[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a single male living on my own and considering getting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: cTMlNv1.jpg (105KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
cTMlNv1.jpg
105KB, 640x640px
I'm a single male living on my own and considering getting a dog, and being a 4chan regular I figured I'd give this board a go.
I'm currently going through university with the goal of obtaining a career in policing. I'm out the the house about 8-10 hours a day, but the remaining hours I'm very active and I go for long runs daily.
Would getting myself a dog be viable? Or would it be mistreatment to subject the poor guy to so much alone time?
I'd be looking to get a smart breed of dog that would act as a companion and a friend, preferably something that could be well trained from a puppy. I'd be more than willing to spend good money while I'm at it.
Thoughts? Advice?
>>
8-10 hours alone is too long for a puppy

get an adult shelter dog
>>
also,

>going through university with the goal of obtaining a career in policing

why waste your money? don't they hire people off the street [spoiler] my dad days they do and he teaches police foundations [/spoiler]
>>
people on /an/ are neet purists who believe the only proper way to own a dog is if you dedicate every waking hour of your life to it

people who work 50 hour work weeks get puppies all the time and things usually work out okay, obviously it's not ideal but the people on here who say you're worse than literally Hitler for doing this should be ignored

also doggy daycare isn't that expensive
>>
>>2289629
>people do stupid things so we should just make it the standard
>>
>>2289631
>if it's not 100% perfect it's 100% trash
>>
>>2289621

Not all countries have policever forces like the US
And I want to work Major Crimes, not be some street cop. To go anywhere as an officer Ill need a university education.
>>
File: Message_1481549985780-1.jpg (1MB, 1838x2721px) Image search: [Google]
Message_1481549985780-1.jpg
1MB, 1838x2721px
>>2289606
I found my dog on adoptapet.com, you can also try petfinder.com. it gives you time to look into each dog and exposes you to way more dogs than you would ever see just driving around shelter to shelter.
>>
>>2289643
Forgot to mention he was already housetrained. Our other dog also from a shelter was also housetrained. Both are angels. Got him at 4 years old and mine at 2yo.
Not necessarily what may happen to you but try it.
>>
>>2289606
Not all dogs can hold it 10 hours, don't get mad at your dog if s/he happens to be one of them. You may have to hire a dog walker for the days you will be out longer. Keep in mind, you may also want to hold off if you want a police k9; I know some places let the dogs go home to a handler at the end of their shift, but some places have rules about no free roaming pets in the household to take home a k9.

A puppy, if you're alone, is pretty much out of the question right now. If you get a summer off, or a roommate or gf who is willing to help, that's another story. I wouldn't recommend shelter puppies unless you want a dog on Dante Must Die mode. A unknown puppy from unknown background (no, shelters don't usually know the breed, their guess is based off looks alone and is as good as ours.) can be difficult compared to a breed you've done research on with breeders who know what they are doing.

>>2289636
>Let's set someone up for failure because other people fail!
I for one just like to tell people the truth.
>>
File: fatbirbs.jpg (25KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
fatbirbs.jpg
25KB, 450x300px
10 week old puppy = 3 months of neethood + 6 months of someone's help
average dog = 1,5+ hours every day
average weeb dog, cattle dog, working dog = 3 hours a day
old always sleeping dog = 30 min x2 a day
>>
>>2289606

Wait, do police cadets go to an Academy and live there? My older brother is a highway patrol cadet and he's been away from home for months training. Figure that part out first.

Also, puppy is no bueno unless you're gonna be home or have help as others have said. An adult doggo would be better able to cope with being alone for that amount of time. If my dog is going to be alone for more than 8 hours, then I pay up for daycare. He's much happier and I'm not worried about him being lonely. Best part is that he's exhausted the next day so I know he'll just sleep.
>>
>>2289606
I recently adopted a pupper who's 50lbs now. I honestly wouldn't adopt unless you have a gf or roommate to let him out during the day.

definitely don't get a puppy, they simply can't hold it that long. if you can take some time off to diligently work with the dog, a lot of them are fine holding it for 8ish hours. if you're close to work you can always let him out on lunch breaks
>>
>>2289636
>if it's not 100% trash "it's fine"
Great way of rationalizing your 98% trash scenario.
>>
>>2289606
Don't retired police dogs go to the officer that trained it or something? Why don't you specialize in the k9 unit?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.