[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is it like owning goats? I'd like to own some one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 1399852869151.jpg (80KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1399852869151.jpg
80KB, 960x720px
What is it like owning goats?

I'd like to own some one day but it seems like a big investment. I'd like milk and cheese.

Is goat's milk good? The cheese is dank but I don't think I've actually had the cheese...
>>
Bruddy good. Fun, entertaining animals but they're escape artists.
Also be prepared for a high mortality rate especially if you're just picking up random goats. My cousin goes through goats and sheep like tissues because she picks up any she finds. Mostly the youngins. Any full grown adults(2+ years) have been fine but she has shit luck with the younger ones even though they're passed weaning. They do go to the vet for any and all treatment they need, but she's had about five die this year.

Its not just her but in general you find out that you WILL come across health problems. Stillborns are also common. With that said I'm not familiar with dairy goats, though. But goat milk is fucking amazing. Way better than cow milk and doesn't leave that slimy aftertaste cow milk does.
>>
>>2292916
Be careful of mudslimes
>>
>>2292916
Very dumb and smelly animals. They are also usually mean and destructive. No thanks
>>
>>2292916
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlYlNF30bVg
>>
I love my goat and he is awesome, but any time someone says they want a goat I tell them 'no you really don't' because of how much of a pain they are. Mine was an inside/outside goat when he was little until he ate a hole through the kitchen wall. Now he's outside only. We had to goat-proof the house and let me tell you...that's nearly impossible. No experience with dairy goats but I've heard they're a lot more work than others. They make a huge mess out of everything. Most of them are nearly impossible to keep fenced in. They shit a lot...I mean A LOT. We have to shovel his yard and it's a fairly large area. They are usually total jerks, but I'm highly against disbudding. They can be trained but you have to be extremely diligent and way more stubborn than them. It's a huge commitment. He's hands down the most challenging pet I've ever had. And from what I understand he's actually pretty damn well behaved compared to most goats. Cats and dogs don't even come close. Just do your research if you are seriously considering getting goats.
>>
File: merino.jpg (123KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
merino.jpg
123KB, 600x450px
>>2292916
Goats are god's way of punishing us

>smell like rancid piss and fur (especially the male goats)
>will eat everything and anyone you hold dear
>they are literally impossible to contain as they will either climb over or eat their enclosure
>as a result, you will have sticky tiny shit pellets cover your property like 11th plague of Egypt
>billy goats will use your shins as headbutt practice until you decide to turn them into curry
>on a similar note, goat meat is infinitely subpar compared to lamb
>if you have a female goat that's giving milk, you have to milk it every day and make sure you get all the milk out of it or it will slowly stop producing any
>goat milk will always smell like billy goat testicles no matter how much you lie to yourself about it

goat's cheese is kinda ok I suppose, but it's not enough to justify owning an actual animal.
get a sheep instead, they taste better and they are easier to contain/look after. also:
>get pic related
>learn how to shear it
>infinite profits
>>
>>2293945
As most people have already said, they are stubborn. They also shit alot, and are sometimes pretty loud, depending on the breed. My family has had at least 2 nubians in a 2 acre pasture for 13 years. We milk them, breed them, eat, sell or keep the kids. The most we have had at a time was 10 I think, mostly kids after birthing season. We've never had much issue with escapes, just make sure they are content with their territory. If you plan on milking yours, DO NOT KEEP A BUCK ON THE PROPERTY. Take them to a breeder, or rent a buck temporarily. The proximity of adult bucks and pasturization are what makes the dam's milk taste bad. Have a filter procedure and chill your milk immediately, this way it can stay raw, which is healthier and obviously tastier.
>>
>>2294498
Didn't mean to reply to this>>2293945
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.