1
THE TANK

I've set up my first aquarium two days ago
>1 betta fish
>fluval spec 5 gallon
>50w heater that maintains 78F
>Fluval conditioner
>2 anubias plants
>gravel
>3 rocks
>6 mossballs
>thermometer
I've already modified the filter. According to my research bettas hate currents so I repeated a trick some guy showed on YT and made holes in the tube that connects filter pump and the outtake nozzle. There is a current still but its much, much weaker.
Maybe a mistake is that I didn't cycle beforehand. But I have a nitrite/nitrate kit and testing water everyday, planning to replace water often, maybe tomorrow ill change like 20%.
Another thing is that I'm not sure about the plants. Did I place them right/tolerable? He sometimes swims in the leaves, sometimes hovers under leaves. Also I planted them into the gravel is it ok?
Also he sometimes hovers near the filter outtake nozzle.
One wall of the tank is pretty reflective and he used to chase his reflection, now just stares at it and slowly follows.
>>
File: P_20170121_221249.jpg (2MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
P_20170121_221249.jpg
2MB, 4096x2304px
>>2303330
POST 2
THE FISH
At first he went to to the corner and stayed there for a while. Then he started exploring. Now swims almost everywhere.
Eats actively and all the pellets in matter of seconds. Poops.
Today he star swimming with the top fin relaxed and sorta hanging. Occasionally grabs some air from the surface.
I've noticed there is a scale/piece of skin that seems to be peeled. Is this a big problem, should I medicate him?
>>
>>2303322
>not using the catalog

dumbass
>>
My dumbass managed to miss this post while searching the catalog. First time cycling thread I made over here if anyone wants to help.
>>2303318
>>
>>2303330
>>2303332
This all looks good minus the moss ball. Marimo balls tend to not do so well in tropical water, they prefer colder temps. Yours might live a few months but expect it to start browning from the inside out soonish.

For the flake of skin, don't medicate. Put some pure Epsom salt in the tank, just a couple pinches and that should get rid of any little scrapes and keep them clean.
>>
>>2303291
I work at PetSmart, so I got to see them first thing when they started shipping. The color is really nice, but male cherry barbs look just as good [mostly] naturally.

The Starfire Red Glo Barbs seem to die unexpectedly during shipping and in store more often than the green Glo barbs or the regular type, but we haven't actually been through that many of them, so that may just be up to chance.
>>
>>2303338
How the nitro cycle works:

- Fish create ammonia in their waste.
- Ammonia in the water creates nitrites. Nitrites eat ammonia.
- Nitrites create nitrates. Nitrates eat nitrites.
- Nitrates in the water will be pushed through your filter, causing bacteria to eat the nitrates. This is beneficial bacteria and it is the life support of your entire tank.

During this time, ammonia/nitrite levels will spike as its 'predator' forms in the water to 'eat' it. This is normal but you need to do heavier water changes to not poison your fish.

Beneficial bacteria can be purchased at petstores. Safestart helps. Never replace an entire filter or you are getting rid of the 'apex predator' of the nitro cycle and it will have to start and establish again.

The process tends to take a week.
>>
>>2303339
I've had marimo in two of my tank at 76-78F for nearly two years and all it's done is grow bigger.
>>
File: blue-danio-pic.jpg (100KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
blue-danio-pic.jpg
100KB, 1000x1000px
>>2303291
There's a small number of glofish colors that really don't look half bad under normal lighting. the Blue danios are a favorite of mine

Generally the glofish aren't different from their normal counterparts, some people report they have slightly weaker immune systems but not sure if it's been confirmed
>>
>>2303345
Do I introduce SafeStart first thing? Or do I wait for the nitrates to develop?
I know I can test for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrites with those kits, but how do I go about introducing the ammonia?
>>
>>2303318
>Apparently I can just drop in food to do this? How much food?
Any source of ammonia will work. Fish waste, decaying fish food, tiny pieces of seafood, pure household ammonia (no detergents or surfactants), etc.
If you have a test kit, you'd want to raise the ammonia to 1 or 2 ppm and keep it there until it goes down on its own. Without a test kit you can just wing it and have the water tested at a shop once a week.
>My HOB filter is currently empty.
Did it not come with anything to put in it?
>I believe i need to put ceramic rings, some sort of filter pad, or both in it. What do I put in this thing?
Easiest thing to put in it is whatever the manufacturer designed it to have inside of it. In this case, Grreat Choiceâ„¢ filter cartridges (probably the small ones, but I'm not 100%).
Otherwise, you can put a piece of coarse sponge near the bottom of the filter (ie AquaClear brand) and buy a mesh media bag, put biomedia in it (ceramic media, sintered glass, lava rock), and place that on top of the sponge. You could do a second media bag with activated carbon in it, but it's not needed.
Since you have a dirty, dirty goldfish, I'd highly recommend the latter, with a fair amount of biomedia.
>How am I supposed to tell when it's okay to add my fish to the tank?
Test the water. Either buy a test kit or take it to a store and they'll test it for you. When the water tests with zero ammonia, zero nitrite, and nitrates above zero, the tank is cycled.

What do you have the goldfish in right now? He might be better off if you just cycle the new tank with him in it.

(1/2)
>>
>>2303352
I've read it's possible to directly feed the SafeStart bacteria by adding ammonia to the water.
You can buy pure ammonia(without other chemicals mixed in) and add it to the water.
>>
>>2303318
(2/2)

If you haven't already, you should get some root tabs (look on eBay) for those plants. They aren't going to last very long with plain gravel and cheap LEDs. Then again, the goldfish might end up eating them anyway.
Marimo, java moss, and anubias will fare better.

"Bottled bacteria" products like Tetra SafeStart or API Quick Start have mixed reputations. It could end up speeding up your cycle, but if you decide to try one, keep your receipt, and ask for a refund if the tank isn't fully cycled within two weeks.
>>
>>2303352
You can buy pure ammonia or just put a fish in and let that start up the ammonia. I don't really care about fishless cycles, doing your water changes won't harm the fish.

After the fish has been in for a day or two, do a water change then just put all the SafeStart in. Or you can keep it I guess for later use, but every time I've started a new tank I just put the whole bottle in. You can't overdose on beneficial bacteria.
>>
>>2303404
bloop
>>
>>2303406
bep
>>
File: IMG_4374.jpg (81KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4374.jpg
81KB, 800x533px
>>2303291
>>2303342
>Natural
Fuck that criticism, plenty of attractive pet fish are unnatural like most bettas, goldfish varieties, koi, albinos, etc. A lot of reef tanks have pics taken under just blue LEDs which make that exact same pigments fluoresce in their corals and I rarely see that get called tacky despite that not showing natural colors.

Glofish can look nice and if you enjoy them that's all that really matters.

>>2303347
>weaker immune system
If true that may be from inbreeding rather than the color as well.
>>
>>2303429
There's a difference between selective breeding and straight-up meddling with their genes in a lab.
>>
>>2303432
Not from an aesthetic point of view. The fish still end up looking unnatural.

Also it's faster and more effective than selective breeding.
>>
>>2303429
>comparing a light highlighting the natural beauty of corals or the amazing patterns of a fancy koi or betta to a to the bright flat color filling every cell of a glofish
you wouldn't know tacky if it hit on you in your doctors waiting room. glofish can never look nice because they're just an ugly color
>>
>average glofish owner tank
>>
>>2303448
It's literally the same color as the corals you are taking about. Get a brain and maybe people could take your opinions seriously.
>>
>>2303450
>Tank full of goldfish further connecting glofish to domestic fish species
>Complaining that fish tanks marketed to young kids are usually owned by young kids

Pathetic argument
>>
>>2303451
it's literally a single color. corals and naturally colorful fish don't have just one pigment coloring every piece of their body. glofish always look like shit.
>>
>>2303452
>further connecting glofish to domestic fish species
all the glofish so far are domestic fish species.
>>
>>2303347
>>2303291
>>2303455
Neither of these fish are a solid color and corals don't naturally exist under color enhancing LEDs that significantly alter their appearance.

>>2303459
You're an idiot, tiger bards and zebra danios are not domestic species
>>
>>2303450
Children should not own pets.
>>
>>2303472
Duh

Although I'm willing to have Brine Shrimp sacrificed if it saves the fish. Not that I would ever allow a child to "own" something that's alive.
>>
File: glofish-starfire-red-tetra.jpg (43KB, 625x395px) Image search: [Google]
glofish-starfire-red-tetra.jpg
43KB, 625x395px
>>2303429
>red eyes of death staring deep into your soul every moment of every day
Yeah, no. I'll take the natural fish that don't have the mark of the fucking devil.
Also fuck you.
>>
>>2303429
Glo fish are still 8.99 here. The red glo tiger barbs look sick as fuck bro. But Chinese people need to stop breeding fish. Like balloon or short bodies. Or flowerhorn switch koks so big they can't even swim or eat properly. God damn Asians.
>>
Do any of you guys know age/size panda corys are sexually mature ? Mine are about 4 cms or so and its not super clear as to which ones are male or female? I have had them for about 3 months now and they were a similiar size when i purchased them. Any one have experience with them ?
>>
one of my female guppies is harassing my albino cory catfish. nipping at her body and eyes. why ? what do ?
>>
>>2303432
Yeah, one is badass
>>
File: n9wuJu9.jpg (69KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
n9wuJu9.jpg
69KB, 960x720px
>>2303580
true
>>
>>2303289
I just ordered a test kit for my tank -- but how do you actually change the levels if they're not where they should be? i.e., what do you do if the pH is too high or there's too much of something? Also, how often should I be doing water and filter changes for a 10g with a betta, six tetras and some shrimp?
>>
>>2303463
>zebra danios are not domestic species
never go full retard
>>
>>2303657
>filter changes
Top kekarooooooooo
>>
File: gfplimbregeneration.jpg (519KB, 2080x792px) Image search: [Google]
gfplimbregeneration.jpg
519KB, 2080x792px
>>2303593
Yeah, what would do without genetic modification? Nothing else stands up.
>>
We havent even reached bump limit
>>
File: TETRA-ALBINO.jpg (85KB, 500x335px) Image search: [Google]
TETRA-ALBINO.jpg
85KB, 500x335px
>>2303484
people still like albinos

>>2303670
>implying they are
You're an idiot, they live around the Himalayas
>>
>>2303739
>You're an idiot, they live around the Himalayas
so do potato
chickens live in southeast asia
>>
>>2303740
Wild potatoes are poisonous and are from South America. The red jungle fowl isn't kept in captivity, only the domesticated subspecies are. The typical danio on the market is just a regular wildtype zebra danio.
>>
File: IMG_20170119_043030.jpg (674KB, 912x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170119_043030.jpg
674KB, 912x1600px
>>2303289
I purchased a female Betta as a companion to my male as he seemed a bit depressed and lonely. Hardly took any notice of my 10 Cardinals.
He is happier now but my worry is if they mate and I'll have to buy multiple tanks to segregate the males from fighting.
Any tips would be much appreciated.
Cheers.
>>
Hello, dragonbro here, but I'm not here for dragonfish stuff, he's doing great now, doubled his feeding and hes acting way chiller, even MORE active.
My question is, right now he's in a 20 gal, I know I'm going to have to upgrade soon to accommodate his size and that's no problem BUT
What kind of substrate would be best for him in his next tank? Dragonfish are diggers and sifter but I've read you want something more gravel than sand. Right now he has basic sand stuff from petsmart, but it's sort of chunky. Should I be going for finer grain? I'm new to these little bastards.
Also, I've seen people here say ir pumps and bubbles tones aren't necessary, is this true for dragonfish? All fish? Having air flow is somthing that's been hammered into my head as important by Petstore workers.
>>
>>2303747
He is depressed because you've got him with other fish. Bettas PREFER to be alone.
>>
>>2303747
Bettas are a pain in the ass to breed, so don't worry if they mate. The fry will be eaten.
>>
>>2303739
>people still like albinos
Yeah, and they're wrong for it.
>>
Anyone else here into reef tanks? I've got a tremendous Bryopsis problem.
>>
>>2303758
This. Bettas are dicks, either they won't breed because they just don't like each other, or they do breed and the male eats half the eggs before you can remove him.
Never again.
>>
File: don'tlikememe.jpg (67KB, 680x473px) Image search: [Google]
don'tlikememe.jpg
67KB, 680x473px
>>2303760
>>
>>2303763
Would wild-type bettas do this?
>>
>>2303761
Been a long time since I messed with reefs, but iirc you want to raise your magnesium levels. Do it slowly, not raising your total ppm by more than 90 per day. Make sure you don't throw off your specific gravity and you shouldn't lose any inverts.
>>
>>2303555
>buy wild plakat betta
>tie up guppy
>dangle it around the betta tank
>recreate that scene in Die Another Day where the korean dude beats up that guy in the punching bag
>>
>>2303782
All bettas do it. They're hard to breed in captivity. Not hard if you're trying to breed them deliberately, but in a community tank without specific action on your part there won't be any fry.
>>
File: IMG_20170122_082415.jpg (599KB, 912x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170122_082415.jpg
599KB, 912x1600px
>>2303758
>>2303763
Thanks, puts my mind at rest as I wouldn't be able to afford more than one or two more tanks.
That said the male seems rather keen on the young girl Betta. Maybe he is a peso haha.
The Cardinals on the other hand I find easy to breed. Is this normal?
>>
>>2303784
I'll give it a try. I'm thinking of getting some Pacific lettuce slugs too, since they actually eat Bryopsis.
>>
>>2303761
>>2303784
Now that I think about it, you can also mix up a concentrated magnesium mixture using epsom salts or Tech M and use a syringe to basically spray the magnesium onto the bryopsis. I don't remember that working as well as just raising the magnesium levels, but it was a lot easier and I didn't have to worry about nuking my inverts.

https://austinreefkeeper.wordpress.com/2010/03/18/how-to-rid-your-reef-of-bryopsis/
>>
>>2303793
Definitely trying this. Thanks, Aquabro.
>>
>>2303788
Cardinal tetras are pretty difficult to breed, so it's surprising that yours are doing it. Usually they only breed in dimly lit tanks with low pH, and even then they just eat their fry. Kudos to you if you've managed to breed them in a betta tank.
>>
>>2303330
>>2303332
looks bretty good, although obviously a beginner setup, good job going with a real 5 gal tank instead of some gimmicky shit. plants look fine, except moss balls are kinda generally tacky. depending on taste you could probably add some easy care plants and more leafy plants for him to rest on. I'd also try to get rid of the reflective part of the glass, even if he's appeared to have calmed down it's still probably stressing him out. And if you're up to it id recommend changing to a dark colored gravel and or turn down the lights a bit because a lot of light reflecting up from the bottom of the tank can be confusing and stressful. I'm not sure how much of it is the photo but it looks way too bright.

oh and >>2303339 is right about the epsom salts too.

good luck my dude.
>>
>>2303798
Didn't have Betta then, just Cardinals and a handful of hockey sticks.
Maybe I should invest in a tank solely for a Betta. Any idea what size they like?
Loved breeding Cardinals, now I know why I haven't been able to since getting Bettas.
What fish/tank do you have?
>>
>>2303814
5 gals are well suited for bettas
>>
>>2303825
5 females to 1 male? Lucky fish!
What size of tank is optimal for this?
>>
File: stock-photo-17179181.jpg (139KB, 1500x1147px) Image search: [Google]
stock-photo-17179181.jpg
139KB, 1500x1147px
>>2303834
quite the joker, aren't ya
>>
File: IMG_20140904_233652.jpg (300KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140904_233652.jpg
300KB, 1536x2048px
Does anyone's Labrador sleep like this?
I call it 'the dead frog' pose.
Post pictures if so.
Fight the power!
>>
>>2303747
>>2303788
>10 cardinal tetras crammed into a tiny cylindrical tank with betta
>"Maybe if I cram another fish in here it'll be even better!"
He's probably just stressed the fuck out because he doesn't have any personal space. That tank looks just about big enough for the male betta by himself and no other fish.

Also mixing male and female bettas together, especially in small tanks, very rarely ends up well.

>>2303763
Usually it's the females that eat the eggs, not the males.
>>
>>2303330
>>2303332
For reasons involving chemistry, unless your water is incredibly hard, nitrites are probably going to be a bigger problem than ammonia regarding fish-in cycling, but if you can keep the nitrites below 0.5 (or even 0.25) the betta should be okay.
Plant placement is okay. With anubias you want the rhizome to be above the gravel, but the roots can be buried. It's generally easier to attach the anubias to rocks or wood using fishing line, thread, zip ties, etc. The rhizome is the fat tubular thing at the bottom that all the smaller roots come off of.

Additional plant choices will be limited with that gravel and the stock light, but buces, java fern, mosses (java, Xmas, Taiwan, flame, phoenix), hornwort, and crypts should be easy to keep. If you get some root tabs it'll expand your options for stem and rosette plants, too.

Maybe you can use more plants or decor to try and obscure the reflective wall.

The peeling scale doesn't seem like a big deal. Keeping the water as clean as possible will help him recover on his own.
>>
File: IMG_20150228_191627.jpg (308KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150228_191627.jpg
308KB, 2048x1536px
>>2303865
I'm a novice but learning. No need to have a go at me.
Next tank I get won't be a biorb.
Here's Apache my Betta.
>>
>>2303865
Also the male Betta seems much less lugubrious since introduction of female.
He even shoals with the Cardinals.
Possibly I have a unique one haha.
>>
>>2303902
retard
>>
>>2303894
Being a beginner is no excuse for gross incompetence and not doing research. You're certainly a novice, but it doesn't sound like you're learning anything. Get a bigger tank for the fish you already have and do actual research.
>>
>>2303682
Very helpful. Thank you.
>>
>>2303506
The females are thicc and big computed to the maled. Usually it is netter seen when viewed from above
>>
File: IMG_7746.jpg (53KB, 750x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7746.jpg
53KB, 750x720px
>>2303920
>thicc
>>
>>2303920
fugg
>>
>>2303345
I thought nitrates was the end of the cycle and that there wasn't any bacteria that heavily utilized nitrates. This is why algae appears once nitrates form as plants love the stuff?
>>
Hey guys, any ideas for a single/pair of fish for a ten gallon? I was gonna set up a full community tank in my dorm, but my parents vetoed it. I'll probably just get a betta, but what are some other interesting fish that would do well alone/in a pair? It'll be a fairly heavily planted tank.
>>
File: African_dwarf_frog_cutted.png (2MB, 1302x742px) Image search: [Google]
African_dwarf_frog_cutted.png
2MB, 1302x742px
>>2303949
not fish, but ADFs are amazing too.
>>
File: P_20170122_185420.jpg (1MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
P_20170122_185420.jpg
1MB, 4096x2304px
>>2303886
>>2303812
>>2303339
Thank a lot for advice.

I changed a gallon of water today and the test showed almost zero(around 0.005) nitrites.
Tomorrow I'll get some of the salt and add one pinch.

The left side wall is the reflective one and he still likes to stare at it. Probably ill put a row of few elodeas along the wall to completely block the reflection.

The light has only an ON/OFF switch. I was suspecting that the light might be too bright, but I saw a lot of experienced fish people on YT keeping bettas in these tanks and nobody mentioned it tho. I made like a screen from paper and it doesn't look that bright anymore. I'm not sure if the original light is a problem or not, if it is I'll make a better looking screen by attaching paper with double sided duct tape. I'd prefer to have the brighter light but if it harms the fish or makes it blind ill use the screen.

I like the moss balls tho so they gonna stay.
>>
>>2303753
Try play sand, you can get it from just about any hard ware store. Around here it's 50 pounds for 5$. It's filthy though so you need to rinse it well.

I'd be hesitant on gravel, with his mouth I feel like he could accidentally eat a stone and it cause impaction. If I remember right, they're basically blind.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170122-190146.png (3MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170122-190146.png
3MB, 1440x2560px
Hey guys, admittedly just looking for a little comfort here.

My little girl Ellie died today. (Yes I know Ellie was a boy but I gave her the name Ellie.) She started getting sick 2 weeks ago and I did a 20%, and then a 50% water change. Tried a pea. Replaced the filter, then tried some tetracycline for 3 days. She just continued to deteriorate. She finally passed away today. I have cats too and I love giving animals a good home and a good life because a lot of people are terrible but man when they die it sucks. At two and a half years old I'm glad she got to live with me and not in a bowl somewhere for 3 months but I am sad.

Thanks guys. Pic related this is Ellie two months ago.
>>
>>2304016
tacky shit tank
>>
>>2303956
Good point, hadn't thought of them.
>>
>>2304022
Can you not? That tank looks fine, and I doubt the fish cares what you think about it.
>>
>>2304027
Yeah cause it's fucking dead lmao
>>
>>2304031
True.
>>
>>2303920
Do you know how long it takes for them to get like that ?
>>
>>2303905
I came on this thread to get advice and not to be insulted.
Many posters gave me constructive tips, you on the other hand are a fish tank spastic.
Well done.
>>
>>2303894
You obviously didn't do any research when choosing your fish or your tanks, and you continued making decisions without any actual knowledge on the matter and based on nothing but your "feelings," so I don't feel sorry for "having a go at you."
Also, if you can't handle some very mild snarkiness without getting defensive, you don't belong here in the first place. If all you want is yes men and hand holding you're better off finding some betta bowl enthusiast forum.
Mixing males with females almost always ends up with one or the other being attacked. Maybe you'll get lucky, but I wouldn't make decisions for my pets that depended on me "being lucky."

Advice would be to get a 10 or 20 gallon tank for the cardinal tetras and one of the bettas, and leave the other betta in the smaller tank.

Your betta's cute btw.
>>
>>2304129
Thanks.
My flat is small so can only get 1 more tank. And it won't be a biorb even though they look very ornamental.
What tanks do you have and what's in them?
>>
>>2303753
In nature they would be in mud and silt. Fine grain sand is going to be the closest you'll get to that in an aquarium. The stuff you have in there right now should is okay for him. When you go to upgrade the tank, all-purpose or playground sand is probably finer than the stuff from PetSmart, but those sands are very dusty and will have to be rinsed thoroughly before being added to the tank. The National Geographic "marble white" or "golden sunset" reptile sand sold at PetSmart (the regular quartz sand, not calcium carbonate) is very fine and would be okay to use in an aquarium, but it's pricier than play sand.

Bubbles are kind of a retro thing that were more popular in the 70s and 80s, before power filters were ubiquitous. As long as the filter is moving the top of the water, it'll stay oxygenated. Getting an air pump in addition to the filter won't hurt anything, but if you're going to make the tank brackish you're going to end up with a ton of salt crust on everything.

>>2304012
Aquarium lights are going to be much less strong than actual sunlight, regardless of what they look like to the naked eye. Arranging the plants and decorations to give the betta a shaded area or a cave and leaving the light as is would be a better approach. It also probably looks really bright because of the phosphorescent white rocks you have in the tank. They're reflecting a huge amount of light back into the tank compared to what darker substrates would do.
If you want, you can switch the substrate to a plant substrate like EcoComplete, FloraMax, or Fluval Stratum to help with your plants and keep the tank a bit less blindingly bright.

Moss balls are ace.

>>2304016
F
>>
>>2303289
Would guppy fry be a good feeder fish for a Rope Fish/Bichir?
>>
>>2304135
15 gallon killifish tank
8 gallon shrimp tank
40 gallon tropical commmunity tank

I'm in the process of moving a lot of things around, so none of my tanks look very nice right now.
>>
File: Nothobranchius-Eggersi.jpg (154KB, 786x584px) Image search: [Google]
Nothobranchius-Eggersi.jpg
154KB, 786x584px
>>2303949
>what are some other interesting fish that would do well alone/in a pair?
If you're not dead-set on the betta,
>pea puffer
>scarlet badis
>sparkling gourami
>licorice gourami
>Neolamprologus multifasciatus cichlids
>Asian moth catfish
>bumblebee goby
>peacock gudgeon
>dwarf crayfish

And some motherfucking KILLIFISH.

Most of those wouldn't be good with a betta, though.
>>
>>2304145
I will buy a 2nd tank when I get paid. Quite keen on a shoal of tiger barbs, do they need a big tank?
What are killifish?
You seem to have a good mix once they are all looking good.
Have you thought about marine tanks? Beautiful colours.
>>
>>2303345
A little wrong. Ammonia is converted to nitrite via bacterial action. Nitrite is converted to nitrate by bacterial action. At this point, the bacteria have robbed it of all its electrical energy. Then, plants consume the nitrate to remove it from the tank. If you do not have enough plants, regular water changes are required to remove the buildup of nitrates.
>>
>>2303939
See
>>2304162
>>
>>2304154
20 long would be good start. If you're not in the USA I know it's a bitch to find good priced tanks. Even for a 10 gallon they're still pretty steep.
>>
File: image.jpg (587KB, 3264x1381px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
587KB, 3264x1381px
RIP Toby the Goby. I see him everyday but it's been 3 days. I'm going to assume he's dead. I left my tank lip open when I went to work. I have a cat that loves to watch my tank I wonder if he jumped out and it was eaten. I had a dream last night finding him dead under the sand. I feel like shit m8s.
>>
Getting a 20 long tomorrow. I have no idea what to put in it...

I kind of just want a ton of nano-fish since those and bettas are all I've kept in my small tanks so far. Seems most fish 2 inches and above do better in bigger tanks so you can have bigger schools.
>>
File: 6959070684_22a6ffdeea_b.jpg (171KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
6959070684_22a6ffdeea_b.jpg
171KB, 1024x682px
>>2304177
Pic related, something I want a bunch of. They're so cute. I had a few clown killifish in one of my 5 gals that were fun.
>>
File: image.jpg (366KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
366KB, 1024x768px
>>2304177
>>
>>2304165
Will probably get a 2nd hand and clean the shit out of it. Want to exchange emails? You sound like you know your fish.
>>
>>2304180
What is that?
>>
>>2303939
Okay, I kind of went crazy explaining everything here, but I think it's worth knowing if you're going to be seriously involved in this hobby, and I'm a nerd who honestly finds this kind of stuff interesting.

Like >>2304162 said, it's bacteria that do the conversions. Nitrite and nitrate don't "eat" or "predate" anything. There's a fourth stage to the nitrification process in which nitrate is converted to nitrogen gas, which simply evaporates. The bacteria responsible for that stage, however, are anoxic or anaerobic, meaning that they can only live in very oxygen poor environments. Because we need to keep our water well-oxygenated for our animals' health, they don't exist in most home aquariums in large enough numbers to have any impact on tank chemistry.
All of these bacteria are ubiquitous. They exist pretty much everywhere, it's just a matter of getting enough of them in the tank to make a difference.

Plants need nitrogen to grow. Their "preferred" form of nitrogen is going to be ammonium. 90-99% of the "ammonia" in your tank is actually ammonium. You have a higher ratio of ammonium in your tank if your pH and temperature are high. Test kits don't test for one without the other. This is why some people will say something like "ammonia is more toxic at higher pH."
Ammonium is essentially nontoxic to fish, but because it always comes with ammonia, which is highly toxic and unusable to plants, we don't want it in our tanks.
This is also why some people will make a huge deal about ammonia levels when cycling a tank. If you have a 0.5 ppm reading of ammonia on a test kit, your fish are probably fine, because most of that is actually ammonium. If you had 0.5 ppm of actual ammonia, those fish would be toast. Most people don't know to make the distinction.

(1/2)
>>
>>2304204

(2/2)

Nitrites, afaik, aren't very useful to plants, and plants can actually be poisoned by high nitrite levels. Also, unlike ammonia, nitrite "becomes more toxic" at /lower/ pH levels. As pH goes lower, the ratio of nitrous acid to total nitrite increases. Nitrite is already highly toxic, nitrous acid is worse. There is little or no data regarding the actual ratios at which nitrous acid appears in water.
This is why you might read in some places that nitrite is "more dangerous" to fish them ammonia during the cycling process.

Nitrates are largely nontoxic to fish. At high levels, nitrates can cause stress to fish and bring out underlying problems in the fish, such as allowing it to succumb to parasites or bacteria in the water that its immune system previously had no problem fighting off.
Plants can still use nitrates very easily. Not quite as easily as ammonium, but because it isn't paired with a toxic counterpart, we prefer it to ammonia or ammonium in the water. Plants are perfectly capable of vigorous growth at relatively low nitrate levels which would be practically unnoticed to fish, around 5-20ppm.

Algae is a very simple life form and has very simple requirements, allowing it to thrive where more complex plants cannot. For example, is water is rich in nitrogen but contains low levels of magnesium, potassium, iron, phosphorous, etc, live plants could experience nutritional deficiencies and eventually wither and die, whereas algae can thrive on nothing but nitrogen and light.
Algae is also ubiquitous. It exists everywhere in some form or another, even if only as spores.

Feel free to screencap this. I'm not going to want to type it again and I'm not very good at keeping files where I can find them.
>>
>>2304204
>>2304205
When I said "eat" and "predate" I put it in quotes just to simplify it. The guy was completely new to tanks and said he wasn't understanding guides from google so I tried to make it as easy to understand as possible.
>>
I just watched my female betta approach the ADF in her tank because the ADF started swallowing a piece of leftover food. She didn't see it attack the food, just saw it doing its chewing thing, and then zoomed up to it and looked around the substrate to see if more was left.

She almost always ignores the frog. It's an awesome little display of intelligence to see her do this, I think. She's tenaciously curious and seemed to understand that a completely foreign, different species was munching on something and maybe she could get some more food too.
>>
File: 20170123_003754.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170123_003754.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Changed the scape a bit, anyone know how to remove anchor worms?
>>
File: 20170122_193736.jpg (899KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170122_193736.jpg
899KB, 3264x1836px
>>2303484
>>2303739
>>2303760
SRSLY?!
>>
>>2304210
I get what you were trying to do, but I find that dumbing things down for people often leads to misinformation being spread unintentionally.

I didn't mean you any offense by it.
>>
>>
>>2304214
I really like the way that algae is growing on your wood, and the galaxial background is kind of charming in a hokey way.

Don't know anything about anchorworms, though.
>>
File: killis.jpg (58KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
killis.jpg
58KB, 960x540px
>>2304154
Tiger barbs will need a tank at least 60 cm long. They're fairly aggressive, though, so I wouldn't suggest keeping them with the cardinal tetras or a betta.

If you can find five-lined barbs (Puntius pentazona) or snakeskin barbs (Desmopuntius rhomboocellatus), they look similar to tiger barbs, but smaller, and are both very peaceful. Them, the cardinal tetras, and the female betta would all be comfortable in a 60 or 75 cm long tank. I would be wary of them biting at the male betta's fins.

Killifish is actually a huge group of over 1000 different kinds of fish. The ones I have are Fundulopanchax gardneri. Pic is my female and one of my males before he died.

I posted an old picture of the 40 gallon tank I mentioned in the other thread you made, but I can't find it now.

I personally find reef tanks to be garish, but I have huge respect for the effort and attention that goes into setting up and maintaining a proper reef aquarium.

>>2304177
CPDs continue to be some of the most beautiful nano fish in existence. The aforementioned snakeskin barbs are also very, very nice, and I personally like threadfin rainbowfish.
Many little fish is nicer than a few big ones imo.

>>2304178
>clown killifish
Absolutely patrician taste, my friend.

>>2304202
Barbus fasciolatus
>>
File: 2017-01-23 00.46.53.jpg (30KB, 374x375px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-23 00.46.53.jpg
30KB, 374x375px
>>2304221
I WISH it would grow on that wood, it's sitting on it but I can't get the moss to love the wood, hold the wood, enjoy the wood. But it wont.

T. Dissaproving white cloud
>>
File: Tetra photobomb.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
Tetra photobomb.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Tetra wants all the attention but albino Chan is CUTE
>>
>>2304223
[email protected]
I think you can help me with my tanks and fish.
Would be appreciated.
>>
>>2304101
when they're about 3.5 - 4 cm
>>
>>2304216
#cuterwithcolor
>>
File: 1473754430455.jpg (26KB, 720x715px) Image search: [Google]
1473754430455.jpg
26KB, 720x715px
>>2304216
Fuckin you man every thread ! Seriously fuck you , fuck your corys and fuck your stupid anchor worms !
>>
>>2304217
Not op but i agree with you sincerely
>>
File: 20170101_145918.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170101_145918.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I like ur cories but they aren't my cories!

Also gave another bath of PP hopefully anchor worms will die off the main victim
>>
File: image.jpg (205KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
205KB, 1080x1080px
>they'll never know
>>
>>2304143
Ive found them to be too small to really do anything but theyll work

I prefer platy personally
>>
>>2304143
Livebearers are pretty fatty, but they work well as treats. Platies are more substantial and swim faster, so they'll give the bichir more of a workout. Cichlids like convicts would be healthier as far as feeder fish go.
Be wary of offering any diseased fish as feeders.

Insects or crustaceans would be good staples, if you want to feed him primarily live food. Diced frozen white fish or shrimp are also good.

I read somewhere that the come from the same waters as ADFs and will sometimes eat those in the wild.
>>
>>2304223
Not OP but just wanted to add the ruby barbs (Pethia nigrofasciata) also look similar to tiger barbs and stay about the same size while still being peaceful fish. They look different when in breeding colors though but those are fantastic

These will probably be a bit easier to find than the other two listed but the other two listed are very nice fish.
>>
>>2304143
Sure. But keep in mind they're practically blind. I can drop pellets and worms in front of my bichirs face and he'll look around for a for a whole minute then find them.
>>
I want to get a qt bichir and name him Kamata-kun.
>>
>>2304214
Formalin or potassium permanganate dips.

Are you 100% sure it's anchor worms?
>>
>>2304520
>Day 48 they still believe I am just another bichir
>>
>>2304558
>>2304548
>>2304567
Thanks, Ive been feeding him beefheart and frozen bloodworms, figured live foods would make him happier.

How about earthworms?
>>
>>2304645
Red wrigglers apparently taste very bad, but he might eat them anyway. Nightcrawlers are a bit more widely accepted. If he's too small for a whole nightcrawler you can cut it in half.
>>
>>2304645
>>2304660
Earthworms in general are a very haelthy food for him, though. Forgot that part.
>>
>>2304663
Thanks. Any further suggestuons?
>>
>>2304664
>replies: 140
>posters: 40
You guys are wild. Anyway, can adult triops (sea monkeys) be housed with fish that are not aggressive towards inverts? I've heard a lot of opinions, some even going as far as to say that triops would hurt the fish.
>>
>>2304664
Oops, didn't mean to reply to your post. Ignore that.
>>
File: DSC04330.jpg (53KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04330.jpg
53KB, 1024x576px
>>2304600
I believe so, verrrrry tiny little stringy things hanging off the fins, similar to pic related. I have been giving potassium permanganate baths and do see less worms after, but the seem to come back. I have also been using microbe lift anchor worm treatment but it seems to do fuck all, so I will be doing PP baths daily in distilled water till I see no more. Honestly once the anchor worms are totally gone, I will donate these corys along with their fry I'm raising, and my neon tetras and get something else. Maybe some khuli loaches, would 5 be ok for a 20 gallon long?
>>
File: Java-Loach-Pangio-oblonga.jpg (41KB, 600x296px) Image search: [Google]
Java-Loach-Pangio-oblonga.jpg
41KB, 600x296px
Do loaches eat snails or is that just a meme that PetSmart tells you to sell you loaches? I bought two java loaches(aka black kuhli loach) and I haven't seen them eat snails.
>>
>>2304678
Yeah, just have hiding spots for them.
>>
>>2304664
Shrimp. Crickets, if he'll come up to eat them, or if you're okay with holding them in front of him.
You can do things like waxworms and phoenix worms occasionally. Frozen stuff like krill, tilapia, or prawns are also good in addition to the bloodworms.

By the way, beefheart has the wrong kinds of fat and protein for him. As an occasional treat it's not going to hurt him, but too much of it could give him a fatty liver.
>>
>>2304678
>would 5 be ok for a 20 gallon long?
Yup.

>>2304684
Botiid loaches eat snails. Java loaches are not Botiid loaches. Botiid loaches also tend to get rather large and almost all loaches (incl java) are very social and should be kept in groups of five or more.
>>
>>2304678
Those look a lot smaller than any anchor worms I've ever seen. And I've never seen them on fins, only under scales (which makes it odd that they're on a scaleless fish in the first place). Pretty sure it's some form of flagellate. In either case, the potassium permanganate will treat it. Salt would clear it up faster, but corys don't like salt.
>>
>>2304708
It's a smaller species of anchor worm called larnaea and they are tiny, but yes the PP baths have helped, albeit like chemo would, the fish come out if the bath not lookin to well, but are fine later.
>>
>>2304695
>crickets
perfect, those are cheap at the pet store, will I need to hold them in the water with prongs? Also what kinds of shrimp?
>>
>>2304671
>triops (sea monkeys)
What did he mean by this?

Triops will eat anything that fit in their mouths, even each other. I wouldn't recommend keeping them with anything you want to live.
>>
File: 20170123_203205.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170123_203205.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Tendies tonight!

My c02 tank finally ran dry, gonna refill tomorrow for a few bucks.
>>
>>2304664
My boy just sniffed out some meal worms that were meant for my gar who's refusing to eat. He usually eats his food on spot. He grabbed the worms and hid.
>>
File: 20170123_204914.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170123_204914.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>2304750
Sneaky bastard, let's see a pic?

Trial by fire continues, day 2
>>
>>2304743
Aren't sea monkeys and triops the same thing? I thought "sea monkeys" was just what they were called in those dumb little kits. The ones I have look like small horseshoe crabs.
Couldn't a fish get away from them pretty easily, though? They don't seem particularly competent at hunting down even pellets, let alone a fish, but I guess they do sortof latch onto things.
>>
>>2304758
No, seamonkeys are just fairy shrimp/brine shrimp. Triops are only similar in that they have similar eggs and habitats.

>>2304520
What is he? Looks grumpy
>>
>>2304758
Sea monkeys are Brine Shrimp, though both end up being sold in little kits like that, yeah.

As for the mix and match, you can always try it out, this hobby is all about experimentation. But, I mean, if I were a fish I wouldn't want to be trapped in a class enclosure with a voracious prehistoric crustacean.
>>
>>2303432
I discovered a pair velvet swordtail juveniles in my tank that glow under actinic lighting. I am going to selectively breed them, as I can't find glo swordtails anywhere. Lol I don't think they exist.
>>
File: DSC_0013.jpg (200KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0013.jpg
200KB, 960x540px
>>
HELP
TOO MANY GUPPIES
I have a 35 gal hex tank with a group of 6 guppies (2 male, 4 female) and a couple snails. I've had them for about 6 months now, and everyone is doing well, happy and healthy. The guppies have begun breeding. Being that the fry can be cannabalized and usually need separation, I was thinking that overpopulation wouldn't be an issue. Now, however, I have 14-16 month-old fry and the 6 originals. I have pulled out most of the offspring and put them in my hospital tank for now. I don't want another (or bigger) tank, and I feel like feeding them to my turtle would be wasteful, as they are very pretty fish, half are yellow fancy(with black tail tips), and half are red Tuxedo/sunrise. Can I sell them? Where/how?

Can I prevent the main colony from breeding without harming them or separating male/female? Perhaps a water parameter tweak?
>>
>>2304778
Some local fish stores will take them in exchange for store credit.
>>
Can I have a fire belly toad in a 2.5 gallon, or should I get a forest scorpion in there instead?
>>
>>2304784
Scorpbro
>>
>>2304784
Scorpion of the 2, can only see a 2.5 gallon being suitable for 1 African dwarf frog if you take good care of water quality.
>>
File: 1485230938691-1829678932.jpg (1MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1485230938691-1829678932.jpg
1MB, 1944x2592px
So I bought some starter shrimp and was wondering how long before I need to change the water? I gave em some of the shrimp food the lady suggested, they seem to like it.
>>
>>2304778
Nothing you can do besides put a few slightly larger fish in that will eat the fry.
>>
>>2304756
any reason you chose pp over something like formalin?
just what was available?
>>
>>2304778
No, you can't stop then from breeding.

Either make your turtle tank pretty, find someone who wants them, or cull them.
>>
>>2304799
Anything else you'd suggest?
>>
>>2304816
They make the turtle tub ugly... full of guts and blood. He's a messy eater.
(Inb4 don't feed in-tank, it's one 4-inch slider in 95-100 gallons of water with 320gph of filtration. No problems with algae in over 2 years with this setup)
>>
File: 20170123_134039.jpg (2MB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
20170123_134039.jpg
2MB, 2988x5312px
Posting my ropefish
>>
>>2303291
I have a glofish tank, so far I have one of every color of the tetras, a green tiger barb and a green danio... planning to get one of every color eventually, going to go get more danios and the red tiger barb sometime this week
>>
>>2304778
I'd take them for my turtle. I already have a colony of feeder guppies as a clean up crew in my tank, some color would be nice.

There's a chance yours would possibly leave them alone. Each turtle is different but I've seen mine pretty much leave them alone
>>
>>2304828
I know from experience that my Ezra will shred any living thing, plant or animal. I've tried guppies, shrimp, snails, all manner of plants, common algae eaters, BIG MOTHERFUCKING PLECO, tetras, and even some of the more aggressive freshwater fish like cichlids. He hates everything.
>>
debating getting a tank stand. i know they're made for the tanks and made to last but i had this IKEA dresser i wanted to put my new one on but now i'm second-guessing it. i really dont want 200 gallons of water and fish to spill all over my tiny room

i was hoping to get started on it but looks like i gotta go shopping again, sigh
>>
>>2304827
What's your tank size? Barbs can be pretty mean fish and like being in groups. I don't think it's a good idea to mix them with tetras and danios, especially if it's just 2 of them.
>>
not 200 gallons, 200 pounds. it's just a 20 gallon tank
>>
>>2304822
2.5 gallons is pretty limiting. Invertebrates are the best choice and you should avoid animals that need horizontal space rather than volume such as bottom dwellers. Honestly killi fish or a betta are probably the best choice as far as vertebrates go.
>>
>>2304836
I'd prefer a dry animal like a Scorpion or spider; maybe a centipede. I have 4 "live" tanks at the moment + 1 hospital tank, I basically want something easy that will fit in this tiny 2.5 that my sister gave me for Xmas.
>>
File: IMG_20150527_041012.jpg (260KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150527_041012.jpg
260KB, 2048x1536px
My doggo called Harris.
Let's see yours!
>>
>>2304827
Why do you buy these abominations
>>
File: fm_3.jpg (2MB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
fm_3.jpg
2MB, 2048x2048px
>>2304840
some flower mantis
>>
>>2304827
You're disgusting
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2268x2087px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2268x2087px
>>2304826
Welcome to the bichir club
>>
>>2304827
Enjoy the tiger barbs nipping the fuck out of your fish fins!
>>
>>2304756
Next feeding I will.
>>
File: 20170123_203213.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170123_203213.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2304815
Readily available on ebay, didn't look into formalin, but not against it. I have seen a noticable difference after the PP bath.

1. Definite immediate reduction in parasite numbers.

2. Some brownish injuries on the corys extremeties, tends to clean up after a few hours, you can see it on his nose a few ok photos up when I said srsly.

What gets me is I've been doing this with a microbe lift treatment, I just want them to go!!! Even if I got rid of the corys the fuckers could stay in cyst form I think
>>
>>2304826
Subtle, he's kinda camouflaged did not see him right away!
>>
>>2304845
What size tank you need for that?
>>
>>2304854
the tiger barb i have has been fine so far, we'll see what adding a second one does, but it should be okay as long as they're not over crowded
>>
File: IMG_0648.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0648.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Bumping with my boys. That molly loves crab food ( and shrimp )
>>
File: IMG_20170124_065924.jpg (1MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170124_065924.jpg
1MB, 1944x2592px
7AM bump with the scum eating squad
>>
>>2304862
honestly just curious with your experiences with it

i work with hundreds of thousands of fish on a daily basis and we use formulin
though i recently was doing some reserch into pp for certain reasons
formulin is easy to fuck up and if you fuck up things die quickly

have you noticed any downsides to the pp?other than everything being pink/purple? would like to have some hands on experience with it
>>
>>2304867
Stop liking things I don't like.
>>
>>2304959
I do not have a digital scale so I just kinda eyeball the amount of PP I put in, around 10 mgs per liter, you must use distilled water because PP is an oxidizer and minerals in the water will make it less effective. The cories do not seem alarmed by it they settle at the bottom and don't move much. Upon removing them they have slight brown markings on fin extremeties, and on the nose it clears up after a few hours. The anchor worms are gone from their bodies after the bath but return after a few days, so I'm bathing them daily now till I stop seeing worms.
>>
help

>attempting to black out windows in my bedroom
>cut poster board to fit my windows and ductaped them down good
>a lot of duct tape
>worked great to block all light but it got hot in the afternoon and filled the entire room with obnoxious smelling fumes from the tape
>tore it down immediately and opened the windows to vent out the smell
>aquarium is right next to the window but it is covered with a glass top with a small open space where the hob filter is

should i be worried? there are no fish in there but i was going to be adding fish soon because the cycles done
>>
>>2305012
Buy a backing for the aquarium, only a fraction of light should get into it. Buy algae eating fish and scrub algae when you start to see it grow.

I've had plecos clear all algae in a tank within a week.
>>
>>2305012
Algae grows exponentially to available nutrients. Low nutrients generally means low algae.

IMO, don't worry about it until it becomes a problem. Each tank is different.
>>
>>2305016
>>2305018
There is no algae I'm asking about if the hot duct tape fumes are an issue with it being right next to the tank.
>>
>>2305019
No, generic duct tape just smells like shit. Let your room air out.
>>
>>2305025
Okay just worrying over nothing
It didn't smell that bad until the window got hot.
>>
File: 20170124_133433-1.jpg (3MB, 2566x1949px) Image search: [Google]
20170124_133433-1.jpg
3MB, 2566x1949px
He always hides under or around this one log. Tried making him more caves using a Terra cotta pot but he doesn't seem to like it. Any ideas?

Thinking about taking a large flat piece of shale and using that
>>
>>2305082
If you can get him another buddy. I believe the rope fish enjoy having others around. They even do goofy shit together.
>>
>>2305091
Yeah, that could be it. Would two of them fit in a 55 gallon?
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 443x332px
Has anyone grew a monte carlo carpet in a low tech tank? Ive got ada amazonia soil and looking for a reccomended fertilizer. Also should I stop being a shit cunt and invest in a co2 system?
>>
>>2305164
It's possible (although much harder) to grow a carpet in a low tech setup, but I would not do it with MC. Hairgrass and glosso are your best bets,
I'd highly recommend that co2 if you've got the money though.
>>
>>2305093
Yes. You could do 3.
>>
File: IMAG2790.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG2790.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
hangin out
>>
>>2303291
>natural
Enjoy your muddy water shit basin and aquatic rock on top of sand set up
>>
>>2304827
Post tank, I'm genuinely interested
>>
>>2304893
The crab is is going to die if it doesn't have somewhere to come up out of the water.

>>2304900
>bait
>>
File: 20170124_220722.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170124_220722.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Day 3, basically no worms, but I saw a stray 1-3 in a couple so they all get a bath till I see none
>>
>>2305164
if its a small tank add bio co2. mc is not as iffy as hc, but rather try marsilea hirsuta or glossostigma

If its a bigger tank, you could also try staurogyne repens
>>
File: image.jpg (508KB, 2446x1767px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
508KB, 2446x1767px
This is hotdog. He is the one trying to steal my gars food. I call him hotdog because he is getting fat.
>>
File: image.jpg (1010KB, 2446x2611px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1010KB, 2446x2611px
>>2305470
This is the other tank mate. They get along well. My bichir happens to be extremely active so it's nice to see him often.
>>
Just to let everyone know. Amano shrimp and Mexican Dwarf Crayfish do not mix.
>>
>>2305164
The difference between a planted tank with CO2 and a planted tank without CO2 is like the difference between a Lambo and a Nissan.

The key is you must balance your tank's lighting with the amount of CO2 you're introducing into your tank.
>>
>>2305503
At least they had good nom noms.
>>
I got an aquarium for $5. It's covered in dried algae. What's the best way of getting it clean? I tried using the scraper pad I have but it's going to take A LOT of work with that and I was wondering if there was an easier method.
>>
>>2305524
It just wasn't a good death for the amano shrimp. The crayfish caught him by the amano's tail, then proceeded to eat all the amano's legs and arms before it died.

I fed the amano to my quadicolor.

There is something to be said for my cruelty in putting the amano in a tank with the crayfish. I did it for science.
>>
>>2305594
What else is in the tank ?
>>
>>2305569
Muriatic acid. They have it at Home Depot.
>>
>>2305594
>>2305612

6 CPD, an assortment of cherry shrimp, Fluval Spec 5.
>>
>>2305641
Does the cray not attack the other shrimp ?
>>
>>2305657
The cray attacks anything it can get its hands on, the little shit.

It sits on the top of my amazon sword with his tiny ass claws open.

Fucking badass.
>>
>>2305311
if its not haring them and you have pp to spare treat them 2-3 times even after you dont see anything/
>>
what do i do with all of my mollies

help
>>
>>2305703

Need more info sir.
>>
>>2305684
I dot know who the fuck they keep comming back but I cane home today and saw one of a cory, all getting a bath again. Tbh I'd rather replace the corys than have these worms, and if I cannot eliminate them, I may have to either don't them or let them go free in some local river/stream. Do you think they would be ok?
>>
File: 20170125_203750.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170125_203750.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2305703
1. Donate/trade for credit at LFS
2. Release in to local water, non chlorinated, also check to make sure it is not invasive.
3. Get a predatory fish that your tank can accommodate an don't have to worry about feeding it.
3. Get seperate tank for predator fish, use first to produce feed for predator.
4.get predator fish and film It feeding then upload to youtubes...
5.????????
6.PROFIT!!!
>>
>>2305731
All of these options are stupid except 1 and 3.
>>
>>2305722
>let them go free in some local river/stream. Do you think they would be ok?
Local man introduces parasites to river stream, kills entire ecosystem.

>>2305703
Sell them online for wads of $$$

>>2305659
My young crayfish can catch the most smallest of shrimp, it's absurd.
>>
File: IMG_0147.jpg (1MB, 3024x2815px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0147.jpg
1MB, 3024x2815px
I just got a betta fish and I noticed today his ventral fins look a bit weird. They're both staying on the right side of the body, and appear a bit warped or curled. His other fins all seem fine. It's been about 1 week since I got it, and he's in a 5 gallon tank with a filter, heater, and decorations. Should I be concerned? Sorry for the crappy picture.
>>
Has anyone kept Vampire shrimp? They look pretty cool, but there's not a lot of information about them online, and apparently breeding them is a pain in the ass.
>>
File: what should i do.jpg (57KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
what should i do.jpg
57KB, 960x540px
>>2305749
I know your right but I dont want i kill them anon

What should i do?
>>
>>2304589
I've got two in different tanks. Both have been reasonably well behaved, though they were raised from juvies in their respective tanks. One is in my 75g planted Rainbowfish tank, the other is in my 54g office tank with diamond tetras, kribs, and empire gudgeons. The key is to keep them well fed and avoid having anything in the tank that isn't deep bodied enough to not look like food.

Also, their rep as escape artists is accurate. Glass tops are a must.
>>
>>2305713
I have maybe 15 mollies. Started with 2

>>2305731
I'll probably end up giving them to an LFS, probably should soon since they're pretty close to being fully grown.
Also, I've considered something similar to point 2. I have a small pond in my backyard that was originally used for koi, but since it's somewhat narrow, big ass birds would just sit there and eat them up. As of now there's just a turtle and some frogs that decided to live in it. Would it be safe to dump the mollies in there? The only problem is that there's no filter or anything running right now. There's plenty of vegetation and tadpoles for them to eat as well, so I don't think food is a problem, and since mollies are so much smaller than koi I think they could hide from birbs a lot easier.

>>2305749
If I had hundreds I would do this.
>>
>>2305766
is this stagnant water or what
>>
>>2305764
Mine tried to jump out till I booped him on the behind.
>>
>>2305766
Do you live in a warm all year weather? Or does it get below 70?
>>
Is it possible to abuse a fish bad till its afraid of humans? I want to flick the fuck of out my Oscar till he hides when he sees me.
>>
Adult swim just featured a hillstream loach on a bump ^.^
>>
>>2305778
do not bully the fish pls
>>
File: 2017-01-25 23.16.59.jpg (347KB, 942x529px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-25 23.16.59.jpg
347KB, 942x529px
Dragon bro again, draginfish had his feeding doubled and doing amazing, growing like a weed and very active pretty much all the time. I decided to get a small danio again, since he seemed to enjoy eating the last ones I had. Within an hour, danio had its face pretty much bitten off and he dragged her into his cave. I know some are gonna say I'm cruel, but it seems no different than live feeding a snake. I'm thinking of getting some ghost shrimp for him to nibble on as treats.I also, in the recomendation of another anon, got him some carnivore pellets which were a pain in the ass the find but he seemed to enjoy those much more than the shrimp pellets.
Anyway, I'm proud of my goby so I just kind of bragging. Thanks to all the anon that have given me advice, here's is a pic of my bro before another anon said his blind ass might eat the rocks, although he seemed pretty good at telling apart the rocks from the food, his tank is now ALL sand. Id take a current pic but hes napping right now.
Thanks again to all the anon who helped me with this guy.
>>
>>2305785
He will soon also be a swimming hotdog.
>>
>>2305788
He is a little chubby already, but the motherfucker is INSATIATABLE. I honestly can't wait to see how big he gets. I'm going to pick up a 55 gal next week to REALLY get him at home and happy. I'd love to have him get to a foot or more.
>>
>>2305778
You're a piece of shit
>>
>>2305785
Such small for such a large head!
>>
>>2305778
ignore and move on people
>>
>>2305774
I have a pump that just circulates water, no filter.

>>2305776
South Florida.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2191px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2191px
>>2305800
If you can get a 75. But 55 will do. My hotdog. I would love a dragon goby but not to sure if they'd get along.
>>
File: image.jpg (797KB, 2059x2370px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
797KB, 2059x2370px
>>2305808
>>
>>2305809
What on earth is that ADORABLE hotdog? I wouldn't put a dragonfish with him, I've learned from mine that they are not nearly as nice as websites and pets stores lead you to belive and youre hotdog is so cute I wouldn't risk it.
>>
>>2305811
Your*sorry phoneposting.
>>
>>2305806
Then it will work. Lots of plants help. Get some lily bulbs if you can as it will provide cover also. They sell lily bulbs at petco.
>>
>>2305785
I was rock anon, glad you have him on sand. While it might not happen, it's just not worth the risk and sand looks really nice. I'd recommend it for any anon who has bottom feeders with big mouths desu

Ghost shrimp are great feeders, I buy 100 or so for my four ctenopomas often and they clear them all out in a day or so, the fatties. It's fun to watch.
>>
File: image.jpg (957KB, 2300x2660px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
957KB, 2300x2660px
>>2305811
Just a Senegal bichir. I will be getting him more friends as my 6x2x2 arrives. Current mates are Florida gar and striped Raphael who may get rehomed.
>>
>>2305814
are there any fish you CAN keep with this? or will it try to eat anything.
>>
>>2305816
Pretty much will strike at anything that knocks into it or thinks will fit in its mouth. As they get bigger they get lazier though.
>>
>>2305816
Good rule of thumb I've heard, if it can fit in his mouth, he's gonna eat it, and they have some BIG mouths. I've read green scats can be kept with dragon gobys, though.
>>
>>2305816
Uh they're generally supposed to be peaceful and blind but I think you pulled the asshole so I'd recommend cheap, peaceful and fast fish on the bigger side.

I still believe he is supposed to be brackish but I know there was some dissent on this when I originally posted it so you need to research how you want to keep him.

Freshwater will be easier but he won't be as healthy or live as long.

For specific fish, I recommend mollies since they can be brackish or freshwater, are cheap, come in a nice variety of colors, and breed easily which will keep your goby active with hunting the babies.
>>
File: muh tank.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
muh tank.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2305822
bro what are you ranting about chill, I know nothing of this fish, was just curios, this is me
>>
>>2305822
It depends on the source of the fish. Just like mollies. Mollies raised in brackish conditions then sold to pet stores for freshwater won't last long. But raised and bred in fresh they will do good. Guppies are another species that can also be acclimated all the way to full marine.
>>
>>2305822
Dragonbro here, someone else asked what they can be kept with. I've learned my lesson haha
He's at full brakish now and yes, he's SO much livelier than the half ass brakish he was at. I'm really happy with him now and I'm not bummed he's alone anymore. His colors are improving also. I have all you help full anons to thank too. Thanks for teaching a newbie some very important lessons.
>>
>>2305830
Nigga just get fish that are twice his current size.
>>
>>2305823
Apologies, I thought you were the owner of the goby. Didn't mean to come off as ranting, I've mentioned this before to the owner and was recapping.

>>2305830
I noticed lol
Fantastic, I'm glad you switched him over.
I prefer species tanks myself, they look nicer to me and you get to see behavior that you normally wouldn't in community tanks.

Not to knock community tanks, just my personal you opinion.

As the other anon mentioned, if you take the Molly route, finding already brackish ones would be best, but you can acclimate them to your salinity.

No problem anon, glad to help
>>
>>2305823
My dragonfish MIGHT be kind of a dick, but I've seen other reports on yahoo answers of dragonfish devouring all thier tankmates so I think the rule is yes, they can be chill but like any other animal there are deviants.
I actually recomend these guys though, very pretty and fun to watch. Mine is a badass and drags his kills to his little cave and shakes thier bodies around to eat pieces. Really fun guys. BE WARNED THEY ARE SO FUCKING FAST when they want to be. The other day I lifted the hood to fix a plant he knocked over and the motherfucker ZOOMED up the tank wall and broke air. Scared me to death.
>>
>>2305813
Awesome thanks, luckily I've already got lilies, so I guess I'm good to go.
>>
>>2305837
>>2305839
So what could I get to eat all my corys so i can be done with this anchor worm bullshit

must be ok in a 20 gallon long
>>
>>2305843
Realistically nothing because cities have spines in their fins the will fuck up other fish.

Just give them back to the LFS
>>
>>2305844
Cories

Fucking autocorrect
>>
File: 1483853756228.jpg (192KB, 500x253px) Image search: [Google]
1483853756228.jpg
192KB, 500x253px
>>2305844
im guessing you mean the poisonous spines? makes sense. I guess I will, but how can I make sure new fish wont have the worms as an issue, i assume they are parasitic so they must die off with no host eventually...

I saved this photo from a thread is this a bichir?
>>
>>2305847
Yes bichir. Corys spines aren't poison. Though they can release a poison under extreme stress. Like being eaten.
>>
>>2305847
Nuke the tank. Take all fish out and plants and nuke it with some copper based medicine. Then before returning them do a bunch of water changes. The fish could survive it but not plants or verts.
>>
>>2305847
First time I saw a bichir was from the anon that just posted thiers and I'm in love with these things now. I don't know how I didn't know they existed. Gorgeous.
>>
File: DSL.jpg (70KB, 576x1024px) Image search: [Google]
DSL.jpg
70KB, 576x1024px
>>2305852
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

id rather just not have corys because my minnows and tetras are fine and have NO worm issues.

Also strangely my SA bumblebee cory seems worm free as well. Then again I don't get the best looks at him since he his nocturnal.
>>
>>2305823
Nice tank, what all you got in there?
>>
>>2305857
Some albino corys, neon tetras, white cloud minnows, 1 sa bumblebee you see in one photo up. I also have 1 snail and some amano shrimp to clean the tank bit they are seperate currently because of a treatment. The Tupper war floating in the tank has 18 albino cory fry in it. I started with 20 but 2 Leaked into the main tank, haven't seen them since rip.

Honestly I'm ready to just ditch the neons and corys. I highly reccomend white cloud though beautiful color an dnd the flaring they do to each other is crazy.
>>
>>2305864
I looked up the minnows and I bet they look really nice along side the tetras. Nice setup, nice fish. gg
>>
>>2305753
Had one. Saw it once when I first put it in, then again two months later as a carcass.
>>
>>2305808
nah nah nah, get him a 125
>>
>>2305888
>125 gallons for one fish who's going to end up moving once a day once it's matured
>>
File: Indian_glassy_fish.jpg (20KB, 450x303px) Image search: [Google]
Indian_glassy_fish.jpg
20KB, 450x303px
>>2305764
>bichir, diamond tetras, kribs, and empire gudgeons
Damn comfy, son.

>>2305785
>but it seems no different than live feeding a snake
Not that I really have a problem with you feeding your goby live fish, but just FYI the large majority of experienced snake keepers recommend very strongly against live feeding. Also, ghost shrimp are healthier in general.
If you do decide to get some mollies, they'll give the goby plenty of fry to hunt down and snack on.
If you get mollies and he does well with them, another smallish brackish option to look into for tankmates would be Indian glassy fish. Look for the ones that aren't dyed, though. They get 2.5-3 inches and are deep-bodied, so if he's okay with mollies, he'll be okay with those.
He looks like a bro. Glad you're determined to do well by him.

>>2305892
To be fair, a 125 would be big enough to get some interesting tankmates for a brackish tank, like monos or archerfish.
>>
>>2305896
Ghost shrimp are devoid of nutrients unless you gutload it before feeding.
>>
>>2305470
fatty!! he's so cute.
>>
File: P_20170126_005330_1_p.jpg (815KB, 2304x4096px) Image search: [Google]
P_20170126_005330_1_p.jpg
815KB, 2304x4096px
Is my Betts having fish tuberculosis and curved spine or am I just a third person hypochondriac reading too much fish info?
Is this a normal fish body bend?
>>
>>2305901
1. Why would they be less nutritious than other shrimp?
2. Gutloading is really easy.

Shrimp in general are very low in fat, very high in protein, and a good source of various vitamins and Omega 3s, so I find it really difficult to believe that ghost shrimp are "devoid of nutrients."
>>
>>2305822
lol wat. Get the fuck out of here with your shit knowledge. I've owned them for years. They are omnivores, but prefer a meaty snack. I used to feed my 12" comet goldfish for a treat.
>>
Can someone talk to me about weight distribution?

I have an IKEA dresser that held a 2.5 gallon and a 5 gallon heavy glass aquarium for about 3 years just fine. I took the 5 gal off and put an Aqueon 10-gallon in its place with the 2.5 Minibow to the side.

Right now both of those tanks stretch across the dresser and touch the edges with maybe a half-inch of space. They don't touch the four corners but they go all the way across the length.

If I took the 2.5 off the dresser and had the 10 be sitting in the middle of the dresser with about 7 inches of room on either side of it, would that be better or worse? The dresser is waterproof and hasn't bent in the 3 years it held ~80lbs, but now I'm a little concerned about it holding ~125lbs. I don't want to buy a stand unless I have to though.

Thanks for reading and advice/help in advance.
>>
>>2306076
Dragonbro here, very interested in your large goby, hiw long did it take him to get that big?
I've heard they like pvc pipes but I'm timid about putting one in his tank...is it actually safe??
>>
>>2306046
It's common knowledge they're void of nutrients unless you gut load them.
>>
>>2306127
>because I said so
Cool.
>>
>>2306114
Some of it depends on the way the dresser is put together.
Can you post a picture of it?
>>
>>2306149
Lol are you just going to be a little baby? I'll never get why people get so offended on here when things can easily be looked up.
>>
>>2305012
Me again, I painted my window with flat black acrylic low voc paint and it turned out great, no sunlight coming into my room but it's really fumey in my room, I'm airing it out but it's still bad, I covered my tank with a tarp while i was painting and the day after that, the tarp is gone now but I'm really worrying about fumes getting into my water, I'd hate to have to do a tank tear down but I'm paranoid that my water is toxic now and any fish i add will die.

what do? am I worrying too much?
>>
>>2306149
>>2306153
Kill yourselves. They are low in fat and offer a bit of protein. That's it.
>>
>>2306150
Sure. Here you go. I posted last thread wondering about a 20G and decided against it.

Ignore the warped perspective and weird glow of the 10, it's not actually neon blue IRL.

The dimensions of the dresser are 35"L x 19"W x 28"H.

There's about 1 1/2" of space from the edges of the tanks. I can't put them on the exact edges since there's a tiny dip in the dresser that would make the tanks sit uneven on the surface of the dresser.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (146KB, 605x789px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
146KB, 605x789px
>>2306157
How the fuck did I drop that picture
>>
>>2306154
Whenever I paint around my tank, I usually pour a little paint I the tank k, to acclimate the fish to fumes In the air. Works wonders.
>>
>>2306153
You think too highly of yourself. You aren't offensive, just mildly annoying, like a fly near a picnic, and deserve to be brushed off as such.

It really doesn't take much to set you off, though, does it? I guess that's to be expected here.

It's immediately evident that someone has no idea what they're talking about when they would rather throw generic insults around than back up anything they say. If it's so easy to look it up then do it. You've presumably had at least a couple years of secondary school if you're on this site, so you should know how the burden of proof works.

As long as it's nutritional data analysis against the word of some no name internet yokel, I'm taking the former.
>>
File: 20170126_191605-1.jpg (2MB, 2155x2320px) Image search: [Google]
20170126_191605-1.jpg
2MB, 2155x2320px
I would like to apologize beforehand for shitty image quality.

I went to petco today to buy some fish food and I spotted what I think is a loach, and he looked like his tail area was flattened and bent.

He's struggling to swim and looks in pain. I don't think he'll live very long.
>>
>>2306268
Well apparently I highly offended you if you're taking this much offense to my reply.

"Evident that someone has no idea what they're talking about when they would rather throw generic insults"

I'll go with my original statement. You're an offended baby. You throw some strawmans around and assume you're in the right. I see through what you're doing. Maybe a few more years in secondary school would help you out a bit more.
>>
>>2306268
>should be brushed off like a fly
But yet here you are. Feeding on the bait.
>>
File: 20170126_191556-1.jpg (3MB, 2048x2441px) Image search: [Google]
20170126_191556-1.jpg
3MB, 2048x2441px
>>2306270
Another
>>
>>2306277
Red tail or rainbow shark. Looks like shit and stressed.
>>
>>2306278
Looks like a loach to me. But yeah I'm curious what happened to his tail. Could it possibly heal or is he fucked?
>>
>>2306279

Most fish are very resilient if their water quality and diet are good and their internal organs are intact. Many species are capable of regenerating damaged fins, including the tail fin.
>>
>>2306279
At first it did but it's one of them "sharks"
>>
>>2306273
It's this or Candy Crush. I wouldn't be here in the first place if I had much better things to do.

>strawmans
Don't use words if you don't know what they mean. It makes you look stupid.

>>2306275
Yeah, but the thread is at bump limit now, so why not?
>>
>>2306164
haha epic dude xD
>>
>>2306310
So I'm guessing you don't know what a strawman is do you? Retard alert.
>>
>>2306325
>It's immediately evident that someone has no idea what they're talking about when they would rather throw generic insults around than back up anything they say.

Go ahead. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>2306335
I don't think anyone has to prove you wrong when you're this triggered
>>
>>2306325
>>2306335
It's like watching two retard fighting over who's IQ is higher than 5
>>
>>2306337
No one has to prove anything. I'm sure most people here already have their own opinions about you, Ila.
>>
>>2306346
If anyone is ila its you. The way you type and the way you try come off as "superior" and "intelligent"
>>
>>2306345
You say that like it's not amusing.
>>
>>2306348
>"superior"
>"intelligent"
>Ila
Kek
>>
Any way one can get away with using a bowl for like 5 fish? My mother brought me home 5 little goldfish and all I have is my bowl from when I had a betta.
>>
>>2306373
low quality bait
>>
>>2306384

>>2306384

>>2306384
>>
>>2304205
there is an anoxic filtration concept in ponding that starts huge controversies on forums. i don't believe it works but I salute your explanation.
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 73

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.