[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Almost two months ago I started a job at an animal shelter, so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8

Almost two months ago I started a job at an animal shelter, so let's get a bad owners/rage thread going. My stories are all pretty short and probably not very good, but this can be an infuriating job.

>anyone comes in to get a dog
>"which ones are already housetrained, don't shed, know all their commands, and are healthy?"

>guy comes in and adopts an already declawed cat
>brings it back less than 24 hours later because "It attacked me!"
>he held it and let a dog approach him and didn't let it go when it started growling so when it jumped out of his arms it scratched him with its back claws
>it attacked me

>anyone comes in to get a dog
>"if it chews my furniture we can bring it back right?"

>writes "planning on declawing" and "outdoor" on cat application
>(we are against both, but to even think to do both at once is retarded)
>>
>>2278361
Op as someone who has worked at a shelter for 3 years, it gets much, much worse than that.
>>
what's the protocol for returning adopted pets

i'm asking because i want to get a friend for my rabbit but i've heard horror stories

i'm willing to give it a few months but i don't want to have a pair or warring rabbits i have to keep separated for the next decade
>>
>senior woman comes in to see dogs
>were a small rescue so usually have around 6-8 dogs
>she's looking for a small lap dog
>introduce her to a very sweet toy poodle x, 4 years old, healthy, trained, cuddly
>no she's too old
We had nothing else to show her at that point and I'm glad for it. I understand wanting a younger dog, that's reasonable, but 4 years is NOT old at all for a toy breed. And this woman had to be in her late 60s/early 70s. What's going to happen to that dog when she dies before it does? Just annoying.

I also dislike people who complain about the adoption process...yes there's a home visit, and no you can't apply for a dog before it's officially available.
>>
>>2278366
I'm sure it will. This is still new for me so I'm still trying to get used to seeing it everyday. Got any stories for us?

>>2278380
It completely depends on where you get the rabbit from. You'll have to ask them.

>>2278394
Oh my god yes this all the time. Also people wanting to be put on lists for if we ever get a german shepard/pug/whatever purebred. These people think we have a few hundred seperate lists going for every kind and age of every animal.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161204-105704.jpg (254KB, 1091x757px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161204-105704.jpg
254KB, 1091x757px
>biking along an outdoor trail
>retarded pitbull bites my back wheel
>no leash
>he won't let go
>kick him with my shoe, no luck
>drive down small hill
>take the little shit with me
>he lets go and the owner flips shit
>calls police
>>
File: 20150903_131145.jpg (156KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
20150903_131145.jpg
156KB, 480x640px
>>2278380
It depends shelter to shelter, ask about their policy before adopting and let them know it's because you're worried about how the two rabbits will interact.

>>2278702
Oh boy, do I start at 11 or should I begin easy and work my way up?

Picture related, just a cat from a hoarding case. Not even the worst eye prolapse I've seen.

>>2278394
I do understand where some people come from; they feel like they absolutely need an animal, a connection I have removed myself from. However, people will find a reason to bitch about anything. Place I was at only required a state issued ID to adopt (so we can make sure you were not convicted of an animal related crime) and people STILL give you bullshit over just that.
>>
>>2278380
Just eat the new one if the dont get along . Its a rabbit.
>>
>hick dude comes in wanting a 10 month old pit/rottie cross named charlie
>is already bitching about having to fill out a questionnaire before meeting the dog that takes literally 3 minutes
>fills it out, looks average and no red flags so far
>says he lives alone and has no other pets
>meets the dog in a yard, everything is fine
>through talking to me he lets it slip that he actually lives with his girlfriend and her two chihuahuas
>youfuckinliar.jpeg
>I tell him that they have to come down here to meet Charlie because any human or dogs in the household must meet the new dog before adoption
>throws a bitch fit again but agrees after calming him down
>this tacky ass bottle blonde camo hat bedazzled blue jeans fake lips bitch walks in with the two chihuahuas on gaudy bedazzled pink collars
>try to introduce the dogs to see how they get on
>immediately the chihuahuas are lunging at the ends of their leashes and snapping at Charlie and snarling at him
>"oh they're just spunky!" she says when one of them goes for his face
>every time he tries play bowing or sniffing them they growl and snap at him
>they sit on the girl's lap and anytime he walks by they guard her and lunge at him
>he keeps trying to play with them because he's a fucking puppy
>every time they just want to absolutely fuck him up
>she makes a comment implying they're even more protective in the home
>try to break it to them gently that they need to get their rats under control before getting another dog
>they're lunging at him even as I'm saying this
>the dude fucking looks at me and says, "no, they just need time to work it out" AS HE DROPS THE LEASHES
>they immediately run at Charlie and latch into his face
>he's screeching and flailing and doesn't know what to do
>I literally grab the chihuahuas and try pulling them off of him
>my coworker hears me yelling and comes in the yard to help
>finally get them off of him
>1/2
>>
>>2279173
>2/2
>my patience is fucking gone and I just tell him that he should leave because we unfortunately do not feel comfortable adopting out ANY animal to him after this
>he fucking rages and goes on a rant saying "all of his dogs growing up were like that and it was fine" and that "you just have to grab them by the neck and force them onto the ground when they do that"
>keeps ranting about how "us humane society people are pussys about dogs"
>screams that I don't know what I'm doing
>starts interrogating me about my work history and where I went to school and the experience I have
>tries taking a photo of me to post on our Facebook with a review about how horrible we are
>says he "can't believe a little bitch girl is saying he can't have a dog"
>have to threaten to call the police to get him to leave
>he leaves but his gf comes back and cusses out the front office in front of the whole lobby
>the customers in the lobby basically gang up saying to get her inbred redneck ass out the door
>helped clean up Charlie and he needed antibiotics for a bit cause their teeth were nasty as hell
>got adopted a week later by a really nice dude who runs with him almost daily

people suck. they just.. fucking suck
>>
>>2278361
Good every cat should be declawed.

Invasive pest
>>
>>2279181
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
No
>>
>>2279179
This story made me rage. I hope he's never allowed back.

>>2279181
Anyone who is going to declaw or states that they're going to let the cat outside is denied the animal.

Had some lady send her 10 year daughter in by herself yesterday with her new kitten bundled in a blanket because her spay stiches opened and got infected. The kitten was put down. The mother didn't supervise the child with the cat at all and she played with her too rough, causing the stiches to open.
>>
>>2279181
>>2279294
We deny for declawing too, but not right away. If someone puts that they would declaw the animal we don't immediately go at them for it and just kinda talk to them first to see how much they actually know. The vast majority of times people are just simply ignorant and if you calmly explain what declawing is said the consequences of the animal's quality of life, they are horrified and will ask you about alternatives. My close friend is our cattery manager and she's only had to deny 3 people for potentially declawing after giving them the talk in the 2 years she's been manager. But then again I live in a pretty progressive area that has a strong "pet culture" so that could be it too.

>outdoor cats
I wish we denied for this. Since outdoor cats are legal in the county and everyone does it we can't realistically deny for it and expect to move enough cats to ever have space. It's more circumstantial though, like if it's a kitten or older cat and/or medical issues

>rage
Yeah, I just felt bad for Charlie when he didn't even fight back. That dog didn't have a mean bone in his body
>>
>>2278361
Story from the other side, not particularly directed at anyone but just venting about my "adoption" experience

>Wanting to get a bird, do months of research and talking to people online
>Everyone and their grandmother says to adopt from a shelter, to not support breeders and give a home to a bird that needs it
>No actual bird shelters in state, ended up contacting probably 20 different places when everything was said and done
>Always denied to various combination of reasons
>Aren't resident of shelter's state? Denied
>No one willing to drive from the next state over (about 1.5 hours in this case) for a home check? Denied
>No prior experience owning birds? Denied
>Single guy? Denied

I eventually find out about a somewhat local cockatiel breeder, had a meet and greet, and a week later gave him $60 for a bird.
And then some bird people wonder why in the world I would ever support a breeder instead of adopting from a shelter.
>>
>>2279366
The problem with the whole shelter thing is supply and demand. Don't get me wrong, there is a ton of shelter animal supply. But that supply is generally in a place where demand is low and supply is over-saturated. Your experience, for instance; if they were flooded with birds, they wouldn't have the option to be more picky. But since I bet only a few shelters had a few birds (there wasn't even a bird specific rescue shelter), they could be as choosy as they want about the adopters, assuming they were not running out of places for birds anytime soon.

In just Florida there are over 20 bird specific rescues, I stopped counting after a point. In Montana there are next to none. Shelters are trying to do something about it, mainly with dogs; Shelters down south have an abundance of hound dogs and puppies, which get brought up north to other states that don't get as many puppies or many hounds. Ironically enough, the southern states is into their pit bull type dogs, and while that would be a perfect trade off, it's not as big of a thing to go to a shelter to adopt a pet as it is in pit bull heavy areas, and the deep south don't usually spay and neuter, nor want to, so there's litter reason to adopt. I've seen it done small scale with cats but not smaller critters unfortunately.
>>
I worked at a shelter for a while in the animal intake department. Usually heart wrenching work, and it's where all the weirdos worked. Great memories.

>teenage girl comes in with 2 chihuahuas
>i adopted these 2 hours ago but my mom says i can't have them
>good work on verification, adoption department

>opening one morning
>check the night drop off kennels
>find dead turkey
>other things found in night drop off kennels in the morning: lots of snakes, a raccoon, lots of roadkill, a very pissed off macaw

>hobo comes in, shopping cart of crap and all
>looking for lost cat
>state law requires proof of ownership before allowing people to look at our recently acquired animals
>it's a fucking hobo
>says he dropped it off himself in the night kennel so he'd stay warm one cold night
>our hearts open, let him look
>finds cat
>already neutered
>enraged hobo spits on floor, calls us criminals and leaves without cat

>several cases of people getting arrested due to animal abuse. an animal control officer is always on duty

>guy wants to drop off a cute mutt
>asks if we vaccinate
>of course
>says 'no thanks' and leaves with mutt
>>
>>2279366
>>2279372
I'm really sorry that was your experience, but it's also true that supply and demand is at the heart of it. Same reason rescues that only take purebreds (or almost purebreds) of desirable breeds have the luxury of being pickier than shelters that take in all stray mutts. I work at a last chance shelter and a few times we have adopted out animals to people who really were not ideal because honestly, no one else wanted them and it was getting to the point of either letting them go home with that person or euthanasia. when my friend who works with a pug rescue told me how much they charge for dogs and how picky they get to be I couldn't believe it. the difference is crazy.

>>2279380
>>guy wants to drop off a cute mutt
>>asks if we vaccinate
>>of course
>>says 'no thanks' and leaves with mutt
People like this are fucking ridiculous

>get in two goldendoodles that were running loose on the road
>kinda underweight and unfixed
>follow standard protocol giving them dewormer+flea control+vaccinations before putting them in the kennel
>owner comes by later that day to claim them
>she goes into an unholy rage when we tell her that gave them a full intake exam
>tells us that "we are killing her dogs"
>get worried and ask if her dogs have a history of negative vaccine relations
>"NO, BUT YOU EVIL CORPRATE VETS ARE INJECTING MY BABIES FULL OF POSION"
>"MY DOGS ARE BREEDING SHOW QUALITY I CANT BELIEVE YOU'D DO THIS TO THEM"
>no they fucking aren't you idiot
>"IF MY DOGS DIE BECAUSE OF THE POSION YOU GAVE THEM I AM SUING EVERY ONE OF YOU"
>areyoukiddingme
>get to tell her that legally the dogs need to have current rabies vaccines and be licensed to leave our facility
>she refuses
>tell her lol ok we're not releasing them to you then
>she finally agrees and bitches the whole time
>as she leaves with them she is actually crying

tfw hippie owners like her not vaxxing their dogs are why parvo is a huge issue in my state and why so many dogs are dying from it
>>
>>2279408
Just about every fucking adoption I do is not ideal. That's life of a first come, first serve crowded city shelter
>>
>>2279179
fucking retards man.

Are Chihuahuas always like that?
>>
>>2279431
Of course not. There are a lot of them who act like that because many people adopt them without the mindset that a chihuahua is still a DOG. A dog that needs to be trained as a dog and not as a hamster.
>awww, he's barking and acting aggressively towards other dogs! he thinks he's big :3
>>
I breed rats as a hobby. I am never in a hurry to find homes for them, so I can be pickier about who adopts. There is the occasional idiot who comes along though

>lady emails me wanting to adopt a rat for her son
>just one rat, not two
>this was before I started only adopting them out in pairs
>ask her if she has experience with them and has the supplies needed
>says the rat is for her son
>her son is 8
>says he is an excellent pet owner
>sure he is
>ask her if she has a cage for the rat
>sends me a link to an amazon page
>mfw it's a fucking gerbil cage
>tell her the cage is too small
>she says it isn't
>send her a link to a forum page discussing the proper size cage a rat needs
>she tells me that I only care about money and that I don't care about the rats
>I told her the rats were free in the first email
>says she will report me for discrimination because her son has autism
>ok
>doesn't respond
>a few months later I have another litter
>she emails me again, not know it is the same person
>now her son is 12
>now she has one of those giant ferret cages
>ask her how her son went from being 8 to 12 in 5 months
>no response
>>
>>2279312
Wait im confused, outdoor cats is a bad thing? We have several cats and they are outdoor and indoor, take good care of them they just love being out.
>>
>>2279459
It's only bad if they leave your property
>>
>>2279068
Kek
>>
>>2279460
All good then
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
>>2278361
>>anyone comes in to get a dog
>>"which ones are already housetrained, don't shed, know all their commands, and are healthy?"
>>anyone comes in to get a dog
>>"if it chews my furniture we can bring it back right?"

Oh no, they're being up-front about what they want. So terrible.
>>
>>2279529
It's a retarded request. All dogs shed, and no dog will know "all their commands"
>>
>>2279536

so do you explain that to them?
>>
>>2279459
Congrats on destroying the ecosystem asshole.
>>
>talking to friend of a friend, start talking about Easter
>me: I really hate people who adopt rabbits as Easter presents for their kids and then ditch them a month later because they don't realize that rabbits live longer than 3 months and that they can bite, scratch, and kick hard, especially if they're mishandled.
>him: Oh yeah, my parents got us a rabbit one year. He was called Mr. Happy the Easter Bunny!
>me: What happened to him?
>him: Oh, I don't know. I think we just released him into the wild because he shit everywhere.
He thought it was amusing that I cared, and argued with me, saying rabbits can totally live outside in winter. It was the kind you get at the pet store.
>>
>>2279569
Oh, Lord. Reminds me of my cousin. She was gifted a pet rabbit for Easter. She was PISSED that it didn't lay eggs with treats in them year-round. Thankfully, her parents weren't morons and made her keep the thing and learn some responsibility by taking care of it.
>>
>>2279312
OP here, Our declawing policy is the same. I wish we had a lie detector, sometimes you can tell when they're agreeing to shut you up, but not much you can do if they don't write declaw on the app. Can't deny just in a hunch.
>>
>>2279539
Oh man...
Not every countries ecosystem will be destroyed by outdoor cats, especially not the countries with lower population density than America. Please, stop being a fucking moron.
>>
>>2278361
>declawing

Literally illegal in the UK, as is all cosmetic animal surgery (which includes removing the scent glands of skunks, which i don't think is that bad desu)

Outdoor cats are normal though. Pretty much everyone has outdoor cats. You're seen as weird if you keep it inside. I even have outdoor cats. Our last one lived till the age of 22 and at the end only went out in the summmer to sleep in the sun on the garden table.
>>
>>2279459
>>2279869
>>2279873
From a stray-intake perspective, outdoor cats are a pain in the ass

>have to waste our time and money housing outdoor owned cats since we have no way of knowing if they're stray or not just for the owner to claim them and act like it's totally normal
>owners not wanting to pay fees for the medical care we provided for the cat that they just left outside
>issues around adopting out owned outdoor cats that the owner didn't immediately claim so we assume they are stray
>people that are suprised when the adult cat they just adopted didn't come back when they let them loose outside
>people expecting us to provide medical care to the cat they adopted and let get injured outside even though we aren't a clinic
>many times just say "forget it" once they realize they will have to seek actual vet care
>all of the cats that people come in wailing filling out lost reports for when they're the ones who left their cat outside in the first place
>have to process DOAs for the city and half of them are people's outdoor cats that became roadkill
>"we just never thought it would happen to OUR cat?? She always stays close!!!"
>watch them cry over their pancake cat in our intake room then almost immediately after want to know about kittens up for adoption
>tfw the same thing is going to happen to their new cat
>just generally seeing what being outside alone like that can do to a cat

Fuck letting your cat run around outside for no reason. It's a pain in the ass just because people think their cat "needs" to go outside when they don't. Thank god we can at least deny kitten and medical needs adoptions to people that would have them live partially outdoors
>>
>>2279911
>watch them cry over their pancake cat in our intake room then almost immediately after want to know about kittens up for adoption

I've always wondered why they pretend to give a shit and then go and get another pet to neglect minutes later..
>>
>>2279873
Outdoor cats aren't only "normal" because cat owners are irresponsible.
>>
>>2279873
>declawing is costnetic

There's nothing cosmetic about declawing. Declawing is useful because cats are destructive and violent, also desu the best solution would just to be not to get a shitty cat in the first place.
>>
>>2279913
It's honestly sickening. Most of the time I can convince them to at least wait a few days before making a decision, but how quickly some of them decide NAH I just wanna buy a new kitten to treat like a toy until they're smashed on the road is horrible. We do get in kitten DOAs too. One time it was a 5 month old kitten that this family only had for two months. And they immediately left our facility (didn't want the body and told us to deal with it) and got a kitten from some person on CL. When they came back in to look at dogs one day they told me all this like it was totally normal and I wanted to puke. Thank god they didn't actually try to get a dog that day

>>2279916
you're not a very good troll. Declawing is a completely unneeded medical procedure for the convenience of the lazy owner. That's what cosmetic means in this context
>>
>>2279921
Cats are violent and destructive "pets", declawing is needed to make them someone tolerable, so no, it's not cosmetic.

But like I said, if you want a tolerable pet you shouldn't get a cat anyway. They really shouldn't be pets at all.
>>
>>2279922
Somewhat* not someone
>>
>>2279537
Not that anon, but usually when I explain non-shedding, hypoallergenic, or any kind of largely known misinformation, many people will just say "no", or tell me I'm wrong. You can only do so much for people. By the time they are old enough to adopt a dog themselves, most people are already far too set in their ways to think about things differently.

>>2279569
Rabbit influx for the shelter I'm at comes around in the summer, roughly 4 months after easter. Coincidentally, also around the time they stop being adorable bunnies and begin to sexually mature.

>>2279571
To be fair, I'd be pissed if someone gave me a living gift I didn't want and then forced me to keep it.

>>2279873
The RSPCA is a joke; they only adopt cats out to people who have a cat flap and are able to let their cats outdoors, yet they had to euthanasia nearly half of their healthy stock. I guess dying in a shelter is better than living in a home.

>>2279911
Holy fuck this, except last year only 2% of stray cats found their homes, and we have to keep them for 5 days to a fucking week. That's a minimum of 5 days clogging up our cages, 5 days to become stressed out and sick with URI so they can spend 2 more weeks clogging up the sick bay, 5 days to spread whatever ungodly diseases they are carrying to the healthy cats, 5 days worth of food and litter and work, just so when we test them to see if they are adoptable and find out they have FIV or FeLV and have to put them down anyways.

And the fucking feral cats. I hate it when people bring in fucking feral cats. There is no easy way to get a feral cat out of a carrier, laundry basket, trash can, whatever the fuck they brought it in.
>>
>>2279921
>lazy cat owner

what is the opposite of oxymoron?
>>
>>2279974
You're right, I was being redundant.
>>
>>2279922
>Cats are violent and destructive "pets"
You must've never had a cat or have been a shitty cat owner then.
>>
>>2280026
I don't have pests in my house. I've known many people who do though.
>>
>>2279869
so just a few countries ecosystems? on, nevermind, it's all good then. idiot.
>>
>>2280030
Then you know many shitty people and/or are too autistic to interact with a cat in a way that it doesn't perceive you as a threat
>>
File: 550w_madonna_and_vanilla_ice.jpg (150KB, 550x753px) Image search: [Google]
550w_madonna_and_vanilla_ice.jpg
150KB, 550x753px
>>2279921
wow you're a faggot. Everyone I know lets their cats go outside and keeping your cat indoors 24/7 is considered unusual or even neglectful.

~rural australia
>>
>>2280343
>shit tier country lets its pets roam unattended

Surprise, surprise.
>>
>>2280189

>walking on eggshells constantly to please your animal overlord
>"I-I'm sorry, master! Please stop scratching me; I didn't mean to walk near you/look at you/think about you!"
>>
File: rMrtbu5.png (56KB, 919x737px) Image search: [Google]
rMrtbu5.png
56KB, 919x737px
>>2280343
this is bait
>>
>>2280383
I have NEVER had a cat randomly attack me. Once again, maybe you're the one who sucks with them
>>
>>2280343
>~rural Australia
found the problem
>>
>>2280390

Because it knows you have been pacified. There is no glory in fighting an enemy that had already been defeated.
>>
>>2279958
>The RSPCA is a joke; they only adopt cats out to people who have a cat flap and are able to let their cats outdoors

Is the catflap thing an actual requirement they have? What the fuck?

But yeah in the UK it really is seen as normal to have outdoor cats.

Pretty much everyone down my old road had outdoor cats. Apart from 1 guy who had a munchkin cat that he didn't let out without supervision because stump legs.
>>
>>2279916
Removing skunk scent glands isn't cosmetic either but its classed as such in UK law.
>>
File: 1480858336927.jpg (12KB, 236x329px) Image search: [Google]
1480858336927.jpg
12KB, 236x329px
>>2279179

Bummer, good end.
I work at a coffee shop and a bad customer only comes by every so often - but thankfully our interaction is limmited to 2 min and only over a 3 dollar drink

Having to judge somebody's character as to home an animal successfully must be nerve racking
>>
>work at shelter
>part of our charities is offering low cost euthanasia for people who can't afford to put their animal down
>unfortunately, as part of the program, the animal can be euthanized for any reason, no questions asked
>man comes tearing in the parking lot in a bright red pick up
>has a dog loose in the bed
>I go out to meet him to give him a leash since he had none
>he starts yelling at me over shit I don't control
>he's yanking at the dog's leash
>"This dumb fucking dog won't shut the fuck up, I want you to kill it for free"
>keeps calling it mongrel, mutt, fuck, etc
>he's going off on a rant about how shitty this shelter is, how shitty his dog is, etc
>stand and nod
>silently watch while his dog lifts his leg and starts pissing on the man's pants
>don't say a word
>take the dog from him to euthanize him
>hurry him inside
>man notices what happens, and starts to swear
>runs towards me, winding up for one last kick on the dog
>I close the door and he bashes his foot along the metal
>"You fucking shithead! This is a brand new pair of dickies you fuck! I have to go back to work in these dickhead"
>tfw dog got the last laugh at the end of it all
Still had to euthanize him though.
>>
>>2280478
>But yeah in the UK it really is seen as normal to have outdoor cats
UK cats also have crazy high mortality rates. Just because it's common doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

>>2280513
It really is, but most people who are shitty owners are also stupid as hell so it's easy to pick up the red flags once you've been doing it for a bit. It's why it's helpful to just chat with adopters about anything animal related, that's usually how things slip out that they didn't put on the application. It's how I found out that this older couple was planning on letting a deaf, blind, 11 year old shih tzu wander around farmland unsupervised wearing a shock collar.

Unfortunately where I live has had a problem recently of people going to shelters to try and adopt large dogs that aren't good with other dogs to use in mobile fighting rings, especially pitbulls. They've also been kidnapping dogs off the street to use as bait dogs. Manager essentially told us to deny anyone who gives us a bad feeling or acts weird about giving us their personal info or is a little too interested in dogs like that. Really sucks it has to be like this right now
>>
>>2280567
Damn.
You guys couldn't make a judgement on the behaviour of a dog and decide if it could be adopted out instead of being killed?
>>
>>2280594
Legally not allowed to. Vets have done that before and lost their license. We are providing a service, and if we get donations for said service and don't preform them, that is incredibly fraudulent. We used to actually do it but word got out and it was a shit show.

Most we can do is highly advise other options like adoption, it is up to the owner for the final decision.
>>
>>2280481
You shouldn't need to anyways. If you get sprayed, you did something wrong and need to learn a lesson
>>
>>2279087
:c poor kitty
>>
>>2279068
>dogfags will defend this
>>
>Friend gets a puppy, it's a cute, well-trained, quiet little poodle-mix
>Only about five months old
>She hadn't talked about getting a dog so I was quite surprised
>It turns out that the dogs previous owner had been a bit of a basket-case
>After his wife left him he flipped out, left the puppy locked up alone and crying in the laundry for three days with no food or water so the neighbors had broken in to save it
>When he came back they asked him if they could have the dog and he said no, that it was his dog
>A few weeks later the police showed up at his house
[spoiler]>He'd slit his wrists and died several days ago[/spoiler]
[spoiler]>Once again he hadn't left his puppy food or water[/spoiler]
[spoiler]>It had survived by eating him[/spoiler]
>>
>>2280775
Forgot spoilers don't work here, damnit
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (72KB, 1034x662px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
72KB, 1034x662px
>find a kitten outside that is pretty badly injured
>take him to an emergency animal hospital
>vet does an x ray, says it was likely a victim of abuse because of older, healed wounds, including his front right arm fused at the joint from being broken and healing like that
>choose not to fix his leg, vet says it doesn't seem to hurt him and it may not heal right anyway
>is fucking terrified of humans, but he slowly warms up to me after a period of months
>grows from hiding under furniture to being ecstatic to see me and my mom when we get home from work
>mom decides to let him outside "because he wouldn't stop begging"
>tell her we shouldn't do that, she says he's too bored at home with his toys
>tell her we should at least get him neutered if she must let him out
>she refuses, saying that all the vets will make him get his rabies and distemper shots which will make him sick (she is an anti vaxxer)
>finally just drop him off at the vet's overnight without telling her, pay for shots and neutering myself
>tell her he just must have run off again and that he came back when she was at work
>takes her weeks to notice his balls are missing, but she just keeps letting him outside
>have a panic attack every time she lets him out, worrying he will be hit by a car
>finds out I got him neutered, flips out, screaming that she "knew something was off, that those vaccines made him sick"
>forces homeopathic remedies like rattlesnake venom down his throat twice a day to "counteract the vaccine injuries"
>I try to explain that he probably kills a lot of wildlife including birds, especially because we have so many bird feeders in our backyard, it's like a death trap
>says she read that study and it's bullshit, just like studies that show vaccines don't cause autism
>she finally sees him run in front of a truck and almost get hit, and decides he shouldn't be outside
Anti vaxxers are terrible human beings.
>>
>>2280794
Anit-vaxxers are fucking retarded. Not every single vaccine causes autism, only the MMRV has been linked to autism and only if it is given to kids on time, even a few months past due date makes a big difference. Not every vaccine is going to kill everything.
>>
>>2280794
She's obviously an idiot, but it has more to do with her being a cat owner. The toxoplasmosis got her.
>>
>>2280794
Anti vaxxers are casing a lot of public health issues and don't even realize it. I live in a state that is now having major parvo outbreaks and kennels full of extremely severe kennel cough because there are so many retarded owners not vaccinating their animals. It's disgusting. These are diseases that shouldn't be this much of a problem anymore.
>>
>>2280598
Oh makes sense from a business aspect. Super lame in terms of ethics. Poor pups
>>
>>2280797
>MMRV
>linked to autism

oh wait you're serious let me laugh even harder
>>
>>2280841
People who refuse to listen to reality are causing public health issues because Americunts believe a deluded strain of individualism that basically states you get to create your own reality for yourself and ignore everyone else's logic because you're you and that means you're special!!!!!!!

So when problems arise from this conflict with reality, they cognitively shut down and dissociate themselves from any connection to the bad result. Sometimes they resort to alcohol to numb the dissonance away. It's never their fault, though.
>>
>>2280343
Same in the northern colonies.

Outside of the cities people keep cats to keep rodents down. Very farm or acreage has a few that live in shops or machine sheds. If you were a guy who owned a strictly indoor cat for companionship you would be assumed to be gay.
>>
I have more of anti vaxxer cat mom if y'all innerested.
>older cat has become skinny and isn't eating
>take her to the vet
>"She has hyperthyroidism. You can either give her medicine for the rest of her life twice a day to slow down the illness; give her surgery, which probably won't help; or, you can pay $1000 for a shot of radioactive iodine to break down all of the tumors in her body. This will cure her, but there is a small chance you may need to do it again."
>mom hears the word radioactive and immediately assumes it will kill the cat with radiation poisoning and cancer
>hears someone mention that their cat "died of insanity in its litterbox" after the treatment and says it will happen to our cat
>goes to 5 different vets
>every time she enters it goes like this. Vet: Yes, this bloodwork does confirm hyperthyroidism. (explains options) Her: No, you're wrong! Native Americans lived for thousands of years on plant and homeopathic medicine. I just need to give the cat more vitamins and she will be fine!
>storms out dramatically
>finally finds some homeopathic vet in Canada, pays her $300 an e-mail to confirm what she wants to hear
>cat is also covered in fleas, but she won't give her anything for it because she's convinced it will damage her kidneys or some stupid shit
>finally get her to listen to the 6th vet long enough to prescribe Cheristin
>meticulously checks every link in twelve pages of "cheristin bad effects death" (I checked her search history)
>finds an anonymous blog post that talks about how Cheristin paralyzes fleas, so it must paralyze cats, too
>goes on a rant about how I am going to kill the cat and I just want an easy way out from the fleas
I don't care. I'm putting that shit on the cat when she's gone this weekend.
>>
>>2280962
I should start charging people $300 so I can tell them bullshit.
>>
>>2280964
Here's some of the stupid shit she linked me to to back up her claims.
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/AnimalWellness/Petvacc
>Dr. Charles E Loops DVM - "The first thing that must change with routine vaccinations is the myth that vaccines are not harmful. Veterinarians and animal guardians have to come to realize that they are not protecting animals from disease by annual vaccinations, but in fact, are destroying the vitality and defense systems of these same animals they love and care for. Homeopathic veterinarians and other holistic practitioners have maintained for some time that vaccinations do more harm than they provide benefits. Vaccinations represent a major assault on the animal's immune system.... Vaccine induced chronic diseases range from life-threatening conditions such as auto-immune crises to conditions destroying the quality of life of an animal as in chronic skin allergies."
There is too much retarded shit on this page alone to greentext.
>>
>>2280974
JESUS. Do these same people disbelieve in deworming puppies too? Do the they really want predominantly preventative diseases to gain traction again? FFS. Sorry your mom is weird af.
>>
>>2280861
But anon you're a perfect example of autism as a result of mmrv
>>
>>2280775
that dog is either an anithero or a supervillain, only time will tell
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.