[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dog etiquette training tips? I have a four month old husky mix

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (485KB, 1500x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
485KB, 1500x1200px
Dog etiquette training tips?

I have a four month old husky mix who seems socially retarded.
When first meeting another dog she is extremely shy and tries to hide. If given long enough to get comfortable with a dog she becomes a rude pest. She'll jump on them, lick their face, bite their ears and won't back off even if they growl and snap at her. Twice now she's been bitten and blood was drawn. If a dog submits to her she takes it as a sign to get even rougher.

How the hell do I teach a dog to dog? If she acts like this when fully grown she is likely to start fights. I don't know how to show her that its unacceptable when other dogs can't even do that.
>>
working with a professional dog trainer with constant effort going into her behavior correction will be your best bet. she's still young, so she had plenty of time to learn, but this is the best time to get started. its partially to be expected since she's both a husky and a puppy - tons of energy and excitement - but its going to be a long time before that really fades out.
>>
>>2280902
*has plenty of time
>>
Sorry op. Sounds like your dog has the dog autism
>>
>>2280900

This kind of shit starts with you.

The dog is picking up on something you are doing and acting on your vibe. I don't mean that in some hippie bullshit way either.

Are you somewhat antisocial? Are you shy and then utilize social cues and mannerisms and dialogue as an excuse to abuse others?

Dogs tend to be an extension of their masters.

I could offer you a lot of advice but I don't know how you would act on it. I was essentially raised by a malamute and so much of the language is ingrained and people think I am "good with dogs".
>>
>>2280900

And fuck this trainer bullshit. It solves the problem as long as you work on it but its like counseling or therapy. It works to the degree that you engage it but ultimately your sanity depends on coping mechanisms and the fallout therein. Without the trainer the problems remain and you end up back in the same scenario until you are convinced enough to either shell out the cash for more therapy or training.
>>
>>2280900

The real answer is this. Engage the dog as a dog.

Here is a story.

I took my friend's German Shepherd out for a walk. I let it into the yard and retrieved the leash.The dog ran down the road into incoming traffic. I ran after and into the street screaming and waving my arms. I caught up to the dog and caught it by the throat and spoke firmly and beat it several times. I returned back with the dog on the leash and released it into the yard it had just run from and stood and stared. The dog cowed and crept to the corner of the yard and was afraid to look at me or move. I went to open the door to let it in the house and it would not come near me. I sat down on the ground and exposed my neck and gestured to the animal and it approached me. It sniffed and smelled and licked and I grabbed it and embraced it until it stopped shaking from the fear I instilled. I petted it several times and it relaxed and I took it for a walk.

After that it never ran from the yard when I let it out to wait for me. This only worked for me.

Training an animal is a responsibility that has to be measured. I didn't beat the animal out of frustration or anger. I hurt it to the degree I needed it to understand the extent of my displeasure with its actions. The animal does not know how to contextualize this unless I present it with the same scenario with respect to the lashing. Confusion and fear result from the pain inflicted but I must resolve this with respect to running from the yard without leave. Exposing myself by sitting on the ground and exposing my throat shows that the tension is resolved and the animal is able to resolve the issue. It doesn't understand that the street is bad but it does know that running from the yard without my permission is a bad time.

Other lessons abound but training starts in very simple ways. You cannot extend the dependency of your needs onto the creature. You have to approach it as an individual and a child and sometimes it is strange.
>>
>>2280900

With that in mind. My animals are relaxed because I am relaxed. They are free to do as they wish and they know I can be bullied for scraps of food or walks.

But this animal you describe? It sounds like it needs more exercise and time outside. These kinds of behavior manifest from a number of factors that result from pent up energy as result of being indoors and lack of socialization with other animals. Combine that with whatever contributions stem from your personality and potential issues and nothing is unclear.

Good luck with the dog.
>>
>>2280926
There is never an excuse to beat an animal. You are a shit person for letting go of the leash in the first place. The pet owner might not been good for not teaching the dog to not walk in the road but that was what the leash is for, you are just an outright shit person.
>This only worked for me.
Most likely only because you scare the fuck out of the dog and beat it. Only you were a shit human being.

Please never own pets and never touch your friend pets ever again. If your friend knew what you did he will most likely say the same, you are shit with animals. Watching an episode of dog whisper or whatever doesn't give you the right to go full retard and start punching animals.
>>
>>2280926
>approach a dog as an individual and a child
>beats dog

Ok
>>
>>2280926
lol that is not engaging the dog as a dog. you screamed at it and hit it. that will get your dog to obey, but out of fear, not loyalty and respect. if dogs fear you, they are likely to "snap" one day and attack their master, ending in the dog getting euthanized and the irresponsible owner not knowing why that happened

OP, I do agree that you should engage your dog as a dog, but not to beat the fucker. When my dog was a pup and teething I accidentally let it developed the habit of gnawing on fingers. I thought it was cute at first because he was a tiny little puppy and he never wanted to hurt me, it was always gentle. I though he would just outgrow it, but he still liked to chew on fingers when he was full grown and it became a game to him: "get the finger", which I knew was harmless but if someone doesn't know that when a full sized lab tries to put their hand in his mouth it could be a problem. So I bit back. I growled too. Never hard, but I let my dog know what it was like to be gnawed on and that it wasn't comfortable. Along with traditional positive reinforcement of giving him treats when he didn't try to go for my hand when we played, he learned not to bite when playing in about a month. I also like to act like a dog when I play with my dog, get on all fours, make dog sounds and imitate him. That's just for fun though
>>
>>2280911
newage pseudoscience: the post
>>
>>2280984
You...bit your dog? Wasn't that a scene in a shitty Disney comedy from the 2000s?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.