[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the purpose of grafting? Does it actually benefits

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: 3in GRAFTS.jpg (61KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
3in GRAFTS.jpg
61KB, 800x533px
What's the purpose of grafting?
Does it actually benefits the plant?
>>
File: qiev6.jpg (388KB, 1500x1005px) Image search: [Google]
qiev6.jpg
388KB, 1500x1005px
>>2265665

I may be mistaken, but those colored ones may be lacking chlorophyll, and are aided by the graft.

This is just from vague memory, I may be wrong. Not all plants are green and do fine ungrafted, so yet again I may be wrong.

Also, I'm not a fan of those particular "plants" They don't do great and they're just a step away from hot glued fake flowers on cacti to make them look pretty.... or GMO fluorescent fish.... or neon spray painted succulents with glitter on them.

Also, my hardware store sells succulents with a fully glued top layer of gravel which makes me go pic related.

But if you want to discuss grafting in general, yeah, it's common and useful for a variety of reasons. A good/fun skill to learn too.
>>
>>2265680

Oh, and genetic transfer can occur at graph sites. So it can be used to create new species if you culture the cells affected at the graph site. It was recently demonstrated with two different species of tobacco.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v511/n7508/abs/nature13291.html

Pretty exciting if you want to do some very sterile lab work.
>>
File: nature13291-f2.jpg (676KB, 946x1194px) Image search: [Google]
nature13291-f2.jpg
676KB, 946x1194px
>>2265727
>>
>>2265665
It's used to grow trees without seeds, lots of oranges grown in Florida wouldn't be possible without grafting. Not sure if it works like that with every seedless plant, but many depend on them.
>>
It's common for varieties that make good fruit to also have shitty root systems or vice versa. Take the shoot from a good producer and graft it to the roots of a good root system and you get the best of both worlds
>>
>>2265665
For cactuses it's almost exclusively decorative.
>>
you know, in a way it could benefit the plant - by being attractive, more people are likely to propagate it, thus increasing their numbers. but then, it's all about us really, isn't it? :/
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.