[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi! I'm writing a Star Trek Next Gen fan fic and in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: VentricosaXtrusmadensis-1.jpg (133KB, 516x1024px) Image search: [Google]
VentricosaXtrusmadensis-1.jpg
133KB, 516x1024px
Hi! I'm writing a Star Trek Next Gen fan fic and in the story Wesley buys a plant called the (Some alien world name here) Milker Plant. It's a plant with flexible stalks at the end of which are long tubes that, on their native world, latch onto passing female herbivores (alien cows) and milk their teats for nutrients. Like a pitcher plant that sucks like a mouth.
Wesley is going to use this for a different purpose.
Problem is, I can't figure out how to make a legit plant name for it in the traditional Linnaeus style, to add that extra bit of authenticity.

Anybody have an idea? I need something like "Nepenthes ventricosa" that sounds real.
>>
You could be a stereotype and use lacta-something in the name.
>>
File: lookathim.jpg (219KB, 1273x1024px) Image search: [Google]
lookathim.jpg
219KB, 1273x1024px
>>2258646
>latch onto passing female herbivores (alien cows) and milk their teats for nutrients

also no plant can survive like that, at least make it evolutionary possible
>>
File: data89975.gif (166KB, 144x117px) Image search: [Google]
data89975.gif
166KB, 144x117px
>tng fanfic about wesley fucking alien plants
>>
>>2258725

I disagree

>>2258755

It's just a subplot
>>
>>2258677

So lacta should be in the name. If the planet it's from is called Jakaria, maybe Jakari-ensis lacta-???
>>
>>2258953
lactavorus?
>>
>>2258970

oOOOOO! Good!
>>
>>2258953
You've got the right idea with the -ensis suffix, however it only applies to species as opposed to genera naming conventions.
>>
>>2258999

Oh. The plant's purple and red, if that helps.

Something-something Jakari-ensis lactavorus?
>>
>>2259030

No, I guess species comes last? So

Something-something Lactavorus Jaraki-ensis? I'm confused
>>
>>2259033
Just 2 names should be ample. So a genus name, the overall group the species belongs to, goes first, e.g. Nepenthes, Rattus, Homo. Then it's followed by the specific species e.g. ventricosa, sapiens etc.. So you've pretty much got it, there's just no need for anything preceding the proposed Lactavorus jarakiensis (species names are always lower-case too).

Here's a list of colours to consider, though it looks like you've already arrived at quite a fitting name.
http://www.applet-magic.com/botlatin.htm
>>
>>2259186

EGGcellent!
>>
>>2258646
That thing looks like a de-gloved testicle.

Fuck it, just use my captcha, it sounds sciencey enough: Palestra porthcurno
>>
>>2258646
just imagine if that thing preyed on human mating

bet it would give a mean succ of dic
>>
>>2259280
>porthcurno
l-lewd...
>>
>>2258646
its just me or that thumbnail looked like a horse dick
>>
>>2259633
Doubt it... the pitchers of that hybrid have a texture similar to hardened papier mâché, and the toothy peristome rim at the top is even tougher, with downward-facing spikes. You'd have more fun sticking it down a Pringles tube.
>>
Thank you everyone for your input! Here's the scene in case anyone cares or sees room for improvement:

The results of Danny's blood analysis revealed a deficiency in almost everything, especially Niacin—which would explain his craving for Qalasian sprouts. So Beverly administered a heavy boost of broad spectrum nutrients, adjusting the monitoring equipment to keep on eye on his absorption ratio. Her eyes blurring from tiredness, she called it a day.

Before leaving, Beverly reminded Selar to keep an eye on the boy's condition. Selar seemed amused at the idea that a Vulcan could forget her duties. There was a human-joke in there, probably.
Did Vulcans even have jokes?

On the way to her quarters, she happened upon her son, as he emerged from a connecting corridor ahead of her. Wesley was obviously in a hurry, and he seemed spooked when she call his name.
In his arms he carried a big, heavy potted plant. It had purple flowers that looked like leathery bananas, supported by thick stalks held together with an elastic band.
“For me?” asked Beverly. She clutched her chest in surprise when the stalks shook themselves, looking like agitated goose necks.
Wesley looked aghast by his mother's suggestion, and she couldn't help noticing that he was avoiding eye contact. “No, mom, it's for a school project.”
He's definitely up to something.
They started walking again, and Beverly had to scurry to keep up.
“So what kind of plant is it? I don't think I've seen it before.” She thought she heard him sigh before he answered.
“It's called Lactavorus jakariensis,” he said. “From Jakaria 3.”
“Really? I'm not familiar with Jakaria. Is this Lacta-what-have-you sentient?”
“No.”
“Looks it.” The bundle of tubular flowers had bent themselves so the opening of their stubby petals tapped against his chest and neck. It looked like they were sniffing him.
>>
But soon they arrived at the door to their shared quarters. “It's interesting, anyway,” she added with an uneasy grin.
Wesley nodded, but continued to avoid her gaze. “Well,” he said, “I'd better get these things watered and fed before I start my homework.”
Fed?
Reaching out for the control panel, and still grinning awkwardly, Beverly pressed the icon that unlocked their door. When it opened, revealing the subdued lighting of their little living room, she gestured for him to go on ahead. “Gentlemen and vegetation first, m'lad.”
>>
File: xmKrHrP.gif (3MB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
xmKrHrP.gif
3MB, 512x288px
>>2260819
>“Gentlemen and vegetation first, m'lad.”
>>
>>2260840

I didn't even think of that, but maybe I'll keep it in. Hoping for feedback desu. Maybe I should ask /lit/ too
>>
>>2258646

>including wesley
>at all
>>
>>2261216

Bev/Wes is hot
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.