[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want a dog but I don't think I'd have the patience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1471997650571.jpg (31KB, 313x286px) Image search: [Google]
1471997650571.jpg
31KB, 313x286px
I want a dog but I don't think I'd have the patience to raise it properly (house breaking, crate training, obedience training sorry I just don't have it in me). But at the same time I don't want to miss out on the puppy years of true bonding either and just end up adopting some adult dog that will always be aloof.

So having said that, in a strict pluses and minuses analysis of the above points, what is the better option for me?
>>
>some adult dog that will always be aloof
that's not 100% true. adult dogs can bond to new owners.

you're not going to want an ill-behaved, non-house-trained dog no matter how closely you bond.

you could try finding a 1-year old dog that's been mostly trained. you'd miss out on most of the bad puppy times and still have a lot of time to bond.
>>
>>2256224
>But at the same time I don't want to miss out on the puppy years of true bonding either and just end up adopting some adult dog that will always be aloof.

LOL don't get a dog
>>
If you just want companionship without having to train find an abused dog and let it warm up to you
>>
>>2256224
>I want a dog but I don't think I'd have the patience to raise it properly (house breaking, crate training, obedience training sorry I just don't have it in me)
training is an ongoing process. there isn't some magic cutoff date where you get to start being lazy with your dog.

>But at the same time I don't want to miss out on the puppy years of true bonding either and just end up adopting some adult dog that will always be aloof.
yeah, don't get a dog. that's the best option for you.
>>
>>2256264
>yeah, don't get a dog. that's the best option for you.
Explain.
>>
>>2256297
Because you don't want to train it. Adult dogs need training too.

An adult dog likely won't be perfectly potty trained. It will need to learn the rules of your house. It needs to learn where it's allowed to be in the house, what it's allowed to chew, to eat, where it's can run about. It needs to be trained not to bark at new stimuli. If it's in the pound, it has behavior issues it needs to work through as it was either taken there by an exasperated owner or lived in an ownerless environment. Adoption is great, but sometimes shelters go for propaganda tactics to get dogs out the door, so don't be fooled into thinking you can just grab a dog easy peazy just because you are "giving it a better life".
>>
I did the foster thing for awhile including one I just found at the park by my house. All of them were house trained already when I took them in. A couple did have an accident the first day or two but I put that down to nerves from being in a new place. Anyway if you go through a place that uses fosters you have a better idea about what you are getting but they are also usually more of a PITA to adopt from.
>>
Get a cat instead, mine never needed to be trained l, shits outside somewhere and they are great companions.
>all that work training a dog so it knows not to shit in the house
>walking it around 3 times a day
>picking up shit constantly
get a cat instead
>>
>>2258560
>>all that work training a dog so it knows not to shit in the house
when people talk about dog training, they mean obedience and tricks.
when people talk about cat training, they mean nothing because cat training doesnt exist.

potty training a dog is trivial and is not what people are talking about when they tell OP that an adult dog needs training as well.

>Get a cat instead
>shits outside somewhere
so you're suggesting dog owners just let their dogs roam free?
I can guarantee you that outside dogs would have no trouble not shitting inside, even without any potty training
>>
>>2256297
all dogs, even adults, require working with, patience, and cooperation

sure, training puppies is a lot of work, but even a trained dog will need to learn a lot and adapt to its new environment.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.