[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How old should be my first cat? I'm adopting it. I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 2

File: 1475470300556.gif (2MB, 300x262px) Image search: [Google]
1475470300556.gif
2MB, 300x262px
How old should be my first cat? I'm adopting it.
I've read that older cats are better, but how old?
>>
Every different age of cat has benefits. What do you want out of your cat, OP?
>>
>>2247724
I want to have a bond with it, not to just be his feeder. Basically I want a social and friendly cat.
>>
>>2247738
>bond
>social
>friendly

Don't get a cat.
>>
Rescue an older cat from a shelter or adopt a kitten and raise it. If you're talking breeds and want a social cat get an Abyssinian, smart and friendly. More dog-like than any cat you'll find. Any cat has the potential to be friendly and have what you're looking for but you never know what you're working with until you get a feel for the individual's personality. If you're going to a shelter ask if you can spend some time with the kitties and look for the one with the best temperament.
>>
>>2247717
don't worry about age. go into the shelter and find the cat you like best. get a cat at least 2 years old so their personality is pretty set already. definitely spend a few hours hanging out with the cats. sometimes the shy ones are the most affectionate.
>>
>>2247912
>>>/s4s/
the meme board is that way
>>
>>2247717
It's just a shitty cat

Get whatever and call it a day
>>
>>2247962
>thinking it's a meme to hate cats

Actually it's a meme to love them.
>>
>>2247717
So the prophesy is true
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwmeH6Rnj2E
>>
That applies to practically every animal in existence.
>>
>>2247962
Well he does have a point. Cats are usually none of what you listed in your wants apart from maybe a munchkin.
>>
>>2247986
Nah, it's a meme to hate them. Indoor cats will cuddle you, lick you, and jump up on your bed for attention.
>>
>>2247717
Get a kitten an train it yourself. Make it as cuddly as you want it to be
>>
File: 1477087946503.jpg (121KB, 491x573px) Image search: [Google]
1477087946503.jpg
121KB, 491x573px
>>2248930
I've read from several sources that kittens experience big personality changes. A cuddly and goofy kitty can turn into a spiteful cunt that pushes all your stuff from the shelves and tries to scratch you face if you get close to it.
>>
>>2248219
Anyone who has ever had a cat knows that this isn't true.
>>
>>2249028
It is true though
>>
>>2249053
It's not. 99.9% of cats are violent for no reason
>>
>>2249054
nice source
>>
>>2249054
my cat only scratches when she's picked up, and to be fair they weren't really made to be picked up
>>
>>2249059
>cat scratches

Exactly. Violent for no reason. Dogs that act like that are put down.
>>
>>2249070
That's not violent you fucking retard.
>>
>>2249081
cat scratches are worse than dog bites.

higher infection rate, toxplasmosis, etc.
>>
>>2249082
Cat scratches never go in deep, fuck off dogfaggot.
>>
>>2249081
>scratching isn't violent

Then wtf is it?
>>
>>2249070
what? she bunny kicks me and flails a little. dogs do that too, you're retarded.
>>
>>2249085
Doesn't matter if it goes in deep or not. Still has a much higher rate of infection than dog bites. Just because it is an 8 pound animal that can't do much doesn't mean it isn't acting violently.
>>
>>2249085
they don't have to, cat scatches are puncture wounds, dog bites often aren't.

their teeth are too dull, the infection rate of wounds inflicted by cats is extremely high, while that of dogs is low.
>>
>>2249090
You just said she scratches you. Scratching is how cats attack people.
>>
>>2249094
she pushes at me with her back paws when she flails, that's a bunny kick. since she has claws I get scratched.

I don't think that's especially violent, but my point was that it wasn't for no reason. if you want a passive animal you can carry around, get a stuffed animal.

>>2249093
>extremely high

nobody is going to get an infection from a cat scratch unless they're very old, sick, young or nasty.
>>
>>2249094
no it isn't
>>
>>2249093
You really need to be banned from this board. You don't seem to like animals at all. Why don't you go back to /r9k/ or /b/ or even /s4s/. There are a lot of options for you to be a cunt. Also: filtered.
>>
>>2249587
>states a fact
>"you need to be banned!"
>>
>>2249587
???
>>
>>2249103
Yes it is. Biting and scratching is how cats attack.
>>
>>2249591
>>2249591
>states the same opinion on every single thread and harasses every single person who disagrees with it
>shouldn't be banned
>>
>>2248219
Shit in a box, stink up your house, give you toxoplasmosis, and may not even do the things you said as well
>>
>>2249028
Owner of 2 indoor black cats here. I've never been scratched, unless kneading counts. Fuck off. Indoor cats are extremely affectionate animals if they are loved by their owner in return.

Also, I'd recommend raising it from an infant. It grows very attached to you. Both of mine were received when they were about 3 weeks old.
>>
>>2249614
>getting 3 week old cats

Cat owners are such fucking neglectful idiots.
>>
>>2249593
Yes, it's how they attack if they're alarmed. I tried to teach my cats how to be picked up, and they'd wriggle a bit and accidentally scratch. That's it, unless kneading counts.

The only time I've ever heard my cats hiss was when I accidentally left the door open and an outdoor cat wanted to get in. That's literally it. Hating on indoor cats is a meme. You have to own one to understand them. I also used to own a dog, and he was less affectionate. I still love dogs, though. You don't see me shitting on them.
>>
>>2249615
I don't know the exact fucking age. It might have been 2 or 4, I don't know. The point is to get them rather young so they become attached.

You've clearly never owned an indoor cat, with all of this needless hate.
>>
>>2249617
You are supposed to wait until they are AT LEAST 8 weeks old before you take them from their mother.

>just another idiot cat owner that doesn't give a shit about his animals
>>
>>2249619
Calm the fuck down. I didn't remember how old they were when we got them. I'm not a vet, I don't know this shit. I just browse /an/ because I love animals. You didn't even address any of the other points I made.
>>
>>2249622
Sorry about the wording. I meant to say that I didn't remember their age when we got them right now.

They were definitely of the correct age when we got them, I just forgot.
>>
>>2249622
>being this triggered

newfriend.
>>
>>2249624
Well I love my animal. Sorry.

It seems you've been backed into a corner, either way. You're just throwing around words instead of making a valid point. Either way, I know people like you don't change unless they actually own a cat.

You're clearly just uneducated. Indoor cats are extremely affectionate.

My cats will wait every night to cuddle with me. One of mine won't let me sleep without her nestled on top of my back. The other will follow me around the house for affection, which I give them.

It's not that they're bored, either. I have a lot of toys in my room that I use to play with them for an hour or two every day. They have scratching posts, a cat fort, etc.
>>
>>2249627
There are people like you in every thread, who freak out whenever a cat is evem slightly mentioned. They always go silent when they're BTFO.

I understand the problem with outdoor cats, but indoor cats are a nice beginner animal to have.
>>
>>2249627
>still being this triggered

Cats are pretty gross. I don't care about them if they are kept indoors, just know that your house will smell like ammonia and shit forever. It's nasty.
>>
>>2249633
Pfft. Throwing another buzz word and calling them smelly. Guess you hate ferrets too.

As for being triggered, I really fucking am. There's one of you fuckers rearing your ugly heads into our threads.
>>
>>2249645
At least ferret smell goes away after a few weeks (at worse). In the past when I've been house hunting I can always tell immediately if the previous owners had a cat, even if it's been months since they've moved out.
>>
>>2249661
Whatever. Even if they do smell horrible, it's worth it. I love them.
>>
Well, cats are extremely filthy animals. They pretend to clean themselves with their own saliva, and carry poop everywhere in their paws.
>>
>>2249006
Care to provide any of these sources m8?
>>
>>2249082
Oh boy, it's the old toxoplasmosis meme. Fuck off, that bitch ass parasite is only dangerous to mice and embryos.
>>
>>2249092
>>2249093
It's called washing it off and putting some neosporin on it you whiny cunts. Jesus Christ,I'll be your mothers never let you play outside 'cause you might get hurt.
>>
>>2247717
It's just a cat

Get whatever, they're all the same
>>
>>2250166
can't be further from the truth, each of my cats have their own personalities, one thing for sure if you are an asshole to a cat don't expect anything in return
>>
>>2249088
Cats scratch and bite at each other when they play, they don't understand that Human skin isn't protected by fur, so they bite and scratch. To them, they're playing around, they don't know they're hurting you.
>>
>>2250280
True. I had many cats in my lifetime so I can tell that every cat is different. I remember having a black kitto, who was very lovely, he almost never scrached, basically, a black fuzz of love. Now I have a 4 month old black and white kitten who never purred for a human, only for his mum. The youngster is quite scratchy, but not because he wants to hurt you, but because he's playful.

I love every kind of animal in general. Mice, birbs, reptiles, dogs, spiders - I love them all. Every pet is different and charming in their own way.
Cat hating is a meme. It's time to stop.
>>
>>2249633
Lad, dogs smell even worse than cats.
If you want almost no smell, keep a reptile or something.
>>
Older cats can help you learn the ropes i recommend 4 years because they are past the teen years and their personality is there.

Plus is better to adopt kittens as pairs if you arent available all the time.

And older cats need love too
>>
>>2249006
I've also read from several sources that elvis is still alive.
To stay on topic I think Elvis Presley could be quite a good name for a cat.
>>
>>2247912
>>2247717

maybe its the type of cats you've seen. I've had my first for almost 3 months and I can tell it loves me. It follows me and sits on my lap everytime I sit. I got mine at 4 months old and she was playful and friendly when I met her at the adoption center.
>>
>>2250351
Older cats are great. They are serious little love bugs.

I almost took home a senior cat. He followed me around the shelter, and when I laid down to pet him, he licked my hand. When I lifted it up, he grabbed my hand with his paws and pulled it down to lick more. He was really sweet.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.