[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

An idiot friend of mine thought it would be a funny joke to buy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

File: 094.jpg (1MB, 2000x3008px) Image search: [Google]
094.jpg
1MB, 2000x3008px
An idiot friend of mine thought it would be a funny joke to buy me giant sequoia seeds now that I have no garden.

Am I insane for acctually propagating one with the intent of growing is as a bonsai to shove in his face?
>>
>>2296386
Insane? No, sounds like a nice project though I wonder how long it'd actually take to get something that looks good.

If you give up you could always just give them away on craigslist or something.
>>
File: P_20161126_232828_1_p_1.jpg (986KB, 2304x2775px) Image search: [Google]
P_20161126_232828_1_p_1.jpg
986KB, 2304x2775px
>>2296386
>Am I insane
No, but you'll have to be patient.
>>2296393
It will take several years for it to look like a real bonsai.
>>
It won't last long indoors.
>>
File: bonsai-styles.jpg (144KB, 1024x595px)
bonsai-styles.jpg
144KB, 1024x595px
>>2296425
If growing from seed, it will take many more than a few years. It will take a few years to get his root system right, and that is with 0 work on the trunk.

OP, have you done anything with bonsai before? It's not for the light hearted, especially growing from seed. Having a tree you have watched for years is hard to train when you don't really know what you are doing, for instance your first trunk cut will probably be the most anxious time in your life, as if you have no one to talk to them about you pretty much have to find out and guess for yourself when your tree is ready to be cut and to grow the trunk out.

Imagine growing a tree from seed for 5 years, hoping it takes watching it fail then come back only to kill it when you try cut the trunk or repot it.

I highly, highly recommend getting into the exciting field of Bonsai, but do not do what I did and start with plants form seed, it's too hard to train them as you are too invested in them. If you want to do bonsai go buy a bonsai book, go to your local plant store and buy trees which could fit into bonsai plans, when you know what you are doing, go from seed.

From a quick google, giant seqoiua's grow a few feet per year, that's normal tree, Bonsais are about stunted growth, it will not grow nearly that fast.

tl;dr growing bonsai from seed is a life long endeavour.
Also, Bonsai is a style, not just a tree in a small pot. You can 'do it wrong'.

I made a thread about chopping the trunk of my wisteria the other day, it finally made 3 new sprouts, I've had that for around 5 years and from seed, it was a very tedious few days. I have no clue how I am going to design my tree though.
>>
>>2296386
Just find somewhere to plant them, you would be surprised how hardy they are.
>source growing California redwoods in Cincinnati Ohio.
>>
>>2296795
>wisteria
sounds lovely anon
>>
File: 1483654769562.jpg (1MB, 2992x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1483654769562.jpg
1MB, 2992x2000px
>>2296821
Pic is the cut trunk with the top of it next to it. With my fig and desert roses.
>>
>>2296795
I'm already in the process of germinating 6 seeds so I guess I'm in for the long haul, and I have bugger all else to do with the seeds. that said I have done some research, I know for growing bonsai i know the potting mix for conifers is a 33/33/33 mix of lava rock pumice and that crusher fired pottery and you need to change it every 2 or so years because the pottery degrades and stops aerating the soil.

the cutting was the only thing I was nervous about but the seeds are going to be in my fridge for at least another 2 weeks and that's if they even germinate, so I figured cross that bridge when I come to it. As for style I just wanted a miniature looking Giant Sequoia if you have any tips for growing it as such when the time comes?
>>
Growing bonsai from a pot is a bad idea, the best bonsai are grown outdoors in the ground for several years and then trimmed and repotted.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.