[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

tfw it's impossible to get US native crayfish species in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: 7672777688_d0a1389282_b.jpg (427KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
7672777688_d0a1389282_b.jpg
427KB, 1024x680px
tfw it's impossible to get US native crayfish species in Canada without ordering them from breeders in China who massively overprice them.

I really wanted these cambarus ludovicianus but I'm not paying 450 USD + 100 USD for shipping.
>>
just go catch one
>>
>>2293619

They don't live in Canada, or I would.
>>
>>2293619
literally drive to the south and stick your hand in the water. You will come up with a crawdad.
>>
>>2293698

These are not your average crayfish.
>>
>>2293757
In that case a high price tag seems normal.
Stop being a fag
>>
>>2293615

Where are they in the US? I can get you some if they're nearby. Much cheaper. Package will be labeled as dragon dildos so they won't search it.
>>
>find american
>have him ship you some
How hard is that? We're neighbors.
>>
File: IMG_2728.jpg (2MB, 3001x3910px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2728.jpg
2MB, 3001x3910px
>>2293615
>tfw I caught one of these cuties during the summer
I dunno what to tell you OP. Sometimes they turn up in massive crawfish shipments if you know anyone that's able to check and rescue one for you.

They burrow deeper than I can dig and almost never come topside. Supposedly they also wander around at night after a rain but, while their burrows are everywhere, I've not had luck catching one in the act.

For the one I caught, I just happened to have a piece of plywood over her burrow and checked things out after a rain while looking for worms. She had dug tunnels against the wood and was exposed.
>>
>>2294037
>>2294043

I'd love that but unfortunately they'd never survive being held in customs. It's actually not illegal to have them sent over the border, but they'll die before they arrive because customs will sit on them for a week.

>>2294035

They're not an uncommon species in the US, it's just because of the retarded customs practice that makes them difficult to acquire in Canada. See my reply above.

>>2294072

I'm envious. Unfortunately not a lot of crayfish are shipped up here, and the ones that are are usually the mass farmed Chinese ones for restaurants, so not much chance of a ludo showing up there.

I think I'm just gonna have to organize a road trip down to the states and see if I can harvest my own. It sucks, but slow customs processing makes it a necessity.
>>
>>2293615
I love crayfishes.
Crayfishes are cute.
>>
File: 1332304728705.jpg (41KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1332304728705.jpg
41KB, 400x400px
What region of the US are these from? I take it you've kept crawdads before. I've kept a shit ton, but not this particular species. You could rig up a fairly simple and portable holding tank to transport if you or someone else where to get one for you in the US. Keep them a little cold and use one of the battery powered bubblers.
>tfw no one takes your crawdad keeping hobbies seriously and always jokes about eating them
>>
>>2294078
>It sucks, but slow customs processing makes it a necessity.

Can you just meet over the border or something? I don't think they have crayfish sniffing dogs.
>>
Oh man, we had some flash floods and walking home from work, this poor little guy was splashing about in a pavement puddle. He got separated from the river nearby during the flood. Real pretty, I've never seen one that was dark blue before. I rescued him and put him back near the river bank. He seemed real happy, scuttled into the water immediately, and floated away. I went and washed my hands.
>>
>>2295204
Crawdads are an under appreciated animal. Many species are colorful and, despite being slow moving, can be fun to watch. Some build chimneys out of mud, some fight over cracks in rocks, they crawl around all cool, and they have cute big eyes.
>>
>>2295202

It's not a problem to move them over the border yourself, there's no laws preventing it. The problem is that if you try to ship them over the border, customs will hang onto them until they die.

I'm seriously considering planning a roadtrip to the US and picking them up myself. There is a niche market up here for them, but crayfish are my hobby and I have some personal favourites from the US I'd like to get without spending over 500 USD on.

>>2295189

The official estimated range of the species on the IUCN redlist says: United States (Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas)

And I take your crawdad keeping hobbies seriously anon, and I know tfw people make jokes about eating them.

Crays are friends not food.
>>
File: Ghost-Crayfish_1024x1024.jpg (63KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
Ghost-Crayfish_1024x1024.jpg
63KB, 500x334px
>>2295253

Whenever I want to show people how cool crayfish can be, I show them a picture of procambarus clarkii ghosts. I have a male/female couple I special ordered from Thailand that I'm trying to breed, but still waiting on the female to accept the male.
>>
>>2293615
Please do not bring more invasive species to Canada
>>
>>2295315

Crayfish hobbyists aren't the problem with invasive species in Canada. The ones we do have a problem with (rusty crayfish in particular) were brought here and used as fishing bait.
>>
>>2295310
Lived in Virginia, you can sure as hell add that to the list, its pretty far north too.
>>
>>2295421

Are you sure the ones you encountered in Virginia were cambarus ludovicianus, and not cambarus diogenes? They're almost identical save for the coloration, and diogenes has a much wider distribution.

I wouldn't be surprised if ludovicianus were in Virginia though, as they could probably live just about anywhere diogenes lives too.
>>
>>2295310
I'll meet you outside of Canada with crayfish if you bring me horse meat. I don't have a passport.
>>
I live in virginia near potomac and shenandoah rivers, i cant confirm the presence of this species but i could probably catch you some if you told me how
>>
>>2295761

I actually wouldn't know how to tell you to catch them, I've never encountered them locally.
>>2294072 says they burrow deep and almost never surface.
>>
>>2295761
oh shit senpai, what down do you live in?
>>
>>2294072
Do all crawdads burrow or only certain kinds?
There is an absolute fuckton of them that dig holes in my yard and on the side of the road.
>>
>>2295768
That was the first and only cray I've ever caught with racing stripes. I honestly don't know what to suggest.
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/closed.cgi?view_archive_item&fwinverts1401477609
That guy might have advice.

Otherwise, maybe find a nice field full of chimneys after a rain during the spring at night and hope the species you want is crawling around.
Since they have side tunnels, trying to dig seems pointless and bait on a string didn't work for me. I've never caught any in traps either, but that might just be my luck.

>>2295946
Crawfish fall into three categories:
Ones that only ever burrow simple holes when their water hole/stream dries up, don't even make chimneys. These are the types people usually eat.

Ones that spend most of the year in various types of burrows and leave them when wet season comes along, usually the ones along ditches.

Lastly, the kind that spends its whole life in complex burrows and only comes up to mate and find food. This is the category that ludo falls in.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.