[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WHY ARE PUPPIES SO EXPENSIVE? HOW CAN YOU GO TO SLEEP AT NIGHT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

File: angry_pepe.jpg (40KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
angry_pepe.jpg
40KB, 900x900px
WHY ARE PUPPIES SO EXPENSIVE? HOW CAN YOU GO TO SLEEP AT NIGHT SELLING DOGS FOR 1000$
>>
i got a pit bull here for you bro, only $3.50
>>
if you can't afford buying a 1k dog you can't afford caring for any dog.
>>
>>2252685
how is that true retard

>>2252684
muh murder dogs
>>
>>2252683
health testing is expensive. not just OFA hips/elbows, many breeds need heart and eye screening. a good breeder wants to make sure he isn't passing down health problems to puppies. the purpose of breeding is to make the breed healthier as a whole and that costs money.
>>
>>2252687
>how is that true
because you'll need to have some money saved up incase your pet gets sick and needs to go to a vet.

I bet your parents still pay your taxes.
>>
>>2252691
to add to this, young puppies need a lot of care and this means the breeder needs to stay home for 8-12 weeks. could you afford to take that much time off work once or twice a year? that's a lot of money lost. that time isn't even spent vacationing. it's cleaning up pee and poop, doing early socialization/training, and keeping in contact with the puppies future homes.

most reputable breeders don't make back all of the money they a spend producing a litter.
>>
>>2252697
>most reputable breeders don't make back all of the money they a spend producing a litter.
seems like bs to justify their prices. no one gets into puppy breeding just to barely break even.
>>
>>2252709
breeding is a hobby, not a job.
>>
>>2252709
the prices are so high because it's very expensive to produce a litter. they're not trying to break even, but they can't lose too much money or they won't be able to breed again in the future. reputable breeders aren't trying to make money, they're trying to produce healthy puppies.

if you think a well bred puppy is too expensive you can get one for $300 from a byb. but that dog will likely have hip dysplasia and behavior problems.
>>
quality costs money. breeding healthy dogs with good personalities is not cheap. the basic vet care that a puppy gets before being separated from its mother costs a few hundred dollars, that cost is passed onto the new owner. add to that any other health testing and you're easily near a thousand dollars, and that's all before food and other essential costs.
>>
>>2252683
It's a stupidity tax for people who buy dogs instead of adopting them.
>>
>>2252751
adopting is a good thing to do, but it's not for everyone.
>>
>>2252760
adopting is a bad thing because shelters are a bad thing.

rehabilitation is a waste of resources.
>>
>>2252765
not all dogs in shelters have behavioral problems and need rehabilitation. most do and those animals should be humanely euthanized, but some are very adoptable.
>>
>>2252770
most animals that end up in shelters are neurotic.

>no kill shelters.
more like planet pitbull.
>>
>>2252773
I got a border collie from the shelter in my city. There were lots of little terriers and labs but also some pitbulls. Spending money rehabbing dogs who are aggressive is a waste but most of those dogs are just confused and not getting simulation and exercise. That's why they seem neurotic.
>>
>>2252687
>how is that true retard
Not that i'm in anyway defending that cum guzzling swede, but when you work with pets for a living you can occasionally pick up on whether or not someone's willing to put real effort into their pets based on what they're willing to spend for the animal itself. If I can't expect you to be willing to drop at least a grand for a quality bred animal and the paper work to match, what makes you think that I can trust you to properly provide for the animal? Try and look at it more like this anon; 1k isn't exactly pocket change- i mean it's not much, but it's not pocket change. If you're dropping that money on something, you're going to do whatever you can to ensure you get your money's worth, right? That means maintaining whatever the purchase was so you don't end up having thrown a grand down a hole.
>>
>>2252709
>no one gets into puppy breeding just to barely break even.
idk, the only person I know who's done it, did it as a hobby.
>>
>>2252773
>more like planet pitbull.
lol

Guys what happens to all the pedigree puppies/kittens that don't qualify for shows? Are they able to sell all of them? Seems like it would be hard to get rid of 8+ dogs let year...
>>
>>2252977
I don't think you know anything about dog breeding. In a litter, the dogs who aren't going to be shown go to sporting or pet homes. They aren't dumped in the shelter, that would be a waste. Reputable breeders have a waiting list and every puppy has a home before it's even born.
>>
>>2252709
It's funny you say that, as it's the $200-600 puppies that BYBs make money off of. With a well bred dog, you're paying for vaccines, early socialization, papers to prove it's heritage, the mom and dad going through many health tests to ensure healthy puppies, the mom going to the vet often during pregnancy to ensure healthy pups. And with that $400 puppy, you're just paying $400 for a mutt that no one thought twice about. That's straight $400 in one pocket, whereas the other breeder probably spent a few grand for the entire litter so you're actually getting scammed with the BYB.

>>2252765
Are you and the other tripfag having some sort of competition on who can be the most cancerous?
>>
>>2252983
Maybe it seemed like I was inpkyibg pedigrees went to shelters..I wasn't. I agree that shelters are full of low quality pit mutts. I was just wondering if there is a problem with less valuable puppies getting drowned or whatever by breeders to reduce costs.
>>
Lmao I just paid $2,500 for a goldendoodle this month.
>>
Just adopt a dog, it's not hard to find a well socialized one at a shelter or though fostering programs. Or just check your local criagslist/facebook groups for puppies given away for free which you can train and socialize youself.

But all the dogs i've had in my life were fully grown when they were adopted and they have all been very well behaved and sweet. I found my current doggo running around on the street and had an owner who didn't want her back. And they have all been pretty dogs too, retriever, australian shepherd, collie, and husky mixes, not ghetto pits. (Yes, plenty of great pits out there, but they're not my preference of dog breed).

Paying hundreds of dollars for a dog is for cucks
>>
>>2253023
THIS SHIT RIGHT HERE. Shelters are full of good dogs. Be the owner they need.
>>
>>2253034
Yep. You just have to do be willing to walk away and go back another day or try a different shelter if you can't find a dog you want to adopt. When my parents got their current dog a few years ago we looked at pictures and profiles of dozens of dogs on fostering websites in our area and picked out the cutest looking medium sized one. We went out to their house and they had done a great job training and socializing him with their own two dogs. He's been great since day one.
>>
>>2253020
Nice mutt.
Heads up, reputable breeders are strictly not allowed to crossbreed.
>>
>>2253045
This is the problem most people have. No patience. They come in and want a dog that day. You have no idea how many people come in, not just asking for puppies, but specific breeds. Lab puppy, goldendoodle puppy, puggles, borgel pups. And they are offended when I say we don't have any. It's not a Costco of cheap dogs in bulk.

Anyway that's something that pet stores and BYBs fulfill; impulse buys. You see an add for a puppy on CL or some puppy website, or walk by a puppy in the mall, and as long as you have the money you can take the dog home that day
>>
>>2253145
Enjoy your disease-ridden purebred pups.
>>
>>2253145
outbreeding is a thing, it's been done with dalmatians.
>>
>>2252694
> he pays taxes
I bet you don't even grab pussy faggot
>>
>>2253020
Outed yourself as an intolerable yuppie twat then.
>>
File: 1475123568206.jpg (28KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1475123568206.jpg
28KB, 256x256px
>>2253020
>>
My PRT cost like $600 with all DNA testing available at the time done on both parents.

If you're going for an unhealthy, ridiculously rare, or current fad breed it's going to cost more.
>>
>>2253174
You mean outcrossing. Different from breeding fluffy overpriced mutts to make money off dumbass hipsters.
>>
>>2253020
most people who breed mixes (not talking about sport mixes or outcrossing) don't health test and are just trying to make money. doodle mixes are unnecessary anyway, as most of them still shed. it's a fad.
>>
File: Ruca in jeep.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Ruca in jeep.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>2253174
They were cross bred in the 70s with a different yet compatible breed in an effort to get away from the dominate genes that cause dalmatian kidney stone issues. These ULA dogs were never intended to become a different or separate breed from dalmatians, only an improvement on the dogs health. Visually there is no difference because the breeders did all they could to keep the breed standard.
Ironically breeders focusing on the breed standards and especially the dogs well known spotted coats generally produce unhealthy dogs, and these are the dogs you see in the show ring.
>>
>>2253317
I buy them cause we've always had them. Not because it's a fad or because they "don't shed". They have the temperament of a golden retriever and the health of a mutt.
>>
>>2253365
Get a Golden Retriever mutt from a rescue then. Same thing but cheaper.
>>
>>2253365
Mutts aren't healthier. That's a myth.
>>
>>2253384
http://www.instituteofcaninebiology.org/blog/the-myth-of-hybrid-vigor-in-dogsis-a-myth

Ouch. Looks like you're wrong.
>>
>>2252683
get a rescue
>>
>>2253436
Depends on the breed really. A purebred of a healthy breed e.g. Whippet is going to be better off than a cross of say a Great Dane/Doberman (if it lives long enough before its heart explodes)
>>
>>2253452
Yes, that's a given.
>>
>>2252712
>reputable breeders aren't trying to make money, they're trying to produce healthy puppies.
lol
>>
>>2252961
>i spent a grand on it so I have to take care of it
I wish my sister had this mentality.
In fact I don't there is nearly as many people with it as you think.
>>
>>2253497
Pug breeders aren't reputable.
>>
>>2253504
Tell that to the kennel club.
>>
>>2253505
they didn't even want to accept healthy dalmations until recently because >>2253353

the 'kennel club' isn't a group of geneticists, it's a bunch of conservate mouth breathers.
>>
>>2253508
Yeah and they're the ones who decide what a reputable breeder is.
No wonder purebreds are so fucked up.
>>
>>2253544
no they don't, reputable breeders are the ones that wanted to outbreed dalmations to begin with.
>>
>>2253552
reputable breeders outcrossed dalmatians with pointers in order to resolve high uric acid, which is a health issue that was common in dals.

reputable breeders are also breeding brachycephalic dogs to have longer muzzles so they can breathe easier.
>>
>>2252687
>responding to a tripfag
>especially retarded bugguy
>>
>>2253552
>>2253555
Theres a difference between a reputable breeder and a responsible breeder.
As I said reputable breeders are all part of the kennel club because thats how you get reputation.
Responsible breeders are locked out because healthy dogs goes against the kennel clubs retarded guidelines.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.