[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does no one give a shit about pic related? They aren't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: wild_dogs-web.jpg (54KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
wild_dogs-web.jpg
54KB, 640x480px
Why does no one give a shit about pic related? They aren't even obscure. Hyenas are cool and all but I never see these guys mentioned anywhere. They are way more successful at hunting than any other pack animals. Less than 5k of them left. Do any zoos have them?

Only two downside is while spotted hyenas and lions can survive long enough near each other, lions tend to destroy african wild dog packs. Anyone know why that is? Do they stand and fight? They could easily outrun lions so I assume they mob lions and get fatally wounded even if they survive the attempt.
>>
Also this could also be a general thread for non wolves and normal ass foxes. Maned wolves, crab eating foxes, etc fine though.Or more obscure predators in general. I don't really care.
>>
Fuckloads of zoos have them, there was even that story a few years ago where some idiot dropped a kid in with some, with predictable results. I think you'll find a lot of people are heavily interested in african hunting dogs.
>>
>>2258795
>Anyone know why that is?
wild dogs are barely the size of whippets

spotted hyenas are massive alsatians
>hence why lions are afraid of them
>>
>>2258820
>wild dogs are barely the size of whippets
Nigger they're the size of dobermans
>>
>>2258820
>>2258851
Doberman or whippet I imagine a swipe from a lion or a bite from a hyena will fucking suck. Hyenas seem to be able to take more. Lions too can survive some shitty wounds.
African wild dogs are small and lean. I can see how a wound would effect them more if it were on either a lion or hyena.

Just seems weird to me that they get so destroyed by lions. I assume its the mobbing effect. Yeah you can eventually scare them off but you have plenty of pack mates succumbing to wounds.
>>
Lions in general target any competition and often go for the cubs. Its not just wild dog but also cheetah and leopard. Lions also tend to stay away from hyenas because they are viscous scavangers that just dgaf
>>
>>2258795
Are they really dogs? Dogs are domesticated descendants of wolves.

So are these guys feral dogs? Or are they completely wild animals that just have a vague resemblance to dogs, and thus had the name slapped on them?
>>
>>2259048
Hyenas dont scavenge nearly as much as shit makes it seem. In fact, lions steal from hyenas more than hyenas scavange from lions. African wild dogs travel far more than lions and hyenas, which is why you don't see them together. African Wild Dogs biggest enemy us humans. They are hunted because they are extremely intelligent and tend to kill a lot of livestock. And of course, there's the whole habitat issue.
>>
>>2259065
At the Kruger national park the kill and scavange is 50/50
>>
>>2259060

a "dog" is every animal under the Canis genus, domesticated or not.
>>
>>2259087
no

a dog is a domesticated canid

with the exception of wild dogs
>>
>>2259060
They aren't.
They're not even in the same genus.
They're just called african wild dogs because they couldn't be bothered to find another name for them I guess.
>>
>>2258795
What about the dhole desu? I knew about painted dogs when I was a kid, but only after I started discovering Wikipedia and so on did I know about dholes.
>>
File: Indian_wild_dog_by_N._A._Naseer.jpg (4MB, 1967x2400px) Image search: [Google]
Indian_wild_dog_by_N._A._Naseer.jpg
4MB, 1967x2400px
>>2259140
>doesnt post picture
nigger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXHGlhrfLbQ
>>
>>2259048
>hyenas
>scavengers

this myth exceptionally triggers me. its literally one of the greatest injustices of nature documentaries and turned me off watching them
>>
>>2259148
Why do you think that they are not scavangers?
>>
>>2259161
cause they're not. not any more than any other opportunistic carnivore with a size/strength advantage over its competitors. but they're routinely portrayed as essentially 4-legged vultures that just go around stealing food from 'real' predators when they in fact kill the vast majority of their prey and, as the other anon said, are more likely to have their food stolen by lions than the reverse

not saying its a conspiracy or anything, just lazy and irresponsible documentary-making
>>
>>2259176
But muh noble flag animal.
>>
>>2259176
I did some research and you appear to be correct! Thanks for enlighting me. I live in that corner of the world where i often see wild animals and i had no idea!
>>
>>2259089
These things are dogs in just the same way tigers, leopards etc. are considered cats. Just because some retarded normies only recognise 'dog' and 'cat' in the specific context of domesticated pets, doesn't mean they're right.
>>
File: Hyena_Butter_by_Chaser9900.jpg (54KB, 600x372px) Image search: [Google]
Hyena_Butter_by_Chaser9900.jpg
54KB, 600x372px
hyenas are better
>>
>>2258795
I like them, but have only seen them in zoos. They're like big calico dogs.
>>
>>2259060
No. They didn't evolve from wolves and are very distant relatives. AWDs also can't breed with dogs/wolves.
Not sure how true this is but I've seen this copied and pasted here and there about african wild dogs but can't find a source.

>Painted dogs have a unique evolutionary line that can be traced back some forty million years to a small carnivorous animal, Miacis, a distant relative of the modern day civet. >Approximately 30 million years ago two other animals emerged: Daphaenus, (or Bear Dog) which eventually evolved into our modern day bears, and Cynodictus, an arboreal civet-like animal. From Cynodictus, an animal called Temnocyon developed and from this mammal the modern day dogs of Africa (Lycaon or Painted Dog), ICndia (Cuon or Dhole) and South American (Speothos or South American Bush Dog) evolved.

>Interestingly, wolves, dogs, and foxes evolved through a different lineage. Cynodesmus emerged in North America as huge hyena-like animals (though unrelated to hyenas). An offshoot from Cynodesmus called Tomarctus is the ancestor from which these other canids developed.
>This explains the differing appearance between painted dogs and North American canids.
>>
>>2259060
Didn't recent studies find that dogs share a same ancestor with wolves but does not descend from the canis lupus?

Which would make sense as pigs revert to the shape of wild boars, but dogs revert to the phariah dog shape which is nothing like a wolf.
>>
>>2259089
a "dog" is the proverb of a male canid. Ever wonder why you always hear bitch never the male equivalent?
>>
>>2259371
in german it's dog-FEMALESUFFIX and male dogs have their own name, while "dog" is generic, but has grammatical male gender, so it's used more commonly for male dogs.
>>
>>2259372
>male dogs have their own name
male dog is called "rĂ¼de"
>>
>>2259183
You're a fucking idiot, they are not dogs. Not any more than hyenas are dogs.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.