[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've had my dog since she was just 3 weeks old and it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: H1qzwtdlo1_540.jpg (167KB, 512x631px) Image search: [Google]
H1qzwtdlo1_540.jpg
167KB, 512x631px
I've had my dog since she was just 3 weeks old and it's been 1.5 years, I don't think she loves me or even knows who I am. She reacts excitedly to literally every human who comes near her and doesn't ever want to sit or lie down on my lap when we're just chilling.

How do I bond with my dog in a significant way?
>>
>>2289052
What breed? Breeds have different personalities.

My dog doesn't like to sit or lie down on my lap. He's a German Shepherd. He tolerates a hug for about five seconds and then squirms away.
>>
>>2289056
She's a shih tzu. The only way I can get really good quality time with her is if I'm carrying her around the house like a baby in my arms, cradling her. She loves this and will chill out and be absolutely still for hours a time until I put her down. But literally any other time, all she wants to do is run around and do anything other than spend time with me.

My point is, I know she likes affection or, at least she likes being carried around like a baby and maybe it has nothing to do with affection.
>>
>>2289052
I've never had dogs until I turned 23~ and was out on my own (dad hated pets), and I have the most loving relationship with my two dogs (German shep, 6 years old, and a pug 2 years old) and the dogs are best friends with each other. I think it would just be weird to have a pet and not have a bond with it (unless it's some vermin pet, etc.)
>>
>>2289052
Sucks to suck, nerd.

My dog loves the shit out of me and sticks to me like velcro. At any given moment and I can out his name and he come running as fast as he can to jump on me and give me love.
>>
>>2289058
Shih tzus aren't much for games it seems. One of my friends got them for the reason that they were basically bred to be on the Queens lap and just be calm, so it makes sense yours would like that.

Do a bit more research into the breed, but that definitely sounds like the dog my friend had. I wouldn't take it too personally anon, any dog will get excited when a new person is in the house because it's a guest and something new, and to a dog, that's really exciting.

Your dog just isn't one of the types of breeds that is really up for a whole lot of play, and since (as far as I know) they weren't bred to work, it's not really going to look to you to teach it things, or instruct it, so it won't 'act' like it wants to play or be affectionate.

I think you are simply misinterpreting the breeding. Most working breed dogs will actively look to their owner for guidance because we bred them to do that, otherwise we couldn't train them to do the job we need them to do. But most small/family pet breeds weren't really given that 'want' to learn from you, so you have to find other motivators to get them playing and such, like treats or their absolute favourite toy. But even then, don't expect too much from a shih tzu because it is simply not in their breeding.

Now, if you want to do you both a good thing that wouldn't cost much more, go and adopt another small dog from the shelter that comes off as fun and wanting to play. You're current dog will have a play buddy and probably become more active and fun to watch, and you will get a dog that will show you more affection.

Something like a pug mix or chihuahua mix. Everyone hates on them, but their personalities are actually quite affectionate and fun with the right training, and getting a mix from the pound lowers (if even only slightly) the chances you might have to take it to the vet all the time.
>>
>>2289052
>>2289233
>three weeks old

Oooh, I didn't read that before. Ok, so on top of this other stuff I posted, that could also have a huge part in it as well. Puppies have this learning period of 12-16 weeks in which they do a lot of their key socialization and bite inhibition, which they usually learn from mom and their other siblings. It's also why shelters and official organizations are not allowed to let puppies leave the litter (if possible) till a minimum of 8 weeks. Your pup might not have learned how to properly bond and show affection on top of the breed. A new dog, if the right personality match, could help a small bit, but for the most part, this is just a part of your dogs personality and I wouldn't push it too much. Love them for what they are, and whether or not they show it too much, your dog does enjoy your presence.
>>
>>2289052
You cant force a dog to like you, same way to cant force a person to do so
>>
It seems like some dogs are just dickheads like that, I knew two that were. There was a guy who had a dalmatian who would never listen to a thing her owner said but if I called her she would come right to me. Mind you this was a white nerd who named his dog "Fubu" so that might tell you something.

Another time I went camping with a bunch of guys and one of them brought his rhodesian ridgeback. This fucking dog would not come to him, ever, when he called it. I was starting to think the thing was deaf but he would come to everyone else who called and sit down next to them.

When I was getting ready to leave Sunday morning he spent like an hour trying to get the fucker to come to him so he could put it back in his truck. He still didn't have it when I started for home.
>>
>3 weeks old
You fucked up OP.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.