[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I really like crawfish and want to keep a few as pets how would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: crayfish.jpg (28KB, 555x294px) Image search: [Google]
crayfish.jpg
28KB, 555x294px
I really like crawfish and want to keep a few as pets how would i go about doing this.
>>
>>2260600
also i've never had an aquarium or aquatic animal before so any information at all helps.
>>
Put it on a frying pan set on low heat and a little butter he'll be your buddy for life.

Now stop looking for advice you could fucking google.
>>
>>2260600
Need a large enough aquarium, lots of hiding places, and hard water.
>>
>>2260600
>How many are you getting?
>How much are you willing to spend?
>Do you like a specific kind of crayfish?
>Do you want any other tankmates?
>Plants, Yes or No?
>>
>>2260600
I used to have a crayfish for a pet when i was kid
>>
>>2260611
>google
There is a thread about crawfish on page 1 right now>>2260434
OP is so fucking lazy he couldn't handle a pet rock.
>>
>>2260665

This.

I'm answering questions over there. Google is a mixed bag since craws aren't very popular.
>>
>>2260642
not OP but I was having the same idea
>1-2
>a few hundred dollars
>no
>no, unless it's mutually beneficial, the 'dads would be the focus
>yes
>>
>>2261036
>few hundred dollars
I live in NY where everythings expensive but you're really overestimating the costs

I planned it out and the cost would barely reach a 100

And according to crayfish anons on here multiples in the same tank isn't the best idea
>>
>>2261045
Unless you get Mexican dwarf crayfish
>>
>>2261036
>1-2
Acceptable.
>$100
Hope you know how to manage your budget, you're probably gonna spend a little over that.
>mutually beneficial tank mates only
random "pest" snails and ghost shrimp as cheap clean-up crew, that's about it.
>Yes to plants
I can recommend the Mexican Dwarf Cajun Crayfish, 20-29 gallon during a $1 per gallon if it's available. House a male and a female, they won't kill each other, get a substrate of your choice for around $5-10, I recommend pool filter sand or some cheap gravel, decorations are stone sculptures.
Can't recommend anything on plants, crayfish have a lot of personality, though I've heard a lot on dwarf cajun crayfish not eating plants. I'll shill and say go buy the AquaClear filter with a sponge.

>$20-30 on tank
>$20-30 on filter
>unknown amount of money spent on plants
>unknown amount of money spent on pets

Good luck.
>>
File: image.png (200KB, 877x435px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
200KB, 877x435px
>>2261049
Dwarf crays are wonderful. Two marmorkrebs could also work in a 20 gallon, but that makes keeping plants questionable.

Personally, I'd just get a kit for the price. Crays have a reputation for climbing out of uncovered tanks, and buying lights separately for plants would hike the price pretty quickly. Pic related can be used with cheap CFLs in the hood for low-medium light plants. The 10 gallon version would also be fine for a few dwarf crays.

Other things to consider are the cost of plants (likely $40+ to fully plant the tank) and the crays themselves ($35 incl shipping for 5 crays on aquabid right now).

Cheap ways to furnish a tank are landscaping rocks and stacked stone flooring tiles. The store will likely give you a discount on them or give them to you for free if you can find some that are already cracked.
>>
>>2261104
God bless you anon, what did we do to deserve you?

What kind of stuff do you have? are you a pond enthusiast? aquarium hobbyist, expert? just happen to like crayfish?
>>
>>2261104

>Pic related can be used with cheap CFLs in the hood for low-medium light plants.

CFLs smell like burning ass though. Especially the cheap ones.
>>
File: _10 gal.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
_10 gal.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>2261109
Haha, just a hobbyist. I mostly do shrimp, though I'm trying to get into CPOs and killifish.
Here's a tank I had a long time ago that was close to the same thing I suggested. Cheap 10 gal tank with 2 13W CFLs, Fluval Stratum, and some liquid fertilizers.

>>2261110
I have literally never experienced that.
>>
>>2260600
I could only ever keep them alive in stagnant water too toxic for fish. They love to eat snails.
>>
File: eurypterid.jpg (30KB, 204x343px) Image search: [Google]
eurypterid.jpg
30KB, 204x343px
>>2260600
Daily reminder these things crawled around the sea bottom at some point.
>>
>>2261320
>claws that can chop your neck off

fucking nature man
>>
>>2261322
I doubt they had that much power in them. Probably just to hold the pray still while they nibble their face away.
>>
File: orthocone.jpg (5KB, 240x200px) Image search: [Google]
orthocone.jpg
5KB, 240x200px
>>2261323
Yeah, I think so too. Kinda like an orthocone
>>
>>2261320
These are fucking awesome, I wish they still exist
>>
>>2261320
Exoskeleton body plans get shittier the bigger they get. This thing only lived because nothing existed yet that could kill it, you could probably kick a hole in it.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.