[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Non-cratefags, how do you do it? How the fuck can you leave your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

File: wtf.jpg (54KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
54KB, 500x334px
Non-cratefags, how do you do it? How the fuck can you leave your dog alone for long periods of time and not come home to piss and shit everywhere or something nice ripped to shreds?
I was on my bed using my computer and thought it was okay to let my 7 month old puppy roam the basement, figuring he could be trusted enough.
After about an hour I go upstairs to get something to drink and it reeks of shit.
EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.

I can't leave him alone an hour, even with me in the house. How the fuck do people leave their pets alone for long periods of time. Without crating him I wouldn't be able to own a pet. I'd have given up a long time ago.
>>
Potty train your dog op holy shit it's not that hard.
Take it out every 1-2 hours depending on age to do what it needs and continue doing that all day until it's bed time.
It'll get the idea and stop shitting in the house.
>>
I've never raised from a puppy but I've also never crated. I adopted my current dog at 2, quickly potty trained him, and keep him properly stimulated when I am home with 2 walks a day and sporadic play time as well as leaving him with toys and the occasional rawhide when I'm gone. Properly stimulated dogs are good, happy dogs while bored, understimulated are destructive and unhappy.

Try more stimulating toys and games as well as more tiring outside time such as going on runs or long fetch sessions
>>
>>2294196
I have literally been doing that from the very first day we ever brought him home at 8 weeks.
He still goes inside if I'm not watching him 100%
>>
>>2294200
Does he go in specific places or is it just anywhere?
>>
>>2294203
Yes, usually, if it's in the basement it's along a specific wall in the middle.
>>
My dogs always were pretty quick to potty train, but they have accidents sometimes. Usually when they were emotionally distraught due to changes at home (moving, new visitors who are being bothersome). Is there something stressful in the home situation that's making them agitated?

Also, my 16 yo girl dog doesn't like to pee outside when it's cold (live in CA, so if it dips under 60 then I need to watch her). She pees in the area where nobody generally hangs out because dogs typically don't like to pee where social activities happen. When I do more activities in those areas, she doesn't pee there.

Also consider your dog might have a bladder problem if it seems like he or she can't hold it in. Get a vet check just to be sure.
>>
>>2294208
They probably see that as a bathroom spot. Clean it with an enzyme cleaner and keep them from that spot.

Take them out once every couple of hours and don't bring them in again until they have peed and pooped. Praise going outside like crazy and reward them with their favorite thing like their favorite toy or treat immediately. Getting them to go outside is where the walk comes in since walking makes you need to go more and they can go while out. How often do you walk it?
>>
>>2294195
We have a doggy door so my dog lets himself out to the yard as he pleases to go to the bathroom. We never really had to formally potty train him, he picked up on it himself. He prefers to stay indoors the majority of the time though.
>>
>>2294195
>How the fuck can you leave your dog alone for long periods of time and not come home to piss and shit everywhere or something nice ripped to shreds?
better question: How can you not?

I mean, is this an american thing? Because I know literally NOONE who uses a crate.
>>
>>2294321
As an American I can say that I've never even heard of crate training until I started frequenting /an/. No one I know irl does it and their dogs don't wreck their house.
>>
>>2294246
It's important to only provide the dog treats if you actually watch them successfully use the bathroom outside. If they don't go after awhile, bring them back in, but do not give them a treat. Eventually, they will look forward to going outside to use the bathroom knowing it results in a reward. They will also realize they are being taken outside specifically to use the bathroom.
>>2294242
My grandmother's dog couldn't help it so if she left the house without her dog, she would contain it in the kitchen with a blanket and toys set up until she came back. She'd also leave a radio playing on a channel with human voices because it comforted her dog and relieved anxiety.
>>
>>2294322
The only person I knew with a crate trained dog never contained their dog in a crate when they were away from the house. They had a male wolf hybrid that was prone to aggression toward strangers so it was crate trained to avoid accidents. They kept the crate near the door so they could easily tell their dog to enter his crate before answering when people knocked or friends showed up with unfamiliar people. This was a huge crate with a water dispenser, blankets, and toys.
>>
>>2294324
An actual wolf hybrid or some husky mix that they called a wolf? Asking because it's very rare for someone to have an actual wolf hybrid without it just being a large dog.
>>
>>2294246
And by the way anon, I wasn't correcting you, I was just elaborating on the point because sometimes it is just unfeasible to wait 30 minutes or longer for an animal to potty.
>>
>>2294325
No, it was an actual wolf hybrid taken by animal control from a breeding situation. It was wolf/German Shepard which is not the best mix by far. My family adopted a Samoyed/wolf female taken by the shelter from an identical situation up North, but fortunately my family dog didn't display such aggressive behavior. They are lovely animals, but I wish people didn't purposely breed them since most end up culled considering they are straight up illegal in many states (rabies vaccine is an issue). In fact, my current state I live in has a sanctuary because I now live in a kill state for those sorts of animals. I'm hoping to volunteer there one summer.
>>
And if anyone is wondering, in those situations the wolf parent is almost always euthanized unless someone with the proper wildlife license and facilities can care for it. So you get one dead wolf, possible killed puppies/adult hybrids depending on state laws, and hybrids that are very hard to adopt and generally end up awaiting death row in shelters.
>>
Worse too is when you find such hybrids in shelters, they come with strong warning so most people are actually talked out of adopting them. My family dog was 3 days away from her kill date as the shelter told us and even then, the shelter tried talking us out of her adoption.
>>
>>2294195
lol kick it in the dick and set his bed on fire lol
>>
>>2294195
Fucking train your dog you inhuman piece of shit.
>>
Dogs are crated at night to sleep, are outside when we arent home with a kennel and straw to sleep on (they destroy bedding) and are inside when we are home with no accidents.

You need to be consistent with toilet training, my girlfriend and I woke up every 2 hrs to take the puppies to the toilet at night aswell as every hour during the day when we were home.

I personally do not agree with crating any longer than 8hrs in a 24hr period.
>>
my dog is crate trained but i don't crate him, he just sleeps in my bedroom while i'm out
>>
>>2294322
It's very helpful when you got a new adult dog that has bad habits, and can't be trusted alone right off the bat. But most people use crates because they got a puppy and don't actually have the time or patience for a puppy.
>>
Sounds like you don't know what crate training actually is, or even regular training for that matter

I have two dogs, one of them is crate trained but I don't use it anytime he's alone. The only times I actually keep him closed in it is to calm him down when he's getting too riled up or to put him when he gets over excited about new visitors coming over. Overwise it's more just like a dog bed with a door if needed. If you have crate trained properly, you shouldn't need to crate them anytime they're alone

My other dog pretty old and is crated when I'm gone and during the night, but that's because he's 100% blind and probably 50% deaf. He will wander around the house bumping into stuff and getting stuck in random corners until someone shows him where to go. It's a lot less stressful for him to just chill in the crate and sleep or chew a kong
>>
>>2294195
Trained him to shit in a bag I made for him so he doesn't fuck shit up
Train your dog more anon
>>
>>2294328
sorry but those are just huskies
>>
Why are you getting dog advice from here of all places?
>>
I can't even remember. My dogs are 5 and 9, now, and they just free roam downstairs. They aren't allowed upstairs because that's where the cats are. I can leave them for 4 or 5 hours and not come home to destroyed furniture or piss and shit everywhere. They sleep in my room overnight, loose, and don't wreck the place, even though they'll be in there for 10 hours or so.

That said, if they've got to be alone longer, they've got a safe ourdoor run with mesh on the ground to prevent digging, high fences, comfortable kennels, a raised deck area, and a trampoline bed. If everyone is going to be out for 6+ hours, they go there with a couple of bowls of fresh water.

You've got a really young dog, OP, and it sounds like it doesn't actually comprehend house-training yet. Work on it, and do not leave it unsupervised inside, ever. Every time it messes inside, roll up a newspaper and hit yourself in the face with it. You were not supervising that puppy, you did not give it the appropriate pottying opportunities outside, it's your fault.
>>
>>2294512
?
>>
Please tell me you aren't purposely trying to seek out a wolf hybrid... are you anon? If so, please don't. Those animals don't have happy lives. require special care, endanger local wildlife, and you should never support such breeding. You interest concerns me that you may be trying to seek one out.
>>
toilet train it retard. keeping a dog in a crate all day is retarded
>>
>>2294591
>Every time it messes inside, roll up a newspaper and hit yourself in the face with it. You were not supervising that puppy, you did not give it the appropriate pottying opportunities outside, it's your fault.
t h i s
b
h

Why do only like 5% of puppy owners understand this
>>
I crated my dog until she was about 1.5. Never had any problems. I think your dog is just too young. I never wanted to set my dog up for failure by allowing access to trash or anything so we were slow to uncrate her.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.