[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was thinking about getting a dog when I move back home from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

I was thinking about getting a dog when I move back home from college. I really want to get a Doberman, but I am hesitant about the adoption process in general. This would be my first dog I'd adopt, let alone a big animal other than fish or reptile. I almost feel like if I told the adoption center this they wouldn't give me a dog because I have no experience. But I'd still like an animal companion.

Will adoption centers ask me if I've own any dogs before? Will they deny me adopting a certain breed or dog because of my lack of experience? I know this sounds really silly, but I don't know anything about owning dogs other than from textbook.
>>
>>2285696

And even though Dobermans are my favorite breed, I meant this question in general about all dogs.
>>
>>2285696

Firstly theyre dogs.

You do not adopt them, you purchase them.

They are not human, they are not your furbaby or any of that other bullshit.

Go to decent breeders and see if they are wanting to retire any adult dogs or have any litters planned.

Ask yourself what attributes you want in a dog then come back here and we can all advise what breed or mix would be best suited.

I had Dobermans growing up and wont own them now due to their temperment, theyre now just neurotic show dogs.
>>
>>2285704

Yeah to me they are dogs but to an animal adoptive center they might be more than that and I don't want to seem neglectful in anyway.

Are Dobermans really tempermental? Do they bite or ruin stuff or is that because they don't have enough energy released?
>>
>>2285704
>sperging over semantics
>tells op to go to a breeder

I know you're a troll but oh my god shut up.

OP, some rescues will ask if you've owned a dog before, but some won't. The worst they can do is tell you "no" to a specific dog and then suggest one better suited for your situation.

Some rescues care more, some care less. I've found that if you can prove you have the resources and dedication to take care of a dog properly that rescues are willing to let things slide. On paper, me, a first time dog owner on the second floor of a small apartment in the city, who was also a student and part time worker, should not have been able to adopt a 3 month old border collie mix. But apparently I said all the things that put their minds at ease, because less than five days from my application I was walking out of an adoption event with a puppy in my arms.

My suggestion is to not get hung up on a certain feature of your future dog. But like I said: the worst thing a rescue can do is say no and they'll often suggest a more suitable dog for you.
>>
File: IMG_9387.jpg (193KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9387.jpg
193KB, 720x1280px
>>2285696
while I commend you for waiting until after college to get a dog, why not adopt from a shelter? they're plenty cute.

pic related. it's my gf w my old roommate's adopted dog, Bandit.
>>
>>2285717
misread op. like the guy above me said, don't get hung up on looks and find a cool mf to take instead
>>
>>2285717

Can I adopt her?
>>
>>2285713
>>2285717

Thanks guys. I am invested in looks because I want a Doberman because of how sleek they look. And those cute dots above their eyes, that's a huge thing I like. But I understand what you guys mean by the adopt centers saying know. I guess I was afraid they would look at me as a potential harm to dogs or something and shun me.

And yes, I've been wanting a dog since I was a little kid. I got one more year of school and I hope if I move back home I can have a dog. I am kind of worried about medical costs in case he or she gets sick but I'm sure by then I'll love the dog enough where I won't mind parting with thousands of dollars.

I mean, is that what happened to you dog owners? Did anyone else think about how expensive a dog would be but changed their mind after having one and it's affection?
>>
File: IMG_0292.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0292.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2285838
> I guess I was afraid they would look at me as a potential harm to dogs or something and shun me.

Unless you've got a criminal record or you're the type of person who says they want a Doberman (the "dangerous dog" of the 80s) for "protection" I don't see why they would think this.

As for expenses: I'm not gonna lie, owning a dog and caring for it properly is expensive. The initial cost depends on where you are. If you're in the southern US or a densely populated area I'd expect you to pay no more than $200 for a dog and usually on the lower end. A rescued puppy could cost upwards of $300. In Colorado I adopted my puppy for $350.

It ended up being a shitty rescue. He came to me with three different internal parasites plus fleas and unneutered, which they said he would be. I got off lucky with my vet and got a deal where my vet visits were free until he was 6 months old.

In the first year, I spent at least $1,000 on antibiotics, dewormers, regular puppy and rabies shots, x-rays for two sand impactions, neutering, an emergency trip in a different state where the vets didn't know fucking shit, a fractured toe, and a leptospirosis shot.

Obviously most of those things might not happen to your dog. But I thought they wouldn't happen to mine either because I was so careful. But they did.
>>
>>2285844
How much would it have been for just the regular shots? Also in Colorado here.
>>
>>2285849
vet vists for normal shit are about $70-150

but you should always have at least $300 banked for euthanasia

more if you want to cure something treatable rather than kill your pet for a minor health problem
>>
>>2285849
I'm the anon above you and actually kept all my receipts for his shots.

At my vet (animal healthcare denver):
3 year rabies: $15
3 year sDa2pp: $27.50
1 year oral bordetella: $15 (I get it every six months in case he needs to be boarded)
Neutering: $150

If you're OP, know you can't get the 3 year vaccines right away when they're puppies (if you're thinking of a puppy), you have to get the 1 year.
>>
>>2285855
In addition since the other anon said vet visits are $70-$150, vet visits at AHCD are $55
>>
Geez dogs can cost up to $10,000 right? How does everyone in the US own a dog or even several?
>>
>>2285856
that was in maplebux

i'm a bit drunk since i got laid off today and forgot to mention that
>>
>>2285861
>maplebux
Kek

Also OP, if you do rescue a dog, make sure you get a fecal exam done right away. Rescues can't guarantee the health of their dogs especially when they depend solely on foster volunteers. A fecal exam will let you know if the dog has any intestinal issues like parasites.
>>
Something to consider is that Doberman in particular have absolutely shit health and more likely than not you're going to end up spending a fortune to even keep the dog alive
>>
>>2285860
>Geez dogs can cost up to $10,000 right?
sure, doesn't mean all of them are, most wont go above $1k except for certain pure breeds that are less common, and most of the super expensive dogs are breed to show standards.
>>
>>2285696
First thing,

DOBERMAN PUPPIES ARE THE FUCKING DEVIL.

That said, they eventually turn into decent doggerinos. For a first time owner, definitely get an adult, doberman or not.

Also, you may encounter some resistance from any reputable rescue/shelter (as you should) if you look/dress/sound/act/live like a shitbag.

If you're afraid you meet one of the above criteria and they'd deny you, you probably shouldn't get a dog.

>>2285941
Maybe cardio issues in shitty-bred z-factor doges, and late joint problems if you supplement w/ too much calcium early, but other than that they're pretty healthy.

>>2285717
>mexican
>pitbull mutt
surprise.gif
>>
I feel like if anything I should get a mutt before buying a purebreed
>>
>>2285704
fuck you
>>
>>2285860
Health insurance?
>>
>>2286549
Literally why?
Buy the fucking dog you want. Stop listening to other people's opinions on what you're supposed to want or not and do what will make you and the future dog happy.
If you want a Doberman then get one. If that's what you've had your heart set on then do it and train it and love it and make it the best Dobe possible.
There's nothing wrong with getting a mutt but don't get one just because someone told you not to get the breed you've really been wanting.
>>
I don't think a dobie is the best first dog if only because they're a working breed. You need to be really on top of training and give them a TON of exercise and stimulation. If you're a complete newbie to dogs, something with less energy will be much more manageable for you.

The other anons are right as well, dobermans have SHIT health nowadays.

Another thing to consider is how people will act. If you have a "dangerous" breed, strangers will be complete hardasses about any kind of misbehavior. If your dog even scares somebody, you can get in trouble.

I feel you a lot, Anon. I wanted a dobie for years, but the health issues have really turned me off them. I stick to mutts these days.

You can find other dogs with those cute eyebrows. I've got a GSD mix with em.
>>
I don't understand how people get dogs without having a family, they are such high maintenance animals. Unless you are one of those people who thinks letting it out in the backyard is acceptable?

Dogs gotta be walked three times a day. It's a lot of time investment. What if you do overtime at work, or get pulled into some plan to head somewhere afer work?
>>
>>2286864
I don't understand how anyone can properly care for a dog while working full-time, period.
>>
>>2286873
Full time student, part time worker, own a herding breed dog.
Kill me right now. I know I've fucked up.
>>
>>2285704
Don't worry anon, I agree with you.
Though I do treat them ethically and like a friend.
>>
>>2286549
Whatever you say. But understand, you're going to be looking at whatever dog you get for 15 years or so.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.