[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>bring my new dog to parent's house for christmas >tell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

>bring my new dog to parent's house for christmas
>tell them not to give him scraps from dinner table/kitchen
>they do it anyway
>he now begs every time someone's eating
>>
Is it a lab? If so you are fucked, he wont stop begging.
>>
>>2287176
Why did you leave your dog in the same room as your family during dinner then?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jj-8HsEFuE
>>
It'll take awhile with training but it won't ever not want it. Best you can hope for is that it will watch you silently from a distance.
>>
>>2287176

>not sitting there and eating the food in front of your dog and making him watch
>not telling him to go away
>not giving him a fucking smack cause youre the pack leader

you suck.
>>
>being mad that your dog looks at you while you have something they want
>being too lazy or incompetent to train your dog not to beg
Sounds like you're just a whiny, lazy cunt. It took me literally less than a week to train my lab not to beg and he's still fed tablescraps.
>>
It's not about the fact that the dog is begging it's about the fact that his family went against his wishes
>>
>>2287176
Kill them
>>
Those of you insulting OP's dog training prowess, how did you go about getting your dog to stop begging?
>>
>>2289469
First time posting in this thread but I only give my dog and cat scraps if they don't beg. If they fuck off and do their own thing they know that if I'm eating something they like I will give them some eventually
>>
So give it table scraps. I'm sure the food you're eating is better for your dog than that shitty cancer causing synthetic food.
>>
And? It's just a fucking dog. They aren't meant to be treated any better than even the shittiest human. Also why the fuck are you even taking your decoration places?
>>
>>2289528
Your baiting is far too visible, try to be more subtle
>>
>>2289469
My dog only got tablescraps when he was lying down in the living room. I just threw it over there for him. If you can teach a dog "lay down" and "stay" you can probably teach your dog how to stop begging. Eventually I decided it doesn't really matter if he begs, so he's allowed to lay next to the table now. He doesn't get scraps unless he's calm and laying down. My smaller dog is obnoxious, but she's small and old so it's not like she's going to cause a problem. Begging doesn't bother me at all as long as they're being calm and quiet.
>>
>>2289522
theres food that humans can safely eat thats poisonous for dogs (and cats), like onions, garlic, grapes, chocolate.

I would say it's best practice to just not feed your dog scraps and tell others to respect that wish
>>
>>2289785
>here's how I stopped my dog to beg
>Eventually I decided it doesn't really matter if he begs, so he's allowed to lay next to the table now

>post explaining how to stop begging behaviour
>anon just resigned and lets the dog beg
whether the dog is sitting or lying at the table, it's still begging for scraps.

THE ONLY WAY TO STOP THIS BEHAVIOUR IS TO STOP GIVING HIM SCRAPS YOU IDIOT
>>
>>2289787
Learn to read. I taught him not to beg and then I decided that there's literally no reason he shouldn't be allowed to lay next to the table quietly. If your dog sleeping next to you while you eat bothers you, maybe you should get a hamster instead. What's the point of a dog if you get mad at it for fucking looking at you? I'd be staring at you too if I was on a diet of kibbles n' bits and you were eating filet mignon every night.

>the only way to stop this behavior is to stop giving him scraps
He got scraps when he was lying in his kennel being good because I was rewarding him for doing what I wanted. And now he gets scraps at the table because he's still doing what I want him to do.
>>
>train dog to do a dozen or so tricks
>leave town on business for a year
>leave dog with parents
>they make her do all tricks in the same order every time
>dog now does entire routine regardless of command
>>
At least be careful with what scraps you give doggos. Too many times I've seen people ruin their health because poor Fifi deserves at least our leftovers xD
Family dog owners are more often than not scum
>>
>>2289794
>>2289794
>learn to read
>My dog only got tablescraps when he was lying down in the living room. I just threw it over there for him
begging in an adjacent room is still begging
offering a certain behaviour to get scraps = begging

the only way to stop it is to not feed your dog scraps. maybe you should learn to read
>>
>>2287176
Just slap his floppy dog ears and they will recoim and he will stop; If he has pointy ears then twist them until they become floppy
>>
>>2289469
First time posting ITT but in my experiences it's not about getting your dog to stop begging as much as it is never letting them start to begin with.
If you don't want your dog begging for food while you eat then don't give it people food. The dog needs structure anyway so having a set feeding time where it gets quality dog food only is a start. Don't let them in the same room or area when you are eating. When it comes to training if you are using treats as encouragement then make sure it's a dog treat and not a snack humans commonly eat. Keep the dog out of the kitchen when food is being prepared or served. Keep the dog out of the situations like cook outs, birthday partys, etc, and remember the dog can't help itself, you the human are responsible for what the dog eats.
If you never start feeding them scraps or people food, and are consistent with training your dog will not beg. Bear in mind some dogs are more food driven even with proper training, and you may never be able to fully trust them not to beg, it happens.
>>
>>2289797
>Family dog owners are more often than not scum
It's from ignorance and repetition, not from the evil intentions and malice that true scum is capable of.
>>
>>2289801
...So why is a dog sitting in its kennel a problem, exactly? You want me to punish my dog for merely thinking about food? Dog people are fucking insane.
>>
>>2289801
Also
>offering a certain behavior for treats is bad
>You gave your dog a treat for sitting down? The fucks wrong with you, anon? DON'T YOU KNOW YOU'RE TEACHING HIM TO BEG AND HE'LL NEVER BE WELL-MANNERED AGAIN?
>>
>>2289837
>offering a certain behavior for treats is bad
actually it is. it's called bribing. you want to ween your dog off treats as much and as early as possible, using praise and play instead. (treats only very sporadically)

>>2289835
>You want me to punish my dog for merely thinking about food
where did I say anything about punishment?
are you ok? do you have braindamage? learn2read

is your dog's diet so shit that you feel the need to supplement it with table scraps?
why cant you draw a clear line between dog food (goes in his bowl at certain times) and people food (goes on the table at certain times)?
literally any non-retard dog trainer will tell you NOT to feed your dog at the dinner table
>>
>>2290072
I maintain that dog people are fucking nuts about this kind of stuff. You still haven't told me why giving my dog tablescraps is bad, just that "any" dog trainer would agree with you. Not everyone minds their dog "begging". If you don't want to share food with your dog or have it begging, that's fine. Train them not to. Not everyone wants a dog with the same exact temperament as you do. He's causing no problems. He doesn't disrupt dinner, he won't steal food, and he's quiet and calm. No problems here.

>is your dogs diet so shit that you feel the need to supplement with table scraps
No. My dog enjoys it and I enjoy making him happy. If I can offer him healthy, fresh food, why shouldn't I? I don't think unseasoned chicken is going to kill him.

>it's called bribing
Yes, giving dogs a reward is bribing them. I agree. Using toys is still bribing them though, it's just a different reward.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.