[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /an/, I am a farmer and I know you faggot hippies are a bunch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: barn_cat-300x199.jpg (14KB, 300x199px) Image search: [Google]
barn_cat-300x199.jpg
14KB, 300x199px
Hey /an/, I am a farmer and I know you faggot hippies are a bunch of tree huggers.
I have a major rodent problem. The question is should I use a lot of poison? Or get a bunch of barn cats (aka outdoor cats for you retards)?
Naturally I imagine the cats are the more green solution. What does /an/ think?
>>
>lying on the internet
>>
If you use poison, try to make it so nothing other than rodents can get to it, and use the safer poisons.
If you do cats, just please make sure they are all fixed.
>>
>>2282520
>I'm a farmer
>needs advice from hippies for pest control
Liar
>>
>>2282523
>>2282534
Samefag
>>
>>2282527
It seems like both suggestions serve to reduce the effectiveness of my killing methods.
On one hand, the it will take longer for the rodents to get poisoned.
On the other, my low test cats will be less able to kill the mice.
>>
File: What now faggot .png (144KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
What now faggot .png
144KB, 1440x2560px
>>2282537
Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks it's a bait thread.
>>
>>2282546
Nice inspect element.
>>
>>2282543
>low test cats won't kill the mice
Well you really are one of them inbred country retards
>>
>>2282551
Don't you have some kale chips to eat or something?
>>
>farmer
>not already having anti-pest procedures or equipment in place

Sounds legit.
>>
>>2282543
Neither of those things reduces your effectiveness. The poison just makes the leftover bodies less harmful. Neutering a cat doesn't make it a less capable hunter. if anything it'll help, because your cats will spend less time fucking and fighting each other.
>>
>>2282546
I think you are mistaken, it's just a notification.
>>2282555
On the off chance this isn't a troll thread
What is attracting all the mice?
>>
>>2282559
This. Farming shitposts doesn't make you a farmer.
>>
In the off chance this isn't a meme, barn owls.
Get a barn owl box
Literally just a box that you make/buy once and hope a barn owl takes up
Owls are far better than cats ant require no maintenance
>>
>>2282520
Shelters do have cats that need a barn. Usually they are friendly, but have a problem with escaping, not using the litter box, being too crazy for a home, getting too worked up and biting or nipping, etc. These cats are free because they need a very specific place to be and aren't suited for homes, and they just don't want to euthanize them. These cats come fully vaccinated and fixed (toms spray and it smells horrible), and believe me that is what you want. Much of my family owns farms (mostly livestock), and people tend to dump their unfixed cats at farms if they know about the farm. You should be glad that hasn't happened to you yet. Cats multiply fast and cause huge problems. Dead kittens in the walls of barns, cats spreading FIV and FeLV (easily preventable with a vaccine) and adult cats sneezing and shit, dying all over the place. If you have livestock, the rotting corpses can get them ill. If you're growing food for consumption and the cats are dying in the soil or shitting in there, it can make people very ill. Most of our crop was personal use or not for consumption so it wasn't an issue, just make sure cats didn't get into the greenhouse and that's it. Getting them fixed does not alter their ability to hunt, however they do need to be healthy, which means you do need to feed them. A starving cat is actually no better at hunting, and oftentimes worse, than one that is being fed. Hunting is largely a sport for all cats, even feral cats (feral cats only survive through human intervention) so being healthy and active is actually what you want out of a barn cat. If you aren't giving them food or water, cats will move and find a new home. The thing with cats is, you can't tell them what to hunt. You may get a cat that is more keen on hunting birds. But the mere presence of cats should at least scare some of the smarter rodents away. Don't expect a cat to get a lot done with a rat problem though.
>>
>>2282576
As far as poisons go, you have to be very careful with this especially if you have chickens; the chickens may eat the poison or the dead rodents who ate the poison, which will poison them too. If your problem is really as big as you claim, poison will never really get all or most of them, because rodents, especially rats, are smart and will learn to avoid it. Most rodent poison smells and tastes like peanut butter so it should be out of the way from dogs and kids. I've seen some cows eat birds and rodents before, so look into the poison and make sure it won't be able to take down your livestock. You do not want to do a mix of poison and cats, because now you will have all the downsides of poison (spreading poison to other animals unintentionally) and all the downsides of cats (dead, rotting, poison cats to clean up).

Some alternative ideas; is the rodent problem rats or mice? If rats, have you ever thought of buying a nice air rifle and a flashlight, and shooting whatever pair of eyes shine? It's pretty fun to do, down some beers and invite some friends and assuming you aren't a shit shot, it's honestly the most humane method I've gone over. Also, another option is to get a ratting dog; some working terrier that sniffs out, dislodges and kills rats. My brother has a Carin terrier/Yorkshire terrier mix that can hear them under floors and through walls, and even catches mice and voles on top of rats. That way you can train a dog to go after what you want it to go after, and retrieve the corpse for you too so you won't have to search for it. Only downside with a dog is, now you have to take care of a dog and it won't be on the job 24/7 like cats and poison would be.
>>
if mice, water bucket traps.
if rats, ratting dogs.
>>
>>2282520

>not using a bucket trap
>guaranteed kills and easy clean up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D47P1TgZ7ZE
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.