[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just how intelligent are bunnies? Mine has started to pick her

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

Just how intelligent are bunnies? Mine has started to pick her food plate with her teeth and drop it on the floor when it's empty. Is she trying to catch my attention and get me to give her more food, or is she just playing and making noise for the fuck of it?
>>
>>2288132
Depends. Short answer is probably "both."

Long answer: How do you react when she does it? If you give her more food and/or attention when she does it, it's likely a learned behavior that started out as her just messing around, and then she learned based on your reaction that it's a good way to get your attention.
>>
>>2288132

I've seen both ends of the spectrum. A friend of mine had a rabbit who, if he was in his cage, and you put some lettuce outside the cage opposite to the door, would spend an hour trying to push through the cage instead of going out the open door on the other side.

On the other hand, I have a trio of buns right now, and they like beer. Knowing that it's not good for them, I try to keep the beer away from them.

They, in turn, have realized that if two of them sit on my feet, I'm reluctant to disturb them, which leaves the third free to try to get into the cans when I leave them out to warm. They're also smart enough to try to drag them up to a higher platform than the kitchen shelf by gripping them in their teeth and hopping to the top of the fridge before letting them drop to break them open.
>>
Bunnies are intelligent as long as they're familiar with you. When I first got my bunny , she was too scared to do anything. She didn't poop/pee in her litter box and she was very shy , she didn't jump around in joy , she didn't want to play with me, etc.

Now that she got more courage , she seems to be pretty smart. When she wants food , she will run around her bowl, when she wants to play , she will make some grunting noises and jump around. Bunnies are intelligent.
>>
>>2288290
>She didn't poop/pee in her litter box
Mine is starting to learn to pee there but she still poops wherever the fuck she wants

She does jump around a lot and isn't scared of anyone in the house though
>>
>>2288236
Your buns sound like masterminds
>>
>>2288236
>Rabbits constructing elaborate plans to secure alcohol
Now I know I've heard of everything.
>>
>>2288132
Fairly smart and dumb at the same time. Mines afraid of our rat's which are significantly smaller then her but she still acts like they're gonna eat her. But she comes when called and uses her litter box 99% of the time, we're gonna start doing some clicker training next.
>>
>>2288290
This. They are fairly shy, but once they understand you and their enivornment more their true colors shine.

When my family had a pet rabbit, it knew I wouldn't react if it ran into my bedroom. I'd let it chill there and hang out. If it went into my sisters room she would get mad (for good reasons since it liked to chew on her stuff sometimes). It learned to press my sisters buttons this way. It would intentionally sit outside my sisters bedroom door for a while, wait for my sister to notice and react, and then run inside the room. It never did that to me and seemed to only go into my room when I was also there.
>>
In my experience with rabbits, i would say they exhibit intelligence, but not humanity. my mom used to call our massive white lab rabbit 'autistic'. he loved being petted , but did not seek or return affection, but was very calculating and assertive when he interracted with the cats, and he had no trouble escaping from confinement by manipulating locks and leverage. he also loved alcohol and meat. he always shit in the litter box and loved to sleep on things the cats used, like their food dishes or litter box. all of this aside, he also responded to his name.

i think autistic summed it up pretty well. just assum a rabbit to be hedonistic and intelligent but untrainable.
>>
>>2288627

Rabbits aren't untrainable, but you have to learn a little bit about rabbit behavior. They're social animals in the wild, with pretty defined hierarchies.

One of most important things to keep in mind is that subservient rabbits, when dealing with the dominant rabbit

A) Bring him/her food
B) Groom him/her and brush his/her fur.

So, if you're like 99% of pet owners and habitually bring your pet food and pet them, your rabbit is thinking "This tall pink giant blob thing is acknowledging my superiority. This is my house now!"

Which can make it difficult to train the rabbit.
>>
>>2288725
So how is the correct way to train them?
>>
File: bunny demands bun rubs.webm (3MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
bunny demands bun rubs.webm
3MB, 854x480px
>>
>>2288989
Adorable!
>>
>>2288725
This is actually pretty funny
>>
>>2288725
My rabbit licks my hair when I lay on the ground. Does that mean I'm the alpha bun?
>>
>>2288725
You're an idiot and are making rabbit hierarchies way to simplistic.
>>
>>2288132
Very smart but do not ever get mad at them. They don't think like humans and when you neglect it or dislike them they start stomping and that behavior sticks with them maybe forever. I got two baby bunnies 3+ years ago thinking they were both female. Turns out one of them after 1 year after dropping his testicles was a boy and I started neglecting him then the stomping for attention then the constant harrasment to the female so I gave him away. Depends on the breed most probably. My boy was a white flop patchy black bun. I only have my 3yo Dutch breed female bun and she's great and really silent and I know when she wants my attention.
>>
>>2289208
Forgot to mention I fixed/vasectomized him. But ultimately gave him away because I don't bond well with male bunnies that harass my female bun. Plus I'm virgin laugh at me.
>>
>>2289208
>Very smart but do not ever get mad at them. They don't think like humans and when you neglect it or dislike them they start stomping
Last night my bunny jumped from the floor straight onto the couch (a jump about 1.5 times her own height, she's about a month and a half old and still very little) and after a while peed on it, and my sister assertively grabbed her and returned her to her cage. Then the bunny spent like an hour biting the cage bars and generally causing a ruckus as a protest

I didn't know jack shit about rabbits before and it's kinda fascinating to see how this one behaves
>>
>>2289340
I put my bunny in the cage when she's chewing the little fence I got for her fold. She does the same , she starts chewing on the cage bars and scratching the bottom of the cage. Also , she makes some sort of growl , that happens when she thinks she's pregnant.
>>
>>2289210
what does being a virgin have to do with the sex of bunnies

are you fucking them?
>>
>>2289429
It's bait. He can't be a virgin if he's fucking them.

Also , I don't get why is the male bunny harassing the female bun but whatevs.
>>
>>2288132
Bunfags, How floppy are bunny ears?
>>
My bunny has a little wooden house inside her cage, she sleeps in it at night and spends a lot of time ON it during the day, when she's not running around and chewing on stuff. Sometimes when I put my hand in the cage and tap my fingers on the wooden house's roof, she'll suddenly jump at my hand. Doesn't bite or anything, just kinda headbutts my hand

Is she being playful or is she telling me to get the fuck out of her house? She normally doesn't mind when I reach into the cage to pet her
>>
>>2288627
so, essentially, he was

intelligent, nihilistic, and with a wicked sense of humor?
>>
File: Bunnies 024.jpg (290KB, 2048x1539px) Image search: [Google]
Bunnies 024.jpg
290KB, 2048x1539px
>>2289596
She's mildly upset. If she were truly upset she'd lunge at you with bared teeth.

>>2288132
My rabbits do the same thing. I don't know if they're demanding more or just getting rid of what they see as a useless empty bowl, but it's certainly deliberate.

Sadly, we put our older bunny down today. She was only around 8, but had cancer in her lungs and was struggling to breathe. I've been a wreck for a couple of days.
One day I got home first and petted her, and she liked it. Then my wife got home and gave me a hug - our bunny thumped. My wife leaned over to pet her and she hopped just out of reach. Then I leaned in and she allowed me to pet her.
She'd also do something we didn't like, like dragging hay out of her pen, and thump to make sure we saw it.
I'm going to miss you so much.
>>
>>2289494
Quite floppy.
>>
File: 1473435021546.png (265KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1473435021546.png
265KB, 480x480px
>tfw rabbit trusts you the most out of anybody in the household and licks when you put your finger near its mouth
The ultimate acceptance
>>
>>2288236
>the cans when I leave them out to warm
You monster
>>
>>2288479
>acts like they're gonna eat her
Probably because in the wild, rats wouldn't hesitate to eat a rabbit if they had the advantage.
>>
>>2288479
That's being natural for her, a weasel is even smaller than a rat, but it preys on rabbits.
>>
My bunny has peed on my sister four times already, while she's never peed on me or my parents. Do bunnies pee on people they don't like or some shit, or is it just a coincidence
>>
>>2291185
Would like to know an answer too. My 2 year old bunny jumped into my bed countless times and peed on me. I mean it's fine because I have a bed sheet protector underneath my sheets and I also have spare bed quilt covers in the closet.
>>
>>2291245
I mean if it's indeed an intentional thing it's either that or some sort of "this is my territory now" thing
>>
>>2289429
Can you actually fuck one?
>>
>>2291185
>>2291245

Never seen it directly myself, but I have read that sometimes rabbits use deliberate urination to express disapproval of someone or something, and that they will on occasion urinate on other rabbits to kind of say "I hate you, leave me alone".
>>
>>2291372
I guess you could if you were down for a lot of pissing, shitting, blood, screaming, scratches, and bites
>>
>>2291502
When my current rabbit was still new in the house he crawled under a cabinet. When I peeked under and tried to get him out he flicked piss in my face. Thank goodness my mouth was closed.
>>
>>2288236
>warm beer
>>
Guys there's a bunny in my yard
What do?
>>
>>2291761
Wave at it?
>>
If you pet them and they grind their teeth it means they like it, right?
>>
>>2291761
what color is it?
>>
>>2291761
Prepare it and eat it.
>>
>>2289494
Fluffy and soft. Like floppy dog ears but less matted and smoother, and straighter most of the times.
>>
>>2292017
Gentle teeth grinding, yes. Though I'm sure if they didn't like it they would up and move.
>>
>>2292572
Bunnies eat fucktons of food If you keep a group tho. I'll still get them for flopiness. Tell me more
>>
>>2292880
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52R0f3QfOes
cute as fuck
>>
>>2289156
Not that Anon but can you explain bunny hierarchies with more detail?
>>
>>2294093
Bunnies don't have a straight alpha system. They live in boroughs in the wild and in that burrow is different groups with different dynamics. An alpha in one group won't be in another group.Some Burroughs have a super alpha but it's not incredibly common. Alphas are also active and protect others within their group and make sure things are going well.

Grooming like the original person mentioned is both a dominant and submissive behavior. Same with food, as the alpha in each group will provide protection and food, while also receive food. If you're bunny forcefully licks you then it's being dominant, if it licks you while your petting or holding it, it is being submissive and affectionate.
>>
File: R my nigga.jpg (11KB, 640x298px) Image search: [Google]
R my nigga.jpg
11KB, 640x298px
>>2288236
Warm beer is the shit.
>>
File: 1325536081244.jpg (229KB, 396x385px) Image search: [Google]
1325536081244.jpg
229KB, 396x385px
>tfw I want a cute bunny so badly but my landlord won't allow it under any circumstances
>tfw I have to resort to buying a "realistic" bunny plush to fill the void
>>
>>2294874
>Go to forest
>Find a bunny
>Cage it, Find more
>Unleash them on your landlord's plants/garden
Revenge
>>
>>2291372
Get a sheep" said the Scotsman.
>>
>>2294941
Why are you such a shitposter? That won't help at all you faggot.
>>
Post more cute buns
>>
File: 1410188198267.jpg (38KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1410188198267.jpg
38KB, 640x480px
>>2296582
>just large enough for full-hand petting and rubs
>just small enough for fun-size portability and cuteness
Best pet
>>
>>2295500
Not always on my trip, I don't need it that much to bait
>>
File: bunny with backpack.jpg (75KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
bunny with backpack.jpg
75KB, 640x640px
>>2296582
>>
Could it be that my bunny sometimes pees on the couch as a call for attention?
>>
File: 555555555.jpg (19KB, 526x394px) Image search: [Google]
555555555.jpg
19KB, 526x394px
My year-old rabbit does the following things, I don't know if they're signs of great intelligence but I can say that he knows and remembers some stuff.

>when he is in a new area with possible hazards around he explores all the terrain and returns to his "starting point" if he needs to get back
>understands at some point where he is not allowed to be, but that only means he will fight harder to be there if given the opportunity I used to let him be in my room but he starts marking with poop everywhere in less than 5 minutes.
>if I enter another room in the house (e.g. bathroom) he waits for me besides the door
>if he gets impatient he scratches the door of any room I'm in
>he likes romaine lettuce and I always take it from the fridge, goes and stays beside the fridge when he wants some
>when there are guests and someone leaves his chair he takes the chair
>knows when its time to get back or enter the house (don't have to bring him in)
>gets alarmed (runs up to me and taps the floor) if he hears a new loud sound but gets used to it and doesn't react afterwards
>differentiates people or at least the sounds they make, he doesn't like loud people and throws bites if they try to pet him

One thing I know, he has a character.

(pic related)
>>
>>2296861
>understands at some point where he is not allowed to be, but that only means he will fight harder to be there if given the opportunity
My bunny does this too, she knows there's boxes and shit under my bad which essentially are like a system of caves and she always tries to sneak in there. Even if I barricade the area, she tries to find alternative ways to get in
>>
Will young bunnies start mounting before they are ready?

We bought two babies, one male and one female, from a breeder about a month ago. We realize now that that was a mistake, but whatever. The breeder told us that they were both just a day under 8 weeks when we got them, but I just found the male trying to mount the female. I'd imagine that 3 months is still too young for them, but I wouldn't put it past a breeder to lie about the bunnies' age.

Is mounting a sure sign of sexual maturity? Is now the time, do we still have to wait, or could it be too late already?
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.