[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't there cat breeds like there are dog breeds? Only

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

Why aren't there cat breeds like there are dog breeds? Only different fur length and colours.

Is cat DNA less malleable through selective breeding?
>>
>>2269213
There's a shitload of cat breeds, what are you on about?
>>
>>2269224
But they're not all different shapes and sizes like dogs.
>>
>>2269226
There are a lot of different catbreeds with different faces, shapes, sizes, you just don't know about them
>>
Interesting thread
I think that most people see a cat as a cat because people so rarely refer to them as their breed name, because it can be difficult to tell them apart

Not sure if these actually count as """breeds""" but here goes
>siamese
>ragdoll
>tabby
>tortoiseshell
>persian (?)
>maned coon
>some sort of small tiger cat that I've forgotten the name of

And then there's shit tonnes of other variations based on size, fur length and colour, general aptitude towards people etc.
So yeah, there are loads, it's just nobody knows they exist because they aren't all that noticeable
>>
>>2269237
Forgot to add
People also never bred cats for work, they're purely pets or at best mousecatchers
It's why bulldogs are short and strong, border collies (sheepdogs) are athletic and intelligent, springer spaniels are so full of energy all the freaking time (they were hunting dogs) and stuff like that
Cats are ultimately a drain on resources but they're cute, so they can stay
>>
>>2269237

>maned coon

It's actually called the Maine coon.
>>
>>2269247
Shit yeah, I was thinking more of the coon part desu
>>
>>2269237
Tabby an tortie are just fur patterns, not breeds. The tiny tiger, are you thinking toyger or Bengal?
>>
What are some physically distinct cat breeds? I can only think of Persians, exotics, and oriental shorthairs. I think that's what OP is referring too. Like how drastically different a bull terrier is to a lab, or pug.
And to help answer that, dogs have been bred for a variety of different jobs that require different builds, coats and sizes.
>>
File: 1479438248602.jpg (35KB, 567x437px) Image search: [Google]
1479438248602.jpg
35KB, 567x437px
>>2269241
>>2269269
This, cat's don't do shit (besides occasionally hunting mice by themselves), whereas dogs can do various jobs and tasks and could be selectively-bred accordingly
>>
>>2269270
kek
>>
>>2269213
i dont think it would be a good idea to breed cats as big as some of our dogs get. cats are vicious and dont give a shit about people (in general) and im sure that would lead to maulings
>>
>>2269269

Most dog breeds originated for the sake of fancy, not working.
>>
>>2269269
Bobtails
>>
>>2269276
If we are including designer breeds maybe. But the majority of dog breeds were originally made for a purpose, with only a handful solely for the purpose of companionship. Granted now they are mainly for companionship, the breed was formed for a purpose.

>>2269269
Scottish folds, I always thought British shorthairs had a unique face, American curls, wirehair and of course Sphinx. It's also difficult to tell a cat's structure because of fur, like long hair dogs. I'm surprised no one has bred a cat with longer legs yet, like a maned wolf.

>>2269272
Breeding large cats would have the same effect as breeding large dogs. I wouldn't breed cats much bigger than a Savannah, it would be taxing on the joints and heart.
>>
There are differences more or less like in dogs too, but they're porpotional to the size of cats as a specie.

Also dogs have been domesticated and had their genepool played around for longer, so yeah, there's more variety. When dogs became tools they were molded to fit a specific need. Like dig into burrows, run after hunt, guard the heard, etc.

I really love dogs, and I'm a dog owner, but I think it's really sad how we manipulated the wolf to become such an overly human-dependent tool.
>>
>>2269226
There's Scottish fold, minx, tabby. All different.
>>
For example. Though this are just faces, you can see how different they are. But yeah, they weren't manipulated to be tools yet. They just kill everything they can and fuck up your garden (they'd kill their owner if they could too, trust me. I dog would never do that no matter how big of a cunt some owners are. That's the sad part.)
>>
>>2269272
>>>2269213 (OP)
>i dont think it would be a good idea to breed cats as big as some of our dogs get. cats are vicious and dont give a shit about people (in general) and im sure that would lead to maulings
Yeah, good thing big dogs never attack people. Cause all dogs like all people right?
Oh, and look up the Savannah breed.

Op:fact that you don't know something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. For example, i have a ragdoll cat. Unique breed, cause when u pick it up it goes all ragdoll on you. Just hangs there. Also, the breed acts like dogs. Mine waits for me to get home from work, vreets me when i get home, wants to cuddle and basically is always in a few feet radius. Oh, and the breed is known to play fetch.
>>
At the most there are 73 cat breeds where as there are 340 recognized breeds of dogs. So OP kinda has a point. Their isn't much variety relatively speaking.
>>
>>2269641
there isn't as large a size disparity like a Chihuahua vs a Great Dane in cats either
>>
>>2269655
Because cats of the small variety domesticated themselves as humans were good sources of food (they attracted lots of pests like mice and rats for them to eat, which of course humans liked so why not keep em around?) and most cats (the big ones) can't BE domesticated or at the very least weren't. Otherwise sure we'd have big cats alright. Some people do. It's just stupid in my opinion and usually illegal. It's incredible how similar big cats and domestic cats act. They even purr and enjoy scratches.
>>
File: doges.jpg (79KB, 990x660px) Image search: [Google]
doges.jpg
79KB, 990x660px
>>2269232
Look at how fucking different these dogs look. Why don't cats display this kind of radical diversity among breeds?
>>
File: 2122063203_8f68f2db42.jpg (41KB, 350x246px) Image search: [Google]
2122063203_8f68f2db42.jpg
41KB, 350x246px
>>2270202
OP you're a goddamn retard
>>
To add, size wise.. it's easier to breed down than it is up. Dogs are domesticated wolves, which are on the medium to large size. We have bred bigger cats(Maine coons), and hybridization of them with wild felines can make them go bigger but not by much since the ones they can breed with aren't very big in the first place. If you look at our largest dog breeds they are horrible health problems and unfortunately small lifespans. I can't imagine what kind of health problems a cat would have if it were the size of a lab.

Not sure how we got so huge with horses though. I figured at least with dogs and horses you'd breed smaller specimens to another, maybe throw some dwarfism in there if it pops up. Dunno about the opposite if it's anything more than 'this dog is bigger than usual so let's breed it with another unusually larger dog'.
>>
>>2270211
>Panthera Tigris
>Felis Catus
Now let's look at the two dogs:
>Canis Lupus Familiaris
>Canis Lupus Familiaris
>>
>>2269596
>it's really sad how we manipulated the wolf to become such an overly human-dependent tool
But wolves still exist, we simply helped a few of the friendly, confident ones thousands of years ago to become our friends forever.
>muh colonialism and oppression
tinyviolin.jpg
>>
>>2270211
>2 different dog breeds vs two different feline species

ebin
>>
>>2269601
>(they'd kill their owner if they could too, trust me
Only outdoor cats. Cats that have never been outside are very, very nice. there's no doubt in my mind that they wouldn't.
>>
>>2270214
>I can't imagine what kind of health problems a cat would have if it were the size of a lab.
what are lions, leopards, gepards, etc?
>>
>>2270348
>capitalising species and subspecies name
you're a retard just like this guy >>2270211
>>
>>2269213
because you can train dogs to do different tasks and then it makes sense to selectively breed for traits that make that task easier
you can't train cats, because they're even more retarded than their vegan feminist owners.
>>
>>2270400
Not cats.
>>
>>2270403
>>>2269213 (OP)
>because you can train dogs to do different tasks and then it makes sense to selectively breed for traits that make that task easier
>you can't train cats, because they're even more retarded than their vegan feminist owners.
Lol. U can't train cats cause they don't want to be trained. U can call that stupid if you want. I personally think dogs are more stupid for being essentially enslaved or usef as tools for.. For what actually? Gratitude? Treats? Petting? Looks like cats have it better. Get all of the above without being enslaved.
>>
>>2269601
>dog would never do that no matter how big of a cunt some owners are
You do know fatal dog attacks on their owner are a thing right
>>
>>2270621
They're rare, and they're pretty much entirely from Pit bulls (aka the niggers of dogs), physically abused dogs, or mentally retarded dogs.

Although I guess that anon did say "no matter how big of a cunt some owners are", which is obviously wrong. Of course if you fuck your dog up it'll try to defend itself.
>>
>>2270626
Yet there are still far more cases of dog abuses than owners being mauled by their dogs.
>>
>>2270630
Of course. Dogs are extremely sweet animals, but even they have a breaking point. Most abusers never take it quite that far.
>>
Dog ownner here. I became a college student last year and moved to a bigger town. I am living in a single room apartment with a flatmate.Therefore I do not have capacity for a dog. But I was thinking about adopting a cat from the shelter. preferably not a kitten,but not a fucking WW1 veteran.

What am I getting myself into? I know next to nothing about cats. I was thinking of cat being 1-3 years old. I dont want a cat that just comes to me when it needs to eat. But I also dont want one thats uppity and thats known a warm meal from the beggining of its life.
Am I making a mistake in my line of thinking? I will never mistreat my pet so help me please. I promise to take good care if I decide to take it onto me.
>>
>>2270715
I suggest a pet rock.
Or a pet flatmate.
>>
File: siamese cat.jpg (20KB, 406x452px) Image search: [Google]
siamese cat.jpg
20KB, 406x452px
There are different shapes and bone structures in cats OP, there just aren't as many. On top of this, true purebred cat's are rare, and most are just moggies with wildly different color and fur types not really related to any specific breed.

This one and the munchkin are two very distinctly different shapes than most cats.
>>
>>2270717
I heard those are not as fun.
>>
>>2269213
I think its because theres less separation between cat populations. Many people have "outdoor" cats that are free to roam around wherever they please and then breed with whatever along the way.
This is not as much the case with dogs. It also doesn't help that dog breeding is kind of a sport with breeders selecting traits to exaggerate through inbreeding.
>>
>>2269213
Mainly heteromorphies during development of dogs. Cats don't suffer those that much.
>>
>>2270719
Female pet flatmates can be fun. Good luck finding one that likes you, though.
>>
>>2270723
Yeah, that's the big issue. They stink, shed, howl, mark their territory, and freak out over houseguests or any change in decor.

And just like cats, they're beguilingly graceful, absurdly cute, and you can never really understand why you like them so much when they treat you so terribly.
>>
File: SyUpI6L.jpg (193KB, 777x960px) Image search: [Google]
SyUpI6L.jpg
193KB, 777x960px
>>2269213
I don't know what you're talking about OP.
>>
>>2270611
>U can't train cats cause they don't want to be trained.
nice excuse. i bet you also didn't get into college, because you didn't want to.

>Get all of the above without being enslaved.
Only if you're a retarded toxo-zombie ;)
sane people just shoot them on sight.
>>
>>2270621
>>2270626

There are several ways of being a "absolute cunt" to a dog besides shoveling his head in. Specialy in the case of dogs that are also emotionally dependent of the owners.
Once I saw an owner trying to make a puppy walk, and picking him up as if there was nothing wrong with him though his belly was so swollen with some sort of inside rot he would whimper at every move and touch. It had been like this for over a week;
Once I was driving by a small village and saw a guy throw a chair at his dog in his front lawn. I still fantasize nowdays about stopping the car and beating the shit out of him;
I knew of a dog that stayed the whole day in a room where he shits and eats while the owner is at work. When the guy arrives the dog is happy as can be, tries to play, and sleeps by his foot by the sofa like the buddy he is.

I guess my threshold for what a cunt owner is is just smaller than you two's. Which is sad because it shows that some people don't seem to be aware of what "taking care of a dog" really means. And THIS is why I said that it's sad how we manipulated SOME of the wolves to be dogs, >>2270353 stand the tiny band down, dude.
>>
>>2271112
m8 you said "no matter how big of a cunt", not "absolute cunt". If the cuntiness is truely limitless like the former implies, of course that extends to the most vile things humanely possible.
>>
>>2271119
Well, apologies for not being clear. Unfortunatly you are right, cuntiness does seem to be limitless in some cases. But anyway, I hope I was able to explain a little bit better what I was thinking in the blogpost above.
>>
>>2270405
>big cats aren't cats
>>
>>2271071
>>>2270611 (You)
>>U can't train cats cause they don't want to be trained.
>nice excuse. i bet you also didn't get into college, because you didn't want to.
>>Get all of the above without being enslaved.
>Only if you're a retarded toxo-zombie ;)
>sane people just shoot them on sight.
So u just hate cats. Congrats. Your reasoning skills show u didn't even finish primary school. Perfect dog owner in my book. Go work your shit uneducated job for 15 hours a day leaving the dog alone all that time so it can fucking terrorise your entire neighborhood. Make sure that u also let it shit everywhere for maximum annoyance.
>>
>>2269213
idk
>>
>>2270626
They aren't almost all from pit bulls. That's just your bias and refusing to do research. Dogs of many breeds kill people for no reason sometimes. It doesn't matter how loyal your dog is. It can happen at any moment. All dogs are dangerous.
>>
>>2270632
Lol no dogs and cats are both pest. They should have never been domesticated to begin with. This is why I shoot or poison any dog or cat I see outside. Especially dogs left outside all day or night
>>
>>2271071
Toxoplasmosis doesn't affect humans like you think it does. You're probably infected by it like most people. It's almost impossible to avoid. Especially when you eat shittly prepared meat.
>>
>>2269269
Sphinx
Mau
Savannahs
Russian Blue
Toygers
>>
Dogs are creatures that had been bred for specific uses over the years, usually for sport and working and other uses, so, there are plenty of breeds that stick out

Cats are sort of strange in that they're essentially creatures that approached us first, in the evolutionary history. When we began farming and mice started popping up, the cats followed, and got used to us. The reason why we done have as wildly different cat breeds is because they aren't exactly the best animal for working, since they're typically small and at their root weren't a social species like dogs

If cats weren't really interested in getting closer to humans for the food, they wouldn't exist. But now, since the wild-cat joined us, the modern day cat effectively engineered itself into a semi social species. It even has it's own form of body language unique to it's species, which is the raised tail = hello I am friendly, and is the only other form of cat save the Lion which is willing to gather in groups.

So, a lot of the breeds we have were made because they look pretty, or a breeder was trying to pass off or serve a more domestic purpose (For example, an Australlian Mist was a cat bred to be comfortable and mellow indoors, to provide Aussies a feline companion without the risk of the cat aching to go outside and cause some damage)

Cats are weird.
>>
>>2269213
Nyet, death machine is fine.
>>
>>2270191
I doubt you can impregnate a Cheetah with Tabby sperm though - artificially or not.

I've actually seen a Great Dane/Yorkie mix - which either the result of artificial insemination, or the Yorkie had to hang off the Dane's rear for a couple hours after pumping her full of his juice.
>>
>>2274144
>Cats are sort of strange in that they're essentially creatures that approached us first, in the evolutionary history
This is true of dogs too though. The ones that were less afraid of humans got close enough to scavenge our garbage, and since that was successful for them, that "tameness" was naturally selected and our relationship with them grew from there

The rest of your post was on point, though
>>
I want to breed a gigantic cat with temperament of a domesticated cat. Could I do this in my lifetime?
>>
Obsessed Victorians, that's why.
>>
Is it possible to take a cat for walks?
>>
>>2275165
Yes, the only reason you never see it is because cat owners are universally lazy.
>>
>>2275167
How do you do it. The cat seems to tolerate the leash but lies down and refuses to walk.
>>
I just want a fucking small cat. Like how chihuahuas are the smallest breed in comparison (let's pin it up against say a medium dog since that's the most 'common' size dog) to the rest. So a chihuahua is X times smaller than a medium breed, let's get a cat that's almost a small, one that stays the size of an 8 week old.
>>
>>2275208
Some cats are like that. I have one kitten who was so terrified she couldn't even function just being a few feet from the door. My other kitten goes with us on hikes to the beach and only refuses to move if there's a dog around.
>>
>>2272232
Don't project your parasite.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.