[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

dog grooming general? i think we need one what grooming products

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

File: dogger bath.jpg (395KB, 960x633px) Image search: [Google]
dogger bath.jpg
395KB, 960x633px
dog grooming general? i think we need one

what grooming products do you use/how often do you bathe your doggo/etc
>>
I use a brand called espree (I think). You can dilute it with water 16:1 and they have different shampoos for different needs (sensitive skin, sprayed by a skunk, etc). Lasts forever when you dilute it.

Despite having a double coat my guy is pretty low maintenance when it comes to grooming. Brush him once a week with a pin brush, sometimes use a furminator but not often. The most success I ever had though was with a rake brush while he was wet. Took out clumps of dead fur enough to build myself another dog.
>>
i bathe my dog once or twice a week in the shower with me

i use the same soap i use either unscented oatmeal or goat milk
>>
>>2258764
i also soak his feet every one or two weeks in epsom salts to soothe them and soften his nails for trimming
>>
File: Ci_xzLgW0AEPtXk.jpg (85KB, 768x1024px)
Ci_xzLgW0AEPtXk.jpg
85KB, 768x1024px
Got a German Shepherd about 8 months ago, awesome doggo but the shedding is unbearable. I go over her with a furminator 2-3 times a week but it does nothing to stop the absolute river of hair that flows from her ass. Anyone know some things to try for her?
>>
>>2258771
Welcome to owning a GSD.
>>
>>2258771
Haha good luck they're like that for life. The German Shedder.
>>
I try not to bathe the dogs too often because it strips their coats of their natural oils. You can often eliminate a lot of the doggy smell by doing a really thorough brush.

I use a slicker and undercoat rake.

When I do bathe them, like when they've had several days that month where we've walked in the rain and they just sort of stink, or when one of them has rolled in animal shit, I take them to the local pet store. They have a DIY dog wash with shampoo and conditioner that mixes with the water, so once you've done the initial rinse you don't have to work it in, and also an air drier. You get 10 minutes of washing time from the machine for a token that costs $10. So I use whatever commercial conditioner and shampoo the store stocks, and it cleans the dogs fine. They also have a flea wash, but I've never used it.
>>
I brush by dog but the amount of rolling she does gets her so matted in less than I day I have to cut it out. Get professionally groomed once a month but it barely takes two weeks for her to go to total shit(even though i brush her out once a week).
Shedding isn't bad but I have to purposely not let her in the yard after brushing or grooming otherwise she rolls around and gets as disgusting as possible. I don't want to bathe her as often but if she finds roadkill her first response is to roll in it.
>>
>>2258771
I've heard good things about force dryers. They blow the dead undercoat out all at once. I wish I could afford one.
>>
>>2258771
Furminator low shed shampoo and conditioner or simple earth brand are both super good at reducing shedding.

Lather it and scrub it in. You should let the conditioner sit for a good 10 to 20 minutes. Easy to do if you have a kennel you can have them sit in for the waiting time.

You can also take them to a groomer for dat high velocity force drier. Force drier takes out 80% of shed hair in one go and then they brush out the rest for you.

The cheapest way would be to buy shampoo yourself and use it or ask if a groomer will use it. GSD in my local area is charged $25-$36 for bath, ear cleaning, teeth cleaning, and nail trim. Most will charge to use special shampoos they have, but will let you use your own you bring for free.

If you really want to bathe them yourself take advantage of the fact groomers brush for a living and ask them to do just a brush out. One I go to charges $7 for every 15 minutes of brushing. GSD never takes longer than 30 minutes.
If you ask really nicely they may even use a high velocity drier to get out more hair quicker without requiring a bath service.
>>
I just use some simple oatmeal shampoo and bathe her at least once a month.

The girlfriend tries to bathe the doggo like 3 times a month, but I feel anything more than once is excessive due to her natural oils.

She doesn't even smell, really. The only time she does is when she comes in after sunbathing - you know, that weird "warm dog" smell.
>>
I wash my dog and cat once a month with Adam's flea shampoo because it smells good and the smell lasts for a long time. They don't really get fleas since both are inside but it's almost impossible to find a shampoo you can wash both with
>>
I got my dog when she was about a little over a year old from the humane society.
She had all vaccinations and spade.
My question is since it's been about 3 years since ive owned her should i get her vaccinated again for stuff?
Any tips? I dont want her to be over vaccinated
>>
>>2259339
Yikes. You need to get booster vaccines. It's unlikely she came to you with 3yr rabies. Jesus anon. Learn to take care of your dog.
>>
>>2259341
She seems pretty A ok to me.
I take very good care of her and i read online how vaccinations arent always good so i have been scared to take her...
Btw I just made an appointment tomorrow.
I told them no on the kennel cough vaccine though.
>>
>>2259342
Anon, if you have kids, never vaccinate them. :)
They could end up autists like you, that wouldn't be nice.
>>
>>2259344
fuck you man. now im not taking my dog. she is just going to have to suffer.
>>
>>2259342
Kennel cough is optional, rabies is not.
>>
>>2259342
Jesus. It's like you read all of the wrong things on purpose.

Take your dog and get all of the appropriate vaccines.

Read up on some of the diseases they prevent and ask yourself if you'd rather she catch those diseases or have to deal with some nausea for a half day.

Take care of your dog, anon. Withholding preventative medicine isn't care.
>>
>>2259339
You should do what is legally required where you live. If she nipped someone without an up to date rabies vax, she could get euthanized. Its a huge legal liability for you.

Talk to your vet. Tell them your concern. Theyll help you determine the right set of vax to give her. I just do rabies, kennel cough, and lepto with mine. The vet recommended lepto because they told me they see it more than they prefer.
>>
>>2259342
a vet can do a blood test and see if the antibodies are still there if you're willing to pay for it
>>
I have 4 dogs.

A bull mastif
A golden retriever, Rott and GSD mix.
A child born of the two above
And a Leonberger

The mastiff brought ticks and houses them. The big kind. they won't leave. they're everywhere. Parents have banned dogs from entering the house because of them (and mastiff can't be trained to stop pooping and peeing in house) so they stay outside now

How do i remove the ticks please? i bath them once a week with citrus and tick-removal. i wash their kernels twice a day with hot water and citrus to kill the ticks. we have a BIG backyard and front yard cos kinda rich so the ticks have spread all over. had to get the house fumigated 2 times in a year cos ticks started getting into the house and on the 2 cats. the ticks killed my other GSD/rott (leg paralysis) I'm having less time to take care of them because work and the ticks are starting to gather on the Leonberger too. please help
>>
File: DCP_0017.jpg (71KB, 432x576px) Image search: [Google]
DCP_0017.jpg
71KB, 432x576px
Dad moved in with me recently for health issues and he brought his Beagle with him. His coat and stuff he kept groomed but he could never really brush the dogs teeth cause of his shitty hands so hes got pretty bad doggo breath.

Its never too late to start brushing a dogs teeth right? And do you just use normal toothpaste/brush? Or you need something specific for them?
>>
>>2259394
If you're "kinda rich," see a professional.
>>
>>2259610
we did. led to first dog dying. switched professionals and the ticks leave for 2 weeks and come back again. then again, if professionals can't do anything guessing /an/ wouldn't be able to either
>>
>>2259643
Isn't there like month-long tick preventative you can get or something? The spot on stuff, or the oral.

Like, I wouldn't actually know. Only ticks we got here are cattle ticks, and only in certain parts of the country, so the vet doesn't sell the flea and tick stuff. Just the flea stuff. Never seen a tick in my life.
>>
>>2259657
There are a lot of spot on treatments. I use a Permethrin based one from the farm store on my dog monthly and it keeps fleas and ticks off. It's extremely cheap compared to Frontline/Advantage. Don't do this if you have a cat as it's toxic to felines.

The benefit of buying a veterinary quality spot on like Frontline is that if you have proof of purchase from your vet's office the company will pay to treat your home for fleas in the event that it doesn't work. This doesn't apply if you buy Frontline from the pet store.
>>
>>2259657
I give my dogs Bravecto. Stops fleas and ticks for 3 months with one dose. Never had to see if it works on ticks, but the only fleas I ever see on my dogs are dead/dying, so I can only assume it works equally as well.

You can only get it from your vet though. There are lots and lots of similar products. Go talk to your vet and see what they think.
>>
>>2259601
There's dog-specific toothpaste. I've seen it at petsmart/pet valu, walmart, pretty much anywhere that has pet supplies. Usually theres a kit available with a normal length brush just with smaller bristles, and a tube of toothpaste.
>>
>>2259394
Treat your yard for ticks and put monthly flea and tick killing drops on your pets
>>
thoughts on the furminator? my dog sheds like mad
>>
>>2261244
Furminator also cuts live, still attached hair.
>>
>>2261245
I've head from a few people that it damages the top coat. but I've heard from other people that it only pulls out dead undercoat.
>>
We have a couple of Great Pyrs - big white cotton balls - and use this Nature's Miracle coat-whitening formula. It really works, too. They seem fine with it.
>>
>>2259195
>you know, that weird "warm dog" smell.

We call that "outdoor dog smell" in our house. I hate that smell.
>>
>>2258771
>>2258948
>>2259179
>>2261244
>>2261245
when I still had a dog that shed very badly this was a big help. they even make a special pet hair brush for $30 extra. you can get the whole unit refurb for $150 on ebay. literally every day, 100% full of hair when I got back home. you can even brush the hair off the couch if you're lazy and tomorrow it will pick it up
>>
i let my gr swim in a lake from time to time

twice a day in summer, once a week in winter

it stinks when swimming too often but thats life
i heard shampoo is no good for doggs

i groom it when it changes from winter to summer fur
>>
>>2261280
where did you hear that shampoo wasn't good for dogs?
>>
>>2261284
Shampoo strips away the oils in the fur, then the skin produce more oil than usual, making it smell worst/stronger over time.

Humans have the same mechanism (only our oils are not so stinky and way weaker).
>>
File: doggo.webm (2MB, 718x404px) Image search: [Google]
doggo.webm
2MB, 718x404px
Give em a good rub, don't ignore the teeth.
>>
>>2261309
Well fuck me it even looks like it's smiling at the end.
>>
File: basically the same.png (266KB, 914x902px) Image search: [Google]
basically the same.png
266KB, 914x902px
>>2261314
Bears are basically the same as dogs senpai. And those are basically the same as Skunks. And those are basically the same as Mustelidae (includes weasels/otters etc.). And those are basically the same as Procyonidae (Includes raccons and others). And those are basically the same as Ailuridae. (Sole living representative: Red Panda)
>>
>>2259179
I have a psychopath dachshund, I want to take him to a groomer because he would look fan-fuckin-tastic but he's 20 lbs of pure brutality.
>>
File: IMG_20161110_131137.jpg (2MB, 3883x3006px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161110_131137.jpg
2MB, 3883x3006px
>>2258750
I use the following:
LtoR
Horizontal shedding rake
Curved slicker
Vertical shedding rake
Straight slicker
Square Paddle
Shed blade

Above: organic essential oil in lavender, top paw dog cologne, old mane and tail pet spray in melon.
>>
>>2261339

Also for baths I use Green's baby shampoo. All organic. I hate harsh smells and the sprays are quite subtle. The lavender oil is strong and I use it for my one husky who isn't a fan of baths.
>>
>>2261339
Does he shed a lot of his top coat? What tool is best for that?
>>
>>2261343

One is a husky the other is a schnauzer mutt.

The husky like typical huskies blows a lot of under coat. So I use the slicker and under coat rakes. The blade is good for removing dead too coat. These would be my absolute MUSTS for a long and medium coats. For a short coat dog like your labs, and beagles you can probably get away with a good stiff bristle brush and shed blade.
Absolutely avoid furminators. They're trash.
>>
>>2261244
Look at something called a Sleekez
>>
A metal comb works really good on my medium length fur dog. You wouldn't think her coat is long enough to tangle but it does.
>>
I have questions! Does deshedding shampoo and conditioner actually work? I have to brush my dog every day when she's blowing coat, it would be great to have all the dead fur just come out at once in the bath.
>>
>>2261801
Sort of. They lessen the problem. You will see more hair come out during bathtime and less come off during cuddles. I also recommend lots of brushing while the dog is still wet as well as after drying.

I think a thorough daily brushing is just as effective though, these products are mainly for people who don't want to bother much with grooming.
>>
>>2261288
this

washing dogs with shampoo unless they are really abnormally dirty is selfish animal cruelty
>>
>>2261288
dog shampoo is designed to clean the dog without drying out the skin or coat. people who complain that it dried out their dogs skin didn't dilute the shampoo properly or didn't rinse it out thoroughly.

i bathe my dog every two weeks. she has a beautiful healthy coat.

>>2261816
this is classic /an/ style bait, you need to try harder.
>>
>>2261821
Plenty people just repeat old memes (reminds me of something else about dogs? Can't remember what exactly though) because old dog shampoo really was not so good for their coat. All fixed now.
>>
>>2258771
I almost have enough wool for a Pullover from our old German Shepard. He doesn't even smell like dog.
>>
How can I bathe my puppy without having him scratch the shit out of me and trying to escape every 5 seconds?
>>
>>2263988
Trim his nails
>>
>>2263988
get him used to each part of the process over time, give him treats for behaving well. so like start by putting treats in the tub, when he's chill in the tub give him treats. once he's cool with that move on to putting water in the tub with him, give him treats. so on and so forth
>>
>>2261821
>>2261833
still cant see the necessity
>>
>>2264122
She gets dirty and needs to be washed. It's not 100% necessary, but it doesn't do harm and I prefer her having a clean coat. So I bathe often.
>>
>dog is scared as shit of water
>had to corner him using a hose everytime I try to bathe him
>this worsen his fear of water
how do I fix this mistake
>>
>>2258764
>once or twice a week
that is too much bathing mate

>>2265523
my dog hates water too. My top suggestion is never spraying them with a hose. Since it's too late for you if you have a bath in your house use that and close the door. Keep reassuring them and don't take too long. Also don't pour water on their face/ears. Make sure the water isn't too hot or cold (think the temperature for a little kid). Dogs have a lower heat tolerance than humans.

They'll probably never like being bathed, my dog hates it. She tolerates it to an extent now though.
>>
>>2263988
also your dog only needs a bath once a month if that.
>>
>>2265538
what if my dog gets dirty more often than once a month? she rolls in dirt, gets other dogs spit in her fur from playing, gets saltwater and sand in her coat at the beach, etc.
>>
>>2265714
If a little dirt and drool is too much for you then you shouldn't have gotten a dog. Bathing too often is terrible for your dogs skin.
>>
>>2266897
Bathing with harsh shampoo would be drying. I use gentle shampoo and dilute it as directed. Her skin is healthy and she's nice and clean.

Honestly, some dogs only need a bath a few times a year and some need them very often. It depends on the coat and how active the dog is.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.