[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just 'inherited' a 6 month old kitten from my deadbeat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: Screenshot_20170104-011021~01.png (3MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170104-011021~01.png
3MB, 1080x1920px
Just 'inherited' a 6 month old kitten from my deadbeat slutbag older sister. Pic related.

Can any kind anon recommend me a good brand of kitty food for him? I understand that most store brands are liquid shit made from government subsidized corn and artificial flavoring.

Also should I feed him wet or dry food (or both)?

And how soon should I get him neutered?
>>
Orijen Cat & Kitten Grain-Free Dry Cat Food
Wet food is more of a reward than an everyday meal.
5 months is a good time to get his balls cut, since vets usually charge in consideration of your cat's weight and age.
>>
Look for meat as the top ingredient.

Avoid:

"By-product"
Corn
Wheat
"Animal" product (look for "chicken meat" rather than "animal meat". Companies can really cut corners by being vague about the ingredients.)

A good middle ground is items that use oat, sweet potato, or rice as filler if you want something budget friendly. If you have the big bucks, buy the stuff that is basically just a pile of meat as the ingredients.

Tractor Supply Co is a good place to buy from.
>>
I use Purina pro plan but I know someone is going to jump up my ass for it. It's cheap enough and the only thing my cat will eat and not throw up. It's been 5 years so he's 7 now and his fur is exceptionally soft and shiny. Must be doing something right.

My cat drinks enough water but that's rare in cats. Watch your cats water consumption. If he drinks often enough you can just give dry but if he doesn't drink a lot I would include wet in his diet
>>
>>2291928
Congrats on the kitten, he's a cutie! He's at just the right age to be neutered so definitely take him in to the vet as soon as possible, while there you should also consider getting him microchipped if he isn't already.

As for food, I personally feed my cats Blue Buffalo and they love it, it's got a ton of variety. Other good brands are Wellness, Nutro, Natural Balance and Canidae. Avoid stuff like Iams, Purina and other grocery store type brands like the plague, they're terrible. Definitely go with wet food, cats can use all the hydration they can get, which also reminds me that you shouldn't keep his food and water bowls next to each other.

When you bring the little fella to the vet you should get him weighed so you can figure out the proper amount of food to give him, cat obesity is a serious issue that is easier to prevent than cure.
>>
>>2291928
Have you tried hanging it from its hind-legs and cutting open the main artery on the side of its neck?
>>
Try wet food, it's easier for a kitten to swallow, and you might want to try crushed up Tylenol with it too. It helps their digestion from my experience
>>
Tell me more of your slutbag sister...
>>
most of the time it's cheaper to buy whole chickens and turkeys + packs of liver with some key supplements over paying for expensive wet canned food of quality
>>
File: 1473159192647.png (2MB, 1280x1420px) Image search: [Google]
1473159192647.png
2MB, 1280x1420px
>>2291928
>deadbeat slutbag older sister
Okay, you could've just said "I got a cat but I don't know what to feed cats. Halp?"
Instead you're fishing for attention.
So c'mon, tell us.
>>
>>2292019

Fuck OFF. Reeeeeee. Mods won't ban you faggots- why?
>>
I need more info on the sister. Can you provide some pics and a phone number?
>>
>>2292063
Don't worry. These guys always end up hooking up and impregnating a woman who hates them, cheats and then divorces them taking everything and leaving them in a dirty motel room with a noose.
>>
>>2291928
Ideally, cats shouldn't be eating dry food at all. Cats get most of their water from their food, and only drink water once they are actually pretty dehydrated. They also do not chew their food well, dispelling the myth that dry food cleans their teeth and actually can cause slight digestive issue and vomiting. If you have to feed dry food for budget reasons, try to occasionally give wet food when possible and change their water daily or buy a water fountain to encourage drinking. Generally you want to look for ingredients that have meats as the first listed. Avoid brands that advertise using corn, dark greens, and fruit. Cats, unlike dogs, do not need fruits and veggies and they are largely used as filler. Personally I feed ZiwiPeak but it's fucking expensive.

If you want to read more about it;
>http://consciouscat.net/2012/03/22/the-best-food-for-your-cat/

If you want to neuter him, he's definitely old enough, and he may start showing signs of maturity soon. That being said, I've had an unfixed male cat that was roughly 7 years old and he never sprayed, so it might not happen. But I always hear people complain about spraying in unaltered male cats so maybe sooner is better if you can afford it.

>>2292055
While this is true, it's also difficult to get a cat all the nutrients they need feeding raw. It can be very time consuming to do it correctly.

>>2292020
The Tylenol meme is nearly as forced as the sledgehammer meme. But it's getting there
>>
File: 06-medium-rat-1.jpg (107KB, 979x734px) Image search: [Google]
06-medium-rat-1.jpg
107KB, 979x734px
>>2292101
>it's also difficult to get a cat all the nutrients they need feeding raw
What if you just give him whole feeder rats?
>>
>>2291928
Don't give it free food (however always have water available).
Hav scheduled times when you feed your cat and pay attention to portions.

Dry food is filled with carbs which leads to health problems for your cat later. Invest in your cat's diet otherwise have fun when you cat gets diabetes at 8 years old and your paying for insulin and shooting it up everyday.
Ensue you watch your cats weight because it not only leads to health problems, but also behavior problems.

I would feed mostly wet food, and avoid dry food. It's more hydrating and it keeps them fuller. Some brands like merrick, blue bufffolo, and wellness are good.
Ultimately a raw diet is absolutely the best way to go. I don't have a cat and I therefore never had the opportunity to try out this diet. It's much more complicated, but better and tastier for the cat.

One of defenses of dry food is that it's good for oral health...well with a raw diet they would be eating organs and uncooked bones.
There are some nutrients that you would need to add, but you are mostly just giving them meat.
Read up on it:http://www.thecatsite.com/f/65/raw-home-cooked-cat-food
>>
>>2292093
Still more action than you'll ever get.
>>
REEEEEEE KILL ALL CATS REEEEEE TYLENOL REEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! MUH STUDY DONE ON A SMALL ISLAND!!!!!! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
>>
Wet food is better by far unless you're comparing shit-quality canned to some of the higher-quality dry. Some good budget brands are Taste of the Wild and Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul.

Get him neutered ASAP. Behavioral issues aside, the urine of unneutered adult toms is one of the most fucking foul odors you will ever have the misfortune to experience. If your sister is a deadbeat slutbag, he's probably in need of a vet visit anyway to get his shots. FVRCP and rabies are considered "core"; FeLV is recommended if you're going to let him outdoors.
>>
>>2292063
Probably because they are mods :(
>>
>>2292102
Then you come up with another issue; cats not raised on raw prey likely won't eat all of the prey that they need to eat. Generally you need to start that diet very young, at around 9 weeks, with pinkies and go from there. Some cats don't adjust well but if done young and gradually they usually do fine. You'll have to be really careful about where you get your frozen feeders from, and keep in mind once a cat gets used to this diet, it becomes very difficult to switch them to something new.

Assuming they will actually eat all on it though it's a good alternative although jury is out on if it's the best. Cats would eat more than just rats though so you may still need to supplement nutrients based on what you're feeding.
>>
>>2292019

Uninstall your life pham
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.