[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I can't get my parent's dog to stop pulling/lunging

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: dscf1348.jpg (48KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
dscf1348.jpg
48KB, 600x450px
I can't get my parent's dog to stop pulling/lunging on a leash. I recently bought a lead collar I'm trying to get her to get used to but she changes from 'YAY WALK' to 'GET THIS THING OFF ME' every two seconds.

I've leashed trained a lot of dogs but she's very stubborn/too excited. Any 'problem' she had was solved from tiring her out, exercise and whatnot but I can't tire her out enough to not get so excited about walks even if I'm just doing it in the backyard. This is even after running around with her for two hours and she drops. She has perfect recall. When she is pulling, telling her to stop and she will either sit or lay down. But as soon as you take another step, there she goes again. So here I am taking one step, she pulls, tell her to stop, she stops, take another step, she pulls, repeats, etc. Right now I'm stuck at that. She also developed a new thing, where if lying down, she does thing where instead of pulling, she just crawls along the ground. She can go across the whole yard like this, but if she's on all fours she just pulls. I am sure prong collars/choke chains would kill her, since she chokes herself out with normal collars.

What else can I do? How do I get her to accept the lead better? I don't feel like I can even give her treats for not pawing at it, since she switches from leaving it/to giving it hell too fast to reinforce. I keep her on a short leash at my side, turn back, don't let her sniff things/go where she wants until she's calm, etc. Wonderful dog, good with people, good with other dogs, perfect recall/commands in the house/yard and I'd really like to walk her more but I'm having trouble hammering leash manners into her.
>>
>>2257169
What I did, was when my dog pulls I walk and pull him back a few meters and make him sit right next to me and then continue walking. I keep doing that everytime he pulls till he learns that if he pulls, we won't be going anywhere. I saw this on TV and it works. My dog stopped doing that after I did this. If that doesn't work, get a head collar, when your dog pulls, his head will be pulled too and it'll make him stop. Also, if your dog tries to remove the head collar make sure he doesn't. Pull on that fucker.
>>
>>2257169
>I recently bought a lead collar I'm trying to get her to get used to but she changes from 'YAY WALK' to 'GET THIS THING OFF ME' every two seconds.
Did you actually READ THE FUCKING MANUAL that comes with those?
>>
>>2257177
I have tried that many times with a normal collar. Worked all the time with any other dogs I've walked with, many a dogs not my own. Ive even tried refusing to leave the property with this dog or just in the yard. The other dogs learned that just seeing a leash doesn't mean we are going for a walk(when leash training in the yard) but even in just in the backyard this dog thinks we are going on a magical LSD adventure.

I did just buy this lead collar today. I've tried three times with it. A total of two hours with trying to keep it on her. Which is nothing, really. I pull, make her sit, she sits, but when she gets up she goes fucking nuts trying to get it off. I give her treats when sitting nice with it. If a leash is in view she seems to accept longer than just having it on. Do I just keep doing this? From what I imagine what may go on in her head when I say sit, stop, lay down, etc that's it. She freezes. But as soon as she gets up again it's back to whatever.

>>2257183
Didn't have one but I did look it up beforehand. This is not so much 'how do I lead collar' but also advice on how to deal with a dog so excited she can barely contain herself. My parents have a large yard, my family plays with her, I do when I'm here, etc. You can tire her out until she drops but once on a walk she is overcharged. It's not my dog and i don't live here, but they want to be able to walk her more easily. I want to help and also learn in case I come across this again.
>>
>>2257189
The only reason I brought that up is because that sounds exactly what happens when people dont read the manual with head halters and introduce them to the dog too quickly.
>>
Sounds like my boy. Even if I poop him out some before a walk, he still goes nuts and is just totally outta control.

To be honest with you, I have just learned to live with it. He doesn't pull off my arm, but he is just always ahead of me and just pushing the limit of having a taunt leash. When he gets too excited, I just stop and tug him a bit. I know I am being a shitty dog owner by saying this, but he seems to have lots of fun on walks and so long as he doesnt lose his shit too often because of a squirrel, I have fun walking him.

Have you considered a prong collar? They get a lot of hate, but they can be really helpful for dogs like yours. It didnt work well on my boy because he is way way too headstrong, but many people have success with them.

You can also try to walk with a toy with her. Make a game out of it. Play with her and let her have the toy when she is walking besides you. Some dogs take to it really well.
>>
Zak George, Kikopup. Youtube.

You're welcome.
>>
>>2257169
>She also developed a new thing, where if lying down, she does thing where instead of pulling, she just crawls along the ground.
This is adorable.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.