[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone have any experience with service dogs? All they all they're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: 27w8.jpg (451KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
27w8.jpg
451KB, 960x1280px
Anyone have any experience with service dogs? All they all they're chocked up to be?

One of my relatives is going blind and he's thinking of getting a seeing eye dog. He prefers small dogs like Pugs and Shih Tzus but I don't think he'd mind a bigger one.
>>
>>2251932
>chocked
You should probably kill yourself.
>>
File: 1421003730779.jpg (256KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1421003730779.jpg
256KB, 768x1024px
>>2251932
>All they all they're chocked up to be?
Elaborate pls.

Also a small breed is not going to work as a seeing dog.

I feel sorry for service dogs. Their lives are hell. All work, no fun. Very often their "owners" are ugly (personality-wise) people as well. Usually, they are Golden Retrievers, which makes matters even worse as they are literally angels on earth who did nothing to deserve this. FeelsBadMan
>>
>>2251945

I meant "Is having a service dog worth it or is it just troublesome for the person and/or dog?"

I am aware only large dogs can be service dogs. That's what I said. He prefers small dogs but that won't do here.
>>
>>2251945
>they are literally angels on earth who did nothing to deserve this
Yes.
>>
>>2251945
My university has a service dog training program that students can volunteer for. They are golden retrievers and black labs.

They are very well-behaved, but I do feel a little bad for them. You can see it in their eyes when they walk past a person for a split second they want to get excited and play and stuff and then they remember they aren't allowed to and go back to restraining themselves.

It's pretty funny
>>
So people with service dogs treat them like shit and never play with them and simply treat them as a tool? Companionship and service are mutually exclusive?

First time I'm hearing this.
>>
File: 15300-in-use-2.jpg (3MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
15300-in-use-2.jpg
3MB, 2816x2112px
>>2251936
>>
File: 1458065275025.jpg (41KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1458065275025.jpg
41KB, 480x640px
>>2251932
>One of my relatives is going blind and he's thinking of getting a seeing eye dog
I would off myself before getting a service dog. No need to bring more suffering and misery into this world. If I don't get the dog, hopefully it will lead a happy life somewhere else.
>>
>>2252730
I don't think this is true.

Look up Harlow the Helper Dog. She performs all her commands and also gets lots of pars and love, it looks like.

I don't think dogs are miserable when they're working. It's a game for them. Goldens and Labs aim to please their owners and are eager to follow commands. They don't recognize that they have a "job" while other dogs don't
>>
>>2252743

Agreed, most of the service dogs I've known have seemed pretty happy. They still get downtime as they're rarely needed at home, and they're with their owner most of the time instead of being shut up alone in a house for nine hours a day like many pets. Not every dog is temperamentally suited to it or would enjoy the work, but those that get through the program are those that are motivated and do have the drive to work closely with their owner and remain switched on when they're needed.

Having said that, while service dogs are great, it's important to be realistic about what they can do. For a blind owner, a guide dog will help to keep them safe by guiding them around obstacles and recognising certain dangers such as traffic. However, the human still has to navigate and ultimately makes the decision, the dog just helps to find the safest path when its told which way to go.
>>
>>2252730

I was taught that service dogs were not "normal dogs". They're not to be petted or played with. I think that only applies to when they're outside with their owner but inside the house they're probably treated more like dogs that just have a job.
>>
>>2253539
There's a reason they carry a sign telling people not to pet them or feed or distract them when they're out in public actually leading a blind person around.

There's no reason their owners wouldn't treat them like any other dog once they're home, though.
>>
>>2251932
My girlfriend has this friend and she is the most cancerous person I have ever met.
The kind of person who keeps four large dogs in an apartment and only walks them once every three or four days.. Not to mention the other animals she has that never leave their cages.
She got a service dog that would normally goes to veterans ($20,000 paid for by the government) because she has "anxiety and depression". Mind you she grew up in a wealthy spending her childhood growing up all over the world.
Anyway, dogo seemed cool. Very friendly and affectionate, would recommend for someone that actually needed it.
>>
>>2252720
Wouldn't german shepherds be a better fit for that, seeing as they are usually aloof and like to stick to one person?

I know they train them for it too because I've seen two before. One for a blind person, and one for a half crippled lady with huge anxiety problems.
>>
>>2253561

Being wealthy doesn't make you free from mental illness. I am pretty sure that is an Emotional Support Animal, not a Service Dog. There are different regulations between them.
>>
>>2251945
Dogs were literally made to serve humans

Stop anthropomorphizing them
>>
>>2252735

Tbqh, I would rather go deaf than blind by far. But I don't think it's the end of the world if I go blind. That means goodbye to game collecting but I can still listen to movies and music and all that jazz at least. Of course, I am saying this as a vision abled person so my opinion is irrelevant compared to my relatives. It's really a shame he is the one going blind. He was the one I used to go to the movies with and talk about movies with.
>>
i adopted a service doggo, he worked with special needs children and was retired for stress reasons - hes just like any other dog really.
>>
I live in a dorm and one of my friends down the hall has a service dog for seizures. He's a sweet doggo, only 11 months old and we play with him all the time. The only time we aren't allowed to pet him is if he's vested and he 's really good at understanding when he's in the vest he's only to be with his owner. Since she's an equestrian major, she can't bring him into the barn so I end up watching him a lot so he's not stuck in his kennel for 2 hours and the entire time he just waits for his owner to be back.
>>
>>2255899
what a good doggre! does he follow her when she rides horse?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2256592
He used to! Except one of the horses got freaked out since they're all donated to the school and don't have experience around dogs, so it trampled the dog. He's fine though and goes to work with her (she works at a hunter/jumper barn outside of school) and just plays around while she cleans stalls. Pic related is the dog.
>>
>>2251932

What do you mean by "service dog"? Most people don't know what these terms mean. Do you mean "Emotional Support Dog?"

I have an AKC ACGC support dog that we use to volunteer on the weekends to children animals and retirement homes, not actually for ourselves. ACGC is the top shelf in training that make them, at a glance, indistinguishable for ADA Service Dogs because their behavior is so damn good. I could tell you quite a bit about that branch of working dogs. We've done over 100 volunteer sessions as of last month.

And no, he is not neglected or unloved. He's a family dog first. A trainer just recognized he had the gift to sense and respond to emotional shifts better than most dogs at an early age, so we nurtured that. If anything, all the work we do together makes us closer.
>>
>>2256927
OP said it would be for a relative going blind, so he would need a service dog, not a support animal.
>>
>>2251932
Depends, is it a service dog when it licks peanut butter off my balls?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.