[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I adopted my dog about two weeks ago. So far, he's been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

File: CvPfldAWEAA0dh4.jpg (228KB, 765x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CvPfldAWEAA0dh4.jpg
228KB, 765x1024px
I adopted my dog about two weeks ago. So far, he's been sleeping with me during the nights, and on the kitchen during the days (IF he naps). He has his own comfy bed and has water at all times.

The thing is, I heard after a few days, I should stop him from sleeping with me or he'll start feeling anxious without me. Can I let him sleep on the kitchen during the night? Is there a downside to it? So far, he hasn't cried or anything.

Pic related; my puppy.
>>
kick him once in a while so he doesnt get too attached
>>
File: 1473989690076.png (903KB, 693x1021px) Image search: [Google]
1473989690076.png
903KB, 693x1021px
>>2255320
>a young puppy
>not making him sleep in the crate
It's like you want him to shit on your bed and all over your kitchen.

Also>>2255321 this, basically.
If you teach it from a very early age that it can sleep in your bed and jump up there whenever it wants, you're going to have behavior problems when it gets into its adolescent phase and starts acting rebellious. It's going to think you're not in charge of it and act out.
Just force him down to the ground and hold him there until it submits so it knows you're its boss. Give it a few smacks so it knows what happens when it thinks your bed is his bed too.
>>
>>2255322
Yeah, I've heard about that too, which is why he doesn't sleep in my bed during the day. He also doesn't shit on my bed (he just starts crying if he wants to go and is on it).

Wouldn't it be ok if I just let him go to the bathroom just before making him go to sleep? I get up at 6-7am normally.
>Just force him down to the ground and hold him there until it submits
I've tried that SO many times, and he just keeps struggling. Really, he NEVER gives up. What do?!
>>
>>2255324
Just let him sleep in you bed. All this behavior problems BS from it is just that, BS. Behavior problems happen because you fucked up elsewhere not where the dog fucking sleeps.
>>
Let him sleep in your bed unless he starts biting your ears while you try to sleep. That was what got my last puppy exiled from the bed. Then chuck him in a cardboard box beside the bed, crate him in your room, or put him in the kitchen.

Worst thing you'll come to find in the kitchen in the morning is a mess. It's easier to know when they need to get up if they're in the room with you.
>>
>>2255328
>>2255325
>>2255320
How the fuck do your dogs stay put long enough to sleep in your bed?

My puppy can't stay still for more than 3 seconds and barely stays in my lap even after long tiring walks.
>>
>>2255328
>>2255325
I'll let him sleep on the kitchen for today and get up early to check on him. If I find I mess, then I'll assume he didn't feel good alone and I'll bring his bed to my room.

Thanks, guys!
>>
>>2255330
By playing with him beforehand. He's usually just too tired to do anything else on the bed.

Also, turning off the light and staying still seems to do the trick.
>>
>>2255330
Well, you know, neither of my dogs sleep on my bed because it's a single and I've got a GSD and an Akita. There's no space now they're grown.

But when the Shepherd was a little wee puppy he'd conk out after big full day and just turning out the light and settling down let him know it was time to settle. He's wake me in the middle of the night, crying, and I'd take him out for a piddle or a poop, then back to bed.

Then he got a bit older and livelier and bitier and wanted to play past bedtime, and he'd nip my ears while I was trying to sleep, and that was it. He was banished from my bed.

I have slept with him on the bed on a couple of occasions when I've been home alone, but he's a space hog and will happily take up almost the entire bed by himself, so it usually ended up being a hot and uncomfortable experience for both of us.

The Akita is weirdly respectful of boundaries and doesn't get on furniture without invitation, which is not something we trained into him but which he just does naturally. He'd prefer to curl up on the floor by the bed, not be on it.
>>
He's fine sleeping in your bed OP if that's what you want. Focus more on socializing, building his courage, and a good communication. Make it so he wants to listen to you, not that he has to, and you'll be able to tackle almost any problems you might face.

YouTube is also a wonderful resource- kikopup and zak George are good trainers, and it probably wouldn't hurt to go to a puppy class or too.
>>
>>2255324
>>>2255322
>Yeah, I've heard about that too, which is why he doesn't sleep in my bed during the day. He also doesn't shit on my bed (he just starts crying if he wants to go and is on it).
>Wouldn't it be ok if I just let him go to the bathroom just before making him go to sleep? I get up at 6-7am normally.
>>Just force him down to the ground and hold him there until it submits
>I've tried that SO many times, and he just keeps struggling. Really, he NEVER gives up. What do?!

>>2255325
>>>2255324
>Just let him sleep in you bed. All this behavior problems BS from it is just that, BS. Behavior problems happen because you fucked up elsewhere not where the dog fucking sleeps.

Not true.
When the dog sleeps on the ground and you sleep in the higher bed you're saying to him you're the alpha and you get the nice comfy high up bed.
He needs to know his place in the pack.
My golden sleeps on my sister's bed next to her. And he sulks like a baby when she leaves sometimes, despite being fairly trained and I do my best to not reward his excitement and the like etc.
>>
>>2255330
My two adult dogs always sleep on the bed with me. One is a smaller dog and she always sleeps on the second pillow by my head. The other is a medium sized dog, and he always sleeps under the covers. When I lie down, he expects me to hold the covers up so he can go under. Is cute.
>>
>>2255322
I want to lick that woman's shoulder and waist.
>>
>>2255324
>>Just force him down to the ground and hold him there until it submits
>I've tried that SO many times, and he just keeps struggling. Really, he NEVER gives up. What do?!
Anon, that's complete bullshit, don't do it.
>>
>>2255404
>And he sulks like a baby when she leaves sometimes

Because he's been left alone with the faggot who believes in alpha theory
>>
>>2255430
Dont listen to this guy, puppys only understand body language

You need to show physical dominance with wrestling growling and ear biting

Puppies ideally would get all this from their mother but youre the mother now, so just do what momma dogs do

Until the pup matures and understands who really calls the shots itll be stubborn and struggle against authority, just takes time
>>
>>2255324
You're teaching your dog to be terrified of you and to not trust that you won't harm him. Dominance theory is outdated and produces fear aggressive dogs. Never hit your dog or force him when he's uncomfortable.
>>
All these alpha spewing faggots are full of shit, OP. Let the dog sleep in your bed if you want it to, just be assertive and don't let it have its way if it tries to steal your spot or push you around in bed.

My dog sleeps in my bed with me and he's perfectly well-behaved.
>>
>>2255458
Ive hit and forced my dogs to do things for them to learn

Lo and behold they dont bite, they arent timid and as a matter of fact ive even given some away Nd their new owners never had any complaints

Dominance theory is how the world works and dogs understand this better than you do apparently
>>
>>2255464
I see you have brain problems.
>>
>>2255464
>All the dogs I've abused never seem to have any complaints when I give them to families that won't beat the shit out of them :^)
>>
>>2255466
I dont beat my dogs, i give them slaps when they do fucked up shit

Pretty sure if a puppy draws blood by biting, a hard slap to the muzzle will make it reconsider how it affects the world

Sorry but im pretty sure you spank your kids when they step out of line dipshit, dogs are just able bodied 3 year olds
>>
>>2255469
That's not how you presented it. The preceding conversation made it sound much worse than light slaps. Of course if a dog is doing something real bad you give that fucker a smack.
>>
>>2255471
What i was trying to get across was that you need to push the dog forward

Its scared of going in the car?
Make it get in the car and stay there until it gets used to it

It wants to bite?
Slap it every time it does so they know how it feels

Its disobedient?
Establish whod in charge

This is how mothers train their pups so why would i change the method?
>>
>>2255473
Forcing a dog into situations where the dog is uncomfortable is a bad idea. The dog will feel unsafe and fearful. I want my dog to feel safe with me.

You're not a mother dog. You're a person and you need to treat your dog with respect. Dominance theory based training methods were used in the past because people didn't know any better. Now we know that there are better ways of training.
>>
>>2255473
That simply doesn't work with a lot of dogs. It has its place but it's not an all-encompassing method, and it also neglects that this is only a small fraction of a mother dog's behavior. She also provides a reassuring presence for the pups they can retreat to when they're too frightened, and provides encouragement for good and social behaviors. Normal dominance training doesn't cast the human trainer in this role, and essentially stunts the dog.
>>
>>2255474
Jesus christ you sound like the most pass agg faggot ever

The dogs only uncomfortable for a little while then for the rest of its life its fine, fair trade if you ask me

Aldo why would it feel unsafe with you if you help it through the process?

Im in the role that a mother dog takes and if i dont act out that role accordingly ive failed myself and my dog.

Mother dogs treat their pups with respect, but tht doesnt mean you spare the rod and spoil the child.

Dominance theory is how dogs think man, this is a psychological fact.
>>2255476
Im not talking about dominance training im talking about how dogs think. They believe somebody has to be in charge, therefore it has to be you. So show them that. Yes of course be a reassuring presence and nurture them but make sure you draw hard fucking lines for them to stay behind. You wont stop an aggressive dog from biting if it doesnt know know that biting hurts. Solution? The mothers bite the pups ears a little hard to show them. You should do the same or Youre stunting your dogs growth. A hard slap in the right situation is nevera bad thing. Your dog hides from people and other dogs? Make it socialize. Its very simple, a mothers guidance isnt wrong.
>>
>>2255479
So you bite your pup's ears when it bites too hard when playing?
I guess >>2255465 was right.
>>
>>2255486
You gotta speak their language

You can act like somethings wrong with me just because i want to communicate effectively with my best friend but it doesnt change the fact that it works
>>
>>2255479
"make it socialize"

socialization is delicate process. forcing a dog into a situation where he's scared of a person or another dog is counterproductive and will result in more fear.
>>
>>2255489
You have got to be one incompetent motherfucker if you cant bring a dog to socialize

Are you sure youre qualified to own a pet?
>>
>>2255490
Anon, if tomorrow they made it mandatory to pass a test to keep/own a dog, you'd the one crying here that your dog has been taken away.
>>
>>2255490
Do you understand what socializing is? It's teaching your dog that new experiences aren't to be feared, not scaring the shit out of him by force.
>>
>>2255488

Shut up, Caesar Wetback.
>>
>>2255495
I go to the vet every month and they tell me to come back in a year

Thats how healthy my dog is

My dog never never bites, jumps or barks.

Shes eager to meet everyone she sees and has raised 2 litters of similarly tempered pups.

Thats how much i take care of my dog.

"Oh well he bit his dogs ear a couple times so that doesnt matter"

You might be too caught up in believe whatever fairy tales youve been told about raising dogs but i prefer to do it the right way and if that makes me unfit then who tf is?

>>2255497
How little do you think about your own companions that you think having them sniff and get sniffed will scare the shit out of them? You really think having someone pet them will traumatize a dog? As long as youre there for reassurance there is literally no problem and eventually the dog will recognize this.

>>2255499
You think comparing me to one of the most successful dog trainers is an insult?
>>
>>2255502
I want to believe the truth, that you're talking shit on the Internet because you've failed at raising your dog, which, while not a complete wreck, isn't a good doggie by any measure, because of you.
>>
>>2255506
I think you just feel that the shit i say makes a little too much sense and that youve been doing something wrong without realizing it.

You probably love your dog and dont want to ever fail it but if what i say is true then you have in some way so you now cant accept it and would rather paint me as wrong than own up and start changing things for the better.

Standard shit, not alot of people take this angle when it comes to their pets so they hear mine and have whiplash because they think theyr such perfect owners. Nobody is pal.
>>
>>2255510
>>ure doin it wrong
>Coming from the man who bites a pup's ears.
OK lol.
>>
>>2255513
Like i said, you cant say it doesnt work if it does.

Im communicating clearly with my dog and you think its a bad thing which says alot about you as an owner
>>
>>2255502
Okay but have you ACTUALLY bitten a dog's ear? Because I did once and it was fucking gross. It was all hairy and tasted like how dog smells and I had to go wash my mouth. Never mind that the dog I did it to was a prized asshole and didn't give an flying fuck that I'd bitten him.

Like, there are better training methods out there. Ones that are less disgusting and useless.
>>
>>2255684
1.yes i have
2.keep your fucking dog clean man and dont use your tongue wtf
3.i dont do it to full grown dogs, just puppies in training
4. You have to apply pressure until they do give a flying fuck, their ears are sensitive. Obviously dont break skin

Maybe there are better methods but i havent seen any that get the message across quite as clearly also i prefer to go with what a mother dog would do because i believe itll help the pup in the long run. To that end i also pick pups up exclusively by the scruff until a certain age and i tend to own multiple dogs at once so they have a same species reference point for other behaviors
>>
>>2255688
I do keep my dog clean, and this was way back when he WAS a puppy. He's just... fluffy. Always has been.

He was also the puppy that decided that making people scream by biting them was a perfectly acceptable game by 10 weeks and had everyone in the household terrified of him except for me.
>>
>>2255703
If your trying to say that ear biting doesnt work then lemme just point out you only did it once and incorrectly and obviously failed at instilling dicsipline in any other way. Also fluff is no good excuse not to just apply pressure and use teeth as ears arent even capable of having much fur anyway.

Or maybe youre making this up to make me look bad. Idk, but either way watch some dog whisperer and study up on people who live with large numbers of dogs. Shit 90 % of wolf shit on youtube translates perfectly to dogs. Maybe look up the people who live in the wild with wolf packs.

Wolf dog crosses are also pretty insightful.

The "nature is always right" policy scares alotta of people and evokes strong responses from detractors, but its also this type of thinking thats led to the success of the most prominent dog trainers and allowed people to live with ravenous wolves and never once come to be harmed.
>>
>>2255713
Cesar Millan is just as much a hack as Victoria Stilwell.
>>
>>2255720
Whats got you so convinced?
>>
my first dog was a bull terrier, when he was a pup he slept in a box, but when he got older i let him sleep in the leg section of the bed

sometimes during the night he would crawl up to my pillow, if i woke up i slapped his butt and pushed him down

one night when he was like 4 and i was on my way to bed, he was already laying in it growling at me when i came near the bed

it was his way of trying to become the leader, i remember i thought to myself that if i didnt act maybe he would maul me to death

i grabbed him by the legs and threw him off the bed and mauled him full force instead to show him whos boss, he went absolute crazy, like in a worldstar hip hop video and i was only in my underwear, i was genuinely scared he was almost 100lbs of lean muscle, but eventually he submitted and learn his place

the only time he ever tried to uprise, but it was fucking scary. I thought of it as a natural pack thing and he didnt made any serious wounds

beside that one time he was a legendary dog, a true one of a kind, i will never find a more loyal and good hearted dog in my life

i miss him
>>
>>2255713
wolfdogs are very timid and using any sort of force with them is going to result in behavior problems. the person who first came up with the "alpha wolf" thing has said he was wrong about it.
>>
>>2255792
Cool, i only said to use wolf dogs behavior a reference for dog behavior and to formulate a training method like that

Force isnt necessary, all thats necessary is that a dog knows its place and is healthy
>>
File: total moron.jpg (49KB, 300x392px) Image search: [Google]
total moron.jpg
49KB, 300x392px
>>2255713
>dog whisperer
>dogs are 90% wolf
>watch people with wolf pack
>>
>>2255806
>>
>>2255460

This.

I have two aussie shepherds and they sleep in my bed with me every night. They never get aggressive when I come to bed and they are there first, they just wag their tails and want me to pet them, and I gladly do. They have literally zero behavioral problems.

Half of the people commenting here have no business owning a dog.
>>
>>2255828
Both my dogs sleep in my bed. We all have our spots, so when they realize I am coming to lie down they move so I have my space.
>>
>>2255828
>They have literally zero behavioral problems.

You just don't, or refuse, to recognize them....
>>
>>2255456
There are literal professional trade schools now that you can go to learn dog training, and fucking none of them go off this, outdated, PROVEN WRONG, bullshit.

If the mods around here ever did their fucking job, I would report you for bringing your troll add shit from/b/ and spreading it around like feces.
>>
>>2255479
>Dominance theory is how dogs think man, this is a psychological fact.

No it's not, and it's been disproved for a while now. Just google it.

And if you go to any puppy class they will tell you the same thing. We have learned better methods, and it's stupid to ignore that actual scientific studies and reports have been done on this just because it's easier and quicker for you to get your own anger out rather than coming at it like a puzzle that needs to be solved.
>>
>>2255479
Also, no, mother dogs do not fucking bite their puppies ears. I have never seen a dog do that unless they were playing.

Mother dogs yelp and get up and move away from the pup, or they do a half growl/have bark warning a no show a little teeth, then go back to ignoring the pup.

You are literally spitting out shit from very old wolf studies that were fucking disproven.
>>
>>2255502
>raised 2 litters
OK now I know you're fucking trolling. I'm done.
>>
>>2255516
BECAUSE THE DOG IS FUCKING AFRAID OF YOU NOW IDIOT
IT DOESN'T MEAN ITS A GOOD METHOD
>>
Dominance/pack hierarchy/alpha dog training developed from a theory about wolves that we now know is false. There are more effective training methods that don't have the risk of causing fear aggression or other behavior problems.
>>
>>2255872
Good. The dog fucking should be to some extent. People who treat their dogs like babies and up getting bitten by their own dogs because they're too naïve and retarded to show dominance over their dogs. If you treat your dog like a human, it will treat you like a dog.
>>
>>2255876
But Anon, how can I feel like a real manly man if I can't beat up a dog once in a while? Stop speaking nonsense!
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.