[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>walking my dog >big dog approaches quickly >it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

>walking my dog
>big dog approaches quickly
>it's neither wagging its tail nor growling, seems neutral to me
Is there a way to tell in these cases whether it's friendly or aggressive? I don't wanna whack with my stick a dog that doesn't deserve it, but I also don't wanna give a dog that could maul mine in seconds a chance to grab him.
>>
File: chimp.reach533[1].jpg (82KB, 533x375px) Image search: [Google]
chimp.reach533[1].jpg
82KB, 533x375px
>>2290644
no.
reach your hand out with palm up.

sometimes animals react to it.
>>
>>2290644

Put yourself between your dog and the new dog, it is important your dog is perceiving you stepping up to the plate and that you calmly have the situation in control. Nobody should have their dog off leash if that is the way it is approaching other dogs. The best place to strike a dog to inflict a quick low fuss correction is to tap the bottom of its jaw so it bites its tongue.

>>2290647

Palm down is less threatening.
>>
>>2290665
>Palm down is less threatening.
I'm not an animal expert, but everything I've read on human body language says otherwise.
>>
>>2290671
Its our weird long fingers and odd range of motion. It dosent translate well to a animal. Those fingers look like claws, that upturned clawed paw looks uncanny vally. So limp wristed offer of your skin to smell and consider is nicer.
>>
>>2290680
Also the more irreparable tendons and veins are in our palm and underforearm and wrist, so.
>>
File: dog_body_language1[1].jpg (119KB, 650x1098px) Image search: [Google]
dog_body_language1[1].jpg
119KB, 650x1098px
>>2290644
>>it's neither wagging its tail nor growling, seems neutral to me
there are more dog body language cues than wagging and growls, you know.

ears, the way the body is curved, the angle of the head, the angle of the tail, the way they breathe, how quickly they move, etc.
>>
>>2290724
Thanks, I was looking for something like this.
>>
>>2290724
Might b tired
>>
>>2290724

It's so weird we domesticated them when a good 60% of their body language is the exact opposite of human language.
>>
>>2290878
What's weird is that dog pick up on body language so well when it's so different from theirs as you said.
>>
>>2291088
The way I learned it is they're gestures of submission and de-escalation. The doggo way of saying "I don't want any trabbu, I'm obviously too tired to fight, see?"
>>
>>2291088

It is a tick that comes out in dogs when they are resisting the urge to air snap/bite.
>>
>>2290934

Don't EVER rely on a dog to respond as you expect to the body language of other dogs - they don't all get it: I own a rescue who establishes threat levels mainly on size and breed:

Yappy-ratdogs to medium terriers: treats as prey and tries to bite the back of their necks to kill them quickly, no warning whatsoever.

Medium terrier to small horse: bark, growl, strain at leash, try his best to estalish dominance/get a fight going.

Any Labrador, especially black ones: go fucking batshit insane KILL KILL KILL!!!

Greyhounds, wolfhounds, deerhounds, afghans, salukis, lurchers: wary friendliness cos they look like him.

Doesn't matter what the other dog's sex or body language, these are his inevitable reactions.

He spent his first 4 years being trained to poach and course amidst other hunting and fighting dogs and only knew beatings from humans and fighting from dogs if he wanted to eat or fuck. When he was no more use he was thrown from a fast-moving vehicle - you don't want to see the after-pics of that unless you are mentally ill.

Gonna take a while to get him right, but he's improving!
>>
>>2291171
dont give up anon u the real mvp
>>
>>2290644
I dont believe in the dog body language stuff that people tell. Its more complex than this. Some dogs behave as they a fucking killers who are now stalking the next prey but thats just how they react to other dogs and if the other dog does not show aggressiveness they are actually playful. Some dogs might run very aggressive to your dog even push him on ground get on top of him growling but they wouldnt bite him unless your dog bites first. And there are many dogs like this who never bite but are fucking assholes just like their owners which when confronted say "he is just dominant/playing/whateva but he doesnt bite". I have a midsize dog (border collie) which can probably live after a bite so i kinda have the luxury to give the benefit of the doubt in most cases but i always get infront of him when i see a dog i dont like. If the dog does not slow down seeing me infront i grab him (or i kick him if the situation is obvious that he is in for a fight). Keeping in mind of course that i think i can see the difference between a very playful dog and a fucking beast.
BTW in your picture the one in the middle looks like he is just about to pick a fight with the frenchy.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.