[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What dogs are best for hunting, but also good with small children,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 10

File: IrishWolfhoundFrankBrendan.jpg (136KB, 350x485px) Image search: [Google]
IrishWolfhoundFrankBrendan.jpg
136KB, 350x485px
What dogs are best for hunting, but also good with small children, preferable on the larger side? My favorite breed is the Irish Wolfhound but the health problems and short lifespan are a big concern, especially considering the price.
>>
labrador, obvs
>>
GSP or lab.
>>
Most of my experience is around boar hunting but ive owned a few bird dogs too.
Catahoulas are my preferred hunting dog. They push a hundred pounds.
Bull Arab dogs are pretty good with kids too.
Apbt's make good boar dogs and are excellent dogs around children. But it sounds like you want a bigger dog than that.
Danes are badass when trained right. Fairly gentle creatures towards humans. They tend to forget their size though.
In all reality any really big dog is not going to be the greatest around small children. They can be the most gentle dog in the world, but their size alone will know little kids down.
>>
>>2278044

Why do you want to hunt children?
>>
>>2278052
Why do you write like you're from reddit?
>>
>>2278052
>also
Check your reading comprehension.
>>
File: pit_1.jpg (132KB, 1201x1223px) Image search: [Google]
pit_1.jpg
132KB, 1201x1223px
>>2278044
You want a pitbull, OP.
>>
Standard Poodle or Labrador.
>>
File: 1.jpg (127KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
127KB, 1024x1024px
>>2278044
Whippet.
>>
File: pupppic3.jpg (94KB, 736x493px) Image search: [Google]
pupppic3.jpg
94KB, 736x493px
Are Chessies /an/ approved?
>>
Deustch Drathaars are the best bird dogs. No question about it.
>>
>>2278322
Do these also hunt big game? What are good dogs to hunt deer, etc.
>>
Weinaraner. seriously. SUPER smart and easily trainable bird and companion dogs.
>>
>>2278044
depends on what you're hunting and how you want your dog to assist.

my uncle trained a pomeranian to be a hunting dog, and mostly what he did was retrieve birds and flush out smaller game.
>>
File: back from a succesful hunt.jpg (258KB, 921x960px) Image search: [Google]
back from a succesful hunt.jpg
258KB, 921x960px
>>2278044
>needing a dog to hunt
>step up your game
>>
>>2278167

Terrier over whippet is pretty good.
>>
Get a lurcher bro

Catching and killing animals is bred into them, no training needed, but if raised properly they will retrieve shot game, flush decently and scent a blood trail.

They're excellent family dogs, they have a very good concept of on/off and can give you 7 days in the field or be happy curled up on the rug in front of the fire with kids bothering it. Most lurchers are good watchdogs, and will definitely make a big fuss if anyone comes onto your property when they're not supposed to. Very gentle with kids, intelligent, loyal and pretty dogs.

Irish wolfhounds are useless for hunting, they're bred for appearance not utility. If you're taken on the appearance, deerhound from certain strains are still somewhat useful.

Pic related are my two waiting for the ferrets to bolt a rabbit, darker stands 26 tts, lighter 23
>>
>>2278471
>that cold, dead look in his eyes
He knows the atrocities he's committed will haunt his dreams and this fleeting moment of joy will be for naught
>>
>>2278643

They still require alot of training to teach retrives, jumping and to stock proof them... you get out of dogs what you put into them.
>>
Weim. Chessie.
>>
>>2278643
Can't believe I've never heard of this breed, thanks!
>>
>>2278643
>>2278967
Where the fuck do you find these?
>>
>>2278967
>>2278972

You breed them, theyre greyhound crosses.
>>
>>2278977
Technically they're sighthound crosses not just greyhounds. And they're crossed with anything, most commonly BC or spaniels of some sort. A lot of them get crossed with terriers to increase gameness. Wonderful dogs. I hope to own a few someday. Coursing is an absolute hoot to watch.
>>
>>2278977
Are there any breeders you can go to or did you breed them yourself?
>>
File: Bloodborne_dog.jpg (579KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne_dog.jpg
579KB, 1920x1080px
>>2278044
Away! Away!
>>
>>2279842
There's tons of lurcher rescues out there. Google it.
>>
File: 20160628_123309.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160628_123309.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
If you're struggling to find a lurcher in the US, look towards people that breed staghounds if you know of anyone with them, they might be able to source a litter for you.

>>2278984
Sighthound crosses are longdogs, any good lurcher is going to have grey as a base, using saluki as a base isn't going to work out because they're used for coursing, and in that case you'd go for a pure saluki or a pure grey or a salukixgrey, which is a longdog, not a lurcher.

You don't really use spaniels in lurcher blood, you don't want it to have the flushing desire too strong or it won't notice an animal bolting while it's nosing around in cover. The body type of a spaniel is also undesirable in a lurcher, the legs would be too short and the dog would be too stocky depending on how it threw to the spaniel blood.

The only instance I know of crossing a terrier into lurcher blood is bedlingtons or terrierxwhippet, and in both cases they're still mainly used as rabbit dogs but they have the added benefit of a thick coat. For gameness on fox or deer you'll want to have pit blood or farm collie blood or both.

>>2278832
Jumping and stock proof is something you should teach every dog desu, and I find that with lurchers it comes naturally as part of a pup's education if you have them out around sheep from a young age that they won't bother them.
>>
>>2278643
UK based? Lurchers are pretty common here, as are Greys. I've seen them course dummies at a games fair (as i think its illegal here?) and theyre amazing to watch.

Generally gypsies course them illegally here on farms without permission though.
>>
>>2280124
Yep, UK based.

I don't like dummy coursing because the dog doesn't get the satisfaction of a kill at the end of a course and it can lead to a dog not putting its heart into running live quarry afterwards.

If you respect the land I don't think there's anything wrong with coursing without permission.
>>
Rhodesian Ridgeback, Dogo Argentino, Coonhound, Mastiff, Pitbull.

Not sure how they are with kids, but if I was hutning boars I'd probably take a couple of these guys. I mostly do rabbit hunting so I use a dachshund, lel. I've only been boar hunting once, we used my dachshund to find a few and a lab-pitbull mix to fuck with them, I only got an itty bitty baby but I enjoyed the experience.
>>
irish terrier are awesome hunting dogs and they really like children! they are pretty hard to train tho and need a lot of time and compassion!
>>
File: Pudelpointer-237x300.png (115KB, 237x300px) Image search: [Google]
Pudelpointer-237x300.png
115KB, 237x300px
Has anyone dealt with pudelpointers? How are they?
>>
>>2280286
Bump
>>
>>2280134
Trespassing isnt respectful tho
>>
>>2278441
One of the tests to get a DD certified for breeding is a blood tracking test. I've used mine for tracking elk I've shot, but using them to actual hunt deer & elk is is illegal in my state.
>>
>>2280268
dogo argentino is the shit, great as a big game dog, amazing with children (aldo like people mentioned at the begining of the post, they do forget how big they are), and certainly a trooper when it comes to guard your property. That being said its a hell of a work to raise them and train them, and also is a breed that tends to have aggresive personality, Im argentinean and no year passes by without histories of those dogs jumping fences to attack pedestrians or getting into the properties of neighboors and attacking them, or the usual maiming of a mailman.
if op thinks he is packing enough balls I say hell go for it, he wont regret the choice
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.