[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I bought this bone for my dog today, thinking he would just sorta

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: 20161106_173524~2.jpg (878KB, 3120x1792px) Image search: [Google]
20161106_173524~2.jpg
878KB, 3120x1792px
I bought this bone for my dog today, thinking he would just sorta nibble on it. And he did, for about half an hour. I left to the store and to run some errands for two hours, and when I came back, the only thing left was the middle part!

Is he gonna be sick from eating so much of it? Was he supposed to even eat it in the first place?

I'm feeling kinda nervous, and threw what's left of it away. I took a pic first, will put in next post.
>>
File: 20161106_173448~2.jpg (2MB, 3120x2967px)
20161106_173448~2.jpg
2MB, 3120x2967px
>>2259492
Here is the after pic.
>>
>>2259492

He sees you as the alpha. Cautioningly nibbling on the bone when you're around, afraid you'll get mad at him because he thinks it's your bone you are sharing. But once you walk out the door he chow'd down on it

About your dogs health I don't know sorry, but at least you know you're top dog.
>>
My dog loves those. She does the same thing, she eats the ends and then the middle is left. I think he'll be okay.
>>
>>2259496
Haha thanks. I think I do a pretty good job, so there's a confidence boost.
>>
>>2259498
Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's dog does it. How old is your dog? I think mine is coming on 6 months, I'm not 100% though.
>>
They are meant to be gnawed on, not actually eaten. Are you sure he ate them or just split it up to be found elsewhere? I'd be wary about the dog actually eating chunks of it. I replace my dog's bones when she's gnawed it too much and is able to get chunks off. I also prefer to give them raw bones.

Really depends on the dog and what kind of bone/chews you're giving them. My one dog I can't trust. If there is something to choke on, she'll find it. You'll find many different sources saying what is and isn't safe, especially when it comes to cooked bones.
These bones are not meant for eating, and blockage in the throat, intestines and stomach is a big risk. As well as splintering. Just watch your dog but if anything seems off, can't shit, lethargic then a vet visit is in order. I'd also recommend supervising your dog while it has bones.
>>
>>2259511
Thanks, I've been watching him, and he's still playing with his other toys and cuddling like normal, but I'm still worried and ready to go to the vet at a moment's notice.

I'm sure he ate it, because I set him up in the kitchen whenever I leave, and there was nothing to be found. He's been chewing pretty extreme in the past week or so.

Does anybody know what types of places have emergency vet services?
>>
>>2259512
Emergency vets. Just google around your area. Despite this situation, which may easily be totally fine - its good to know where one is in another case of emergency.

Bones aside, there are some hefty kong toys you can buy. They may not be totally indestructible but they're pretty up there in quality meant for chewers. You can put some things inside of it and freeze it to make them work at it. It's also not as hard on their teeth as completely annihilating bones are.
How old is your dog? If he's suddenly chewing a lot recent it could also be a tooth problem. Or he just discovered how much fun and entertaining chewing is. Not trying to worry you or make you paranoid or anything. You just never know with pets.
>>
>>2259492
he will be fine my dog eats bones too
expect a white shit tommorow
>>
>>2259516
Okay, thank you. I think he's coming on 6 months. Maybe some type of teething phase? He cuddles next to me when we sleep and I noticed maybe the night before last that he was grinding his teeth. Maybe he picked that up from me? I've been told I do it a little bit when I sleep. That might be completely unrelated, and now I'm just reaching!
>>
Get a bully stick instead.

Worst case they can get from eating too much is runny shit.
>>
>>2259531
Any specific brand?
>>
>>2259533

I've never really seen brands on the sticks I get. It's all the same in the end, I suppose.
>>
>>2259534
Oh okay, thanks!
>>
>>2259512
Maybe give an emergency vet a call and just ask them if it's anything to worry about? I've done it once before - saved me money and peace of mind.
>>
File: 20161106_222700.jpg (348KB, 1440x1504px) Image search: [Google]
20161106_222700.jpg
348KB, 1440x1504px
>>2259492

for future reference, you want Dentley's stuffed femur bones. they're fucking indestructible. I have 2 150lb dogs (Great Pyrenees) working on these things. After 3 months, this is what they've done (see picture). And it's not because they don't try, believe me. the LOVE these things.

They can take down an entire raw hide bone in under 20 minutes. these things? Fucking awesome. These femur bones are tougher than Nylabones, which we have to replace once a month. I strongly recommend them to anyone with dogs that don't fuck around when it comes to chewing on shit.
>>
>>2259600
Thanks, I called and got a little info, put them on speed dial just in case.
>>
>>2259604
Thank you so much! I swear my dog's teeth are like industrial grinders. They take down anything. Originally before I even bought the bone I did, I was worried they would hurt his teeth because he's still a puppy? Is this something I should eorry about? He's not a baby-baby though.
>>
You should check his teeth.
The teeth can wear down but I heard some stories of them breaking too.

I prefer to feed soft raw bones that can actually be eaten in a short time. After heating bones become hard and brittle.
>>
>>2259607

It's sort of like a human. It will cause pain and discomfort long, long before any damage is done to the tooth. The dog would need to be in a psychotic mood to disregard the natural warning signs and keep going at it.

>>2259618
>I prefer to feed soft raw bones that can actually be eaten in a short time.

Raw hide doesn't digest very well. If you feed them alot at once, it can cause impaction. i use bolt cutters to cut our raw hide bones into smaller pieces - to portion them out. I know that not all dogs need this safety precaution. but the big ones that can make them disappear in the time it takes you to go to the bathroom - that's really dangerous.
>>
>>2259607

Another thing our dogs like is old denim. You have to be careful with this and rub it all over them beforehand to get their scent on it, and your scent off of it, or it will confuse them about whether or not they're allowed to eat clothes. one of the indicators that they're supposed to leave stuff alone is your smell being on it. We go an extra step and make denim an outside toy only. The're not allowed to play with it inside. They won't eat it, but they love trying to rip it up.
>>
I'm not OP, but are antlers a good chew toy? My dog has no interest in nylabones whatsoever even the flavored ones. She loves rawhide but it's expensive. I've heard antlers have a risk of chipping teeth but I've also heard that they're great chews.
>>
>>2259748
They are great chews! My golden has had a smallish one for nearly two years and it's nowhere near finished
>>
Okay, OP here with an update. He's still playing and acting normal, but he did not poop on our walk this morning. It's not too unordinary, because sometimes he just doesn't in the morning. Should I still go to work today? Or stay home and watch him? I could always come home and check on him on lunch.
>>
op, if youre really worried, why not call your regular vet? i am sure they would be happy to do a set of rads, if warranted. look for vomiting, blood in stool, lethargy, or tenderness in the belly. loss of appetite also.
>>
>>2259766
no poop isnt the best. call your regular vet, not emergency. a normal vet is equipped to deal with this stuff too.
>>
>>2259748
They're great. my dog has multiple. if you think your dog might not be interested at first (since their smell isn't all that stinky and enticing), get a split one so she can get at the marrow right away. it won't last as long, but it'll get her interested in them.
>>
>>2259766
Call your vet and ask what to do. If I were you, I'd make an appointment tomorrow morning, bur cancel if he poops before then. That being said, my vet is chill and they dont mind if you to make appointments but cancel if things improve.
>>
My dog ate an entire goat skull once, he should be fine.
>>
>>2259492
This is why you shouldn't give cooked bones
Next time go to the butcher and get a raw chicken carcass or something.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.