[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best toy to get for a teething puppy? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 20161225_215247.jpg (186KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
20161225_215247.jpg
186KB, 540x960px
What is the best toy to get for a teething puppy?

I've tried to give him some of my older dog's toys to play with, but he seems uninterested in them. I tried to buy him a new toy, but he doesn't seem interested in it either. It's a nylon bone with a nubbed center that's supposed to clean teeth as he chews.

Instead of going for the toys I give him, he just wants to chew on shoes, the corder of rugs, sheets, etc.
>>
>>2288490
Whatever the fuck the puppy might like. Get a fucking a fucking flavored bone or something and a couple of other things and see what he goes for. What a dumb question.
>>
I got a 10 week old puppy and so far his favorite thing to chew is a purina busy "chewnola". 3 layers and the little guy goes at them nonstop!
>>
>>2288490
>ignores hard toys like nylabone
>chews on shoes, the corder of rugs, sheets

he wants something softer to chew on. get one of those tug-of-war ropes or stuffing-less, dip it in water, and freeze it.

also, bully sticks. they're a little expensive, but if that's your puppy in the OP pic, he's small enough that it'll be a while before he chomps through them. get the 2-3 foot long ones and they'll last him a long while.
>>
>>2288517
>or stuffing-less
or stuffing-less toys*

when my puppy was teething I kept a frozen rope and three frozen stuffingless toys that I rotated so he always had a fresh one. the only thing that got damaged was my desk chair, and that was just due to my own laziness.
>>
>>2288490
also, if that IS your puppy in the OP pic, his stomach looks a little bloated. have you done a fecal exam or an exam at the vet? a bloated puppy tummy isn't really a good sign.
>>
>>2288517
>>2288518
>>2288520
I'll try and get him something softer then. Would some rawhides be good?

And yes, that's my pupper. He had just eaten in that pic, and he fell asleep on the floor. I've noticed that he gets a little puffy after he eats, but it goes away after a while, especially after he goes outside to do his business.
>>
>>2288524
I should mention, he was taken to the vet before I got him and was given his first round of shots along with an exam. They said he was fine.
>>
>>2288524
don't buy rawhides. they're way more likely to cause impactions as they aren't digestible.

bully sticks are way safer. also, you can find fish skins, but they don't last nearly as long; they're like treats.

when you go back to the vet for the next round of shots, ask for a fecal exam just in case. puppies need multiple rounds of dewormings in the early stages of life.

and make sure you puppy is eating an appropriate amount of calories and getting appropriate macros if the bloating really is just because he's eaten recently. I wouldn't start off with free-feeding if that's what you're doing.

bloating = gas buildup = something isn't agreeing with his stomach. lots of gas for a puppy isn't normal.
>>
>>2288490

Pigs head if its winter or pigs trotters.
>>
>>2288490
The spines of your enemies
>>
>>2288528
It's probably the food. He's only about 7 weeks old, and I know he should be with his mother for another week or two, but it wasn't possible for him to stay. The mom got sick and became hostile towards the puppies, so they had to be taken away from her after she broke one of their legs.

I have him on some puppy chow, and he eats about 3 times a day. Once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and once at night with my other two dogs.

I'll go to walmart and see if they sell any of those sticks for him to chew on, and get him a softer toy for his teeth. I keep seeing online that kong toys are good for puppies, but I've never tried them. Would getting one be appropriate?
>>
>>2288537
>kongs
if he's that young, I'd wait. he will get bigger and he'll need a bigger one for his mouth, and they're somewhat expensive for what they are. plus in my experience it takes a while for puppies to figure them out.

make sure when you find the bully sticks the only ingredient is "pizzle". it's bull penis. it can be beef pizzle, cow pizzle, bull pizzle, whatever. as long as it's the only "ingredient".
>>
>>2288548
Why pizzle?
>>
File: p-81456-79204K.jpg (33KB, 432x432px) Image search: [Google]
p-81456-79204K.jpg
33KB, 432x432px
They do make kongs that are softer just for puppies and they come in many different sizes. I've seen them in a size that would be perfect for a puppy that small. Pet value or any large pet store would be your best bet. You could also use a clean dish rag soaked in water and frozen; the cold feels really good on their gums. Try your best to stick with soft toys until your puppies adult teeth come in, usually around 11 months they stop teething.
>>
>>2288549
Because that way you know it'll be ok for your puppy

Dog food/treats aren't as well regulated as people food but there ARE still laws about what they can/cannot list as an ingredient and how they're allowed to do it.

Pizzle is a soccer mom friendly way of saying penis. One-ingredient items (barring rawhide) are usually safer for dogs.
>>
>>2288490
WASHCLOTHS.

Get a bunch of them fuckers, get em wet, roll /twist em up, freeze em, and badabing, Your little doggo gets gumb-numbing, soft-chewing magic.

Watch him to make sure he's not tearing strings off the washcloths and swap them out once they're no longer freeze-y, and you're good to go.
>>
>>2288490
My puppy loves a frozen carrot
>>
>>2288946
Different anon, but I do agree with this. There are many treats like this though: trachea, duck feet, pig/cow ears, tendons, antlers, hooves (last two might not be good for a puppy).

I believe Nylabone makes products specifically for teething puppies. Perhaps look into that?
>>
File: charlotte_puppy.webm (3MB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
charlotte_puppy.webm
3MB, 720x1280px
>>2288490
cute puppy, what breed is that?

looks a little like mine
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.