[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many state birds have you seen? I've seen 11. http

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

File: US-State-Birds-Map-[1].png (631KB, 929x612px) Image search: [Google]
US-State-Birds-Map-[1].png
631KB, 929x612px
How many state birds have you seen? I've seen 11.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_birds

There are a lot of duplicates though, and some states get two state birds. Seems like cheating.
>>
Sorry, I meant 12. Just to set the record straight.
>>
Well ive seen a cardinal, and a yellow bird with a 4. so i guess i'm like 50% done already
>>
File: state birds2.png (824KB, 929x612px) Image search: [Google]
state birds2.png
824KB, 929x612px
Pretty easy when half the list seems to be NOCA and NOMO.
>>
>>2273629
The mockingbird and cardinal are way too overused. Only the state that did it first should keep it and the copiers should choose another bird.
>>
File: 1456058618680.jpg (182KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1456058618680.jpg
182KB, 1024x1024px
>>2273629
>cardinal is the state bird for 5 states
Why?
>>
Why are there no birds of prey?
>>
>>2273835
Because everyone would pick the bald eagle
>>
>>2273833
Because Virginia Decides for its neighbors and its neighbor's neighbors.

#BestState
>>
>>2273835
Not kid friendly enough.
>>
Not a single seagull, pidgeon, or turkey. States just make up some feelgood shit to play along.
>>
>>2273874

Utah is a seagull, chummer.
>>
File: Nene Goose.jpg (120KB, 500x463px) Image search: [Google]
Nene Goose.jpg
120KB, 500x463px
If anyone cares, here's Hawaii's bird since you can't see it. It's basically a smaller Canadian goose with a different plumage, lessened webbing for clambering over lava rock, and not an asshole.
It became the state bird because it was one of the states conservation success stories. The species was driven to 30 individuals, and those were released into an alpine desert where invasive predators hadn't made it yet. The species is now at about 800 with a good number in captive breeding as well.
>>
>>2273900
>Utah's state bird is the California gull

I'm not sure you totally understand the concept here, Utah.
>>
>>2274056
It's because California gulls cleared up a giant locust swarm that was destroying crops when the mormons settled there
>>
>>2273994

>Nene
>Not assholes

kek
>>
>>2273629

All but Greater Roadrunner. But I'm birding in Jalisco in a month so I'll finally get it.
>>
>>2274472
How many total birds have you seen Birdfag?
>>
>>2273629
All of them but Alaska and Hawaii. And nobody cares about Rhode Island and Delaware and their chickens.
>>
File: IMG_2853.jpg (155KB, 413x376px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2853.jpg
155KB, 413x376px
>>2273629
I've seen my state bird the Brown Thrasher, Alabama's state bird the Northern flicker, Tennessee's state bird the Northern mockingbird and their secondary state bird? The Northern bobwhite, and apparently Florida's state bird is also the Northern Mockingbird too so there's that. And that's about it.
>>
>>2273629
titmouse, cardinals, and robins err'where in NC
wish I could shoot geese
>>2273994
>til
nice post, thanks
>>
>>2273629
Cardinals and Quails are best tier

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vPtpiI_WIQ
>>
File: image.png (49KB, 200x275px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
49KB, 200x275px
>>2273859
Restored borders soon, fellow Virginian

>>2273994
Is there a problem with inbreeding?
>>
>>2276214
From my knowledge, it's a major worry. However, a lot of Hawaiian birds fall into the critical range, so they have done genetic mapping on a good chunk of species, including the Nene.
Also, my mistake. The wild population was 800 in 2004. The total population now is about 2,500.
>>
>>2273629
As an Arizonan I'm pissed that New Mexico got the roadrunner. I don't understand why the birds can be re-used, I feel like it defeats the point of having state birds at all.
>>
>>2276695
Yeah this. You would think each state would have at least one native bird, or at least one that predominately lives within its borders and is only found in trace amounts outside. Or the bird has some cultural significance to that state. Like I don't know which one it was, I want to say Nebraska or one of the Dakotas, someone said they'd get 20,000 Sandhill Cranes in their fields. It's like, okay, that's kind of a big deal, make that the state bird. Instead they just chose Meadowlark like half a dozen other places for no real reason.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.