[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else against euthanasia? Animals try so hard to live

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 6

File: Caucasian-Ovcharka-Photos.jpg (235KB, 736x860px) Image search: [Google]
Caucasian-Ovcharka-Photos.jpg
235KB, 736x860px
Anyone else against euthanasia?

Animals try so hard to live even in the worst situations, even self mutilating if they must.

Honestly if pets could talk I doubt they'd choose euthanasia as only humans have enough cowardice to accept death.
>>
>>2290129

I absolutely love dogs but I still believe they are an animal and it would be better to put them down then put them at the mercy of tumblrinas and positive only training at animal shelters only to be adopted by idiots playing the victim vicariously through their animals.

>"he is a rescue dog"
>>
Yes! I'm glad somebody finally understands. Don't you just love letting your pets die the natural way? Just like their wild ancestors, my dogs will get to die slowly and painfully. If they're lucky, they'll get to bleed to death or starve. Just like nature intended!
>>
>>2290139
You're humanizing your pet too much.

Animals do not wish for death no matter what.
>>
File: 1401318435028.png (35KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1401318435028.png
35KB, 625x626px
Animals will follow instincts that lead them to do all sorts of shit they shouldn't, like eat toxic substances that will kill them, or roam through traffic, or fuck endlessly to produce massive amounts of babies there aren't homes for. It's our job as caretakers to decide which of these instincts are beneficial to the welfare of the animal or species and which should be curbed.

Animals are incapable of making judgement calls about their own quality of life. A cat has no grasp of what advanced stomach cancer is and the suffering it entails, nor its own slim-to-none chance of survival. There comes a point when suffering, or the propensity for further suffering, outweighs the animal's will or "want" to survive.

Cowardice is the refusal to make tough calls for the greater good. The right path isn't always the easiest one, chief.
>>
>>2290142
>not wanting animals to suffer is humanizing them
Suffering, of course, is something only us humans are capable of. That's why I'd never kill my dog. Slow, agonizing death, just as nature intended for my wonderful pups.
>>
Yeah, nah.
My parents didn't believe in vet care. They said if an animal isn't strong enough to get by on its own it didn't deserve to live.
I watched a lot of pets die slow, agonising deaths because of it.
My first ever cat got its foot stuck in a fox trap and he chewed his paw off to get free ( we discovered trap for several weeks after he came home paw less). He lived for around two months after that. His leg was constantly dripping pus. After the first week he couldn't stand up anymore and just layed under the bed covered in shit and pus. My mother threw him outside under a tree and just left food and water by him. Somehow he survived another month. It was also the middle of winter so I don't know if it was the infection or the cold that finally killed him.

I begged them to put him down but they said he wasn't worth the money. Seriously, anyone who puts animals through that for any reason can go fuck themselves with a razorblade.
>>
>>2290166
>My parents don't believe in vet care
I think I would've disowned myself after calling the ASPCA on them. That's fucking awful, anon. Why do old people suck so much?
>>
>>2290166
>My parents didn't believe in vet care.
Farmfucks? Farmers seem to have this attitude a lot, especially towards cats.
>>
>>2290168
This happened when I was around 13 so I didn't really have much say in the matter. My mother died when I was 16 for the same reason, she was sick and refused treatment til the very end. I left home not long after and haven't contacted my father since. I'm still bitter enough to hope he dies as painfully and alone as my cat did.
>>
>>2290169
EVERYONE has that attitude towards cats, though. The care standards in the united states basically boil down to "throw it outside & hope it doesn't freeze to death, get shot, mauled, or poisoned." My parents have fucking pet insurance for their dogs, but I had to force them to take our cat to the vet after it was poisoned.
>>
>>2290166
>>2290170
Sorry anon. I know you know this, but what happened to that cat wasn't your fault. He deserved better.
>>
>>2290172
>>2290166
Your parents are an inspiration
>>
>>2290166
>I watched a lot of pets die slow, agonising deaths because of it.

Just curious, got more stories? Your parents sound like scum.
>>
>>2290170
Man, that's shit. Hope your life is looking up now, bud. Sounds like you're already doing better than either of them ever did.
>>
>>2290129
I've put down a lot of my dogs anon, one that bit a human unprovoked, one that got brain damage and couldn't walk in a straight line and kept losing weight despite eating more food then normal. The other one was of old age, he was blind, couldn't walk anymore and had cancer. I guess I could of let two of the three to die naturally but that didn't seem right.
>>
>>2290179
None as bad as that. My childhood dog comes a close second though. He was much older than me, he lived to be around 19. Pretty good considering he had never gotten any medical care. In his last six month he went blind, deaf and couldn't walk on a flat surface without falling over. One day while grooming him I found a wound under his front leg filled with maggots. My mother helped me pick them out and flush the wound but after that he started howling and didn't stop. He wailed for about 12 hours before going silent. My parents wouldn't let me go near him because they were convinced he'd bite me in his confusion.

I had a 8 month old kitten die from poisoning. They said if the cat was stupid enough to eat rat poison they'd left on the table it deserved to die.

When I was 7-8 I had two pet mice. I'd put them in the sunlight in the mornings and move them to the cool part of the room before I left for school.
One day I forgot and my parents left the cage in the sun to teach me a lesson. I came home and found them both dead in their water bowl.
>>
>>2290190
Holy fuck
>>
>>2290190
wow, your parents are really shitty people
>>
>>2290190
Are your parents psychos?
>>
>>2290129

I guess pets would choose to live, wouldn't we all, but at some point a life of pain and suffering is no longer 'living.' Also my dog would choose to eat shit that would kill him if I'd let him, so it's not like pets have the best decision making skills in the first place.
>>
>>2290129
SO FLOPPY DOG EARS!!!!!
>>
Animals aren't really able to weigh up the alternatives though. Your dog doesn't understand what cancer is and what his prognosis is and what his options are or what euthanasia even is. He doesn't know that he is 8 years old and his breed typically live for 10 years, so he can't look at a calendar and feel cheated. He is very likely unable to put himself into your point of view and realise that this entity, which is himself, was only born eight years ago and will one day die and the world will go on without him. This leaves your dog living in the moment, which sucks for him when the moment is painful and distressing and he doesn't understand why he hurts and why he can't do normal things and he can't rationalise or deal with it by thinking about how the alternative is euthanasia and the end of his existence.

So yeah, do what you think is best for your pet, but your dog doesn't go on living when in pain because animals are majestic beings who rejects the cowardly human notion of going gently into that good night. Your pet just doesn't have a fucking clue what euthanasia is or what's happening to him, and there is no way to explain or justify it.
>>
>>2290129

My inlaws had a dachshund that grew massive tumors all over his body as he got old. They'd drag on the floor and rip open, leaving him in constant pain that he couldn't escape from. He couldn't run or jump and was blind. He also couldn't chew his food and required us to syringe-feed him. If you're seriously saying that the inlaws were in the right by letting him continue like that then you're fucking delusional.
>>
>>2291089
Can't you think of more original b8?
>>
>>2290190
well, we can only hope they both end up in hell
>>
>>2290169
Probably because they breed like rabbits and death is pretty normal for kittens. That being said, there's no reason to not put them out of their misery with kindness. If you live out in the country, you have the luxury of putting them down quickly with a gun - and a well placed shot WILL kill them very quickly.
>>
>>2290129
You just know she's fucking that dog.
>>
>>2290129
I fucking love slowly dying of cancer instead of being euthanized. Are you by any chance vegan OP?
>>
>>2292446

I know you're being sarcastic but a lot of people would still not choose to get euthanized even if they were dying of cancer.
>>
>>2290129
As someone who often works around dying humans, and who has seen all degrees of suffering, I am for euthanasia for both animals and humans. When I see patients with NG tubes, Peg Tubes, tached, unable to move/communicate, and with stage 4 bedsores revealing their spinal cords I just don't get why we are keeping them alive. Why cant we give them this option? Why do we need to fight all the time?

If an animal isn't eating any more then it's lost its will to live. If it's vomiting up everything it eats then how will it survive? If an animal can't walk any more; what it's quality of life like?
Animals in those situations will die painful deaths without intervention.

I do think there are pet owners who resort to euthanasia to quickly. If you can afford a surgery, and the pay off will result in a higher quality of life, then do it. If your animal has a terminal illness but is currently "OK" (eating, moving, able to make needs known, etc.) then it doesn't need to be put down.

I also think some (most) pet owners need to take better general care of their pets to prevent unneeded suffering and misery. Simply by maintaining your pets ideal weight will prevent tons of diseases.

I also feel pain medications for animals should be prescribed more frequently. Especially for animals with terminal illnesses. I also feel vets should come to your home to deliver the shot if possible. The vet office is an extremely scary and stressful place for most animals. I had to put one of my cats down due to end stage renal failure and it was very traumatizing to see her final moments in absolute fear at the vets office.

If any of my animals need to die I want it to be where they are comfortable in my home. I hope to find a vet that would be willing to do that. Overall, I am very for euthanasia.
>>
>>2290170
>My mother died when I was 16 for the same reason, she was sick and refused treatment til the very end

I can actually respect the fact she stuck by her ideals, even when facing death herself
>>
>>2292450
I'm not being sarcastic.
>>
>>2290132
>"I shock my dog because I feel bad about my micropenis"
>>
>>2290190
>I found a wound under his front leg filled with maggots.
I physically reacted to this and I need to put my mind on somethign else to heal
>>
>>2292465
>I just don't get why we are keeping them alive. Why cant we give them this option? Why do we need to fight all the time?

You already know the answer.
Money.
The medical industry makes it's living off of people laying there as long as possible like that.
>>
>I would rather have my dying pet experience a slow scary agonizing death instead of them just falling asleep and not waking up
>>
>>2293012
Mmmm..noooo not always. I've seen more often it's the family members that are unwilling to let go. Surprisingly it's often the religious types.
>>
>>2293018
Yeah but we are talking about euthanasia not just letting someone naturally die.
And the money thing depends on how many beds are filled.
Of course the families and the patients themselves have their wishes but a place like a nursing home getting thousands of dollars a month for the person to lay there is always going to be on the keep them alive side especially if they aren't at bed capacity.
They keep the people with no family going as long as possible and want to know if they died before or after midnight so they can charge for another day if they died at 00:25.
>>
>>2293027
Yeah I don't like nursing homes either, but they are unavoidable because it's just not ethical to throw people out on the streets to die. What you're talking about, people just laying there to die, are people that can't take care themselves and have family that is unable or unwilling to help them. So they drop them off at a nursing home.
If that person (or their family) choices to be on hospice (no treatment, only med for comfort) the nursing home doctor isn't going to send the patient for chemo treatments, and "keep them alive as long as possible $$$". It then just becomes a waiting game for the person to die.

Then again their are those special cases with no family and they have these court appointed POA, but that's not the usual.
>>
>>2290129
I'm sure they're better off. Imagine having a constant boner and not being to do anything with it, its torture
>>
>>2290129
Animals commit suicide.
>>
File: 1430081417440.jpg (32KB, 283x424px) Image search: [Google]
1430081417440.jpg
32KB, 283x424px
Why do people think the experience of dying is better than living every day in agony? What reasoning is this based off of?
>>
>>2293308
No brain signals, no pain. Unless you're a religious moron and think the "soul" can feel pain
>>
>>2290129
As long as it reproduces it doesnt matter, animals are not human they literally dont give a shit about living beyond some uncontrollable instinct inside of their noggins.

Dogs dont know that a car will kill them because they are too stupid to connect car hitting them with death, they avoid cars because they think cars are actually animals.
>>
>>2293733
But who says the transition from life to death isn't the most painful thing you'll ever experience?
>>
>>2293780
Because we are talking about euthanasia here. It's very quick and no different than being put under anesthesia, only you never wake up. The heart doesn't stop until the animal is already unconscious. If there is any pain being registered, it only lasts a few seconds.
>>
Dunno man I've been so sick all I could think of was I wished the pain to stop.
Sometimes only death can ease pain.
>>
>>2290166
Your parents sound like angry rednecks that most edgy cunts on /an/ would worship.

That or Mexicans.
>>
>>2292482
>I can respect the fact that she was okay with dying and leaving a 16 year old kid to fend for himself because medicine is a Jewish hoax
>>
>>2290166
Your parents are retarded...well since we're wild animals how about you do the same to them? Your father: "Oh help me my arm is bleeding!" And you say: "No way father you must survive on your own, step it up!"
>>
Would you put down a beloved grandparent if they were in constant suffering and you knew it wasn't going to get better?

I don't see how putting down a pet is any better, besides the fact that we've been conditioned to see human life as more valuable due to being human ourselves. Hell, in some ways it's worse since the animal can't consent to it or even really understand what is happening.
>>
>>2293903
My grandma had Alzheimer's. The condition she was in was horrific, and I remember when I would visit her in hospice care she would always ask when they were going to take her out and shoot her. You literally just wait for them to die. It is all you can do.

So yes. I absolutely would if it were legal.
>>
>>2293906
Well ok, I can respect that since at least your beliefs are consistent.
>>
>>2293903
My grandfather killed himself because he didn't want to slowly wither away, like he had to watch happen to my grandmother.
I'd much rather he was able to go out, surrounded by family - it wouldn't of been easy, but it would have been better than getting a call at 2am from the nursing home.
>>
>>2293868
Read >>2290170
>>
>>2292465
imagine if those patients want to be alive though. surely some do, and imagine being in that helpless position and wanting to live, but some doctor says you should die and is acting like it's doing you a favor and you can't fight back.
>>
>>2293944
There is a big difference between a doctor deciding and a patient and/or their family deciding.
>>
>>2293903
my grandmother has a stash of stuff so she can off her self if she is too unwell to have a productive life she's 80 now and still doing well so it's not happening any time soon but we have talked about it. my mom is the same way actually as we have had to deal with my grandfather, her father, when he went through dementia (really his own fault). I also am watching my dad go through some major issues due to a rare neurological disorder and while there is hope for him it's still like watching fast acting Alzheimer episodes so i do get the mentality, especially with things like cancers.
>>
>>2293947
So you think the family should be allowed to authorize euthanasia even if the patient does not want it?
>>
Smoke weed
>>
>>2293983
Depends on the patient's quality of life and mental state. People "pull the plug" on coma patients. In most places with euthanasia laws, it is a complex process.
>>
File: 1469391696660.jpg (83KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1469391696660.jpg
83KB, 540x540px
Fuck this heavy morality thread.

Post fluffy doggos!
>>
File: HHHHHMM QOL scale.png (42KB, 465x715px) Image search: [Google]
HHHHHMM QOL scale.png
42KB, 465x715px
Do not anthropomorphise your pet.

Take a step back and assess their quality of life from an objective perspective.

Euthanasia is appropriate after a certain point in old age or terminal illness.
>>
>>2294002
You guys always say "it's ok to kill them since they're not human" but then go on to say it's immoral to let them to continue to live in suffering, which seems anthropomorphism in itself. How do you know that they react to protracted pain the same way that humans do? The idea that it is better to be dead than to live in suffering is in itself a human one.
>>
>>2294004
If they're on a terminal decline, they're basically ready to die as soon as they stop eating and drinking. That's it. They're no longer clinging to life, they've given up on the basic necessities to keep themselves alive. I've watched it happened a few times, now, with elderly animals. The Quality of Life scale is surprisingly accurate.

I'm all for human euthanasia, too, so long as the person considering it is over the age of majority and their thinking is reasonably unimpaired.
>>
>>2290166
>Didn't believe in vet care
>let it suffer in the cold with an infection because the ONLY way to put down an animal is by taking it to the vet

Why didn't you just bash it's fucking head in with a rock, you twats.
>>
I took my cat to the vet the other day and found out he has cancer along his left jaw causing the teeth along it to fall out. Vet just gave me anti biotic shots to make sure an Infection doesn't set in. Gonna have him put down after he can't eat anymore but he's content for now for a 16 year old cat.
>>
>>2290158
your face is a slow agonizing death
>>
My first animal died without euthanasia, but the only concerning medical condition was eventual arthritis. She couldn't really walk too far, but she still got excited when she saw the leash. She died naturally, but never showed any signs of extreme pain or pressing medical conditions. Of course, the vet saw her every year, and also confirmed the lack of pressing medical issues other then old age.

My last cat was euthanized though. I somehow ended up with a 9 year old Tonkinese that had late stage kidney failure due to a unfortunate series of events. I had him for about 9 months: changed his water multiple times a day, cuddled with him a lot, changed his litter out daily, and fed him only wet food to try and make his last months worthwhile. One night after coming home from work, he just wouldn't eat or drink anything despite seeming fine in the morning. His appearance began to 'sink in'. The worst snowstorm imaginable had hit that night. I gave him water from a dropper and held him in my lap until the morning when the vet opened up. The bus still wasn't running due to snow, so I put him in like 4 blankets in a cat carrier and carried him to the vet's office. He was euthanized because he was in pain at that point. I wasn't going to continue his life for a measly few months for my own sake considering he would've developed brain damage and been encumbered by progressive, intense pain at that point even with treatment. They did the first shot to put him in a slumber, and he fell asleep in my arms being held. Once he was out, they administered the second shot and put the stethoscope on him, but instantly took it off and said, "He's already gone." They think he went when they first gave him the shot to fall asleep. He died in my arms basically.

It was a bad day.
>>
And before anyone asks, I'm saying I received the cat at 9 years old with late stage kidney failure to clarify.
>>
If animals have a survival drive, and outwardly show a desire to live, help them live as much as possible, if they are lethargic, refuse to eat or drink, and require IV, that's when it's time to let them go.
>>
>>2290142
the way my dog lives is not natural. most dogs with cancer, etc would die sooner 'naturally' than they would in a house if they were in thst state. your argument doesn't exist.
>>
File: 1451852470405.jpg (33KB, 542x600px) Image search: [Google]
1451852470405.jpg
33KB, 542x600px
>>2294897
that was pretty good.
>>
>>2293841
it's a lifestyle choice. perhaps a stupid one, but if you are true to it that's a little bit different than just being a dick to pets. the story about the mice doesn't exactly fit, though. (that's just being a dick to the mice and the boy)
>>
>>2292445
honestly though, good choice, granted you're going to be a dogfucker
>>
>>2293903
there are so many people that want to that there are books about it. legal manuscripts. people's lives wasted fighting over it. humans weren't naturally '''meant''' to live past age 50, if that. we do, because we are no longer in "nature."

the extremely high standard of living inside a modern home has the one drawback that it pushes you to live until even your bones are failing, until you are riddle with cancer, until you are nigh too weak to breathe. i can't think of any real reason you shouldn't try to skip out on that stage, once it gets unbearable.

same goes for dogs (to a lesser degree of couse), but if my dog is riddled with melanoma, i'll have him live probably longer than he would """in nature""" but i would send him to sleep for good when i'm sure he has stopped feeling pleasure and happiness.
>>
if you think it's cowardly for someone with advanced colon cancer to want to put themselves out of you're misery you're kind of a piece of shit desu.
>>
>>2294907
Damn that sucks anon at least your 2 kitties seemed like they lived fulfilled lives.
>>
>>2294974
Probably has a knot the size of a large grapefruit though.

All she'd need to do afterwards, should she want to whistle, is go for a brisk walk.
>>
>>2290129
Is the plant general the only non-autistic thread on this shitty board?
>>
>>2295028
erm dude... cool it umm... i'm getting a little... excited... i'm going to go walk my dog
>>
>>2294981
I think it's awfully arrogant to decide for yourself when the dog would rather not be alive though.

I can accept the standard that some have posted, when the animal is no longer eating anymore, since at this point it clearly isn't even trying to live itself, but otherwise you're just murdering an unwilling creature.
>>
>>2295103
that is the standard i'm using. i said when the dog no longer can feel pleasure, obviously i would use something to prove that if i am killing my friend. fuck off.
>>
>>2295172
Well alright then, just wasn't too clear from your post how you would judge such a thing.
>>
>>2295043
Stretch first, you don't want to get a cramp.
>>
>>2290129
Intelligence isn't cowardice.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.