[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /an/, pls halp. I have a stray kitten (female) I adopted a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

Hi /an/, pls halp. I have a stray kitten (female) I adopted a couple months ago, she's about 4 or 5 months old. Today she was neutered. Vet told me to keep her resting and don't let her bite the stitches.
As soon as she got home and the anesthesia started to wear off, she went nuts - wanted to run around (but tripped herself), jump and all that. Vet told me that, if she started acting like that, I had to tie her down so she didn't harm herself, so I did - and she went crazy and almost choked herself with the collar. Those Elizabethan Collars are no good because she doesn't really touch the stitches, she's just hyperactive and I'm scared she'll hurt herself and open them if she starts jumping around. None of the surgery clothes I bought fit her (and I bought the smallest ones I could find), she got out of all of them. Every time I try to tie her up she just goes mad.
What do I do? Vet just says to find a way to keep her with the surgery clothes and don't let her harm herself, but doesn't tell me how the fuck to do that. Should I just untie her and ler her do her business, or she'll most definitely harm herself jumping on furniture?
Help.

TL;dr; female cat just got neutered and won't calm down, scared she'll end up harming herself and opening up her stitches. What to do?

Pic is her just before going to the surgery.
>>
And this is her curative patch, which bled out a little when she got home, thus why I'm so worried about her wanting to do cat things right now and not staying put with the surgery clothes.
>>
cage, retard
>>
>>2279595
Holy fuck don't tie up your animal. Where the fuck do you live, Japan?

>>2279618 has it right, put your kitty in a cage (dog crate) and keep the E-collar on. A medium size crate will work so you can fit a litterbox/food/water in it as well.
>>
>>2279596
It's fine. Post pics if you get worried, I'll attempt to monitor the thread.

Pretty much if it swells, starts to ooze, or turns RED red, then you have an infection and need to go to the vet again for antibiotics.

You can clean off that blood with hydrogen peroxide, it won't hurt your kitty. Also you'll be able to tell if there is active bleeding.
>>
>>2279622
Yeah, vet told me that, as I can't seem to remove the patch now I'll get some ether that removes them easily tomorrow so I can clean it properly and switch the patch
.>>2279621
Thought vet was crazy as well, so I was skeptical about tying her. Good thing I didn't.

I have her carrying baggy thing, don't really have a cage because I never really needed one for her and I've never had dogs. Will it do for tonight?
>>
>>2279622
Thanks, it hasn't really changed since she got here, so I believe it hasn't been bleeding actively. Hoping she won't have an infection, she's so stressed already.

So yeah, she seems to have calmed down for the night. I don't know what the vet did but the patch is so glued up to her skin and fur that I can't seem to try pulling it off without her screaming in pain, so I'll be buying an ether tomorrow at the pharmacy to get the patch off more easily so I can clean her up properly. But since she's mostly calm at the moment I figured it's best to just leave her be for now - or should I try pulling it off anyway?

>>2279621
As for the cone, I'm a bit worried about that because it just seems to make her doubly stressed and hyperactive and she isn't really pulling or biting the patch/stitches, I'm more worried about getting the surgery clothes to fit so I can protect the stitches from her cat activities.

I'll try finding an even smaller-sized cloth tomorrow to see if it stays put, but I'm not sure if I should spend 150$ on a dog crate I'll just use for a couple days or if the cat baggy will do for now.
Thanks for now!
>>
>>2279626
Just keep her in your bathroom. Remove all objects she can knock over. That way you can set up a litterbox, water bowl, and food bowl for her as well. The cat carrier won't allow for those things.

It's weird that your vet literally glued a patch to her skin, but I suppose that is to keep the area fairly clean. However, try some Betadine/Chlorhexadine/Iodine solution and water around the edges of the bandage to see if the patch is not just adhered to the skin due to leakage from the incision site.

Always keep the E-collar on. She may not lick at it now but the second you taken it off she might go right to it. Just had a surgery today where a cat tore open it's spay incision because of that.

There are cloth cones that you can get which work well for cat as they allow for more motion of their heads and less stress for them.
>>
>>2279638
Bathroom isn't really an option because the door to it has a span under it that she can go easily through - it was my first option, but not really viable because of that, and she also loves climbing on the toilet seat.

She didn't really glue it, but it's so stuck to her fur that she screams in pain if I try to pull on it, so I'll try the ether tomorrow to remove it painlessly and clean it to switch the patches.

& Will do the cone, then. She'll get so pissed off using both, damn. I wish she was a bit calmer about the patch, but as soon as I try to immobilize her to take it off she goes crazy and starts to thrash about and scream and I'm scared she'll hurt herself, so I stop. [spoiler]I'm so weak-hearted, damn[/spoiler]
>>
>>2279640
Alright, will another room in your house work, like a coatroom?

It sounds like the "patch" was used to cover a messy incision. Do the Betadine/Iodine + water solution tomorrow to see if you can get it off. Post picture if necessary. I won't be back until around this time, though.

No need to re-patch if she is on antibiotics. Stop being weak hearted, do you want to deal with this for a few days or deal with complications of a surgery incision because you, the owner, couldn't be bothered to follow instructions?
>>
>>2279647
There's the living room, where's she is at the moment, but every room in the apartment has things she can climb on. Living room is the less unsafe one, so she's there, sleeping at the moment.

The patch it's being used is the micropore one, one that is breath-through and the medication can be put over it (no need to take it off everytime you need to put antibiotics), so I think it would be better for me to keep using them so it's not as easy for her to bite the stitches off. Should I still leave it off once i clean it up or is it okay if I use the micropore ones?

Also I'm just scared I'll end up hurting her because she flails and thrashes about so much when I touch it.
>>
>>2279652
Just leave the patch on then and administer the antibiotics through it then. Follow the vet's advice; I misunderstood what type of covering was being used.

Don't worry, you won't end up hurting the cat. Look up scruffing videos on Youtube to see how to scruff your cat and administer treatments. Cats are big drama queens, never forget that.
>>
>>2279656
Should have figured that out when she cried so much when I was bathing her. Will leave her be for the night, then, and tomorrow will buy what I need to switch the patch properly and pray I can find a fitting surgery cloth for her. Do you think it's okay if I let her climb on low-height stuff like the sofa and such once the anesthesia wears off 100%, or too dangerous for the stitches?
Will post pics occasionally.
She's mostly a good cat, just crazy and mad because of the surgery.
>>
>>2279661
She's cute!

She can climb on low height stuff if that's the best you can do. No owner is perfect.
>>
>>2279665
I believe I can keep her off things if I watch her 100% of the time, but I do have to work and she just looks so sad without being able to do her cat things. She really likes the sofa. and the living room chair.
>>
>>2279671
Cats with cones = depressed, A depressed cat for a week isn't that bad. Just take cute pictures and shit.
>>
>>2279673
Not even worried about the cone, I think she'll end up adjusting if I just leave it on (plus it will be cute and funny), but not being able to climb on stuff and play and shit, she's just miserable.
>>
>>2279676
A miserable cat for a week is better than a dead cat forever. Grow some ovaries and follow what the vet said, even if it hurts your cats feefees
>>
>>2279595
Reeeeeeee! Give it Tylenol now! Reeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!
>muh study done on a very small island
Reeeeeeee! People enjoy different things! Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
>>
>>2279713
tg
>>
>>2279640

Don't try and remove the patch. If you feel desperately it needs replacing, ring the vet and discuss it with them. I'm a veterinary student, and honestly owners should just leave stitches the heck alone, I've not seen one yet they has caused more good than harm.

Honestly, you shouldn't be letting her climb on anything/be doing anything. She's just had pretty major abdominal surgery, and leaping around isn't going to help anything. Ideally you need to keep her as quiet as possible, keep her in a small room/crate and keep a collar on her so she can't fuss her wound site.

However, upon saying all of that, if you really feel she needs some sedation ring your vet and ask if they have anything they can give her to keep her calm for a day or two. You can also ask for some advice on how to manage her patches (I suspect it's a case of leaving it the heck alone), and recheck exactly what you need to do medication wise for her.

Did they not send you home with a care sheet?
>>
>>2279626
>listening to some dumbass on the internet instead of a registered vet
>>
>>2279638
>It's weird that your vet literally glued a patch to her skin, but I suppose that is to keep the area fairly clean

Isn't that extremely unsanitary? Wounds need to breathe. Trapping one so solidly is asking for an infection. They push out fluid and a little pus is normal. Itll just trap it in there.
>>
>>2279826
i had a 3rd degree burn and was supposed to keep it in this super expensive bubble bandage that sealed it off but didn't touch it, along with antibiotic burn cream

healed a lot better than i thought i was going to
>>
>>2279595
The best way to do this is to soak 1 cup of antifreeze in with her next meal. It works as a holistic remedy for pain and restlessness, so she should calm down afterwards.
>>
File: FrogChineseRestaurant.jpg (107KB, 1279x747px) Image search: [Google]
FrogChineseRestaurant.jpg
107KB, 1279x747px
>>2279595
hogtie it with shoelaces
>>
>>2279661
If you can't find a proper fitting surgery shirt, you could try cutting up a clean sock, or maybe a sleeve of a shirt you no longer use, maybe that will fit.
>>
Update here. She slept well through the night, anesthesia weared off already, but now she's mad and trying to take the patch off. Managed to take it out, clean it and switch it, as my vet recommended. However the patch doesn't seem to stick to her properly and she can take it off easily.

Off now to try and find a cone and a surgery cloth she can't take off because all she wants to do now is bite through her stitches.

Pic is her incision, vet said it looks okay - she made two stitches.
>>
Managed to rip an used shirt on her to cover the patch for now as I go out and try to find her medicine and shit. She is definitely not happy, but is eating, drinking and using the litter box fine.
>>
Another update, managed to get her fitting cloth and a cone. She's 100% mad, but I think this should protect the patch, right?
Vet told me to take the cloth off daily to put antibiotic on the incision (over the micropore), should I do so or should I just leave it? Also told me to keep her without the cone to see if the calms down with the cloth only, she seems okay so far, although mad and wanting to take the cloth off (but this time it doesn't come off).
New patch seems to have a little bit of blood again, but just a very small spot and she doesn't show signs of pain or discomfort.
>>
And for another update, she seems to have accepted the surgery cloth, but she now just gave up walking completely. She just lied down this afternoon and didn't leave her bed so far. Is this lethargy normal? She eats if offered food and doesn't show signs of sickness or extreme pain, but she doesn't want to get up and doesn't want to walk. She also occasionally howls, like these long meows filled with pain and sorrow. Doesn't seem feverish. That normal?
>>
>>2280021
>vet told me to do something
>better see what 4chan says about it.
>>
>>2280337
Third world country here, so we do have bad vets that make bad decisions - mine for example swears on her life that wet food is evil and is only there to make cats fat and sick. So I do enjoy getting second opinions when possible.
>>
>>2280312
she has a bunch of shit locked onto her and shes tired. I wouldn't feel like getting up after that either she will be fine.
>>
>>2280370
Good, I was worried it could be the start of an infection or a bad reaction to the antibiotics she's taking, but seems like she's just mad at her surgery clothes, so vet told me to just leave her be and wait for her to adjust. Just figured that she'd have done so by now, since it's been about 6 hours already, but I guess she's just stubborn as fuck.
>>
>>2279626
Please get a solid crate for the future, they are also much better for if you need to ever leave her at the vet or somewhere else. A cloth bag is harder to train that it's a "safe" place since you can't get them comfortable in there on their own.
You don't need a huge 150 dog crate for a cat, solid carrying cases tend to be 40-60 (if it's cheaper beware, might be less well made, I've seen some shitty ones).
You never know when you will need a secure location for your pet. There's been some amazing alternative advice in this thread, though. Keep caring for your kitty by seeking advice like this and I know she will have an amazing life! :)

As for the cone/clothing it seems unnessecary but if containing her in a small safe location isn't possible it's probably your best bet. She's likely only crying because of having to wear the thing+recovering from surgery. My boy cat basically slept for the next three days after his and the process is much easier on males.
>>
>>2279656
>>2279661

I've had poor results scuffing cats. It works while they are young but once they're larger I find it largely ineffective for the true squirmy drama queens. Personally, the best results for me have been using the method of securing the cat's body firmly in the same way you should a dog's.
I guess maybe it's easier for me since I have a lot of experience restraining larger, hyperactive dogs securely. I'm sure there are plenty tutorials and the like.
for example from google, http://www.thedogtrainingsecret.com/blog/dog-restraint-easy/
>>
>>2280387
Third world country in crisis here, cheapest decent create is unfortunately no cheaper than $100. But will definitely invest in one in the future! I do wish the cloth wasn't necessary, but as soon as I take it out she starts nipping at her stitches and I can't really restrain her 100% of the time.
>>
>>2280393
Isis is only about 4 or 5 months old, so I figured she'd be easy to restrain, but she flaps and thrashes way more than angry dogs I've seen. Holding her by the neck thing and restraining her back legs seems to have worked to clean her wound, though.
>>
>>2279632
You can keep the cone off as long as you are closely watching her, but I'm sure if she knew she could get away with it she would bite the fuck out of those stitches.

Also, if you need a cone in a pinch, get a paper plate and cut a + or an X in it big enough to go over her head
>>
>>2280581
I did get a fitting cone, but she acts even worse than with the cloth and the patch is unprotected from her cat activities, so I think the cloth b is safer than the cone so far
>>
And for another update, this is her incision today (surgery was tuesday). Seems pretty clean, but I'm a bit worried about the swelling in the middle - vet told me it's normal. She's eating, drinking and all just fine, so I don't think there are any signs of infection, but it looks a bit ugly I guess? Is that normal?
>>
Retarded me forgot pic.
>>
>>2281218
Brown spots are her antibiotics medicine, there are two stitches, and the middle is where I'm worried about the swelling - seems to be where it was bleeding from on days 1 and 2.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.