[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are cuttlefish objectively the greatest animal of all time? What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: common-cuttlefish.jpg (147KB, 1174x663px) Image search: [Google]
common-cuttlefish.jpg
147KB, 1174x663px
Are cuttlefish objectively the greatest animal of all time? What measures do I need to go to to keep one?
>>
>>2273861
>What measures do I need to go to to keep one?

Thats going to depend entirely on the species you're talking about. S. Bandensis you're looking at a smaller tank, maybe around a 30 gallon minimum. S. Officinalis you're looking at 100 gallons per animal, and even then a group is likely to be out of your reach due to potential for cannibalism.

Either way you'll need mild lighting, very likely a chiller, water completely free of heavy metals or copper (you're probably looking at an RO system) and several layers of filtration (including a protein skimmer) to maintain the animals.

These are not beginner marine animals.
>>
>>2274108
Can I just keep it in the fishtank (about 3 meters) ?
>>
>>2273861
Just because they're cute doesn't mean you have to have one. It'd probably die in your tiny ass tank in a matter of weeks you sick fuck
>>
>>2274113
Well, yes, you'd keep one in a fish tank, but its going to require a lot more than just a tank full of water.

I love cuttlefish, but cephs are notoriously difficult animals to maintain in an aquarium. They're something for advanced hobbyists. If you really want to tackle them you need to do the research, and I don't mean asking on 4chan, and you're probably going to spend well over $1000 on your system.
>>
>>2274113
>can't I just take this undomesticated animal and put it in the cheapest thing I have????
>what do you mean I have to do research and put time and money into it???
>I mean it lives in water so it must need the same requirements as a goldfish

god I hate you people
>>
Cuttlefish is delicious!
>>
>>2274159
>goldfish

I hate how they are depicted as a beginner's pet you can keep in a tiny fucking fishbowl with no filter
>>
Start your research at tonmo.com.
>>
>>2274229
I know a guy who has a significant number of goldfish and koi. His "tank" is a fifteen foot long by five foot wide by two and a half foot deep trough literally poured into the concrete of his basement floor with a massive piece of inlaid starphire glass. I've seen reef tanks with less equipment.
>>
>>2274158
I already have a tank big enough for one though. Why can't I just pop it in there with my other fish? I can make some adjustments but I think for the most part it'll be fine. Pretty sure the cuttlefish will just adapt anyway
>>
>>2273861
>>2274108
>wanting a pet that will die a few months after acquiring it
>Sepia bandensis only live about one year. What makes this short lifespan even worse is how many cephalopods die; they go into what is called senescence. In senescence, the cephalopod essentially wastes away; they become listless, their eyesight and coordination start to fail causing them to have difficulty hunting or even accepting food placed directly into their arms. Sometimes their arms and body will begin to rot in place. I have seen hermit crabs feeding of still living Sepia bandensis while the cuttlefish does nothing, showing no signs that they are even aware of what is happening. In the wild, cuttlefish going through senescence don't last long, quickly being eaten by other animals. In captivity, however, with careful feeding by the aquarist, it is possible for such a cuttlefish to linger for months while slowly declining. At some point during this process, some cephalopod keepers choose to euthanize senescent animals rather than watch them suffer. The best way to intentionally end the life of a suffering cuttle is still up for debate, but the two most often used methods include freezing the animal in a cup of tank water, or using one of the commercially life ending chemicals produced by aquarium companies.
>>
>>2274300
Nice bait
>>
>>2275170
;____;
>>
>>2275170
It's always been a dream of mine to keep a ceph like an octopus or cuttlefish but their lifespan is the biggest thing holding me back. It's a shame they haven't been bred to live longer
>>
>>2275292
this would be difficult to breed for, you would need to seperate each individuals children in different tanks, so that once you know how long they live you can decide if you want to continue the line or not
>>
>>2275292
Maybe someday GMOs will give us hardy, small, long-lived cephs instead of Jolly Rancher Tetras™.
>>
>>2274300
>Why can't I just pop it in there with my other fish?
Do it
And record the massacre
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.