[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice for a crate whiner? It's been 2 months and still

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_20161023_145407.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161023_145407.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Advice for a crate whiner? It's been 2 months and still having issues with barking and whining at night. Some recap:

Started crate training at 2 months. Whined often, especially because he wanted to drink water before bed.

Decided to move him outside after a month so he could drink freely. Still whines.

Moved him back into a larger crate this month. Whines. Wants to sleep on the tile floor because sleeping in the crate is not as cool.

Should I literally buy tile and put it in the crate? I'm at a loss. He never barks at anything else, very chill during the day, so its difficult to teach him a "quiet" command without accidentally giving him attention for barking.
>>
Give him the old yeller treatment like he deserves
>>
File: IMG_20161030_125704.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161030_125704.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>2255934
His mighty tongue would just deflect the bullets. Need a better option.
>>
>>2255936
Shock collar for when he whines.
>>
>>2255924
Train him so you don't have to keep it in a cage like a horrible person.
>>
>>2255986
This. I'll never understand why assholes choose to cage their pets and intentionally cause behavioral issues instead of training them. Training isn't that hard.
>>
>>2255986
It sounds like OP is only crating at night. He's literally asking how to train his dog to not whine.
>>
>>2256000
Yea, we just crate at night. He's teething now so I definitely don't want him roaming the house without supervision.
>>
not exactly the same situation but i live in an apartment and the first day i went to work after i brought him home there was a note on my door saying he barked all day :\

i trained him out of it in one night by putting him in a crate and leaving the room

when he whined and barked i would just go up to the crate and say "quiet" and leave the room again

when he was quiet for 10 minutes i would let him out for a bit and give him lots of praise and attention and treats for a while and then calmed him down and put him back in the crate, this time he had to be quiet for 20 minutes

repeat, etc.

it was a long, restless night but i had a quiet dog at the end of it
>>
>>2256032
Thank you, I'll try this. I should have mentioned he has a sister pup and our roommate sleeps with her at night. This is the only extended time he's away from her so I fear they are too attached, since she's moving out in a month or so.
>>
>>2256033
if that's the case you might want to put the crate in your room at night once he's learned to be quiet, they like the company

also, this may or may not be important, but when i would go tell the dog to be quiet i didn't let him see me, i would just stand outside the door
>>
>>2255986
crating IS training
>>
>>2256035
Actually good to know. I was worried I was encouraging it by coming in to tell him to be quiet.
>>
>>2256041
No it's not. It's the opposite of training. It just makes the problem worst because instead of tackling the issue head on, you're just locking the dog in a crate and hope he grows out of his behavioral issues by himself.
>>
>>2256055
Depends on how you go about it. Crating helped me potty train my dog, keeps her safe in the car, and helped her learn to settle during stressful times.

Throwing your dog in a crate and doing nothing else isn't training. It's a process.
>>
>>2256056
This. You can misuse just about any training method, it's mostly about the user, not the technique.
>>
>>2255924
what do you do before you go to bed, maybe play fetch or run a little with your dog to tire him out.

also post more pics.
>>
File: IMG_20161023_230920.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161023_230920.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>2256067
I've tried two methods, tiring him out and immediately crating and also tiring out, 1 hour with us on the couch, and then crate. The latter he likes more, as he likes to have company falling asleep, and then put to bed when he's already half asleep. If I let him out of the crate, he doesnt want to go play, he makes a bee-line for the couch or tile floor and falls asleep, so he for sure wants to sleep.

He also loves to drink water, so he will go searching for it before bed, often running into the bathroom because he knows the bathtub produces water. I try to cut it off an hour before bed.

We can get him to sort of not whine if we play are cards perfectly, but it's tough walking on eggshells every night.

He also sleeps with his eyes open, like a weirdo. He's 100% asleep in this pic.
>>
>>2256098
my dogs (boston terrier) have done that too, its not that weird.
>>
File: 20160528_000752.jpg (3MB, 1890x2577px) Image search: [Google]
20160528_000752.jpg
3MB, 1890x2577px
Throw a shoe hard as fuck at the crate. It scares the shit out of them and they shut up. Then you praise them for being quiet. My buddy did it and told me how good it worked so I did it when my dog was a puppy. Only had to do it once.

>Inb4 "abuse"
It was no more abuse than a mild shock training collar. Look at this happy boy
>>
File: IMG_20161029_212120.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161029_212120.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>2256488
I don't know if he would be fazed, honestly, he's a low fear dog. I accidentally did this, getting him super used to loud noises and everything with treat and clicker. He has a happy curiosity of the vacuum, just sticks out his tongue and tilts head. I will try it tonight though.

I tried water spray bottle when he was whining outdoors. He would run in fear once he saw me pick up the bottle, but immediately keep whining once I walked back out of view.
>>
>>2256488
Wow, shoe method was actually quite effective. I just did a medium throw with a flip-flop 3 times and he quieted down. Gave treat at 1 minute, 5, then 10 of being settled down, so ended on a good note and sleeping soundly in crate.
>>
>>2256680
>>2256680
Shoe method confirmed best dog training program
>>
>>2256488
>It was no more abuse than a mild shock training collar
with the gigantic difference that being confined to a tiny-as-fuck cage can REALLY amp up anxiety and stress. and also shock collars are abuse anyway

>look at this happy boy
Ive seen pictures of smiling child soldiers who later told stories of how they were forced to rape / eat their parents at the age of 7.

how does being happy in a photograph correlate to never having been abused?

tl;dr your an retard and shouldnt be allowed to own pets or have children
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.